PDA

View Full Version : Red Jacket AR at Academy

Jake Bauer
02-08-12, 21:51
Got a real Red Jacket AR in at the academy I work at today. It's the black one of these:

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=46&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6#

I broke it down and it seems very well put together. Everything is staked correctly. Bolt is MPI/HPT, M16 BCG, 1/7 chrome lined barrel. Only thing I forgot to check for was whether it had an H buffer or not. I'll check tomorrow. Interesting flash suppressor on it. Nice Magpul furniture and BUIS. I think it's well worth the asking price. (considering the bushmasters we sell next to it on the rack go as far up as $999)

I like my DD better, but these appear to be quality rifles even if you don't like the show. ;)

CoryCop25
02-08-12, 21:53
It's a Spike's Tactical with RJF slapped all over it.

Reagans Rascals
02-08-12, 22:02
you'd be better off taking the $1,225 you would spend on that rifle, going downtown and paying a hobo to kick you in the dick

devinsdad
02-08-12, 22:08
Say what you want, but there is a backlog of orders at Red Jacket. They advertise a standard AR for $1,255...quite alot for nothing special other than the fact that it was put together by someone employeed at RJF. I'd like to see where they assemble these at, cause the few folks on the show sure ain't turning out enough to be able to stock...anywhere. I don't for a minute doubt it's a quality firearm, with quality components that will last, but my contempt for the show would keep me from buying anything they sell.

obucina
02-08-12, 22:11
you'd be better off taking the $1,225 you would spend on that rifle, going downtown and paying a hobo to kick you in the dick

1,225 is a joke! I could get a 6920 and 1000 rounds for that!

ucrt
02-08-12, 22:18

Remembering that they had a RJ "Accurized" Olympic Arms on their website when the show first aired for $1800, I doubt they reduced their profit margins since they've become so popular nor does it look like they increased their knowledge about AR's from what I seen on their shows.

Personally, I do doubt that it is a quality firearm...

But maybe it's just me...

rezin23
02-08-12, 22:20
You'd be better off with a Colt 6920.

Casull
02-08-12, 22:35
Colt does indeed offer a better deal. Although I don't know if maybe there's something to these. I'd like to handle their builds and see what's up.

I am all for supporting new smaller companies so if you feel it's okay even compared to your DD then it's probably not so bad.

Again, though.. Colt does give a better deal.

loganp0916
02-08-12, 22:41

Lmao!!
Seriously. I'd also rather have a 6920 or a number of other ar's +1000 rounds instead

Iraqgunz
02-08-12, 22:54
Comparing this to a BM and saying it is a good value, is completely wrong. BM is overpriced and the model you speak of for 999.00 is overpriced for sure.

I would buy a Colt, DD or BCM any day of the week before I would get some RJC. Especially after seeing how they do things.

obucina
02-08-12, 23:00
Lmao!!
Seriously. I'd also rather have a 6920 or a number of other ar's +1000 rounds instead

there is a guy who has a pair of LE6920s that he brings to the west palm gun show, last time I was there, he had them marked at $995. Big placards with "blow out" "last two LE6920s I have" etc....He sits right in front of the Gun Country table with a bunch of DPMS crapbines...everyone fingers the DPMS guns, never touches the ponies.

grunz
02-08-12, 23:02
For the $1200+ they ask for this bare bones gun you can get a DD rifle with a nice modern free float rail... Just saying.

jhs1969
02-08-12, 23:45

Best line I've seen in awhile, and so true.

Iraqgunz
Comparing this to a BM and saying it is a good value, is completely wrong. BM is overpriced and the model you speak of for 999.00 is overpriced for sure.

I would buy a Colt, DD or BCM any day of the week before I would get some RJC. Especially after seeing how they do things

This, x 10.

pira114
02-09-12, 01:42
I'm convinced that this show and that other stupid "gunsmith" show were put on the air by anti-gun people. They found the biggest retards they could to represent the community in an effort to bring discredit to all of us. This I am sure of.

And no, I don't think it "gets more people interested in guns." It makes more stupid gun owners. Of this I am also sure.

**** RJ and that price.

Norinco
02-09-12, 03:34

So ****ed up. So true. :lol:

MistWolf
02-09-12, 05:41
I dunno, I think I'd rather spend $1225 on Straight Jacket rifle than a swift kick in the crotch from a hobo. The Straight Jacket rifle, being so cool and all, would sell pretty fast over on TOS. Even if I reduced my price to $5 per punt, it's doubtful I'd find many customers willing to pay for a swift kick to the crotch, even if it came the original box and a transferable lifetime warranty

TedG
02-09-12, 07:31

Excellent laugh to start my morning. :laugh:

TedG
02-09-12, 07:33
there is a guy who has a pair of LE6920s that he brings to the west palm gun show, last time I was there, he had them marked at $995. Big placards with "blow out" "last two LE6920s I have" etc....He sits right in front of the Gun Country table with a bunch of DPMS crapbines...everyone fingers the DPMS guns, never touches the ponies.

I'm going to look for him this weekend.

aaron_c
02-09-12, 08:16
I wouldn't buy any serious rifle from a company where the owner berated his employee on national TV for asking if he could use the proper tool to set the head spacing on a SNIPER RIFLE. Apparently, at RJ, the proper way to build a sniper rifle is to "eyeball it". No thanks, I'd rather build a rifle myself.

Ken1973
02-09-12, 08:30
I'm convinced that this show and that other stupid "gunsmith" show were put on the air by anti-gun people. They found the biggest retards they could to represent the community in an effort to bring discredit to all of us. This I am sure of.

And no, I don't think it "gets more people interested in guns." It makes more stupid gun owners. Of this I am also sure.

**** RJ and that price.

Agree 100%

On the other hand, I've watched "American Guns" on Discovery a few times and really enjoyed it. Much better portrayal of the community.

R0CKETMAN
02-09-12, 08:33
Hope it wasn't built by this idiot.....be careful
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/312635a0.jpg

An Undocumented Worker
02-09-12, 09:10
To be perfectly honest, even if they made the most reliable AR-15 money could buy, I wouldn't buy it based on the level of buffoonery displayed on that show. Is it possible that they have a decent business operating under the radar of the show, maybe. But I just couldn't support them based on my outright aversion to drama.

digdug18
02-09-12, 09:18
Say what you want, but there is a backlog of orders at Red Jacket. They advertise a standard AR for $1,255...quite alot for nothing special other than the fact that it was put together by someone employeed at RJF. I'd like to see where they assemble these at, cause the few folks on the show sure ain't turning out enough to be able to stock...anywhere. I don't for a minute doubt it's a quality firearm, with quality components that will last, but my contempt for the show would keep me from buying anything they sell.

Completely Agree. I sometimes watch the tv show, but prefer a good episode of Bait Car

Jaysop
02-09-12, 09:21
On the other hand, I've watched "American Guns" on Discovery a few times and really enjoyed it. Much better portrayal of the community.

Yes much more professional, not everything they shoot blows up...

I watched the last episode of RJ and if that Contract really is the most important they've ever had why leave the build in the hands of someone who is completely incompetent? That shows me something in its own right.

obucina
02-09-12, 09:48
I'm going to look for him this weekend.

good luck, I hope you snag one!

SANDMAN23
02-09-12, 09:51
Why anyone would spend that amount of money on a "Red Jacket" AR is beyond me! Just buy a Colt or BCM for less money and save yourself the embarrassment!

That show and their shop is a JOKE! I don't know if it was mentioned on here before or not but a while back Will and his daughter lost their FFL's. "ATF conducted a routine inspection of RJF and discovered 10 guns registered to the company could not be accounted for." Will struck a deal with the feds in 2010, in which the two agreed to surrender their gun-making licenses and in exchange, they could appoint a LICENSED person to take over the company."

bdcheung
02-09-12, 10:07
<snip>

"ATF conducted a routine inspection of RJF and discovered 10 guns registered to the company could not be accounted for." Will struck a deal with the feds in 2010, in which the two agreed to surrender their gun-making licenses and in exchange, they could appoint a LICENSED person to take over the company."

That person was Vince who, incidentally, left Red Jacket.

duece71
02-09-12, 10:17
For every RJ AR purchased, a free pair of clown shoes is included in the price. Just so you all are aware. What a deal! :p You will be sooo fashionable at the range, at class, during a raid, etc...

Brian1/75
02-09-12, 10:35
Agree 100%

I saw this show and got curious about this shop since they seemed to do decent custom builds. It turns out these goons straight up do some criminal business practices. Still a decent show I suppose.

p22shooter30
02-09-12, 10:44
looks good, too bad its not a midlength

TacCommE21
02-09-12, 11:07
"American Guns" is on the same level of asshattery as RJF, just with a better looking central female character (the daughter). The mom looks like someone drove a bus into her face. They screw up as many builds as RJF.

I'd rather watch C-SPAN.

ericb
02-09-12, 11:18
Overhyped and overpriced.

fixit69
02-09-12, 11:45
Oh my God.

I thought you guys were yanking my chain. I just looked this up. I can't believe this is really happening. Why? What the hell? More than that, how the hell are they going to get someone to actually take them seriously enough to to shell out that much.

Oh, I forgot about most of the market.

p22shooter30
02-09-12, 11:50
they must be really well put together. they spend a week building each AR that goes thru the shop.

aaron_c
02-09-12, 12:36
they must be really well put together. they spend a week building each AR that goes thru the shop.

95% of which is probably spent blowing crap up, breaking laws, and playing guitars that shoot sparks out of them.

crusader377
02-09-12, 13:19
At $1250 you got ripped off. You could have saved nearly $300 and bought a Colt from GR Tactical.

mrosamilia
02-09-12, 13:22

Sweeeet!!! I just laughed loudly in a conference call after reading this!!

loganp0916
02-09-12, 13:38
"American Guns" is on the same level of asshattery as RJF, just with a better looking central female character (the daughter). The mom looks like someone drove a bus into her face. They screw up as many builds as RJF.

I'd rather watch C-SPAN.

I'd just like to point out that the mom from American guns looks like the doctor/mad scientist from "Nightmare Before Christmas"

p22shooter30
02-09-12, 13:49
Tim Buton produces the show. it is no accident.

SomeOtherGuy
02-09-12, 13:51
Meh. I'm holding out for the Red Jacket WASR. I hear it has Century copies of Command Arms copies of early sketches of Magpul furniture, so it's going to be the coolest thing EVAH.

J_Dub_503
02-09-12, 17:43

I'm not qualified to handout awards so I'll give you a round of applause.

cop1211
02-09-12, 19:39
I saw this show and got curious about this shop since they seemed to do decent custom builds. It turns out these goons straight up do some criminal business practices. Still a decent show I suppose.

This. Plus they are some GREEDY sob's, saw an episode where they charged a rancher 14,000 for an American made "custom" yellow boy rifle!!

An Uberti cost 1,400.

What a complete ripoff.

Dunderway
02-09-12, 20:52
I agree with everything said about this AR and these cable shows, but this thread has turned into something that should not be in a technical section of M4C IMHO.

TacCommE21
02-09-12, 20:57
Which is what every thread that mentions Red Jacket et al. turns into. That is, something not worthy of an M4C technical thread.:nono:

Jake Bauer
02-10-12, 00:13
Guys I know that you can get a probably better rifle than this like a DD (Hence why I have one) or colt/bcm/lmt/noveske etc.

And yeah I know good and well the the $999 bushmaster we sell is grotesquely overpriced but it aint my shop, thats just what the company sells it for. It kills me every time I sell one to a guy who doesnt know any better, and believe me I have had several customers who will tell me straight to my face that "It dont get much better than Bushmaster when it comes to ARs". And by the way, the sticker price on the red jacket gun isnt what's listed on their website.

I agree that the show is pretty ridiculous to guys that know about good quality weapons but I gotta tell ya, we are getting a lot of customers who have never even shot a gun or owned one coming in to look at/buy guns because it looks like fun on shows like sons of guns/american guns/top shot. I appreciate the networks letting shows like these on the air to get more positive interest in the industry.

I'd like to put a few thousand rounds through this gun to see if the quality is there, but I guess they wont let me. But like I said before, as far as the checklist of things to look for in/on a quality rifle goes, this one looks pretty good. However, inspecting the buffer today, I cant tell what it is because the buffer itself is all black with a big silver RJF logo on it. :p

SWATcop556
02-10-12, 00:34
This is not a tech thread and just like Tons of Dumb, this one needs to die a quiet death somewhere.