PDA

View Full Version : Heinie sight question - glock 19

ejewels
02-08-12, 22:26
Hey Guys,

I hate the plastic glock sights on my 19 gen 4. I've been wanting to replace them for a while now. I'm interested in the heinie straight 8s night sights. I've heard (even officially from heinie) that the sights can shoot high on the 19s... especially at longer distances. My questions are as follows:

1) Is this always the case or just on some 19s? If they shoot high, should I automatically buy the taller front sight or just wait and see if its OK?

2) Which would be the most accurate / precise for target shooting... the standard or the QWIKs?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

kgwld1
02-09-12, 07:24
I have the standard straight eights on my 17,19, and 26. They all shoot similar on all 3 I had them on my 34 but switched to another brand for f/o front sight.

I also have them on a kahr pm9 but it has a wider rear notch I do prefer the glock rear sight width to the kahrs wider one.

I've switched to hk's p30, hk 45c, and p2000 sk and have 3 dots on all of those. So the point being I can't exactly tell you poa poi for the heinies its been awhile since I have run them

Hope this helps some

d90king
02-09-12, 10:33
If memory serves they are roughly 2" high at 25yds. Most who run them simply run a six o clock hold to compensate. You wont notice much difference inside 15yds.

This is not entirely unusual for some sights to shoot a little high at 25yds.

operator81
02-09-12, 11:13
I have them on a G19, 17, 34 and 21. They all shoot POA/POI for me. When making headshots at 25 yards is where I'd notice a shift and they all go where I want them. But that could be more of an ammunition selection thing rather than sights on my end. 2" high at 25 yards isn't a deal breaker.

gun71530
02-09-12, 14:17
I also have Straight Eights on my Glock 19. I agree with whats already been stated, inside 15 yards it doesn't matter. At 25yards just go for the 6 o'clock hold.

YVK
02-09-12, 16:09
That's the only problem that I have with Heinie sights - they offer only one front sight height, which for Glock is 0.215 in.

I agree with whats already been stated, inside 15 yards it doesn't matter. At 25yards just go for the 6 o'clock hold.

That's what I did, and it came back and bit me in P-Mac's T.A.P.S. class. My POI at 25 was still a bit high with 6 o'clock hold but looked generally satisfactory to me. However, when I had to make shots at 50 and longer like on walk back and other drills, shots that I fully expected myself to make, I missed high. That simply told me that even with 6 o'clock I wasn't really close to a true zero at 25. I installed a 0.235 10-8 front sight, and life is better.
This is only relevant if you're anal about accuracy and intend to shoot long distance; otherwise keep Heinie front.

dirt_diver
02-09-12, 16:28
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98840

This might be helpful.
:)

ejewels
02-09-12, 20:18
That's what I did, and it came back and bit me in P-Mac's T.A.P.S. class. My POI at 25 was still a bit high with 6 o'clock hold but looked generally satisfactory to me. However, when I had to make shots at 50 and longer like on walk back and other drills, shots that I fully expected myself to make, I missed high. That simply told me that even with 6 o'clock I wasn't really close to a true zero at 25. I installed a 0.235 10-8 front sight, and life is better.
This is only relevant if you're anal about accuracy and intend to shoot long distance; otherwise keep Heinie front.

So maybe I'm confused. If the taller sight helps with accuracy and lowers POI out past 25 yards, wouldn't that mean POA/POI closer in would now be low? If thats not the case, wouldn't everyone want the .235 taller sight? I want whatever is most accurate for target shooting.

YVK
02-09-12, 22:41
At 25 feet, where most of my shooting is done, it was a non-issue. Since at that distance most of my shooting is done at relatively high speed, the variability of impact could've been perceived simply as shooter-driven. Having said that, you're right, there was a difference in poa/poi, but at close distances the difference didn't appear to be significant.

As far as why not have 0.235 on every gun, I guess there is a gun-to-gun variability. Some are fine with 0.215, some folks have even taller 0.255 front sights.