PDA

View Full Version : Dotted g17 or g19

Guns-up.50
02-08-12, 22:27
Ok so I cant make up my mind so I'm turning to you all. I already hava a g17rtf2 and a g19. Right now I am trading a gun(not a glock) for either another 17 or 19. I am planing on putting an RMR and threaded barrel. I dont really plan to carry it, it would be a class/ range pistol. My question is which one should I do,from your expirences(pros and cons)and I know in the end of the day its whatever is more comfortable for me, but I am looking for opinions and suggestions. I really like both pistols I just need a little guidence.

Thanks is advance

uwe1
02-08-12, 22:30
It might be a good idea to have a training gun set up exactly like your carry gun.

tdoom15
02-08-12, 23:35
For what you are describing, I would go with the 17. Only reason being the benefits that come from a slightly larger gun. I have no experience with any rds for pistols but it seems to me that it would be more proportionate on a full size pistol.

ClearedHot
02-09-12, 01:01
I would pick the G19, but you should get what suits YOUR needs the best. ;)

Don Robison
02-09-12, 01:15
You can't go wrong with either one. I prefer the 17 just because it fits my hand better and I shoot it better than the 19, but whichever one you prefer is the right answer.
We have students and staff running RMRs on just about every model of Glock and they all work equally well and people like the various models for different reasons.

Psalms144.1
02-09-12, 06:19
For your stated, intended use, the G17 seems the obvious choice.

The G19 is MY clear favorite, since it hits such a "sweet spot" of concealability and shootability; but, for a range or night stand only gun, it doesn't seem reasonable to give up the extra barrel. In fact, for a range/training only gun, wouldn't a G34 make even more sense?

Regards,

Kevin

jamaicanj
02-09-12, 08:30
I had the same question as you and could not decide which pistol 34, 17, or 19 to put my rmr on. I chose the 17 and had the slide milled by Mark Housel.

The link to Mark's site http://landmprecisiongunworks.com/About-us.php and

I did not get a chance to try out a RDS pistol before so my pistol was going to be a first for me as I went on faith from reading all the reviews throughout all the forums. I love my rmr'ed G17 and have no regrets. The only thing that gets some getting used to is trying to find the dot initially. Mark installed suppressor sights for me and I found that I could find the dot faster if I was not looking for it but rather focusing on the standard sights as I was accustomed to. After a few hundred presentation drills the dot now jumps out at me and I'm back on track.

All the best

J