PDA

View Full Version : Gas Block Question

benne911
02-08-12, 22:30
I currently have the stock handguards with stock front post sight on my bushmaster law enforcement carbine m4a3. I want to put freefloating handguards. If I get a longer length rail system than I currently have, would I only have to remove front sight post and replace with a small gas block only system? (I would then use BUIS).

Funkenstein
02-08-12, 22:35
Yes, just get a low profile and make sure it fits your barrel diameter size.

benne911
02-08-12, 22:47
Thanks for the reply. My rifle is carbine length gas system. If I put the low profile carbine length gas block, can I use a mid length quad rail if it fits over??

TestaRossa
02-08-12, 22:57
Thanks for the reply. My rifle is carbine length gas system. If I put the low profile carbine length gas block, can I use a mid length quad rail if it fits over??

That would depend on the specific gas block and quad rail setup you're going for. For example I had to do some dremeling on my low-profile gas block when installing my URX II. However for many of the rails out there you should be fine.

benne911
02-08-12, 22:59
Yah, I was just wondering if its common or accepted to use a mid length quad rail over a carbine length gas system

Jaysop
02-08-12, 23:00
Why not just chop the FSB instead?

benne911
02-08-12, 23:26
I can do that too. I was just trying to imply if you can keep the carbine gas system and use mid length rails if it can fit over the block.

Funkenstein
02-08-12, 23:54
Sometimes you can, depends on the clearance of the rail you intend to put on. Gas blocks are fairly inexpensive, that's what I would probably recommend.

Iraqgunz
02-09-12, 01:12
Your truly best option is to cut the FSB, grind it down and refinish it. It will cost you less and be more reliable than some screwed on junk.

Generalpie
02-09-12, 12:03
Your truly best option is to cut the FSB, grind it down and refinish it. It will cost you less and be more reliable than some screwed on junk.

That is "the" answer. It is cheap and removes one factor that could go wrong.

I had plans to do this until we could no longer carry personally owned guns, now I will leave the FSB and go with on of the rails that extends past, or possibly a FSB mounted light setup since the powers that be would have kittens if I started grinding on their new gun.