PDA

View Full Version : Glow Ammo - Cold tracers that are indoor range safe

MilitaryArms
02-09-12, 00:19
I've been evaluating a product from Glow Ammo that is a "cold tracer". By cold, I mean that the tracer does not use any pyrotechnic compound to produce light. That means the tracer is safe for indoor range use or for use on outdoor ranges where there's concern for fire safety.

Another interesting feature of this technology is that it's only visible to the shooter and not to the target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ivl_Dtil0I

Questions and comments are welcome.

Whootsinator
02-09-12, 01:09
It's kind of neat technology, but its utility seems very limited compared to traditional tracer ammunition... It doesn't seem bright enough to be able to see at medium to long ranges, and can only be seen by the shooter or those standing right next to him. Your target might not see it, but that doesn't help a whole lot if those who need to see it on your side can't either.

motoduck
02-09-12, 05:51
Interesting review, neat concept but it looks like a novelty item.

markm
02-09-12, 06:37
I keep seeing these, but they're pricey.

I can get a good trace using TMJ bullets and the sun to my back. :p

Poor man's tracers.

MilitaryArms
02-09-12, 09:20
I keep seeing these, but they're pricey.

I can get a good trace using TMJ bullets and the sun to my back. :p

Poor man's tracers.

The first time I saw this (as a kid) I couldn't believe it. With just about any back lighting I can see .45 ACP's on their way down range now that I know to look for it. Smaller, faster rounds like the 9mm I've never seen in flight.

motoduck
02-09-12, 09:27
Smaller, faster rounds like the 9mm I've never seen in flight.

Even my old eyes can see 9mm:D I can usually see 9mm on a dark range with backlighting or night shooting with light.

MilitaryArms
02-09-12, 09:31
Superman vision!

Iraq Ninja
02-09-12, 10:31
Until you have shot this stuff, there is little need to speculate on what it can or can't do.

Our company was given samples and while they are OK in low light conditions, we want to shoot them in no light conditions to get a better feel for its effectiveness.

I want to shoot it more before giving my verdict.

Right now this is a pistol cartridge. The inventor has mentioned to me that he is working on a rifle version. I think it is a bit unlikely since the visible trace is based on the size of the "dot" on the base of the round.

I asked about an IR version, and he said it is in the "works."

MilitaryArms
02-09-12, 10:34
Until you have shot this stuff, there is little need to speculate on what it can or can't do.

Our company was given samples and while they are OK in low light conditions, we want to shoot them in no light conditions to get a better feel for its effectiveness.

I want to shoot it more before giving my verdict.

Right now this is a pistol cartridge. The inventor has mentioned to me that he is working on a rifle version. I think it is a bit unlikely since the visible trace is based on the size of the "dot" on the base of the round.

I asked about an IR version, and he said it is in the "works."
Interesting. Brian didn't mention the rifle rounds to me. I look forward to seeing those hit the market.

Brian mentioned to me that they are working on other colors such as green for the tracer compound. They also have shotgun slugs coming onto the market here soon as well.

El Cid
02-09-12, 10:40
If they make it in 5.56 I could see it possibly being useful to the individual rifleman. Some shooters still use 2 or 3 tracers at the bottom of their mag to give them a heads up that they are about to run dry. This would do that w/o telling the bad guy where you are (as you run dry).

Iraq Ninja
02-09-12, 10:42
If they make it in 5.56 I could see it possibly being useful to the individual rifleman. Some shooters still use 2 or 3 tracers at the bottom of their mag to give them a heads up that they are about to run dry. This would do that w/o telling the bad guy where you are (as you run dry).

Real tracers will work (somewhat) in daylight, while the Glow Ammo needs low light conditions.

CrazyFingers
02-09-12, 12:47
Off-topic: The ejection on the G21 is all over the place. :(

Ned Christiansen
02-09-12, 21:05
I shot some a year ago, they work.

Ned Christiansen
02-14-12, 09:02
I always wondered why they recommend loading with fast-burning powder when using these. Shooting some .45's yesterday loaded with VV N-350, it made me wonder if it's simply to reduce the chances of muzzle flash reducing visibility of the trace element.

MilitaryArms
02-14-12, 09:03
Off-topic: The ejection on the G21 is all over the place. :(

Welcome to the world of Gen 4 Glocks.