PDA

View Full Version : Magwell for Duty gun

Jaxx10
02-09-12, 16:59
Hey guys,

So I looked on the forum and did not really find anything pertaining to a duty gun with a magwell.

My question is can anyone recommend one for a glock 17 gen 3. Ive looked at the Dawson Ice that most use on there IDPA guns and it just looks huge. Ive also looked at the T.H.E. which doesn't look to bad. The JP one doesn't look that bad either but it also does not look as secure since there is no screw holding the plug into place on the backstrap.

Now I havn't seen any of these in person for a while so I can't really draw from experience.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks guys

02-09-12, 21:59
Before anyone else says it, make sure your dept allows modifications like that. With that said, many guys in my dept go with a molded in magwell from a grip reduction type gunsmith versus a drop-in style like the Dawson or THE.
Just make sure there is enough room inside the magwell so you can grab the base plate of the mag and strip it out if you have to. Something to consider.

Jaxx10
02-09-12, 22:46
Roger. I apologize I should have mentioned it is allowed at my dept.

operator81
02-10-12, 01:59
Food for thought :running a magwell on a Glocks limits, if not eliminates, your ability to strip the magazine out. Not a big deal for some, but in the event your mag gets stuck (ie: double feed), the mag well could cause an issue.

Nephrology
02-10-12, 07:33
I would run a grip plug as a compromise. It will speed up reloads but not compromise your ability to grip the magazine (depending on the make of the plug).

Jupiter
02-10-12, 09:06
[QUOTE=021411;1225302
Just make sure there is enough room inside the magwell so you can grab the base plate of the mag and strip it out if you have to. Something to consider.[/QUOTE]

+1

You need to also consider how it effects inserting the magazine.
Sure, you have a bigger hole to hit but make sure you can fully seat the magazine at speed. I added some extensions to the base of my Glocks magazines and the little extra length really helps.
I don't have my mag wells installed in the pic below but it does show the extensions.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/lushl0sn/Glock_34s.jpg

Littlelebowski
02-10-12, 09:08
I would run a grip plug as a compromise. It will speed up reloads but not compromise your ability to grip the magazine (depending on the make of the plug).

This. I've never felt the need for a magwell on a Glock.

SWATcop556
02-10-12, 09:08
Magwells on Glocks belong on the range or competition. The cons outweigh the pros. The tapered mag on the Glock in combo with a good grip plug is more than adequate.

The only handgun that really NEEDS a magwell is a 1911. Square mag into a square hole and such.

I would just do hundreds of dry reloads and mag changes. It will benefit you much more in the end than a magwell. Being proficeint trumps gear 100 out of 100 times.

polymorpheous
02-10-12, 09:33

Glockmeister grip plug.
It has a nice bevel that guides the mag in the magwell.

Bluedreaux
02-10-12, 11:27
What SC556 said.

I'd add that I've never seen a patrol cop with a magwell faster than a patrol cop without one that actually practiced.

Send__it
02-15-12, 06:21
Jaxx I have a Dawson Ice on my duty gun (glock 35) along with 3rnd mag extenders from arrendondo. The setup works flawless and a few other guys on my dept. went with the same setup. I took a LEO 3day shooting class and we actually had a little mag change competition. With ease I was the fastest out of a group of 12. Hope this helps

Jaxx10
02-15-12, 08:41
Correct on practice making hitting the opening on a glock easier. And in theory yes if you practice dry reloads hundreds of times a day then in theory you can hit that opening without thinking. The problem lies when SHTF that opening becomes a quarter of the size on a reload. Even with practice fine motor skills are drastically reduced. So why not increase your chances by adding a guide. I'm not saying it's for everyone but I'm not going to knock it until I try it. Under stress combat every little advantage counts and at the end of the day I am making sure I'm 10-42 and at home. Guess I'm just saying I keep and open mind to new training and solutions to human error problems.

Magsz
02-15-12, 09:44
So long as you can do the following, i raise the question of "why not"?

1. Extract a magazine during a hard double feed. This means having room to pry a finger in there to rip the stuck magazine out.

2. Fully seat magazines. This will require some sort of RELIABLE extension.

3. Is not overly large so as to attract dirt and create a mud pie that will keep magazines lodged in the gun.

4. Will not make riding around in your car a nightmare due to the increased bulk of the gun.

Glock magazines are an infinite source of frustration for me. The over travel stop on the magazine has a weird habit of constantly bashing into the sides of the magwell for me resulting in a botched reload. Yes, it is a training issue but if i could do away with this via a gear solution with no negatives then i would happily do so.

glocktogo
02-16-12, 13:54
California Comp Works used to make a nice polymer unit that wasn't overly large or heavy. I ran one for several years on a G-34 in competition with no issues. It screws into an aluminum plug in the butt.