PDA

View Full Version : Ares Ranger belt or Arc' teryx rigger belt

robo
02-09-12, 19:41
To sum it up, I'm just not sure which of these two excellent belts to go with. I'm looking to run at most a pistol with two spare mags, and two spare AR mags plus maybe a multitool/ surefire on the belt. From guys who are running either belts what are your pros and cons?

Thnx

Steve S.
02-09-12, 19:52
That's an odd choice of belts. The Arc'Teryx is a very niche item, and from what I've read it isn't super sturdy.

I own a whole lot of belts. What are you looking for? If based on your list of items you plan on carrying it's strength, then I'd personally recommend a 1.75" Cobra belt. Any of the belt makers offer these.

I use a 1.75" Cobra Riggers from Endeavor Stitch Works as my go-to belt. I have an Ares Ranger, but I don't think it offers any advantages with some disadvantages compared to a Cobra Riggers or Instructor belt. Ares offers different cobra buckled Riggers belts in the 1.5" and 1.75" variety. I'd recommend looking there instead of at the Ranger.

Check the stickies up top.

M4Guru
02-09-12, 19:55
Ares belt for sure...the H150 will not hold all of that.

controlledpairs2
02-09-12, 21:03
Ares. I own 4 of the ranger belts.

I also own the dead bird belt, but it's not what I would choose first to hold my gun up.

JChops
02-09-12, 21:05
I own both. I would throw the Wilderness 5-stitch in there to round out the top three belts everyone should own but then again telling you to buy them all probably won't help you.

I like them all for different things but I'd say I use the Arc belt 90% of the time, the Wilderness 5% and the Ares 5%. I think it would depend on who you are and what you plan to do with them.

M4Guru gave you the short answer. The Arc is designed for less of a load than what you listed and you'll get droop and roll the edges with that much weight on there.

Really, if you're looking to support heavy loads, the Ares is still the best, followed by the Wilderness, and then the Arc.

But if you're running relatively slick or wearing it every day for long hours, the Arc is the best choice because it's the most comfortable by a longshot.

The cutoff point? It depends. The Arc is comfortable and functional with a full size pistol and two mags of your choice. No problem with that at all. Two pistol mags, two rifle mags, or one and one. Add an extra (third) loaded mag and you're pushing it, but that's probably the cutoff.

Arc Positives
+Ultra light, ultra thin
+Doesn't look like a "tactical belt" and you can wear it every day 10+ hours
+7075 T6 swami buckle is very low profile and never digs in or sticks out
+Truly feels like you're not wearing a belt

Arc Negatives
-Will not support heavy loads like the Ares scuba style will
-2" wide design may not fit through certain pants you own
-2" wide will probably require all new connections for your belt items
-Belt end will NOT fit through Raven loops without mod
-Needs some finishing details to be used as a true gun belt (razor off Arc tags & extended loops, measure and trim extra long belt end and re-seal)

Note: I recommend leaving at least 5" or 6" of tail if you end up chopping the end off. This gives you a little room for adjustment. Make sure you chop AFTER you put your holster and pouches on, and get it set up through your pants. This will change the measurements a little bit. After all that, mark the belt and cut it with a super sharp knife on a cutting board. The trick? Chuck up a piece of thick aluminum stock in a vice and heat it up with a torch. Get it really, really hot to the point where it will melt the plastic like nothing. Now carefully take the end of your freshly cut belt and press down firmly on the superheated end of the aluminum to melt it a little bit and give it a flat perpendicular sealed edge. If you want, test this on the piece you cut off, first, to get an idea of how it will react. Give it a slight bevel on the top edges (almost like an arrowhead) and roll it a few degrees from side to side to shape. You may have to seal one side, then re-heat the aluminum and bevel the edges. In the end you'll have a perfectly sealed (and beveled) shorter belt end that will never come undone and won't be dangling 12" off to your side. Plus it will fit through any hard belt loop you own.

infidelprodigy
02-09-12, 23:34
For your stated loadout, go with the Ares belt. I have both and the Arcteryx belt sees the most EDC use right now but that is rocking a G19 in a RCS Vanguard 2 and a single RCS mag pouch. For anything more I go with the Ares, which also gets the nod on the occasional IDPA match (prefer USPSA). However I do like the Arcteryx belt a lot and it does feel like nothings there, yet your pants are held up.

Honestly, after getting both companies products, I haven't gone back to any of my half dozen 1.75" riggers belts.

HighSpeedDreams
02-10-12, 00:17
Ares Ranger Belt is one of the best belts I have ever owned. You won't regret that purchase!

d90king
02-10-12, 06:50
Ares Ranger belt! The best belt that money can buy. I use one for everyday carry and also use it for classes.

Steve
02-10-12, 07:23
The ares ranger belt it far surpasses anything else i own

which includes arc,Wilderness,and a few others

with the ranger belt i can wear dockers or dress slacks and still carry a full load out as well

from jeans to range work and teaching.... i have an ares belt or 3 and there is one that gets worn every single day

Pax
02-10-12, 11:53
One minor complaint about SCUBA webbing belts... You may not care, but just to keep you informed about your purchase...

After about 6 months of wearing a Jones Tactical 1.5" EDB I gave it to my girlfriend and never touched it again. The rigidity of scuba webbing was just hell on my hips. And Im really not one to complain about chaffing or "fit issues" with gear so long as its the best. But we're talking like. Actually drawing blood on my hips through multiple types of pants and shorts during light, daily use. It did make my hips look kind of even, since I have a scar on my right hip from being shot with LTL rounds... But that wasnt really a benefit. This is only my experience, with my body type, wearing my specific IWB accessories that may have affected the belt's angle and tension in relation to my hips. Nonetheless. I saw no significant benefit to the rigidity of the Ranger-style belt, and have since moved back to my 215 Gear URB for daily use. The more pliable parachute webbing is far more comfortable, and 25mm Cobra buckles are more of a bitch to get undone anyways.

Irish
02-10-12, 16:28
I have no dog in the fight but wanted to throw out another option. I've replaced my Wilderness with a Volund Atlas. Much lighter and more comfortable in my opinion. http://volundgearworks.com/

jamaicanj
02-10-12, 17:13
I have an ares ranger belt and I love it. Carries tons of gear without any drooping. The only slight issue which is not a big deal to me is that the cobra buckle pokes out a bit.

robo
02-10-12, 17:42
Thanks guys for everyone fast responses and advice/opinions. I think the Ares won that battle. I'm ganna get a black one for edc, and a coyote brown for work. Now I just need to find a place that has them instock, they seem to be in pretty high demand.

infidelprodigy
02-10-12, 18:16
Check Larue, Grey Group, and SIG Academy, I think they were the last to get big order shipments.

You can always go direct. Everytime I have ordered from Jake, he has beaten the quoted delivery times. Maybe he just likes me though......:D

bc5000
02-10-12, 18:19
Weaponoutfitters.com

If you can buy it, it's in stock.

big b
02-10-12, 23:06
A friend has an Arc'teryx belt and he said he has problems with some mag pouches fitting properly on the belt. I'm not sure of the specifics, I can try to find out though.

I have belts from Ares and Endeavor Stitch Works and they are both awesome. The Ares wins out in my opinion though.

Devildog1988
02-12-12, 11:33
Ares makes good stuff, Ive been to their store and had them make me some stuff. Real down to earth guys, theyre all Marines too. If your gear ever becomes unservicable Im sure theyll fix it for you.