PDA

View Full Version : List of best Gaspistons Uppers

Lawdog-1
02-09-12, 21:54
I would like to know if there is a list of the best to worst or Top Ten Gas Piston Uppers that you can buy since HK doesn't want to sell the HK416 uppers to Americians Civilians?

Casull
02-09-12, 22:19
Well, the 416's are out there. I'd not go for one since there was a bit of a dirty doing involved with those... Plus you've got the MR556... which isn't quite it but hey.

Pistons are too new to really put'em on a list in my opinion. Colt has one on the way...

I wonder what people will suggest for this list, though. I hear good things about the REC7 and FERFANS rifles.

militarymoron
02-09-12, 22:32
why not just list the top three? i'd have trouble even naming ten. also, if you narrow it down to people that have actually owned and had extensive 1st-hand experience with a more than 3 or 4 gas piston uppers, there'll be even fewer.

n2bateyou
02-10-12, 08:36
Ive only owned one piston upper but I have an LWRC M6A2 which I love. Functions beautifully, very accurate, will out-shoot me without a doubt. It doesnt like steel cased ammo, so I run that thru the other ARs, but its a fine gun. Sorry I have no basis for comparison regarding other piston manufacturers.

Boss Hogg
02-10-12, 09:39
I'm not a huge piston fan for non-SBR (>16" lengths) and unsuppressed ARs, but now that PWS has an extension kit for their handguard, I believe the simplicity of their system has merit for those wanting a piston system.

"Top 10" sounds too Guns & Ammo. I can't recall the last time I was in a 7-11 without seeing a 9mm vs. .45 cover.

Bad Medicine
02-10-12, 09:53
1. PWS MK series
2. HK MR556

These are the only 2 I would own, don't care much for the rest.

Mjolnir
02-10-12, 10:11
LMT; HK???

Failure2Stop
02-10-12, 11:38
1: HK
2: Nobody
3: LMT/LWRC

Buck
02-10-12, 12:39
I have an ADC piston upper that was built by Arnold Dew. It is a great piston upper and very reliable.

B

Vash1023
02-10-12, 16:04
i havent owned any but ive heard Adams Arms are quality.

loganp0916
02-10-12, 17:01
i havent owned any but ive heard Adams Arms are quality.

I've heard Adams arms are good and I've heard they're shit so jury's out for me. Havent shot one yet.

Failure2Stop
02-10-12, 18:07
From the M4Carbine.net rules (found to the right of the yellow "search" button):

Posting Suggestions

In order to maintain a site that is an effective database of good information, it is best to post information that you have first hand knowledge of. If you are repeating information that you have been told or have read from another poster, it is best to disclose that in the opening of the post.

loganp0916
02-10-12, 18:11
My bad. Won't happen again

TACAV
02-10-12, 19:43
1: HK
2: Nobody
3: LMT/LWRC

Disclosure.
I have no personal experience with the Barret REC7.

James Yeager seems to really like his REC7 and they have put a ton of rounds through it in short time in their contractor courses with excellent results. He seems to have a pretty good relationship with the Barrett family and his HRCC courses were a part of the gun's hard use field testing IIRC.

I have taken a couple Tactical Response courses before and I know first hand that they train rain or shine, whether it be super hot or in a monsoon. It is a good place to see just how well your gear works in the mud.

Based upon the reviews and experiences from those guys if I were to look into a Piston I would consider the REC7 after more research but really, my DI guns work just fine so I don't have the need for one personally.

If anyone here does has any experiences on the REC7 good or bad that they could share I would be interesting in hearing them.

Ghost__1
02-10-12, 19:52
I have a 7"bbl pws diablo that I got for a range toy and its now moved into my primary gun. 4000 rds still flawless with no I mean none malfunctions. Wiped down every 500 or so lubed and let soak. Only problem is heavy erosion on the flash hider which is proprie.tary and slight carrier tilt issues. Not bad but a little wear which I've heard and have no experience with but that their newenhanced carrier addresses. If you give me until Monday I'll complete my review of it and post it up. Pics included.

Bad Medicine
02-11-12, 08:42
I have a 7"bbl pws diablo that I got for a range toy and its now moved into my primary gun. 4000 rds still flawless with no I mean none malfunctions. Wiped down every 500 or so lubed and let soak. Only problem is heavy erosion on the flash hider which is proprie.tary and slight carrier tilt issues. Not bad but a little wear which I've heard and have no experience with but that their newenhanced carrier addresses. If you give me until Monday I'll complete my review of it and post it up. Pics included.

Ghost I haven't ever heard of PWS ever having issues with carrier tilt wear. I have 2,000 through my MK116 and it has been flawless for me as well. To tell you the truth, if PWS wasn't around then I would probably just gone with KAC.

The_War_Wagon
02-11-12, 09:01
I owned a Gen.III POF rifle for 2 1/2 years. It was very reliable - ran well in 8 degree weather - was extremely accurate - weighed a ton - & did nothing a QUALITY DI upper couldn't do, at 5lbs less weight, and half the cost. :o

For a 12" SBR application, it's probably the bee's knees. For a 16" rifle, the weight alone makes it NOT worth it.

It was fun to own, experiment with, and a pleasure to actually shoot, BUT... I have five other AR's. NONE of them is a piston.

Been there, done that, got the badge, moved ON. For the PRICE... go Noveske or Knights Armament DI. You'll be more satisfied in the L-O-N-G run...

Packman73
02-11-12, 09:29
Well I have had first-hand knowledege of the M6A2 since 2007 and I've been convinced of it's quality. I'm a fan. I can't say how they stack up to others though.

R0CKETMAN
02-11-12, 13:25
POF 9" suppressed 5.56 flawless through 5k plus

LWRC M6A2 16" flawless through a few K

We'll see what the future holds, but I plan to keep both until they fail me in an unreasonable manner

....or I'm forced to sell from M4carbine peer pressure:D

Ghost__1
02-11-12, 13:38
Ghost I haven't ever heard of PWS ever having issues with carrier tilt wear. I have 2,000 through my MK116 and it has been flawless for me as well. To tell you the truth, if PWS wasn't around then I would probably just gone with KAC.

Right from what I know they designed a newer carrier to fox that problem. Its designed with a bump towards the back. Mine still has the old smooth carrier. Its still very minor considering what I have in it. My next purchase is still going to be a MK 18 DD. Cuz they're so freakin cool.

Ghost__1
02-11-12, 13:43
I owned a Gen.III POF rifle for 2 1/2 years. It was very reliable - ran well in 8 degree weather - was extremely accurate - weighed a ton - & did nothing a QUALITY DI upper couldn't do, at 5lbs less weight, and half the cost. :o

For a 12" SBR application, it's probably the bee's knees. For a 16" rifle, the weight alone makes it NOT worth it.

It was fun to own, experiment with, and a pleasure to actually shoot, BUT... I have five other AR's. NONE of them is a piston.

Been there, done that, got the badge, moved ON. For the PRICE... go Noveske or Knights Armament DI. You'll be more satisfied in the L-O-N-G run...

Even though I enjoy mine and its been more practical because of the length and its what I have I follow the above design to a t. Unless you're gonna sbr piston systems really don't offer anything above DI exception being a little cleaner. Its heavy. Big thing to think about. if you just want one because that's what you want I recommend Primary Weapons Systems.

LowandLeft
02-11-12, 18:08
I personally do not own one, BUT my brother does and he's out of the county alot :D. It's an LWRC M6A2 and although I'm a DI fan it has shot wonderfully. It has probably 6k though it without a single hiccup. Saying all that I must say it's a pig- crew served m4!

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-11-12, 18:18
Alot of guys here own or have tried the LMT piston. I have never heard anything bad about it except the weight. I have one and I will say it has a bit more front end weight than the DI version. If you use the search you should come up with allot of info on the LMT.

ThreeLeafPayback
02-12-12, 14:20
I own POF and Adams Arms uppers only.
3 of the first and 2 of the latter.
Noticed carrier tilt on the first POF after about 2 cases of Wolf. It made some rub marks on bottom of buffer tube. I used Lubriplate to help reduce the wear and updated to a roller cam pin. It has not gotten any worse since. This one had shipped with a standard cam pin.
No tilt issues are visible on the other uppers.
The Adams uppers are used on pistols and have not had any issues.
I have to say that these things run very well.
I have also found that the spring on the bolt tail dosen't seem to be outwardly needed. If it breaks or gets lost you can still run it. I leave them in.