PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend got me an AR!!

dmill78
02-09-12, 22:21
So we were looking at academy at lunch yesterday and I just mentioned that I liked a bushmaster we had the guy pull down, so she went back and bought it when I go back to work after lunch!!! It's a Bushmaster ORC 5.56 and I was wondering what you guys thought of it? I was completely not expecting her to do that and normally she wouldn't but, unknown to me, she just got her tax return.

Oh, I think I'm gonna go ahead and marry her!!!

Locutus
02-09-12, 22:25
So we were looking at academy at lunch yesterday and I just mentioned that I liked a bushmaster we had the guy pull down, so she went back and bought it when I go back to work after lunch!!! It's a Bushmaster ORC 5.56 and I was wondering what you guys thought of it? I was completely not expecting her to do that and normally she wouldn't but, unknown to me, she just got her tax return.

I've not heard anything good about Bushmasters, but the girl is a keeper. ;)

espnazi
02-09-12, 22:25

Read this thread: Click! (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376)

I would say do what is mentioned in that thread and keep it since it was a gift, and start saving for a DD, BCM, or Colt.

diving dave
02-09-12, 22:33
Any girl who would do that is a keeper! My wife bought me a Galil for our anniversary..true love:D

p22shooter30
02-09-12, 22:39
chicks normally do stuff like that before they tell you something bad they have done.....

just kidding, my wife made me build her an AR after she fired mine :laugh: she sounds like a keeper.

these guys will all tell you to return it, but you could keep it and shoot it, and when you get another, which you will, let her shoot the bushy if she comes to the range with you. seems everyone that owns one ar, usually gets another. an another.

Megalomaniac
02-09-12, 22:39
Ignore what everyone says about the rifle, enjoy it as it is a gift. Also buy the bloody woman a ring, any girl that in touch with a man needs to be secured.

sjc3081
02-09-12, 22:41
This has got to be a joke.
This is akin to me posting on a Harley Davidson forum how my Vespa rules the road

nineteenkilo
02-09-12, 22:41
My first major gift from my wife was a rifle. I love her more every day. Get on the ring buying asap!

madmike3668
02-09-12, 22:47
The bushmaster will be a good starter AR. Have fun shooting it, learn proper operation and maintenance, then get another one. No reason to buy a top of the line AR if you don't know what to do with it. Enjoy the gift and marry that girl.

Ghost__1
02-09-12, 22:49
First off I want to say welcome to the forum. Second I want to say you're screwed now! You have the sickness. No turning back now. Thirty years from now when you are looking at your extensive ar collection you can thank your wife and this forum, and you'd be smart to marry that one like everyone had said.

Bushmasters are generally considered a lower quality ar however the beautiful thing is that its your first and will make you fall in love with them. The Johnny go fast ones will come later. Everyone of them is an Investment. I will suggest that you do plenty of reading here and any questions you may have start with the orange search button at the top right of the page.

a0cake
02-09-12, 23:04
Don't get too worked up about what people are saying about the Bushmaster. Yeah, it's not the greatest...but that is definitely not the point here. Buy her a ring.

Scorpion
Congratulations on the new rifle. I have no personal experience with Bushmaster rifles so I can't comment directly, but they generally aren't held in high regard here due to quality issues. Regardless, it's a gift; keep it and enjoy it.

Read and soak up all the information you can on this site. I started by looking through the stickies located at the top of this forum, and the stickies in AR Technical. Inspect it and ensure it functions properly, using those stickied topics as a guideline. Shoot your rifle, learn its ins and outs, and marry that girl.

Col_Crocs

Just to reiterate some points. Bushmaster is not the greatest brand but DO KEEP IT and marry the woman!
Read the thread espnazi linked and do as advised, then go out and enjoy it. Since youve signed up here, read all the other stickies and learn. Welcome!

Evil Colt 6920
02-09-12, 23:14
I bet she didnt realize (and yourself either) that your wallet will be forever flat due to the AR addiction headed your way. Buy her a Colt 6920 and a diamond that wont fit in the barrel!

QuickStrike
02-09-12, 23:23
Now that's the type of girl I would put out for! :cool:

After you use the heck out of it, I suppose you can upgrade every part except for the lower and it'll still technically be the same rifle she gave you! ;)

Ash Hess
02-09-12, 23:25
Who cares what kind it is. Both are keepers. Run it till it breaks, fix it, run it, then fix it.

Javelin
02-09-12, 23:49
Congrats! Any girlfriend that buys you a firearm is a keeper in my books! :D

KM223
02-09-12, 23:53
Pics please.......and not of the rifle.

Stangman
02-09-12, 23:58
Girl is a keeper for sure. As for the ring thing, I happen to know an excellent place :D

Grip
02-10-12, 00:01
Keep and love both the rifle and girl!

Nothing wrong with bushmaster as a first black rifle.

Casull
02-10-12, 00:12
I've not heard anything good about Bushmasters, but the girl is a keeper. ;)

This. :D

Confed-rifleman
02-10-12, 00:17
Does she have a sister?...Or, a really close female friend that you would swear was her sister? A woman that buys you a firearm...It's true love.

L84Cabp
02-10-12, 01:02
We need PICTURES!

Of the rifle...and THE GIRL! :D

Azpilot
02-10-12, 02:01
I'm going to break-step on this one...

Once upon a time, I was voicing my need for a working shotgun. This was back before patrol rifles were the norm, and you had to be a very special person to have one. I went on and on about how I needed to get a good working gun, and about how I planned to buy one soon. I did not expect to have one purchased for me.

My then-girlfriend, bless her heart, went out and dropped a chunk of change on a NIB Mossberg M590A1. I mean, the nice model, with the parked finish, the heavy barrel, and the ghost-rings.

Small problem...Mossbergs have never fit me right. I don't know what it is, and I've tried to figure it out, but 870's feel -much- better to me. Apparently the one thing I -hadn't- voiced in all of my prattling on, was that I planned to buy a Rem.

Rather than allow her substantial investment to languish, I addressed it honestly with her, and got clearance to sell it to a buddy. Although I contemplated keeping it for the "correctness", I couldn't see letting a $450 or so investment go to waste.

Of course, perhaps that's why she's a former girlfriend ;)

blackgt85
02-10-12, 02:21
Sounds like she got you a nice dirt clod shooter that you picked out! Keep the girl and research your AR's!!

G30Mike
02-10-12, 02:53
Great girlfriend, not so great rifle.....
That said, I just had a little convo with my girlfriend. Told her if she ever planned on buying me an AR to make sure and check with me first, ill give her the tag number of the one I want at the LGS. :)
She already bought me a shotgun once, a Mossberg 500, and that's because I had been looking at that specific model and she remembered what it was. AR's are a little different. :)

Pax
02-10-12, 03:04
Sell the girl.

Put a ring on the gun.

Its the only reasonable course of action.

og556
02-10-12, 03:16
Buy the rifle a BCM BCG, fixed metal front sight, and the girl a ring.

Congrats on having such an awesome gf. Even with what I know of this platform now if any one surprised me with a gift like that I would appreciate it and make the most of it with them. Besides, these AR15's multiply.

SGB
02-10-12, 05:07
Great gal, enjoy your new AR.

rob_s
02-10-12, 05:47
Go shoot! Now that she dropped the coin on the gun part that frees up your funds to go buy ammo and mags!

30 cal slut
02-10-12, 06:48
Ignore what everyone says about the rifle, enjoy it as it is a gift. Also buy the bloody woman a ring, any girl that in touch with a man needs to be secured.

Yeah. Keep the rifle - since it's a gift.

Your gal is a keeper in my book. :D

Enjoy.

SGTMAJ
02-10-12, 06:56
Keep the girl buy her a ring from them bubblegum machine when she looks disappointed tell her you will upgrade it to a real one when she upgrades your AR.

TheGut
02-10-12, 06:56
My girlfriend went with me to the gun store to pick up a M&P 9c a couple of months ago. While we were there she informed me she is not comfortable having handguns in the house. Then she said if we had to use a gun she would prefer to use an rifle. So same day I purchased the M&P and an AR. :)

I love this girl!

The_War_Wagon
02-10-12, 07:05
Now that's the type of girl I would put out for! :cool:

After you use the heck out of it....

... and I was waiting to see where THIS would end up! :p

After you save up your money for a quality AR, let her use the Shrubmaster.

Then when she figures out what's what with AR's, SHE can sell it, and get a decent AR.

ta da. :cool:

Tzook
02-10-12, 07:21
Bushmaster certainly isn't a top of the line rifle, but you clearly scored hard in every other category! :)

It will be a fine gun for you to learn on, just go shoot!! And do check some of the stickys, make sure your gas keys are staked properly, and so on and so forth.

Meth0d
02-10-12, 08:04
Keep the girl buy her a ring from them bubblegum machine when she looks disappointed tell her you will upgrade it to a real one when she upgrades your AR.

It's always nice to have a good laugh in the morning.

loganp0916
02-10-12, 08:27
Does she have a sister?...Or, a really close female friend that you would swear was her sister? A woman that buys you a firearm...It's true love.

^^This^^
I'll give up my youth for a woman like that!

thei3ug
02-10-12, 08:28
My wife bought me a FN m1900 for my birthday.
I bought her a BCM upper for hers. Made her year. She drew the line when I bought a Dillon for Christmas and tried to get her pressing cartridges.

jonconsiglio
02-10-12, 09:29
It's always cool when you girlfriend or wife puts some thought into a gift... It means they're paying attention and that's more rare than we think. 4 years (off and on) with my ex and I don't think she ever knew my middle name. 8 years with my wife and she knows my parents' middle names.

Enjoy your rifle. Learn it well and have fun doing it. There's a great subforum here that can help you find a good source of training that is in, or may come through, an area close to you.

shua713
02-10-12, 09:56
You have heard it several times now, GET HER A RING. She is a keeper. Have fun with the gun and learn to use it effectively.

Campbell
02-10-12, 09:57
Cool story, as stated earlier, shoot it till it breaks and then fix it... no big deal. When your ready to upgrade, the BM will make her a good starter rifle, or maybe a loaner to get a friend into shooting...

Let her know what this gift means to you, quality carbines are much easier to find than quality women.JMO

ffhounddog
02-10-12, 10:57
Keep it run it hard and wet and then when the barrel is worn out get a new upper and go at it again. (I mean the upper not the girlfriend)

I had a Bushmanster A2 that ran ober 16K rounds of wolf and sold it when I filed for divorce to pay for the lawyer.

Get a ring keep her and be happy. Let her shoot it too. Will make the sex better when you get back from the range.

bsmith_shoot
02-10-12, 10:57
My girlfriend bought me a Bushy 14.5 with a permed Izzy flashhider about 8 years ago. I kept it, shot about 8k rounds through it, fixed it a few times, made some internal upgrades, made it into a decent rifle in the end.
Three years later I finally upgraded to a BCM, married the girl, and havent had to do a single upgrade to either one.
I reccomend you do the same, but maybe a little quicker than I did!
Congrats, have fun, and show us some wedding pics soon.

aflin
02-10-12, 12:22
Regardless that it's a bushamster, it's the thought that counts. That girl is a keeper...

Better go ring shopping soon brother

45auto
02-10-12, 12:32
You marry her and I'll marry her mother. :dance3:

RogerinTPA
02-10-12, 12:51

That SGM, that cracked my ass up.:laugh:

You should have pointed to the Colt OP. Oh well...like others have stated, read the stickies to get it running reliably, then mags, ammo, a chest or belt rig, and a class.

45auto
02-10-12, 16:52
.....Let her shoot it too. Will make the sex better when you get back from the range.
Never thought of that. Guess I'll take the wife to the range this weekend. :dance3:

Col_Crocs
02-10-12, 17:01

I keep reminding my girlfriend never to get me anything AR related... I'll keep this in mind from now on. :D

sjc3081
02-10-12, 17:10
Do you guys really believe this horse shit?
This a AR15 troll , one post and he was bought a Bushy. Id bet dollars to donuts that this is a fifteen year old that never even got his Dickie wet.

loganp0916
02-10-12, 17:16
This a AR15 troll , one post and he was bought a Bushy. Id bet dollars to donuts that this is a fifteen year old that never even got his Dickie wet.

Well. He should. It's awesome. Lol

And I can believe that. He hasnt replied once to the one thread he started/participated in....

Ghost__1
02-10-12, 17:22
pardon me but this is the kind of attitude the trashes thus place up. I understand the implications of the quality of the gift was but why can't a guy be exited for what a girlfriend did? Are you that much off a bitter person that you just have to be a Dick? My suggestion I'd that you find timeto go shooting and get back in touch with what the sort or skill is all about of being the internet police. because ironically in your attempt to call out someone you think is a troll you became one.

Failure2Stop
02-10-12, 18:02
This is a lighthearted thread with 0 technical value.
If it gets nasty it will be shut down and trashed without a second thought.

BCmJUnKie
02-10-12, 18:12
You guys havent been dating long huh? Maybe a month or two?

Lol My girl used to buy me gun parts all the time...now she complains when I get something new haha.

After a couple years...she will tell you to sell it when bills get tight! DONT DO IT!! :secret:

Ghost__1
02-10-12, 18:38
This is a lighthearted thread with 0 technical value.
If it gets nasty it will be shut down and trashed without a second thought. Well said. Note taken. Wasn't trying to offend the man at all as I know as well as any that its easy to lose sight of the big picture every once in awhile. I'm guilty as he and I can accept that.

ttdub
02-10-12, 21:48
Whether ist's a good gun or not, You have the best girlfriend EVER!

citizensoldier16
02-10-12, 22:33
Don't let all the haters here get you down. Just because BM doesn't appear on the chart doesn't mean its not a functioning rifle. It just means that ground-pounding door kickers in whereever-istan don't trust it on a day to day basis. I currently own 3 ARs...one of which started out life as a stock BM patrol carbine. Some of the characteristics which placed it low on "the chart" have been rectified, but the roll-mark still says BM.

Granted BM doesn't have M4 feed ramps, mine has still functioned flawlessly through thousands of rounds of ammo....albeit after fixing a few things. Do yourself a favor: thank your GF for the great gift and GO SHOOT!

Ar1b3nz
02-11-12, 00:04
HMMMM. No pictures?:suicide2:

sboza
02-11-12, 00:30
I've used Bushmaster and Colt M4's. Obviously the preference goes to Colt but despite what a lot of dogmatic folks say, the Bushmaster isn't such a horrible rifle. The parts are slightly substandard to Colt and that means that you always need to have critical replacement parts available (should no matter who the manufacturer is though). Other than that, in actual usage, I found that you need to keep a Colt's bolt wet and it'll run forever (I'm not recommending that you not clean a Colt) whereas a Bushmaster has to be clean AND wet to run reliably. At least the ones we had. Just my experience.

That said, I personally own two Colt's, I don't think I would ever pay for a Bushmaster but if it was a present that I couldn't sell (assuming you can't ;)), I would absolutely be happy with it. Shoot it and enjoy it.

And the girl, yeah ... a keeper!

BAC
02-11-12, 00:40
Go shoot! Now that she dropped the coin on the gun part that frees up your funds to go buy ammo and mags!

Priorities man. Ring first, ammo/mags second. ;)

-B