PDA

View Full Version : RRA barrels. M4 feed ramps?

infantryman
02-09-12, 22:42
Do RRA barrels have m4 feed ramps? specifically their 16'' lightweight mid-length barrel?

Col_Crocs
02-09-12, 23:12
I dont know about RRA but you can buy a BCM barrel of the same type or a DD with either a pinned FSB or gasblock. They will definitely have M4 feedramp barrel extensions and be way better quality barrels overall.

infantryman
02-10-12, 07:44
I am looking for a 1:9 twist barrel. DD and BCM do not advertise 1:9 twist barrels. thanks.

Toyoland66
02-10-12, 08:24
Why do you want a 1:9 barrel?

Leonidas24
02-10-12, 08:25
What's your reasoning for wanting a 1/9" twist barrel? Unless you're going to be shooting sub-50 gr projectiles then the 1/7" is the better option.

polymorpheous
02-10-12, 09:41
All these new members starting threads about RRA lately.
Is there a big marketing push with RRA?

OP, look for a different barrel.
Rock River is just not up to spec.
Wrong material, tight chambers, etc.
Daniel Defense had some 1/9 twist barrels. (They do have the extended feedramp cuts.)
https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels.html?barrel_twist=38

bullittmcqueen
02-10-12, 10:46
I owned a RRA as my first AR-15. It did not have true M4 feed ramps. It had two the two makeshift feed ramp indentions that they cut out with a dremel or some other tool before they installed the barrel. They didnt line up perfectly.

duece71
02-10-12, 11:02
On my previously owned RRA ET upper, the ramps were dremeled and that is why it is "previously" owned. I used the money to buy a BCM upper.

bullittmcqueen
02-10-12, 11:26
On my previously owned RRA ET upper, the ramps were dremeled and that is why it is "previously" owned. I used the money to buy a BCM upper.

AGREED! Sold RRA upper for $450. Bought BCM upper for $399, already owned DD rail.....its like cheating, really.:dance3:

infantryman
02-10-12, 16:37
What's your reasoning for wanting a 1/9" twist barrel? Unless you're going to be shooting sub-50 gr projectiles then the 1/7" is the better option.

really? where did you read that? a 1:9 twist barrel is a very good option.
the answer to the question is the barrel in question does not have m4 feed ramps

infantryman
02-10-12, 17:28
All these new members starting threads about RRA lately.
Is there a big marketing push with RRA?

OP, look for a different barrel.
Rock River is just not up to spec.
Wrong material, tight chambers, etc.
Daniel Defense had some 1/9 twist barrels. (They do have the extended feedramp cuts.)
https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels.html?barrel_twist=38

I've been a member here longer than you so I am not sure if you are refering to me or not. More than likely I was shooting my Colt Ar-15 SP1 long before you were out of diapers. Just because someone doesn't have 3 million posts is not an indicator of gun knowledge.

Eric D.
02-10-12, 17:36
Apparently, neither is signup date. For boasting about being a long-time member I find it ironic that you still want a 1/9, let alone RRA, barrel. Conventional wisdom of the shooting community says that 1/7 is the better option: it can handle lighter bullets fine and has the advantage of stabilizing heavier bullets as well. The shortcomings of RRA are also well documented.

Just because someone doesn't have 3 million posts is not an indicator of gun knowledge.

polymorpheous
02-10-12, 18:23
I've been a member here longer than you so I am not sure if you are refering to me or not. More than likely I was shooting my Colt Ar-15 SP1 long before you were out of diapers. Just because someone doesn't have 3 million posts is not an indicator of gun knowledge.

Wow.
:rolleyes:

zibby43
02-10-12, 20:34
Apparently, neither is signup date. For boasting about being a long-time member I find it ironic that you still want a 1/9, let alone RRA, barrel. Conventional wisdom of the shooting community says that 1/7 is the better option: it can handle lighter bullets fine and has the advantage of stabilizing heavier bullets as well. The shortcomings of RRA are also well documented.

I mean I couldn't say it better than that. Quoted for truth.

infantryman
02-10-12, 21:36
I mean I couldn't say it better than that. Quoted for truth.

truth? barrel twist debate is as tiring as 9mm vs .40 vs .45. Now I know what Larry Vickers means when he says "internet fan boys" ... M4carbine.net is full of them.

to quote Kyle Lamb in Green Eyes and Black Rifles..." The military chose a 1:7 twist to help stabilize specialized bullets. This twist works well but it is not optimized for overall performance. If you are shooting a mil spec barrel, it may actually have a 1:7 twist, and if you have selected this particular barrel, accuracy is not paramount on your ar checklist. he goes on.. "A 1:9 twist is a great all around twist; however, for 75 and 77 grain bullets a 1:8 twist is noticablly better"

I don't own one single bullet in the 75 -77 grain dept. I do however own more than 10,000 55 grain bullets. I'll stick with 1:9 even though BCM and DD don't make it their standard. BCM and DD make an excellent product I am sure. and there are a hell of a lot of Bushmaster and RRA guns that run just as well.

zibby43
02-10-12, 22:03
truth? barrel twist debate is as tiring as 9mm vs .40 vs .45. Now I know what Larry Vickers means when he says "internet fan boys" ... M4carbine.net is full of them.

Feel free to list the advantages of a 1:9 twist at any time. Or you could keep making ad hominem attacks.

You've also been asked several times why you want the 1:9 barrel but you continue to ignore the inquiries.

And quite frankly, I didn't think there was any debate between 1:9 and 1:7.

Edit: I see you edited your post after my reply.

SpaceWrangler
02-10-12, 22:08
Funny how he calls us fanboys, yet he quotes Lamb and Vickers. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Stretch67/hahaha.gif

Iraqgunz
02-11-12, 00:03
Please tone it down or your new found discovery of M4C will be shortlived.

1. 1/7 is better in that they are almost always true 5.56 chambers, and they have had HP/MPI testing.

2. Internet myths aside many of us who shoot 1/7 barrels see very accurate groups with a broader range of ammo.

3. Once you go above 69gr. it is not always a given that you will be able to shoot the heavier rounds. Some will and some haven't.

The 1/8 claim seems to be true and I believe that some have shown in the past that there are many 1/7 barrels that are actually closer to the 1/8.

to quote Kyle Lamb in Green Eyes and Black Rifles..." The military chose a 1:7 twist to help stabilize specialized bullets. This twist works well but it is not optimized for overall performance. If you are shooting a mil spec barrel, it may actually have a 1:7 twist, and if you have selected this particular barrel, accuracy is not paramount on your ar checklist. he goes on.. "A 1:9 twist is a great all around twist; however, for 75 and 77 grain bullets a 1:8 twist is noticablly better"

I don't own one single bullet in the 75 -77 grain dept. I do however own more than 10,000 55 grain bullets. I'll stick with 1:9 even though BCM and DD don't make it their standard. BCM and DD make an excellent product I am sure. and there are a hell of a lot of Bushmaster and RRA guns that run just as well.

infantryman
02-11-12, 07:12
Please tone it down or your new found discovery of M4C will be shortlived.

1. 1/7 is better in that they are almost always true 5.56 chambers, and they have had HP/MPI testing.

2. Internet myths aside many of us who shoot 1/7 barrels see very accurate groups with a broader range of ammo.

3. Once you go above 69gr. it is not always a given that you will be able to shoot the heavier rounds. Some will and some haven't.

The 1/8 claim seems to be true and I believe that some have shown in the past that there are many 1/7 barrels that are actually closer to the 1/8.

my original question went unanswered and I was given a bunch of unnecessary advice that was also unwanted. the answer to the question is no, RRA do not sell their light weight mid-length barrel with m4 fed ramps. I am sorry I posted the question.

wrecks30
02-11-12, 07:37
I see where the OP is coming from, he asked a question and got a bunch of unwanted advice, I don't see why the question cant be answered and move on. The man wants what he wants.

Iraqgunz
02-11-12, 09:02
I hear what you are saying. You have been around long enough to know that people are just trying to steer you into something better.

Why support mediocre manufacturers when there are good ones on the market?

my original question went unanswered and I was given a bunch of unnecessary advice that was also unwanted. the answer to the question is no, RRA do not sell their light weight mid-length barrel with m4 fed ramps. I am sorry I posted the question.

devinsdad
02-11-12, 11:32
The majority of 1X7 barrels are actually 1X7.7. The 1X7 vs. 1X9 debate is old and tiresome.

1X9 for 45-62gn.

1X7 for 62gn and up

This is a general rule of thumb. Remember, the 1X7 was adopted when the military started using the M856 tracer round and it's weight is 63.something. The weight forced the adoption of the faster twist barrel. Original AR's were 1X12.

Sgt_Gold
02-11-12, 11:40
The majority of 1X7 barrels are actually 1X7.7. The 1X7 vs. 1X9 debate is old and tiresome.

1X9 for 45-62gn.

1X7 for 62gn and up

This is a general rule of thumb. Remember, the 1X7 was adopted when the military started using the M856 tracer round and it's weight is 63.something. The weight forced the adoption of the faster twist barrel. Original AR's were 1X12.

It's the length not weight of the M856 round that required the military to adopt the 1\7 twist. HP shooters use a 1\8 twist to stabilize 80gr bullets, so anything you can stuff into a magazine will shoot well out of a 1\8. I think the 1\7 twist made it's way into the market because if you're going to build a mil spec barrel, you use the mil spec specs.