PDA

View Full Version : New gear ideas and thoughts

FBG Tactical
02-09-12, 23:56
Hello, I am new to this forum but not to the concepts put forward here. I agree with the thoughts on quality and products built to specifications.
I have a couple of potential products that I have manufactured and was looking for some feedback from some of the M4 locals. These are only prototypes at this point but if well received I may go into production. Mods, if I am out of line let me know. Thanks.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3647.jpg

This is an acog scope cover with an alternative battery powered light source. It has a topcover that can be open or closed. This eliminates two problems, the poor low light performance and the overly bright reticle during very bright days. It has an onboard battery compartment and an AR firing pin compartment for digging the micro batteries out. And it also masks the tritium glow at night.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3758.jpg
This vest I call the Heavy 6, It holds 3 surefire 60's as well as 3 AR pattern mags. I built kydex into the pouches for a no lid retension system. I don't like the way plate carriers are specialized so I put molle on the inside of the vest and made a couple of plate holders with molle fronts. It seems to work good. The plates can be adjusted up or down for fit. I made the sides wider than usual so a guy could bolt on side plates if he wanted. Essentially this is a convertible vest. I can bolt the plates on to the vest or run it without them. Even with the inside mollied it is very comfortable to wear. I actually shoot with these designs so I try to keep everything as low profile as possible. I used mash hooks to mount the panel to the yoke, very light, very low pro.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3770.jpg
This is a solar charger panel that has a USB port and can be mollied on the back of a pack etc. I put mesh over it to conceal the shine, it will still operate under the mesh with minimum sun.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3775.jpg
Everyone does kydex, so I stay out of the concealed game. But I wanted a holster I could attach to molle and I wanted multicam. One of our business associates does film dip. I like the film dip however it scratches and is shiny. I laminated 500 weight multicam to the holster making a perfect match for the gear and it gets rid of the shine as well as being very durable. I made modular molle back panels for vert or chest (horizontal) carry as well as different front panels that can be bolted on.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3785.jpg
This is the lightest configuration I have made, I call it Slick Mag Uility Rack Featherweight or SMURF. I have made these with an X back as well as yoke style. I sold some of these locally and they have been well received. It holds 6 AR pattern mags, without lids very securely. I dragged this rig for three miles down a dirt road next to my truck and no mags fell out or were dislodged. Molle right and left, 6 mags as well as 3 pistols up front.

After all the gear I bought over the years I got frustrated, My wife was a killer sewing chick so I invested in sew equipment and started making my own. I try to make stuff light, modular and free moving.

Let me know what you guys think. Critical remarks are welcome as well. Thanks.

Checkers
02-13-12, 00:35
This thread is useless without additional commentary from other users.

lethal dose
02-13-12, 06:05
Some interesting concepts. Send me some stuff and I'll do a little t&e for ya. ;) Do you mfg all the pouches?

rob_s
02-13-12, 06:09
I like where the ACOG cover is headed, but not the current configuration.

The chest rig with three 60s, three 30s, and three pistol mags... how's prone with that thing?

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-13-12, 06:16
Im jelous that you can kit like that. If we have an idea will you here it? Or if a guy need a custom rig are you down?

I like the ACOG cover dont see the need for the adjustment cutouts. I think it would be better if you snuged it up a little, maybe add some elastic material in spots around rear bell. It should be hard to put on and when its there it should fit super tight. right now I would worry about it snaging on my kit. Oh maybe a sipper over the top.

Think smooth and light weight I think it has alot of potental

FBG Tactical
02-13-12, 23:15
Some interesting concepts. Send me some stuff and I'll do a little t&e for ya. ;) Do you mfg all the pouches?

Yes, we make everything in house with U.S. materials. I'd be happy to send you something. What would you like to T&E?

FBG Tactical
02-13-12, 23:37
I like where the ACOG cover is headed, but not the current configuration.

The chest rig with three 60s, three 30s, and three pistol mags... how's prone with that thing?

If you could configure the ACOG cover what would be different?

That chest rig is fat. But I can drive in it, and move with unresricted motion while carrying 270 rds. I have run it with the front pouches off and it's more do-able. I built it because I couldn't find any surefire mag compatible L.B.E.

FBG Tactical
02-14-12, 00:17
Im jelous that you can kit like that. If we have an idea will you here it? Or if a guy need a custom rig are you down?

I like the ACOG cover dont see the need for the adjustment cutouts. I think it would be better if you snuged it up a little, maybe add some elastic material in spots around rear bell. It should be hard to put on and when its there it should fit super tight. right now I would worry about it snaging on my kit. Oh maybe a sipper over the top.

Think smooth and light weight I think it has alot of potental

The cutouts for wind elevation not needed. I will delete those. The rear is hook and looped around the housing to facilitate scope cap. Does anyone use a scope cap on an acog? Are you saying- elastic further back over the ocular?

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3640.jpg

If you have an idea that would make this equipment better I want to know. I tried to have some things sewn and it was a dead end road everytime. I want to get a baseline of products that are actually comfortable and modular. I would like to keep it as simple as possible as far as business goes. Yes, I am down.

I will get a sample going tomorrow, post pics. If you like it I will send it to you for testing.

This is with the exposure cover closed. Battery powered light on and off.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3637.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3636.jpg

rob_s
02-14-12, 05:02
I use a TA33 ACOG, and yes I use a front cap, but not a rear one.

Ideally I'd like to be able to control the amount of light coming into the tube, not just "on" or "off". Not sure how to accomplish that with velcro/nylon though.

Boy Scout
02-14-12, 09:25
Good looking kit, FBG. The quality sew quality looks pretty clean, and I like the MOLLE plate attachment/adjustment.

I think on of your biggest sellers will be the kydex holster MOLLE mounting. Guys are always looking for a solid way to mount a kydex holster to a belt or vest, and that looks solid and clean.

I may have a project for you too!

Travis B
02-14-12, 09:27
I like the look of that holster. Most aren't specifically MOLLE so I end up having to stretch to make things work. What about some MOLLE webbing on the front of it as well? Slap some pistol mags on the front of it and have your secondary weapon covered in half the area of your rig. I'm not one to give up real estate, as long as it doesn't eliminate proper function.

Send me one and I'll beat the snot out of it/T&E it and write about it accordingly.

zodtgr8
02-14-12, 11:07
I think on of your biggest sellers will be the kydex holster MOLLE mounting. Guys are always looking for a solid way to mount a kydex holster to a belt or vest, and that looks solid and clean.

Second.
People have been asking RCS and damn near every other mom & Pop kydex shop for MOLLE mounted holsters with little success. This has huge potential, and that Multicam Laminate is going to be huge. The only other company I know that does that right now is Safariland.

ap1220
02-14-12, 19:08
Concur with the molle attached holster and am interested. Or should I say I Third the notion. :thank_you2:

FBG Tactical
02-14-12, 20:21
I like the look of that holster. Most aren't specifically MOLLE so I end up having to stretch to make things work. What about some MOLLE webbing on the front of it as well? Slap some pistol mags on the front of it and have your secondary weapon covered in half the area of your rig. I'm not one to give up real estate, as long as it doesn't eliminate proper function.

Send me one and I'll beat the snot out of it/T&E it and write about it accordingly.

You mean like this-

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3776.jpg

Right hand pistol draw, left hand crossdraw mag extraction.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3777.jpg

Right hand chest mount. Left hand mag extraction. Still working on the retension system on this one.

Travelingchild
02-14-12, 20:22
Ideally I'd like to be able to control the amount of light coming into the tube, not just "on" or "off". Not sure how to accomplish that with velcro/nylon though.

FBG Tac. maybe lose the velcro replace a #8 or #10 ykk zipper parallel to the fiberoptic more you unzip more light enters. Elastic 90 degrees around near the center of the zipper so it spreads itself apart as you unzip. Have fun! inside out, upside down and backwards.

Smash
02-14-12, 20:30
For the fiber optic....Instead of having the panel roll to the side, have it roll towards the rear with some hook on the top of it at the front end and loop going the rest of the way down so you could pull it back little by little and velcro it down. if you have to go to the side maybe 3 to 4 small side flipping panels instead of 1 big one. I understand this may be a harder stitching pattern.

Travis B
02-14-12, 20:32
FBG I believe you nailed it! That mag pouch on the holster looks great! The angled mag pouches for cross draw look great. What about some eagle FB style retention pistol mag pouches?

Failure2Stop
02-14-12, 20:54
Frank observations from someone that gets paid to deliver this kind of advice:

ACOG Cover:
Lots of bulk. Provides (1) thing more than just wrapping the Fiber Optic tube with a cut-away innertube. That (1) thing is the LED light source. Focus on that, and make it as simple as possible.
Integrate that with an optional objective lens occlusion method and you will make a lot of COG users happy.

Heavy 6:
If you want to make something to carry SF 60s, I would eliminate everything else. Those that are in most need of those mags are distributors of high volume of fire, and the option to go prone is generally appreciated for those individuals. A single layer of 30s on the front with 60s toward the side might be a solution, depending on the size of the panel and the individual user.

Holster:
An exposed holster should really have a retention feature. Given that there are already very successful, very proven holsters with those features I would focus on integrating those existing options to a better PALS mounting solution.

SMURF:
Buckles on the front/top of the panel can be annoying, depending on ride height. There is a whole lot of material behind the mags and part of the system that doesn't appear to be necessary, which will retain a lot of heat and prevent wicking/drying. Maybe you have some kind of wicking/air circulation on the inside, I can't tell.
The mag pouches are very deep, which is good for retention, but I would much rather have more mag available to grab with a removable retention device, such as a bungee with tab. What is the side pouch sized for? I don't see an immediate need to put anything on my support side unless it feeds a gun or fills a need. The pistol mag pouches, like the rifle mag pouches seem deeper than optimal, and all seem to have a cover, which slows the user from a rapid pistol reload, which is really the most critical reload for someone that carrys a side-arm. It also appears that the pistol pouch is attached to a "loose" rifle mag pouch, which will make the pouch floppy once the rifle mag is removed. Adding a hard backer of some sort to make the rifle pouch rigid will keep the pistol mag pouch fixed in position as well as make replacing the rifle mag into an empty pouch easier.

Most advancements in gear is in what can be simplified/removed.

FBG Tactical
02-14-12, 21:03
For the fiber optic....Instead of having the panel roll to the side, have it roll towards the rear with some hook on the top of it at the front end and loop going the rest of the way down so you could pull it back little by little and velcro it down. if you have to go to the side maybe 3 to 4 small side flipping panels instead of 1 big one. I understand this may be a harder stitching pattern.

It's such a small area to work in that a zipper may not fit. I think you may have the best idea yet. I can split the panel in two. I built some with a roll up panel, the hook and loop was too stiff.

FBG Tactical
02-14-12, 21:14
Just tried to make a couple of ACOG covers with kydex. Not working at all. This is the newer flex kydex. I've tried with the regular kydex and it is definately a no-go.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3857.jpg

ta33 in the pic

Failure2Stop
02-14-12, 21:15
It's such a small area to work in that a zipper may not fit. I think you may have the best idea yet. I can split the panel in two. I built some with a roll up panel, the hook and loop was too stiff.

https://3gunstuff.800cart.com/?product=SKU0016&id=3gunstuff

FBG Tactical
02-14-12, 21:44

ACOG Cover:
Lots of bulk. Provides (1) thing more than just wrapping the Fiber Optic tube with a cut-away innertube. That (1) thing is the LED light source. Focus on that, and make it as simple as possible.
Integrate that with an optional objective lens occlusion method and you will make a lot of COG users happy.

I am trying to cut bulk. Built one for the 4 power with an occluded objective- it was eotech fast at close ranges. It wasn't quite refined enough. I will work on that.

Heavy 6:
If you want to make something to carry SF 60s, I would eliminate everything else. Those that are in most need of those mags are distributors of high volume of fire, and the option to go prone is generally appreciated for those individuals. A single layer of 30s on the front with 60s toward the side might be a solution, depending on the size of the panel and the individual user.

That rig was a prototype for a civie who wanted huge load capacity. I concur on the prone situation.
That may be possible to mount 30's on the front and two 60's on the side.

Holster:
An exposed holster should really have a retention feature. Given that there are already very successful, very proven holsters with those features I would focus on integrating those existing options to a better PALS mounting solution.

SMURF:
Buckles on the front/top of the panel can be annoying, depending on ride height. There is a whole lot of material behind the mags and part of the system that doesn't appear to be necessary, which will retain a lot of heat and prevent wicking/drying. Maybe you have some kind of wicking/air circulation on the inside, I can't tell.
The mag pouches are very deep, which is good for retention, but I would much rather have more mag available to grab with a removable retention device, such as a bungee with tab. What is the side pouch sized for? I don't see an immediate need to put anything on my support side unless it feeds a gun or fills a need. The pistol mag pouches, like the rifle mag pouches seem deeper than optimal, and all seem to have a cover, which slows the user from a rapid pistol reload, which is really the most critical reload for someone that carrys a side-arm. It also appears that the pistol pouch is attached to a "loose" rifle mag pouch, which will make the pouch floppy once the rifle mag is removed. Adding a hard backer of some sort to make the rifle pouch rigid will keep the pistol mag pouch fixed in position as well as make replacing the rifle mag into an empty pouch easier.

The heavy 6 has mash hooks on the front, very flat. Agree on the buckles, trying to find a solution.

The excess fabric you see above the mags serves two purposes.
1: I live in MT and my winter gear would bunch over the mags making exrtraction tough.
2: In order to time out the molle on the inside for body armor it had to be at least that tall for some adjustment. Maybe I can make a couple with just a little bit hangin out the top. Maybe an inch above the mag line.

The rifle pouches are very ridgid and stiff do to the kydex built in. They do not flop around. The pouch depth is not optimal for a beer can grab, but it was as short as we could make it and still have adequate retension. I am not mil so not sure on how much flap- bungee retension is needed. I can build a removable lid and have put bungees with tabs on some for a secondary retension. I don't like bungees or flaps from my experiences of night shooting. Slow reloads and bumping ammo up was a pain in the ass. However I am not mil. or leo so my opinions are moot. Rather listen and make a couple of bucks.

Agree less is more.

Travelingchild
02-14-12, 21:53
Agree less is more.

If a zipper won't work in this particular design, instead of splitting the flap, what about using velcro "one wrap" from 1/2" to 1 1/2" widths.
As you peal it to allow more light, it simply rolls up and velcro's to itself,
It functions as the flap, 2 strips on either side of the opening to secure it in the closed position. thoughts?

Smash
02-14-12, 21:56
If a zipper won't work in this particular design, instead of splitting the flap, what about using velcro "one wrap" from 1/2" to 1 1/2" widths.
As you peal it to allow more light, it simply rolls up and velcro's to itself,
It functions as the flap, 2 strips on either side of the opening to secure it in the closed position. thoughts?

Been brought up

Travelingchild
02-14-12, 22:12
Been brought up
Different idea, If I understood correctly

I built some with a roll up panel, the hook and loop was too stiff.

Building a panel then adding velcro, increased bulk and stiffness. This is due to rolling the seams of the main fabric, I'm guessing 500 dernier? that makes the edges equivalent to 1000 dernier nylon cordura, add the stitching even stiffer, throw on the velcro with it's own backing, relevant stitching, etc. yup thats stiff.

Velcro one wrap has both sides laminated from the factory, no stitching, It becomes the panel. Dependent on the width needed.

FBG Tactical apologies if I miss understand.

custom-x_sponjah
02-16-12, 13:17
Second.
People have been asking RCS and damn near every other mom & Pop kydex shop for MOLLE mounted holsters with little success. This has huge potential, and that Multicam Laminate is going to be huge. The only other company I know that does that right now is Safariland.

We've been doing BOTH for years... ;-)
These Pics are from a thread back in 2008-2009 era..

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/HSGI/PB140088.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/HSGI/PB140091.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/HSGI/PB140093.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/HSGI/PB140097.jpg

CXS

Vash1023
02-16-12, 14:14
multicam kydex is a great idea.

Endur
02-16-12, 14:23
We've been doing BOTH for years... ;-)
These Pics are from a thread back in 2008-2009 era..

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/HSGI/PB140088.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/HSGI/PB140091.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/HSGI/PB140093.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/HSGI/PB140097.jpg
CXS

Where can I get one?

FBG Tactical
02-16-12, 15:18

Holster:

SMURF:
The mag pouches are very deep, which is good for retention, but I would much rather have more mag available to grab with a removable retention device, such as a bungee with tab. What is the side pouch sized for? I don't see an immediate need to put anything on my support side unless it feeds a gun or fills a need. The pistol mag pouches, like the rifle mag pouches seem deeper than optimal, and all seem to have a cover, which slows the user from a rapid pistol reload, which is really the most critical reload for someone that carrys a side-arm. It also appears that the pistol pouch is attached to a "loose" rifle mag pouch, which will make the pouch floppy once the rifle mag is removed. Adding a hard backer of some sort to make the rifle pouch rigid will keep the pistol

I built this last night. I designated the design as the F2S rig. VERY minimalist, and comes in at just under 30 oz. Holds 3/30-40 ar style mags, two pistol mags, and 1 pistol. Currently configured in a glock 17. IM going to try and shorten the mag pouches as well.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3867.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3866.jpg
Taking your ideas into consideration, I ditched the top fabric narrowed the rig and slimmed it down. Secondary retension was also added to the pistol holster. With the two crossdraw pistol mags on the front of the pistol, I have used all available real estate. As a side: the pistol mag pouches have retension and the lids can be folded and velcroed out of the way. Of course a guy could bolt another 3 mag panel to the front if needed.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3871.jpg

Thanks for the opinions Failure to Stop. Any other thoughts or critisisms would be appreciated.

lethal dose
02-16-12, 15:34
The onnlThe only issue I forsee is shouldering your carbine and pistol draw at the current ride height. I've never ran a sidearm on a chest rig, so I may just be thinking out loud.

FBG Tactical
02-16-12, 16:03
No worries. I was torn on chest mount pistol until I built this rig. You can easily draw your sidearm and shoulder your primary. If you're thinking a different config. let me know.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3872.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3877.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/beckabees/FBG/DSC_3878.jpg

chiken wing for reference.

lethal dose
02-16-12, 19:21
Worth a shot!