PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 inch 686 Plus

Animal_Mother556
02-10-12, 03:41
I have recently acquired one. I would like to carry it. I am not new to shooting revolvers, but I am new to carrying them. What kinds of holsters are you all using with your revolvers? I would prefer to carry this thing OWB but can't decide between Kydex and leather.

Thanks, guys.

Animal_Mother556
02-10-12, 11:13
No one? Okay...do any of you even carry a K or L framed revolver with short bbl??? (or any full-sized revolver)

Jason Falla
02-10-12, 11:20
For me holster choice is not about the type of weapon that I am carrying but where I want to carry it, how long I have to carry it for, the type of function that I am performing with the gun, what situations or positions I am likely to have to present the gun from.

I like carrying outside the waist band and I use predominately a leather holster for my day to day activities. I know that I am slightly slower using a leather holster over my kydex but comfort plays a big part during my day to day carry.

If I am performing a security role, EP, PSD or similar, I will use Kydex for the most part as I may be more likely to produce the weapon in that role.

You may be restricted in the kydex due to not many manufacturers making a holster to fit that gun. You will definitely be able to find a leather on though.

Just some thoughts.

Hizzie
02-10-12, 14:14
I packed a S&W 681PC Quadport 4" for a long time. I used a Ready Tactical Products paddle holster and speedloader holder. Would have prefered a Comp-Tac but the mold was broke at the time. Cylinder bulge and overall weight are the enemy. A good belt, possibly suspenders, a quality holster and proper cover garment will make it possible. I prefer SL Variant speedloaders for reloads backed up with plenty of speed strips stashed like fire extinguishers here and there. Oh, and pics or it never happened!

savagesteel
02-10-12, 15:06
I've had the 686 plus, 2.5" barrel gun on my buy list forever. Great gun. If it were me I would go with a Bladetech SRB (Sting Ray Belt holster) until I could get a Mitch Rosen leather holster or custom Kydex job made up. I haven't found too many Kydex makers with the 686 on their list of gun models. I'd be interested to see pics of what you went with when you decide!

shua713
02-10-12, 15:44
My brother just purchased a 686 plus but with a 4 inch barrel. He has a leather holster, owb. I will check with him and see what kind he uses

PD Sgt.
02-10-12, 17:18
I have a Milt Sparks VMII for my 696 (.44 Spl. 3" barrel) and it has been comfortable for IWB. I was a little concerned about cylinder width, but so far I have not had a problem.

For a revolver I would probably stick with leather over kydex. I am not sure how much wider the mouth of the holster has to be made for the kydex to accommodate the cylinder, and how that would affect concealability. OWB I would look at the 55BN or the PMK by Sparks, or one of the many other quality holster makers (Alessi, 5Shot, etc.) offerings.

DocH
02-10-12, 18:44
I agree that as far as revolvers go,leather will be easier to find for that particular revolver than kydex. I carry a Mod.19 S&W 2 1/2 in.quite often these days and I either use a Mitch Rosen 5G slide,or an AIWB rough side out holster.
I actually prefer the AIWB now for all handgun carry,but there are occasions where it is not feasible. You'll need a sturdy double thick belt.Width doesn't matter much.I like 1 1/4 in. for myself.

Animal_Mother556
02-10-12, 19:52
pics or it never happened!

Sorry, bro

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k618/AnimalMother_556/100_1461.jpg

Thanks for the input, guys. I have decided on leather pancake....now i will have to decide what brand. I have heard good things about Lobo holsters

davidz71
02-10-12, 20:21
I still have a 2.5, 4 and 6 inch 686 revolvers and shot them in competition. I used a Safariland #29 lined thumb break holster for the 4 inch and put the 2.5 inch in there also to save having to buy another holster.

DWood
02-11-12, 09:43
Milt Sparks leather OWB is the only way to go for me. Here is my SW Lew Horton 25-14 in a Milt Sparks PMK (not left handed, shot photo in mirror). Well worth the 5 month wait if you have the time.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/DSC_1160.jpg

Colt Detective Special on the right.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/DSC_1162.jpg

DocH
02-12-12, 09:18
Nice holsters DWood. Here's the 19-2 in a Rosen 5G.

Hizzie
02-12-12, 13:24
Nice holsters DWood. Here's the 19-2 in a Rosen 5G.

Dead sexy. I "need" a 2.5" Model 66 in my collection. Splinter grips with a Tyler-T, classic full sized snubby.

rm06
02-12-12, 13:30
I have decided on leather pancake....now i will have to decide what brand. I have heard good things about Lobo holsters

Lobo is awesome, the pancake is Ray's flagship holster.

M4Fundi
02-12-12, 14:56
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_1719.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_1685_2.jpg

Milt Sparks 200AW
It stays in place on a galloping horse all day and pulls clean without any thumb break. It is worth the wait:)

anachronism
02-12-12, 16:49
I'd suggest a Simply Rugged "Sourdough Pancake" holster if you like pancake style. There are several options available. One production holster I've been happy with is Desantis "Thumb Break Scabbard". It's too bad they don't offer the "Dual Angle Hunter" for the short barrel, it's more of a filed holster, but one of my favorites. For Kydex, I second the opinion of Blade Techs Stingray.

Timbonez
02-12-12, 20:53
+1 for the Simply Rugged sourdough pancake holster. I have one for my 4" N-frames and another for my 2.5" Model 19. They're comfortable to carry for hiking. They aren't too difficult to conceal either, especially if you option for the IWB loops.

blasternank
02-12-12, 21:56
Look at Galco as well. They have some nice polymer belt holsters. I can't stand paddle holsters as they dig into me and are very uncomfortable.