PDA

View Full Version : Dad shoots daughters Laptop!

BCmJUnKie
02-10-12, 11:31
Be careful what you say on the internet...especially about the people that pay your bills!

This dad is pissed hahah

http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9738000

Cincinnatus
02-10-12, 11:34
On a work PC that doesn't have Flash--what happens in the vid?

BCmJUnKie
02-10-12, 11:44
Oh man you gotta watch it.

The daughter was talking shit about her dad and family on facebook, bitching and whining how she has chores and shes "Tired" and
"Has no life".

Her dad found the video she posted and replied to it about how shes 15 years old and how easy she has it.

This is AFTER he spent $130.00 updating her laptop with new software etc.

At the end he pick up the camera he is using to film himself talking, to show her nice shiny computer laying on the ground....he then proceeds to put hollow points through it lol

Cincinnatus
02-10-12, 11:52
Thanks for the description. I will watch the vid itself later. Sounds like a valuable lesson for a whiner who doesn't realize what life in the real world is actually like outside her padded, swaddled existence. :D

BCmJUnKie
02-10-12, 11:54
Its something that has been REALLY irritating me lately.

I get SO sick of listening to "Kids" (8-18) whining and bitching about how "Hard" they have it.

They have no idea

Zhurdan
02-10-12, 11:57
I know right? Back in the day... I had to walk to school in the snow... uphill both ways!
:D

Cincinnatus
02-10-12, 11:59
I had to learn it the hard way when I was a teen. I think all these whiny kids could use some manual labor. It really does build character!
:laugh:
Here's an idea for reality show I'd actually watch, take a bunch a Justin Bieber crybaby wannanbies and make them actually earn a living doing work--or even better, having dad's like the one in the video smash up all their stuff!

maximus83
02-10-12, 12:05
My 2 teenagers have a pretty good work ethic and rarely do the "whine and cheese" thing. But I did share with them the following "tips for success" list by Bill Gates, which has always struck me as wise advice to prepare for reality. They seemed to get this.

1: Life is not fair - get used to it!
2: The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
3: You will NOT make £30,000 a year right out of high school.
4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.
5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: opportunity.
6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes - learn from them.
7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT.
9: Life is not divided into terms. You don't get summers off, and very few employers are interested in helping you "find yourself". Do that in your own time.
10: TV is not real life. In In real life, people have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

kartoffel
02-10-12, 12:12
Way to set a positive example by shooting the computer, dad. Real classy. The apple never falls far from the tree.

Safetyhit
02-10-12, 16:25
Way to set a positive example by shooting the computer, dad. Real classy. The apple never falls far from the tree.

Agreed. At first I was on board with his sentiments (minus the exploding hollow point part), but after the shooting I figured he may be part of the problem.

BCmJUnKie
02-10-12, 16:36
At the beginning I was with him too.

His daughter was bein a spoiled little brat and bashed him on the internet, I thought it was hilarious how he replied to HER facebook...where she talked shit.

When he pulled out his gun, it changed everything.

It not my problem and Im not there in that house, I dont know how he does things or even how he TALKS to his kid. So I really cant comment.

Him spending the money to upgrade her computer and her comments tell me that she is used to getting whatever she wants.

Which serves her right, having her computer "Removed" from thje equation of shit talking.

I think in his own head it was proving a point.

loupav
02-10-12, 18:22
I watched it, and I laughed my ass off! I'm not a parent....yet, but I have seen too many "parents" that are more of "friends" than parents.

I got grounded many times when I was young and dumb(er) and each time my dad told me "some day you'll thank me for this..." I never did, but I kind of wish I had the chance.

All I have to say is, GOOD FOR HIM!!!!!!!!!!

Moose-Knuckle
02-10-12, 18:34
As long as it was private property and he did not endanger anyone in the stunt I'd say he's GTG.

SteveL
02-10-12, 18:42
I'm not a parent, but I thought it was awesome. Too many kids these days erroneously believe that they are their parents' equals in the household, and too many parents seem to let that idea go unchecked. It wasn't that way in my house as I grew up.

J-Dub
02-10-12, 20:54
This made my day.

One day, she'll look back and thank him for actually being a parent and caring.

Belmont31R
02-10-12, 21:44
Adult temper tantrum.

rojocorsa
02-10-12, 23:12
Its something that has been REALLY irritating me lately.

I get SO sick of listening to "Kids" (8-18) whining and bitching about how "Hard" they have it.

They have no idea

God, I hate listening to these people and their first world problems. Shit.

And then there are the bad parents who enable their kids. I know some people like that and its disgusting what they do to their kids by buying them everything and wiping their kids' asses for them.

I did watch this video yesterday, because it seems to be going viral all over the place---and I'm not sure I understood why he shot the computer either. I mean, he could have just permanently confiscated it or sold it off. I just can't see the point on destroying perfectly good things, especially after he invested an additional $130 on it.

CarlosDJackal
02-10-12, 23:31
To those of us who can relate to these parents, we call this "tough love". To those who relate to their bitch of a daughter, were probably once whiny, spoiled little brats themselves who grew up thinking that the world owe them an easy life.

If you think he was too tough, why don't you take a trip to a third world country where the kids would be happy to sweep the floor, clean a counter top, run a dishwasher, or till a garden in exhange for room, board and free education.

When I was growing up, I never even considered swearing at or about my parents because I knew my Mother (God Bless her Soul in Heaven) would kick my butt when she found out. I can't even fathom posting any kind of crap on any member of my family - especially where others can read it.

Their daughter is lucky they don't slap her like the little snot-nosed bitch that she seems to be. Maybe they should pay her for the chores she does, and then charge her for the room and board she gets.

CarlosDJackal
02-10-12, 23:33
...and I'm not sure I understood why he shot the computer either. I mean, he could have just permanently confiscated it or sold it off. I just can't see the point on destroying perfectly good things, especially after he invested an additional $130 on it.

This is the only thing I was wondering as well. Or maybe they should have given the laptop to a kid who would appreciate having it.

BCmJUnKie
02-10-12, 23:37
This is the only thing I was wondering as well. Or maybe they should have given the laptop to a kid who would appreciate having it.

Personally thats what I would have done.

He was mad about spending money on the thing the day before....and then shot it.

I would have sold it to get my money back.

But...like I said, I wasnt there and I dont know what kind of dad he is.

Its not my money so more power to him.

Its his way of doing things I guess.

Belmont31R
02-10-12, 23:43
To those of us who can relate to these parents, we call this "tough love". To those who relate to their bitch of a daughter, were probably once whiny, spoiled little brats themselves who grew up thinking that the world owe them an easy life.

If you think he was too tough, why don't you take a trip to a third world country where the kids would be happy to sweep the floor, clean a counter top, run a dishwasher, or till a garden in exhange for room, board and free education.

When I was growing up, I never even considered swearing at or about my parents because I knew my Mother (God Bless her Soul in Heaven) would kick my butt when she found out. I can't even fathom posting any kind of crap on any member of my family - especially where others can read it.

Their daughter is lucky they don't slap her like the little snot-nosed bitch that she seems to be. Maybe they should pay her for the chores she does, and then charge her for the room and board she gets.

Kids are taught in school now that if they are spanked its "abuse", and to tell a teacher to call 911. I can imagine any physical reaction to a 15 year old girl would result in the dad getting a nice DV charge along with loss of gun rights the rest of his life.

Hell they are even charging men with DV because they 'yelled' at their wifes or called them a name.

Not that I think slapping a 15 year old girl is appropriate as, for me, there would be better ways to handle it. You aren't going to beat respect into a teenager, and if they are that age saying that stuff you've already failed somewhere along the line or your kid is just destined to be a ****up.

tb-av
02-10-12, 23:51
Something seems fake about that to me.

when he was younger than her, making him 14, he left home, went to high school and college and was a fireman and is currently an IT person and has a "clinic".

I don't believe it.

I appreciate the sentiment though. My father, had there been computers back then, would have given the laptop to someone else. .. like the "cleaning lady".

Artos
02-10-12, 23:54
Apple didn't fall far from the tree...too much home consumption for my taste.

To put that on her fb page is just as bad as her vent...I think a bullet ridden laptop left in her room with a 'private' vid would have hit home better??

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-11-12, 04:54
Seems Dad has some emotional problems of his own. I would rather see him make her donate the laptop to goodwill than destroy something in anger. Parents that discipline out of/while angry set a poor example.

But, its his daughter and not my place to judge. As long as he doesnt abuse her, then he can raise her how he wants. Just not my parenting style (and I do have anger problems, just got to be conscious about it).

ST911
02-11-12, 12:07
I chuckled. I sympathize. However, actions like that have significant potential to cast gun owners in a bad light. That video is making the rounds with the anti-gunners as well, and it will be of use to them.

Dozer
02-11-12, 13:50
The dad reminds me of this commercial.

Grandson with a dog collar. (http://youtu.be/c-zG5U0v3gU)

threeheadeddog
02-11-12, 14:10
I sympathize with the tough love idea though I dont always fallow through with it. I also have no problem with him taking his own property(the laptop he bought) and destroying it.

I have personally discarded a movie that I bought the day it came out for my kids. I went to the store, bought popcorn and other things to make a nice movie night for my kids only to come home(after a 12 hour day) to a wife crying because of the way she had been treated by my kids that day. I dont tend to decipline while angry and I quite calmly threw the blue-ray away. I didnt feel bad about it(except that I was interested in seeing the movie as well) because sometimes as a parent I have to give up something to help teach my kids.

GeorgiaBoy
02-11-12, 14:40
This is one more fine example of a viral video hurting people's views on gun owners.

It once again supports the view that gun owners are a bunch of unsafe, redneck lunatics.

TehLlama
02-11-12, 14:43
"These things are expensive. They're about a dollar apiece"

The daughter will come out just fine, even if it going ridiculously viral may not have been the most tactful way about it.

sgtjosh
02-11-12, 16:38
The entitlement mentality is taking root in our kids. Don't let liberals ruin the minds of your children and make them handicapped by their own attitude. Parents, take back your home and we can take back our country.

SteyrAUG
02-11-12, 17:35

I disagree. I don't think he did anything wrong. What was he supposed to do, hold onto it while she is grounded? He made a dramatic statement which is sometimes the ONLY thing children learn from.

Seems like he is guilty of overly indulging his daughter, and when it became obvious he took steps that he deemed necessary to correct his mistake.

If he simply threw it away, gave it away or sold it she probably wouldn't learn any boundaries and would have it in her mind that he "stole her computer" and that is probably the only thing she would take away from the lesson.

Perhaps "Crap, I guess he is serious about there being consequences" might help her develop from the child who expects everything into something closer to a reasonable adult.

If you want to criticize, save it for the parents who do nothing in these situations but throw up their hands and say "What can we do?" or even worse, don't even recognize when their kids are way out of line.

Gutshot John
02-11-12, 20:31
Daughter sounds like a piece of work, that said, I blame the parents. Dad obviously has some anger management issues.

Do I think what he did was wrong? No but it was almost certainly unnecessary if he had been doing his job.

I have cousins, nieces and nephews that have far more money and are far more entitled than this guy. Yet they seem to be polite, respectful, do their chores and one of them is thinking of enlisting in the military even though his dad could afford to send him to the best college in the country.

Tarring all kids with the "entitlement society" brush seems excessive. Some kids are good and some kids are bad.

The difference is usually in the parenting.

HES
02-11-12, 20:35
I cant disagree. You have an out of control daughter. Parents try punishment, she blows it off, continues with behavior, parents escalate punishment, she blows it off. Wash, rinse, repeat. Eventually you get to the point where drastic times call for drastic measures.

The girl comes across as an ingrateful, self entitled bitch who just "put up with" her parents. She had no problem embarrassing her family or looking down on her "lessers." Well looks like they finally got the message through to her.

Was dad throwing a temper tantrum? Not from where I sit. I see a dad who didn't yell or scream. I saw a dad at the end of his rope who was cool, calm, and collected.

Based on the facebook comments, she got it through her head finally. Now could he have donated it? Yeah he could have. I don't think it would have had nearly the shock value.

This dad gets 4 stars from me.

In regards to the girls behavior, some times its the fault of the parents. Other times they turn out this way despite their parents efforts. In talking to other parents, my LEO buddies, and a couple of mental health professionals that I know, they all seem to say the same thing. Something ****ed up is going on. A disturbing number of teenaged girls are acting like this, way beyond what could be expected in terms of numbers and in what is considered to be the normal rebellious phase of life. It cant all be the parents since the boys are apparently not ****ing up any more frequently or in any more of a grandiose fashion than they have in the past.

Scoby
02-11-12, 20:36
I agree Steyr.

Although I don't know that I'd of shot the laptop.
I've got a 18 yo son who is a HS senior and thinks his shit don't stink. Standout baseball player.
His grades have dropped and he has now been a month without his truck and is starting to see the light. He hates that his mother has to take him to school. He says it is embarssing for him. Oh well...suck it up.

Actions or inactions have consequences.....learn it and live it.

I love my kids and I let them know it. No amount of money could take them from me but...I wouldn't give a nickel for another one.

Gutshot John
02-11-12, 23:24
If you have an out of control daughter, it's because you let her get out of control.

SteyrAUG
02-12-12, 00:07
I agree Steyr.

Although I don't know that I'd of shot the laptop.

I probably wouldn't either. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna say he's wrong. I know a black woman who used to whip her kids with extension cords. And honestly, knowing the kids they were some out of control ****tards from the start and that was one of the few things that got through to them.

There were some people they came to learn were serious and their Mom was one of them. They were hardly perfect kids but if their Mom didn't use some drastic means of getting their attention they probably would have turned out really bad.

Not every kid responds to the Dr. Phil approach.

And parents aren't perfect either, sometimes they need to learn from and correct the mistakes THEY made. Just be glad they are trying, too many parents don't give a shit. I'd rather have a parent TRYING to do the job, than one who simply doesn't care and has a ****stick kid that we are all gonna have to deal with.

If you are a parent who doesn't have these problems, your kid is a good kid and you really haven't made any mistakes that now need to be corrected...wonderful. Congratulations, you are doing better than most and you know very well it isn't easy. I only wish that was true for everyone, but it isn't.

Thomas M-4
02-12-12, 00:28
For me personally its a hard call. I once had relations with a girl that freely admitted to me to be a unruly teenager. Remember this is before face book.. But to try to shorten the story as much as possible she tried to leave her parents house as teenager to live in with her former BF and had a fairly big argument which caused her parents to throw away everything she owned and re-decorate her room has a little girls room. She told me that episode completely changed her attitude.
I am not saying the father in the video was justified because I can see the humiliation that could be caused and to a teenager public humiliation could be a dangerous thing...

Smuckatelli
02-12-12, 07:13
A brilliant example of bad parenting.

The guy isn't in control of his emotions anymore than the 15 year old daughter.

You don't use a gun to correct a teenager.

The guy is insecure and has no idea how to raise a daughter. Punish the lass but supervise the punishment....it seems people will punish without supervising probably because they won't take the time to supervise the children.

ryr8828
02-12-12, 07:51
A brilliant example of bad parenting.

The guy isn't in control of his emotions anymore than the 15 year old daughter.

You don't use a gun to correct a teenager.

The guy is insecure and has no idea how to raise a daughter. Punish the lass but supervise the punishment....it seems people will punish without supervising probably because they won't take the time to supervise the children.

Not in control of his emotions? He obviously thought all this out and seemed extremely calm to me.

He didn't point the gun at his daughter, he simply used it to destroy the laptop. A laptop which he owned.

You have no idea if this man is insecure, how he's supervised his daughter, and really know nothing about him or his family relationship.

I swear some of the responses in this thread look more like they came from Sarah Brady's website than a gun owners website.

When my son was a teenager he bought a honda 750. I told him if I got many reports about him being unsafe on it or saw him being unsafe on it myself then I would walk up to it and put a .357 slug through the motor and make sure he couldn't kill himself on it.

God only knows how many aspersions you could cast at my parenting ability over the internet for my threat.

Smuckatelli
02-12-12, 08:28
Not in control of his emotions? He obviously thought all this out and seemed extremely calm to me.

The problem is the daughter, not the computer.

He didn't point the gun at his daughter, he simply used it to destroy the laptop. A laptop which he owned.

Again, the problem is the daughter, not the laptop.

You have no idea if this man is insecure, how he's supervised his daughter, and really know nothing about him or his family relationship.

You have the same amount of knowledge about this man and his daughter. I can only talk about the video which is an example of a parential fail. Taking out his insecurities on an inanimate object and going viral with it does absolutely nothing to teach the daughter a lesson.

Who was the message for? His daughter....he could have just taken her outside and destroyed the computer. It appears that he was insecure so much that he had to put it on her FB.....do the opinions of her friends REALLY hold that much sway over him? Would you define this as being secure....telling her friends how screwed up she is? Do you really think her friends are going to say...her dad has a good point? The only thing that he did was confirm to her friends that all the BS that she has been saying is true.

From all appearances, he was trying to humilate his daughter in a public forum. Is humiliation now a good parenting/leadership trait?

I swear some of the responses in this thread look more like they came from Sarah Brady's website than a gun owners website.

A simple question;

How do you think this advances our stance about gun ownership?

Do you really think that the anti-gun crowd is going come up with 'good parenting dad'? There is a better chance that they are going to jump on the dad for using a gun as a threat to a 15 year old. Do you think an anti-gun avocate won't take advantage of this?

When my son was a teenager he bought a honda 750. I told him if I got many reports about him being unsafe on it or saw him being unsafe on it myself then I would walk up to it and put a .357 slug through the motor and make sure he couldn't kill himself on it.

God only knows how many aspersions you could cast at my parenting ability over the internet for my threat.

Opinions, ours are different, no big deal. I don't use a gun as a parenting punishment tool. All three of my kids shoot, the youngest began at 6, the oldest (18) competed for a few years with an AR-15 at Camp Perry and a few other ranges on the East Coast.

I have come down hard on the kids when they needed it. I have seen some stupid crap from my oldest but I never went the humiliation route. Securing her from activities, yes but never humiliation. Actions speak loader than words, I'm not a parent that needs the approval of my kids friends nor do I care what thier friends think of me.

NCPatrolAR
02-12-12, 09:12
Hell they are even charging men with DV because they 'yelled' at their wifes or called them a name.

Where has that happened?

montanadave
02-12-12, 09:37
The problem is the daughter, not the computer.

I have come down hard on the kids when they needed it. I have seen some stupid crap from my oldest but I never went the humiliation route. Securing her from activities, yes but never humiliation. Actions speak loader than words, I'm not a parent that needs the approval of my kids friends nor do I care what thier friends think of me.

I agree. The guy obviously needed to vent and that's OK. Doing it publicly and punitively seems ill-advised. And shooting the laptop? That was simply petulant, reactionary, and wasteful. He should have just wiped the hard drive and donated it to charity.

As for the parenting aspect. Smuckatelli, you seem to have a pretty good handle on it. And, having read some of your posts about your kids and their accomplishments, the results appear to bear out the efficacy of your approach. I'm not a parent. I haven't faced these kinds of challenges. But IF I were and IF I did, I'd be looking at men/fathers like you as an example of "how to" and guys like Mr. Laptop as "how not to."

tb-av
02-12-12, 10:02
I still don't believe this is real.

A .45 in one hand that doesn't recoil and multiple shots into a plastic box that doesn't move even a 1/4". It doesn't even sound like a .45. It sounds like a .22.

This seems more like a benign version of the "balloon boy" episode, sans media chase.

ETA: I guess he wasn't too concerned about those "exploding" bullets ricocheting back off the hard drive or battery and putting his eye out, or worse, either.

You would think after firing 8 rounds of .45 with no ear protection his voice would have changed slightly too.

If it's real, it's bad parenting on many levels.

maximus83
02-12-12, 11:20
Obviously the father in this case did not handle it well. Turning a family matter into a public spectacle, humiliating your kid on the Internet, and permanently destroying something she valued, is not how I'd choose to handle a discipline issue (even when the kid is clearly in the wrong, as she was). The punishment is too extreme for the crime, and it hurts the long-term relationship. A better approach IMO--and I've actually done something like this with one of mine--would be to simply ground her from her Internet access and her Facebook account for a while. Usually a month of two will do the job; they will be having serious Internet withdrawal symptoms by then, and will do anything you require them to, in order to get it back. :-) Set some agreed upon guidelines that she has to meet around the home (such as doing chores, having a respectful attitude, etc.), for her to regain and keep the privilege. When she does get the Facebook back, make a written agreement on what kind of material is appropriate, and require that both parents will be "friends" and have access to her Facebook, no exceptions. And besides all that, he needs to TALK to her more. Sure, the kid in this case was being whiny and self-absorbed. But given how he handled this, I'd give you odds that the parents are not spending much time with her, talking to her, etc. The fact that this father felt he had to resort to this dramatic (and childish, IMO) spectacle to humiliate his daughter on the Internet, tells me already that he probably doesn't have a very great relationship with his daughter. And what little he had, has now been made worse.

buckshot1220
02-12-12, 21:30
I'm not a parent, but this seems a little over the top. He is stooping to his daughter's level by putting this on FB. Parents who consistently battle their children for who can be the biggest a$$hat in the room always made me scratch my head. It just breeds further rebellion. I've seen it with my friends and with my cousins as they were growing up.

Additionally, shooting a laptop that was just upgraded for the sake of proving a point is just ridiculous. "I'm mad at you so I'm going to shoot this inanimate object that I paid for!" Real mature, standing ovation. I think it'd be a better punishment to put a password on it and give it to a younger sibling of hers or just use as a backup. Spending $130 on upgrades and using those superhydraatomicincendieryexploding $20 a box bullets was way more financially prudent though. It also paints firearms owners in a wonderful light:rolleyes:

Sorry if the above is abrasive, but when something strikes me as megatard I lose my filter.

Dunderway
02-12-12, 23:08
20 years ago, a 15 year old girl would have been talking about this to her friends in person or writing about it in her diary. Would it not seem a little more F'd up for Dad to steal his daughter's diary and then destroy her shit for the stuff she had written in it? It would be a different story if she had said this to his face, or even meant for him to see it.

I didn't have to mine coal by age six like most of the other members here, but the daughter seemed like an alright kid; go to school, clean, do dishes, etc. Even Wally and the Beaver complained about doing chores.

To me the moral of the story is that Facebook is a bad idea. Hopefully the girl learned a lesson on what is private and what is not.

Smuckatelli
02-13-12, 00:15
Smuckatelli, you seem to have a pretty good handle on it.

Thank you for the compliment.

To be trueful, I'm still learning, my 'Midshipman' throws me for a loop almost every day. There is no right answer but I will throw out there that FB is a good tool. I posted this on the 31st:

The key to success is by your subordinates. When they are better than you, you are a successful leader. I am so very proud of you 'Malissa' ;)

S/A; Malissa is my 'personal name' for her. I still have two more kids in the chute....I have a lot to learn.

Currently, the kids would never use a weapon for agression, self defense and the protection of others, yes, agression no. Then again, I won't know for sure until the white elephant presents itself to the kids.

I will learn something new tomorrow. :agree:

Smuckatelli
02-13-12, 00:21
I didn't have to mine coal by age six like most of the other members here, but the daughter seemed like an alright kid; go to school, clean, do dishes, etc. Even Wally and the Beaver complained about doing chores.

I had to walk 20 miles up hill both ways to school....in barefeet...:p

The daughter wasn't wrong......she's 15, the dad was screwed up. Building a brick wall is easy........communicating with a teenager is a major pain but if done properly, the teenager will do good for society.

Cincinnatus
02-13-12, 10:26
Alright, why is the reaction to this based on the fact a gun was used? A gun is just a tool. Would the reaction be different if he had smashed it with a hammer? From your average citizen,yes. We here should know better. ;)

ChicagoTex
02-14-12, 01:54
A better approach IMO--and I've actually done something like this with one of mine--would be to simply ground her from her Internet access and her Facebook account for a while. Usually a month of two will do the job;

Watch the video again. According to him he did exactly that earlier in the year, and it's fairly obvious that didn't work out.

I'm in the camp of not seeing anything especially crazy here. His previous methods of communication weren't working, so he took a more dramatic route through vehicles of consequence that he felt she would recognize. IMO, posting it on her FB had nothing to do with satisfying personal insecurities among her friends and everything to do with shutting down her primary vehicle for grossly dishonoring her parents. If it's truly humiliating for your social circle to know how you've (mis)behaved, then you've brought the humiliation on yourself.
Additionally, I do not see any reason to give this gentleman shit for destroying the laptop, rather than donating it. It was his, and he elected to use it to send a message and for personal catharsis - neither of which would be as effectively achieved, if at all, through donation.
As far as the overall parenting picture goes, it has been my observation that, on occaison, awful children can come from the best of parents, but even if this isn't one of those cases, this man's potential previous mistakes shouldn't somehow prevent him from taking a swift course change in an attempt to right his daughter. I mean, really, what's the alternative? Give up and start over with another kid?

And finally, the suggestion that this is in any way, shape, or form tantamount to threatening his daughter with a firearm or trying to solve his problems with a gun are preposterous. Throughout the entire video I don't get even the slightest whiff of abuse (or any physical correction, i.e. spanking) whatsoever, and employing his pistol to destroy the laptop is, to me, literally no different from using a sledgehammer, baseball bat, or a coffee can of thermite.
As far as the Brady crowd trying to get mileage out of this goes, I can only say that the crippling paranoia of anything and everything you do related to guns making you an "ambassador for the sport" and requiring you to tiptoe around doing anything that might, when presented out of context, be construed for anti-gun purposes basically runs contrary to the very notion of the right (and indeed, any right) in the first place. In the parlance of the street: no matter what you do, haters gonna hate. Besides, compared to your usual mass murderer with a gun, this stuff doesn't even move the needle; so until we can get the homicides under control, what say we let up on the laptop shooters?

Sensei
02-14-12, 02:47
I'm not a big fan of the father's methods. Personally, I do not feel that firearms have any place in maintaining family discipline standards. They are tools that I use to defend my family - not a means to make a point. Second, behavior problems are corrected in private, and the only public displays are apologies to any offended third parties.

Sensei
02-14-12, 02:56
Alright, why is the reaction to this based on the fact a gun was used? A gun is just a tool. Would the reaction be different if he had smashed it with a hammer? From your average citizen,yes. We here should know better. ;)

Firearms are tools, but they command greater responsibility than your average hammer or axe. IMHO, they are not tools to be used to maintain family discipline, and the father probably crossed that fine line of responsibility.

tb-av
02-15-12, 18:12
He's now claiming the whole detective department is behind him now.

the Police and Child Services paid him a visit and apparently gave him the "good job" pat on the back.

I agree, I don't think he ever indicated any danger towards his daughter, but a .45 with traffic going by in the background and a sledge hammer are two different things.

He's going to need a bigger hat pretty soon.