PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

Headcase650
02-10-12, 11:34
This seems like the most knowledgeable place to ask.

Ive decided to buy an M4 type rifle and Im a firm believer in do it wright the first time to the best of your ability and finances. Ive started to read the info on this forum and am overwhelmed with all the knowledge.

What I am looking for is pretty basic M4 5.56 as close to milspec as possable with a mid length gas system or piston (?), with a floating 10 inch quad rail, no sights just rail from the back of the upper to the gas block. Ad a set of offset back up iron sights and an optic, maybe a flash light on the left side latter. Ive got a budget of $1000 for the rifle. I was looking at the stag model 3, but what I have red so far tells me there are better options. Where would you guys start. Most of the local dealers have stag, bushmaster, Olympic arms, There are a few colts around and some S&W's but they arent set up for what Im looking for and are a few hundred out of my price range.

If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great, links to places to find what Im looking for would be even better. Ive looked at LMT's Colts and spikes but I cant seem to find what Im looking for.

Thanks,

5pins
02-10-12, 11:42
Get a Colt like the 6920, some mags, and ammo. Learn to shoot it and then accessories as needed later.

bsmith_shoot
02-10-12, 11:44
Friend, if your budget is 1k, and you want all that, your not gonna find it easy. If you wanna do it right the first time, save up a few hundred more.
Daniel Defense's M4 series of rifles fit your description, but your looking at 200-400 more than you have.
If your any bit capable with tools, and have average common sense, you might be able to build one for 1200, with no optic.
Sights are a must, and I feel a light and sling are also.
Just my opinion, you might be able to do better though.

wetidlerjr
02-10-12, 11:53
Ive decided to buy an M4 type rifle and Im a firm believer in do it wright the first time to the best of your ability and finances. Ive started to read the info on this forum and am overwhelmed with all the knowledge.
...Where would you guys start. ...
If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great, links to places to find what Im looking for would be even better. Ive looked at LMT's Colts and spikes but I cant seem to find what Im looking for.
Thanks,

A START (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355)

ANOTHER START (https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php)

ANOTHER PLACE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60901)

:D

tdoom15
02-10-12, 11:54
Based on what you want, sounds like a Daniel Defense m4v5 would be right up your alley. If you are diligent, you can find it in the 1120-1170 range, it can come with/with out fixed sights. When I bought my DD, it came with the fixed sights (which I sold to pay for some troy flip ups...magpul might be a cheaper option). Also, some places will work with you on taking off a part and adding another, etc.

I've had good experiences with Rainier Arms, may be a good place to start.

TedG
02-10-12, 12:32
Get a Colt like the 6920, some mags, and ammo. Learn to shoot it and then accessories as needed later.

This is good advice.

Headcase650
02-10-12, 12:57
The 6920 looks great, I just dont want the front sight post. Is this replaceable with a gas block, then ad a 10 or 11 inch floating quad rail?

LTMattyL
02-10-12, 13:11
The 6920 looks great, I just dont want the front sight post. Is this replaceable with a gas block, then ad a 10 or 11 inch floating quad rail?

Down the road, if you feel it necessary, you can shave off the FSP and put a free float rail on it. However, like many on this site, I will highly recommend starting with the basic rifle, shooting the hell out if it, then deciding what you want to add. It will probably save you money in the long run.

5pins
02-10-12, 13:14
Yes it can be replaced later down the road if you want. Try it with the front sight first and see how it works for you. With this set up you can start using the rifle and then determine what works for you and then modify.

Failure2Stop
02-10-12, 13:31
What capability do you want this rifle to bring to you?

with a floating 10 inch quad rail, no sights just rail from the back of the upper to the gas block. Ad a set of offset back up iron sights and an optic, maybe a flash light on the left side latter.

Why do you want a rail?
They are most useful for those that need to mount a bunch of stuff to their guns, and even then there are options that are lighter and more comfortable.

Why do you want offset irons?
They are most useful for 2 groups of shooters:
1- Those that are using magnified optics, especially higher magnification optics that are sub-optimal for close range use.
2- Those that compete in gun games in a division that only permits one optic and need a faster solution for close range work.

If this is to be used for serious applications, I really recommend a fixed front sight, and if it is pinned to the barrel, even better.

MistWolf
02-10-12, 13:35

What I am looking for is pretty basic M4 5.56 as close to milspec as possable with a mid length gas system or piston (?), with a floating 10 inch quad rail, no sights just rail from the back of the upper to the gas block. Ad a set of offset back up iron sights and an optic, maybe a flash light on the left side latter. Ive got a budget of $1000 for the rifle. I was looking at the stag model 3, but what I have red so far tells me there are better options. Where would you guys start. Most of the local dealers have stag, bushmaster, Olympic arms, There are a few colts around and some S&W's but they arent set up for what Im looking for and are a few hundred out of my price range.

Thanks,

All ARs have a piston. The gases enter the cylinder inside the carrier and push the carrier to the rear. The bolt, which fits inside the carrier, is the piston. Note the seal rings. Without those rings, the gases would simply blow by the piston and the rifle will malfunction.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0013.jpg

Why do you need a free float rail? While a free float handguard does help in maintaining consistent accuracy of the AR, rails are do nothing but allow the attachment of accessories. Consider the accessories you will be mounting and ask yourself if you really need to spend $250 or more for all that rail estate. A MOE handguard is roughly $30, lighter and mounting solutions for common accessories like a sling, weapon light and foregrip should be less than $100.

I suggest buying or building a basic carbine, then take it out & shoot it. That way, you will see what changes are needed to make the configuration work for you. Until you actually shoot the rifle, you're spending money on guessing what you want instead of on what you know you want.

My basic carbine started off in this configuration, well under $1000-
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/PSA001.jpg

Here it is after shooting it for a few months and an additional $900 later; $460 for the Aimpoint H1 w/riser & mount, $275 for the Surefire light, $75 for the light mount and $150 for the BC 1.0 compensator-
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/CarbineSurefire003.jpg
Nothing on the rifle that does not serve it's purpose, no parts that need to be replaced. I don't need the BC compensator, but I like it very much. In the future, I may change the handguard to a carbon fiber free float tube but shooting my carbine has let me identify that as something I want rather than need. The leather HK sling in the first picture is what I'm currently using. It works in a pinch but it gets uncomfortable after awhile and I'll be replacing it with a modern design.

By starting with a basic carbine and shooting it to see how well the configuration, I was able to determine what were value adding changes and what was just fluff before spending my money

Headcase650
02-10-12, 14:04
I want the quad rail and offset sights because I tries them on another guys rifle at the range and to me I loved the fact I could go from optics to irons with nothing but the twist of the wrist. A long quad rail is just my way of purchasing for the future. I just dont want to buy a rifle only to strip parts off in exchange for things Ill want in the future. Im surprised its hard to find a good quality rifle with no sights that comes with a 10" or longer quad rail. The 6920 moe looks like a great start....but I know later down the road Ill wind up shaving of the front sight and putting a free float on it. So Ill have a rear sight, hand guard and front grip I dont need.

ASH556
02-10-12, 14:31
I don't think you're that far off base with what you're looking for. Check this out:

Upper
Daniel Defense 16" LW CHF Barrel, 1:7, A2FH (until I get my AAC SDN6) Assembled to Daniel Defense Upper with 14.0 Lite Rail - $499, Smartgunner.com
Danield Defense FA BCG - $124, Smartgunner.com
Daniel Defense Charging Handle - $19, Smartgunner.com, I've replaced the DD CH with a PRI Gasbuster I already had.
KAC Micro BUIS - Hookup through work;), $270 online

Lower
Daniel Defense Stripped Lower - $124, Smartgunner.com
Daniel Defense LPK - $65, Smartgunner.com
LMT SOPMOD Stock Kit (unused) - TOS EE, $185
Noveske QD End Plate - Work, $35 (high I know, but we had it, and most places online are out, plus it was there)

Total as it sits right now: $1321

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DDARLT.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DDARRT2.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DDARACOG.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DDARACOGBW.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/KACMicroFront.jpg

Take off the Sopmod and KAC sights and you're at $951.

Some have not enjoyed their experience with Smartgunner, but it's always just a long wait issue, not a theft or loss of money-type thing. My order shipped no problem. The deal referenced above is gone, but here's what you could do now:

Start with a BCM Cosmetic Blem lower from Grant (site sponsor), and ADD MOE stock and MOE grip - $342

Go to Smartgunner and pull one of their DD uppers with a Troy rail. For instance, 16" Mid-gas, 11" Troy TRX Rail, BCM Gunfighter Mod4 Charging handle, and DD M16 Bolt Carrier Group - $772

You're at $1114 with a top-notch rifle built the way you want it. Add sights and you're good to go.

djmorris
02-10-12, 15:15
Keep reading these forums daily and decide in a month. Trust me.

shua713
02-10-12, 15:57
I am new to the whole ar thing as well and I was looking for a rifle with out the FSB at first, the more I read the more I considered the FSB. I ended up buying a DDM4 V3 and absolutely love it. If you have a high powered optic you cant even see the FSB through the optic. I am running it right now with just iron sights. Buy a quality rifle the first time and you will not regret it

duece71
02-10-12, 16:03
DDM4V5 LW, look at it, buy it, learn it, love it. End of story.

Col_Crocs
02-10-12, 16:44
I want the quad rail and offset sights because I tries them on another guys rifle at the range and to me I loved the fact I could go from optics to irons with nothing but the twist of the wrist. A long quad rail is just my way of purchasing for the future. I just dont want to buy a rifle only to strip parts off in exchange for things Ill want in the future. Im surprised its hard to find a good quality rifle with no sights that comes with a 10" or longer quad rail. The 6920 moe looks like a great start....but I know later down the road Ill wind up shaving of the front sight and putting a free float on it. So Ill have a rear sight, hand guard and front grip I dont need.
I see where youre coming from. Thing is... You might feel a 10inch rail is what you need now but preferences change really fast as you go. I myself was firm on certain things at some point and yet my current config is nowhere near what it was in the past. Some did the opposite in that they went and got all the rails etc only to revert back to a moe handguard and FSB. Hence, the most practical and ideal route is to go get a basic and work off that and change as needed.

Headcase650
02-14-12, 18:28
Keep reading these forums daily and decide in a month. Trust me.

Im a fast reader. I ordered a DD M4V7 LW today.
Found an old box of the ex wifes jewelry. Gold is worth a lot these days. Bonus. lol

pcardinal42
02-14-12, 18:54
Always the same great information for all the new members. I sometimes think that new members should have to read all the stickies in a given forum in order to post in said forum. OP I realize that you may think you know what you want now and maybe it will be but there is a reason that people keep saying Colt 6920. Just think about how easy it would be after a couple of thousands of rounds to shave off that fsb and get a rail.

North Dakota Shooter
02-14-12, 20:36
:haha::haha::haha:
Found an old box of the ex wifes jewelry. Gold is worth a lot these days. Bonus. lol

That is a Win lol

globeguy
02-14-12, 20:53
Good choice, let me know how the rail attached front sight works out for you. Always wondered how well they perform vs FSB.