PDA

View Full Version : noob first AR

overcome
02-10-12, 12:02
my question is after all the research that i have done i settled on a DDM4. then the other day a came accross some reviews that people where having problems with fte's using AE or pmc 223 rounds. is this just related to a "break in period" or is it just dd does not like low quality ammo?

Eric D.
02-10-12, 13:22
Daniel Defense drills smaller gas ports in their rifles. Combine that with low pressure .223 rounds and one may have issues. PMC is known to be underpowered as well. The DDM4 is a great rifle and will function perfectly with 5.56 loads and, assuming proper buffer setup, most .223 loads as well.

overcome
02-10-12, 13:57
thanks for your reply Eric

Meth0d
02-10-12, 14:05
My DDM4V2 LW has gone through 500 or so PMC Bronze .223 without a FTF or FTE. It was the second type of ammunition I put into it after firing 60 rounds of Federal 5.56 to zero it.

shua713
02-10-12, 14:13
I have a DDM4 V3 and i have put a ton of AE 223 with out any problems at all. Have faith in your DD, it is a great gun

porider
02-10-12, 18:38
I don't think there is a break in period with DDs

C2_Drew
02-10-12, 18:50
I don't think there is a break in period with DDs

I don't think there's a break in period for any AR-15 platform rifle. Unless, of course, you're talking about the period it takes to break something in a lower tier rifle, then I would say yes there is a "break in" period.

porider
02-10-12, 18:55
I don't think there's a break in period for any AR-15 platform rifle. Unless, of course, you're talking about the period it takes to break something in a lower tier rifle, then I would say yes there is a "break in" period.

Wait, that's the break-off period your talking about :D
OP, it might have been the lot of ammo you got. Do you have a chrono. Do you have a few XM193, IMI or PPU you can pop off to see if you get the same results?

mini4m3
02-10-12, 19:14

The 'break-in' period that the original poster is questioning is the time it takes for a rifle with a smaller gas port to work with lower power cartridges. I've had a 20'' and 14.5'' midlength BCM that would not shoot TulAmmo/Wolf 55gr until a couple hundred rounds through it with full power 5.56 ammo.

But this isn't to say that it happens with every rifle/carbine.

is this just related to a "break in period" or is it just dd does not like low quality ammo?

See above. It isn't low quality that most likely is the issue its the lower power of the .223 ammo - the gun after all is made to shoot 5.56.

Fidalgoman
02-10-12, 19:23
My first AR was a LEO 6920 which I used as a base to build on. If I could have afforded it then perhaps a Noveske or LaRue. Lots of good stuff out there as well as bad. You have to keep your eyes peeled though since some manufactures ride on their reputation letting quality slide in the end. Others have solid reps that are always good to go.

sinlessorrow
02-10-12, 21:19
Daniel Defense drills smaller gas ports in their rifles. Combine that with low pressure .223 rounds and one may have issues. PMC is known to be underpowered as well. The DDM4 is a great rifle and will function perfectly with 5.56 loads and, assuming proper buffer setup, most .223 loads as well.

odd thing is that PMC bronze .223 is actually weaker than wolf black box:confused:

i use Wolf WPA military classic 62gr HP in my DD MK18 and have no troubles at all and thats with the VLTOR A5 stock

Eric D.
02-10-12, 23:11
That's odd. I've never shot any PMC Bronze, only x-tac and that stuff runs perfectly in my BCM 16" middy with everything from H to H3 buffers. With current prices, I'm tempted to give wolf a try but other than that I have no reason to buy anything other than 5.56 since all my ammo comes from brown santa.

odd thing is that PMC bronze .223 is actually weaker than wolf black box:confused:

i use Wolf WPA military classic 62gr HP in my DD MK18 and have no troubles at all and thats with the VLTOR A5 stock

overcome
02-11-12, 12:43
wow you guys are great....thanks for the response
I did not buy the DD yet (waiting for tax refund) I never heard of a break in period w/ AR's as well, and but in regards to

porider - the pmc or AE 223 round issue is something I saw in another thread on here (could not find it if my life depended on it, came up in a random google search) and on another forum....maybe arfcom (again came up in google search).

Meth0d & mini sounds like you guys used 556 first, that might be the way to go, put a few 100 rounds down range then see what happens. I just hate to use a "see what happens method w/ a 1500 rifle, you know what i mean.

Fidalgoman - i was highly considering Noveske, but that price tag is a little high, but as I have heard before, "buy once, cry once" so i may think about them again, besides it never hurts to have 2 AR's :D

Eric - you said
assuming proper buffer setup, again w/ this being a new world to me are you referring to the buffer spring in the stock? if so wouldn't DD have put the proper one in the rifle? or would a different buffer spring be needed to take the 223 and 556 round? again don't mean to sound stupid guys this world of AR's is all new to me..... thanks again for all your help, y'all great.

Eric D.
02-11-12, 13:23
Hey, we all have to start somewhere.

I'm not talking about the spring, but the buffer; the rattly thing that goes inside the spring. As far as I know, the DDM4 will come with a USGI spring and an H buffer which will more than likely be fine for a variety of ammo. I personally don't like to deviate from USGI springs but different buffer/spring combinations can help an experienced shooter fine-tune their weapon. I wouldn't worry about changing buffers and springs at this point. When you get the rifle, take it out an shoot many different brands of ammo and see how it works.

If you do a search here, there is lots of information on what buffer/spring setups people are running as well as the technical aspects of how those setups affect the weapon's function.

again w/ this being a new world to me are you referring to the buffer spring in the stock? if so wouldn't DD have put the proper one in the rifle? or would a different buffer spring be needed to take the 223 and 556 round? again don't mean to sound stupid guys this world of AR's is all new to me..... thanks again for all your help, y'all great.

overcome
02-11-12, 14:01
thanks Eric, I'm not to worried about changing to much right off the cuff. however i will start some reading like you said about different combos. as of now I'm just going to pick up the one i decide on, some extra mags, and ammo. heck i was even think of just sticking w/ irons for a while (unless one heck of a deal came up on aimpoint, eotech or an acog)

GeorgiaBoy
02-11-12, 14:22
DD drills its gas ports smaller because it is for use with true military spec 5.56. This COULD cause problems with weaker ammo, but I personally haven't had a problem with any ammo.

Some mfg's will sometimes drill the ports too big to allow more consistent results with weaker ammo. This can cause "overgassing" with true 5.56.

overcome
02-11-12, 21:03
GeorgiaBoy - by weaker ammo do you mean under 60grain?

sinlessorrow
02-11-12, 21:16
GeorgiaBoy - by weaker ammo do you mean under 60grain?

no he means .223 ammo, its generally much weaker than 5.56 nato loaded ammo

Quentin
02-12-12, 11:29
No functioning problems using Wolf/Tula and PMC .223 in my DD 16" midlength upper. Lower has a BCM receiver extension kit with H buffer.

Kickin-Ewoks
02-12-12, 13:36
I used a DD barrel on my latest build, it cycles everything but my .223reloads. I loaded the rounds close to minimum charge, so now I know why they don't work. They do work in my other builds.

I hd a hunch that the gas whole in the barrel was smaller but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info guys.

St.Michael
02-12-12, 14:06
Shoot your rifle and enjoy it man

45auto
02-12-12, 14:41
DD drills its gas ports smaller because it is for use with true military spec 5.56. This COULD cause problems with weaker ammo, but I personally haven't had a problem with any ammo.

Some mfg's will sometimes drill the ports too big to allow more consistent results with weaker ammo. This can cause "overgassing" with true 5.56.
+1
Low end ammo = Low end performance. :big_boss:

overcome
02-12-12, 15:14
thank you ST. Michael....should order it by the 21st. then ill just have to find a spot out side the city to shoot
45 auto thats very true, but do to me living in chicago I am unable to order online and can only get what the stores have and most of the time its 223 round or AE 556.....looks like when i go to WI in june ill have to place an order before i leave.