PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a G36

sacmaster
02-10-12, 16:50
Been looking for something thinner than my G19 for IWB carry. Hadn't really thought about the G36, but I held one today and really liked the way it felt. Decided to get it without reading all of the hit or miss reviews until after I bought it.

Took it to the range and shot 100 rounds of Federal ammo through it. I know that isn't much, but it ran fine. No problems so far. I need to run a couple hundred more rounds and some defensive ammo through it before I carry it.

As far as shooting goes, the recoil is significantly more snappy than my G19. That stands to reason. I don't think it feels particularly worse than my full size 1911 though. Seems to shoot a little high and to the right, so I'll have to investigate that further. May just be me anticipating the recoil.

The only negative I have so far is the limited capacity, but I wanted a single stack, so I can't complain there.

Unexpected bonus is that it fits my G19 holsters, while being significantly thinner with a shorter grip.

Voodoo_Man
02-10-12, 16:58
I carried a G36 for three plus years before switching to my g4 g19.

It is a very nice carry gun, small and compact but you need to make sure it is the right fit for you - not physically but overall.

To me the lack of capacity was always an issue in the back of my mind, I carried an extra mag, just in case. The recoil was also an issue for me, and since switching to my g19 I have never been happier.

Though many will say that you should never give up barrel length or capacity for comfort, I like the g19 much more than the g17 and way more than the g36.

Have you ran any drills with it yet? When I switched to my g19 my draw times dropped.

Singlestack Wonder
02-10-12, 17:07
You will get comments on the G36 ranging from bad to good.

I have carried one for years and use it for IDPA. It has functioned flawlessly with everything I have fed it. With the small grip, one must have a good grip to prevent malfunctions due to limp wristing.

I suggest trying one out before purchasing.

Good luck!

G30Mike
02-10-12, 17:20
Congrats on the G36. I actually prefer the G30 myself for capacity.

Nephrology
02-10-12, 17:40
I was tempted by one, went with a G26 instead. They are good guns though, I think the flak they get is somewhat undeserved.