PDA

View Full Version : Just bought myself a glock 23

Endur
02-10-12, 16:51
I am new to glocks and my choice was between a 19 and 23. I could not find any 19's and one 23 at a decent price. Anyway I have been reading on here about the issues with the newer gen 4 models and the extractors on the late gen 3's. From what I can tell it looks one with the bad extractor. It is not a gen 4 though. I was wondering what are good fixes for it and what mods would be good to purchase over time. I will put pics up when I get home as I am with the wife grocery shopping.

djmorris
02-10-12, 17:27
I would have personally purchased the 19 over the 23, but YMMV. Budsgunshop.com has the G19 for $499 shipped. I think you're good to go anyways, but I do recommend a couple (or a few) of the 30 round mags. ;)

LWatson
02-10-12, 17:31
G23 is the perfect all around glock for me. still small enough to carry but big enough and enough capacity for a house gun.

Endur
02-10-12, 17:48
I would have personally purchased the 19 over the 23, but YMMV. Budsgunshop.com has the G19 for $499 shipped. I think you're good to go anyways, but I do recommend a couple (or a few) of the 30 round mags. ;)

The 19 was my first choice but no shop or pawn had them. The only place that had the 19 was academy for almost 600 and it was the gen 4 and I didn't want a gen 4.

Endur
02-10-12, 18:53
Pic of the new glock with my ro and an order from milspec monkey that came in today.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/KungFuHyphy/0210121833a.jpg

Close up
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/KungFuHyphy/0210121833c.jpg

zacii
02-10-12, 19:39
You can always get a 9mm barrel and make it a G19

oldtexan
02-10-12, 19:52
The 19 was my first choice but no shop or pawn had them. The only place that had the 19 was academy for almost 600 and it was the gen 4 and I didn't want a gen 4.

Did you check out GT Distributors in Austin? Assuming that your Ft Hood location means that you are in the Army, you can pick up Glocks at GT for $398.20(with three mags). Just Glocks in Cove usually has them for about $440 IIRC(two mags IIRC).

Endur
02-10-12, 20:06
Did you check out GT Distributors in Austin? Assuming that your Ft Hood location means that you are in the Army, you can pick up Glocks at GT for $398.20(with three mags). Just Glocks in Cove usually has them for about $440 IIRC(two mags IIRC).

I forgot about austin, I called places in temple, belton and everywhere around here and either they didn't have them or wanted 550 or above for them. I called just glocks and they were out of stock and there was a order waiting list. They had them for 475 which was pretty good deal to everyone else around here but seeing as I am about to move I couldn't wait. I got mine for 400 and happy with it until I put a couple hundred rounds through it. I guess it makes up for the gas money I would have to spend driving to austin.

cocojo
02-11-12, 16:06
I hate to say this but looking at the photo, I think you have the mim extractor in that 23. You can tell because the top of the extractor has a dip along the top. I had one in my 23 and I changed the extractor, rod, spring and plunger. Still don't trust it yet, had a lot of malfunctions with it. No problems yet, since I changed everything over. I just carry my 19 it's works all the time. Just keep an eye out for problems.

Endur
02-11-12, 17:26
I hate to say this but looking at the photo, I think you have the mim extractor in that 23. You can tell because the top of the extractor has a dip along the top. I had one in my 23 and I changed the extractor, rod, spring and plunger. Still don't trust it yet, had a lot of malfunctions with it. No problems yet, since I changed everything over. I just carry my 19 it's works all the time. Just keep an eye out for problems.

That is what I thought but from looking at parts shouldn't cost much to fix.

GingerPatches
02-11-12, 17:48
That is what I thought but from looking at parts shouldn't cost much to fix.

Have you even fired it yet? Just because it has a MIM extractor doesn't mean it won't work fine. I'd be willing to bet it will be 100%. Shoot it first before chasing ghosts and needlessly spending money.

BTW, nice 23.

Endur
02-11-12, 18:31
Have you even fired it yet? Just because it has a MIM extractor doesn't mean it won't work fine. I'd be willing to bet it will be 100%. Shoot it first before chasing ghosts and needlessly spending money.

BTW, nice 23.

Definitely smart thing to do, I havn't yet but was going to get like 150-200 rounds on payday and see how it shoots. I was planning on replacing the guide rod & spring to one of those stainless captured ones with a ismi springs. Good reviews on those. And upgrade to a extended mag release and slide stop I believe from vickers, those look like nice upgrades. It has night sights on it so shouldn't have to upgrade those. What are other good upgrades to get?

zibby43
02-11-12, 18:45
Congratulations OP.

I have a G23 as well (Gen3). It is quite possibly my favorite pistol (others I currently own include: G26, M&P 9 FS, Sig P229 .40, HK45C).

The .40 is a bit snappy in terms of muzzle flip but with ample practice, it is very manageable. I shoot so much with the G23 that even when I train with other pistols and then return to the G23, I pick right up where I left off.

Despite my appreciation for the 9mm round's capabilities, I definitely favor the .40.

RagweedZulu
02-11-12, 18:46
Definitely smart thing to do, I havn't yet but was going to get like 150-200 rounds on payday and see how it shoots. I was planning on replacing the guide rod & spring to one of those stainless captured ones with a ismi springs. Good reviews on those. And upgrade to a extended mag release and slide stop I believe from vickers, those look like nice upgrades. It has night sights on it so shouldn't have to upgrade those. What are other good upgrades to get?

Dude, like Ginger said... Don't screw with it! Shoot it first. Glocks are made to be reliable from the factory. Start swapping stuff out for aftermarket parts and you'll start inducing malfs. Just look at what Cocojo said above. Glocks need steel combat sights and NOTHING ELSE.. Trust me, I've been there , bought that and always regretted wasting money on goofy kit to "upgrade" the perfect pistol.

Endur
02-11-12, 18:59
Dude, like Ginger said... Don't screw with it! Shoot it first. Glocks are made to be reliable from the factory. Start swapping stuff out for aftermarket parts and you'll start inducing malfs. Just look at what Cocojo said above. Glocks need steel combat sights and NOTHING ELSE.. Trust me, I've been there , bought that and always regretted wasting money on goofy kit to "upgrade" the perfect pistol.

I didn't say I was changing anything before I shot it. Like my post said I said it has good night sights on it no need to change them. The other upgrades I want are based on making it easier to manipulate for so called "tactical" purposes. I plan on taking it to courses when income and time is right and those changes are almost sure things I know I'll want changed just by tinkering with it now. No gun is perfect by any means. If one was there would be no "improvement" parts to be bought.

Quentin
02-11-12, 19:59

BTW, nice 23.

I bought a 23Gen4 about a year ago and it's run 100% with the MIM extractor. I did take advantage of the Gen 4 RSA trade-in but saw no difference in the new RSA, both operated fine. (As a lot of people I kept both RSAs since I didn't have enough rounds with the new one at the time to give up the first one that I trusted.)

Any way the only change made was an extended slide stop and I bet your Gen 3 runs fine out of the box too.

Endur
02-11-12, 20:15
How do you like the extended slide stop? Worth the money?