PDA

View Full Version : Sig Factory SBR's

Dunderway
02-10-12, 16:54
I know there is not a lot of love for Sig rifles here, but I thought this was pretty interesting. I searched this topic and could only find some of the super high priced Sig SBRs being sold by different dealers a few years ago. This seems to be a new development.

The msrp for these is actually $150-$200 less than the non NFA equivalents.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/551SBR-10in_detail-hero.jpg

http://www.sigsauer.com/Catalog/short-barrel-rifles.aspx

Winnerkd
02-10-12, 17:16
Well, there's a good reason we don't speak too highly about SIG around these parts. Real SIG rifles, the kind that are made in Switzerland are extremely high quality rifles. I know this is cliche, but they are built like tanks and practically bomb proof. The fit and finish is the closest thing to a work of art as a firearm can be. I have had the pleasure to shoot a few dealer sample versions, and they are nice!

Fast forward to today, the only SIG that operates in the United States is Exeter, NH SIG or SIG USA, US SIG, etc. These SIG rifles are NOT even in the same zipcode in terms of quality and finish as the original SIG rifles. Yet, SIG USA insists on marketing them as the second (or perhaps third) coming of the Lord and Savior 550 series rifle to US soil. This rifle is no different. While cosmetically it looks SOMEWHAT alike a SIG 552/3. It's nothing like them, I think the only SIG rifle that comes close (but still falls short) is the West Coast Armory SIG 551.

In short, it's not something I'd consider buying.

SteyrAUG
02-10-12, 17:27
Just curious, are they a 552 or 553 internally? Anyone know?

Dunderway
02-10-12, 17:40
Well, there's a good reason we don't speak too highly about SIG around these parts. Real SIG rifles, the kind that are made in Switzerland are extremely high quality rifles. I know this is cliche, but they are built like tanks and practically bomb proof. The fit and finish is the closest thing to a work of art as a firearm can be. I have had the pleasure to shoot a few dealer sample versions, and they are nice!

Fast forward to today, the only SIG that operates in the United States is Exeter, NH SIG or SIG USA, US SIG, etc. These SIG rifles are NOT even in the same zipcode in terms of quality and finish as the original SIG rifles. Yet, SIG USA insists on marketing them as the second (or perhaps third) coming of the Lord and Savior 550 series rifle to US soil. This rifle is no different. While cosmetically it looks SOMEWHAT alike a SIG 552/3. It's nothing like them, I think the only SIG rifle that comes close (but still falls short) is the West Coast Armory SIG 551.

In short, it's not something I'd consider buying.

I've read quite a bit about them here and understand the reasons for not liking them, and the shortcomings of the USA guns. Like I said, I just thought it was interesting that SBRs are being offered and cheaper (at least stated msrp) than the 16" guns at that.

lloydkristmas
02-10-12, 19:21
Cant speak too highly of their guns, but I do wish more companies would follow suit and offer SBR's as a part of their main line of weapons. Come on FN, HK, etc. Lets get some factory SBR SCAR, PS90, and MR556's please:D

Dunderway
02-10-12, 20:31

What's with the questions? I was waiting for you and Templar to drop some knowledge into this thread.:D

It does look cool. If I had the extra cash lying around I would probably have to get my Miami Vice on.

SteyrAUG
02-10-12, 22:26
What's with the questions? I was waiting for you and Templar to drop some knowledge into this thread.:D

It does look cool. If I had the extra cash lying around I would probably have to get my Miami Vice on.

I don't own any of their US guns so I literally don't know much about this particular SBR.

Dunderway
02-10-12, 22:32
Cool, for some reason I thought you had made some comparisons of the 551a1 vs. the Swiss guns. I couldn't even comprehend your 552 vs. 553 question. It would be cool if Sig USA/Arms stepped up their game on these SBRs though.

JoshNC
02-11-12, 02:26

I believe these are based on the 556 Pistol/Patrol Carbine length gas system. This is a shortened 551 system and is about a half inch longer than the piston of the 553. It is the same diameter as the 550/551/556 gas piston head and not the smaller diameter 552/553 piston head.

I know there is not a lot of love for Sig rifles here, but I thought this was pretty interesting. I searched this topic and could only find some of the super high priced Sig SBRs being sold by different dealers a few years ago. This seems to be a new development.

The msrp for these is actually $150-$200 less than the non NFA equivalents.

Sig Exeter completely soiled the bed with the 556. The only 556s I currently own are a 556 that I SBRd and had converted to full 552 spec with a 552 parts kit and a 556 Pistol that I SBRd. The rest of my 55x rifles are Swiss and I can say that unless Sig Exeter truly gets their act together I won't be buying any more domestically made 55x iterations that are based on the 556.

If you want a 55x SBR, try to find one of the approximately 80 Swiss 552-2 title-1 rifles that Midwest Distributors sold, file a form-1, and remove the faux suppressor.

I couldn't even comprehend your 552 vs. 553 question.

Take a look here:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76374

Sigmax
02-11-12, 09:42
As a ex-Sigophile and a owner of one of those 552's I will be the first to point out about the litany of things that SIG has done to screw up the 556 series. And the company's relative fall from grace has also been well documented.

That said I always give props to a company, even grudgingly, when they release factory sbr's to the public. If you can find someone who will sell you their 552 definitely go for it, but you will only get mine if I am on my death bed. Otherwise if you can get a good deal one of their 551-a1's can be a fun range toy. And at least as effective as some of the HK clones I see people running in competition.

Tokarev
01-01-13, 20:23
Is it the upper or lower that guys are having heartburn with? Is there something wrong with the mag interface on the aluminum part? Couldn't a guy buy one of the Swiss lowers from Colorado Guns Sales and use it instead?

We'd all like to have a real SIG SBR but not maybe can justify the price of the US clone--even before the market insanity--let alone the $6,000 people want for their Swiss guns.

Bret
01-02-13, 18:49
I ordered a Sig556 Classic factory SBR about 2 1/2 months ago. It's about $1300 when all's said and done. I like my Sig556 Classic except for it being so front heavy, so I think I'll enjoy this one. I especially like the fack that they take AR-15 magazines. Hopefully the poo storm that has erupted won't delay my dealer getting it. I'll post a review when I get it.

armakraut
01-03-13, 00:12
Sights are junk. They cut a lot of corners on the upper. Lower receiver is actually the only decent thing about it. I purchased an extremely early production SIG556 and tossed on a new aluminum lower, original furniture and sights. Has a Swiss bolt group, gas block, etc. I'd trust it a lot more than the current production. I'd seriously entertain converting it to a 553 SBR one of these days, but that's going to be way down the road. It's pretty light as is, only 7.5 pounds. Not AR light, but as light as an HK33 or SCAR-L.

You can get real SIG 553 pistols for 3k+ right now.

Like others have said, the any SIG556 is kind of its own weird spec.

A 551-A1 SBR for fun? Sure. For serious use? Lets just say a colt commando and 106ur would be both cheaper and better.

At the risk of Tim giving me a nuclear wedgie, what was the price on these things before tax and transfer?

Bret
01-03-13, 12:23
Lets just say a colt commando and 106ur would be both cheaper and better.
I'll agree with you on the Colt 6933, but the 106UR's have been hit or miss. Arsenal (Nevada) couldn't make mine run reliably and they eventually refunded (most) of my money to me after they put me through the ringer for months.
Mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQVibOQPdk
After being repaired:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpkb_8fYYLY
Someone else's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgb89gLSrNE

JoshNC
01-03-13, 13:08
With Swiss 551-2 PD trade in rifles, 553 rail and now diopter models available, I would just bite the bullet and buy a genuine Swiss model.

The 551 has a barrel extension that can be removed very simply without damage to the barrel once your form-1 is approved. If you want shorter, go with a 553. Rail and diopter 553 models are now available.

I think a Colt factory SBR is a must have item, but so is a genuine Swiss 55x now that they are available.

Tokarev
01-03-13, 14:26
Do you guys have any links or sources for the PD guns and/or the 553 pistols? I see a place on Sturmgeweher with the pistols but they're $4k+ right now.

Tokarev
01-06-13, 08:21
Of course it wouldn't be the best time to attempt such a project but would anyone like to see Magpul produce 550-series magazines? Given the price of the Swiss mags, I think this might be an interesting product. Even before the market insanity these were selling for $40 or so. If Magpul could make a good substitute for $25 I think they'd have a solid market.

96 SS
01-06-13, 08:31
Solid market - maybe.
For a few thousand rifles at most.

The AR market grows by the million each year.

Even the AK market grows by several hundred thousand a year.
Sig mags would have to be several rungs down the ladder.

Sigmax
01-06-13, 12:25
Solid market - maybe.
For a few thousand rifles at most.

The AR market grows by the million each year.

Even the AK market grows by several hundred thousand a year.
Sig mags would have to be several rungs down the ladder.

Maybe domestically, but there are still many international users of the 5xx series platform that I am sure would be interested.

Hell, they make a Pmag for the G36 & that is probably a few hundred a year domestically, you would think it might make financial sense to make a 5XX series Pmag.

Tokarev
01-06-13, 12:43
Hell, they make a Pmag for the G36 & that is probably a few hundred a year domestically, you would think it might make financial sense to make a 5XX series Pmag.

That's my thinking as well.

JoshNC
01-06-13, 21:01
I've been hoping Magpul would make a 55x mag for the last 6 years. Hopefully it will happen one day.

armakraut
01-09-13, 19:56
Heck, you can get 55X mags for less than magpul stuff these days.