PDA

View Full Version : Got a 6720 on the way...

Aaron_B
02-10-12, 17:05
So, while I'm waiting around on my Colt 6933 to get here I decided to get a Colt 6720. Hopefully it will be here in the next couple of days. Only thing I plan adding to it for now is a aimpoint micro, sling, and light. Other than that I already have plenty of mags and ordering a case of ammo. Planning on taking the Tigerswan basic carbine course in July, since it's kind of local to me. Is there any other recommendations that you guys might have? Thanks in advance.

Aaron

G30Mike
02-10-12, 17:15
Congrats on the 6720. I just picked one up the other day myself. Great choice.

rob_s
02-10-12, 18:49
Great! Best thing going in the commercial AR market right now and I don't think you can beat it, especially if it's your first. And glad to hear you already have training scheduled.

The one challenge with these is mounting the sling on the front end. You can thread the rear contact through the slot on the stock, but in the front you're going to have to come up with a way to attach a modern two-point on the side. One way is with a BFG UWL (http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Blue-Force-Gear%C2%AE-Universal-Wire-Loop%E2%84%A2.html).

Good luck!

Aaron_B
02-10-12, 19:17
Thx Rob, just been trying to follow advice on this forum. Doesn't seem like anyone has ever been mislead from the wealth of info around here.

Great! Best thing going in the commercial AR market right now and I don't think you can beat it, especially if it's your first. And glad to hear you already have training scheduled.

The one challenge with these is mounting the sling on the front end. You can thread the rear contact through the slot on the stock, but in the front you're going to have to come up with a way to attach a modern two-point on the side. One way is with a BFG UWL (http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Blue-Force-Gear%C2%AE-Universal-Wire-Loop%E2%84%A2.html).

Good luck!

rob_s
02-10-12, 19:22
Thx Rob, just been trying to follow advice on this forum. Doesn't seem like anyone has ever been mislead from the wealth of info around here.

that's a good point. I can't recall a single "you guys steered me all wrong!" post here, but I can think of dozens of "damnit, I should have listened to you guys!" posts.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-10-12, 21:00
I just traded my old Training rifle in on one of these.

big b
02-10-12, 21:52
Nice!

If I was looking for a new AR in 5.56 the 6720 would probably be it.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Add a good 2pt sling, quality light & mount, and optics/irons and your good to go (since you have ammo and mags). And good on you for getting some training!

ST911
02-11-12, 12:19
Good luck!

The UWL is GTG.

I threw a spare Colt side-mount swivel on mine as a temp fix. Two years ago. :D

SpookyPistolero
02-11-12, 13:17
I just picked up a 6720 myself, and went with the IWC integral QD MOE hand guards. I love that thing. The location is great, and it's very... 'spartan'. Easy win.
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/moe-carbine-hand-guard-mag405-w-qd-micro-mount-n-slot/

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/Spookypistolero/IMG_3281.jpg

TehLlama
02-11-12, 14:45
So, while I'm waiting around on my Colt 6933 to get here I decided to get a Colt 6720...Only thing I plan adding to it for now is a aimpoint micro, sling, and light. Other than that I already have plenty of mags and ordering a case of ammo. Planning on taking the Tigerswan basic carbine course in July

Is there any other recommendations that you guys might have?

Tell others to do the same thing. Thus far looks great!

m4brian
02-11-12, 17:16
http://www.elzetta.com/zfh1500FAQ.htm

Anyone use this? I do like my sling attachment forward, and my light to use in an ambidextrous way.

a0cake
02-11-12, 17:23
http://www.elzetta.com/zfh1500FAQ.htm

Anyone use this? I do like my sling attachment forward, and my light to use in an ambidextrous way.

The problem with a 6 O'clock light is that you have to present a larger profile over cover in order to illuminate your target. For mostly this reason, a 12 O'clock solution is preferred. 11 O'clock and 1 O'clock are the next best things when you can't get a 12 O'clock setup for whatever reason (IR Laser, rail space, magnified optic, etc).

Take a look at this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95251

I don't know if you have a light already or are planning on buying one, but the above setup is really for the X300, which is a great solution.

m4brian
02-11-12, 17:44
Good point - I had thought of that - but don't know how much it would interfere... Most folks have a grip out forward, and they seem to do OK (although the length of this 'obstruction' is a bit more).

The 12 O'Clock position IS best, and I have it on one DD FSP rail on another carbine. I am in the process of obtaining a 6270, and want to keep it simpler, more utilitarian, and 'different'. Your suggestion does look good, but you'd have to get your hands or parts thereof on the FSP, unlike a FSP rail system.

I DO wish the 6750 came with a Colt FSP side-mount sling swivel.

rob_s
02-11-12, 18:21
I DO wish the 6750 came with a Colt FSP side-mount sling swivel.

True Colt 0.625" side-swivels are hard to find. I wouldn't be surprised if even Colt doesn't have any. I had one and foolishly let it go on the 6520 I sold to a guy that probably has no idea what it is and probably isn't even using it.

m4brian
02-11-12, 18:28
True Colt 0.625" side-swivels are hard to find. I wouldn't be surprised if even Colt doesn't have any. I had one and foolishly let it go on the 6520 I sold to a guy that probably has no idea what it is and probably isn't even using it.

Rob - you're a SME - what do you think of the 6 O'Clock setup? I just like the ambi qualities and not having something sticking out the side. Shooting AROUND a barrier can be harder with a side mount.

Aaron_B
02-11-12, 21:54
Yeah I am considering the mossie tactics mount since I do have a surefire x300. As well as, I think I'm going to change the handguards to the moe ones so I can use the IWC sling mount. Or I'll just see if I can drill a hole in the colt handguards.

The problem with a 6 O'clock light is that you have to present a larger profile over cover in order to illuminate your target. For mostly this reason, a 12 O'clock solution is preferred. 11 O'clock and 1 O'clock are the next best things when you can't get a 12 O'clock setup for whatever reason (IR Laser, rail space, magnified optic, etc).

Take a look at this: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95251

I don't know if you have a light already or are planning on buying one, but the above setup is really for the X300, which is a great solution.

rob_s
02-12-12, 06:24
Rob - you're a SME - what do you think of the 6 O'Clock setup? I just like the ambi qualities and not having something sticking out the side. Shooting AROUND a barrier can be harder with a side mount.

I'm no SME, especially when it comes to "night fighting".

I haven't tried one of the FSB 12 o'clock mounts. Without doing so I can't say much except to say that I share the same concerns others have expressed about putting my naked thumb on a hot FSB.

FWIW, I can reach behind the FSB to actuate the X300 from either side and have played with making the ejection-port side my standard side to mount on even though I'm right handed. The reason that I don't is that if I'm shooting around the left side of something and don't do the full shoulder transition, I have to lean out even further in an already unstable position to get the light to clear. I'd rather have to lean further on the strong side where I'm less unstable. If that makes sense.

m4brian
02-12-12, 14:40
I'm no SME, especially when it comes to "night fighting".

Sorry - but you are pretty well-experienced - well thought out opinions.

- I have an FSP rail, and like the X300 mounted fwd at 1200, but even with it as far as I can go, there is just enough clearance to get your thumb on without hitting the FSP. At speed, you'd probably touch it. Gloves of course are not a problem.

- When I do this, my hand is ALL OVER the rail forward and parallel to the FSP. I cannot imagine using the posted mount and getting my hand stable. Just my take.

That is why I think the Elzetta is the best way to go - even if it means a 6 O'Clock obstruction. Also, being able to dismount the light easily, and getting a fwd sling mount are big bennies. I suppose the M4 sling swivel gets pretty hot, but you can use the tailcap activation with more hand support than the other option here.

(I suppose some high speed tape could help).

- On a 6720/carbine setup, 1100 or 1300 are doable, but the shorter length make it more challenging and use up more hanguard room. Not really a problem with the middie, but I'd STILL want a ssyten that would extend the mount forward. My son has a middy with the 11 o'clock and a VTAC mount. This takes up more room, so he has his hand in a 'carbine' position. The Elzetta would also be a good middy rig with a MOE forend. Just some thoughts.

C4IGrant
02-12-12, 14:44
Excellent weapon choice!

C4

Aaron_B
02-12-12, 17:45
So my fiance' wants to buy me something for my birthday coming up. She doesn't want to buy me ammo cause it will not last. Plans are already made to get an aimpoint micro, so don't need money there. And I already have a vltor stock, TD grip, and TD forward grip from my previous mistakes. Have sets of iron sights as well. I was thinking of maybe getting the troy vtac rail. I have used one before and I like the fact of being able to extend my arm out, plus it would eliminate the problem of where to mount a sling and light. Any suggestions or comments?

Aaron_B
02-14-12, 17:26
Scratch previous post post convinced her to buy me a case of ammo. Now I just need to get back to NC to go pick up everything.

Casull
02-14-12, 21:32
Having toted one around all over the place in the past, I gotta say it's truly top notch and a great choice. I really want one for myself.