PDA

View Full Version : DSA FAL: Long or Short gas system?

RAM Engineer
12-20-07, 21:34
I see that DSA's 16" FAL carbines come with either a short or long gas system. Which is preferred for reliability, durability and weight/balance?

Thanks,

Jason

TOrrock
12-20-07, 21:42
Go with the standard long gas system. It works, it's been proven, and it takes standard parts.

GastonG-NoVa
12-20-07, 21:56
+1 on the long system, but I think the short system with a fluted barrel has the "CDI" factor BIG TIME.

The long system has been working for a long time.

Buck
12-21-07, 00:30
Go with the standard long gas system. It works, it's been proven, and it takes standard parts.

What he said...

bspring
12-21-07, 14:11
Really makes no difference, both work fine. STG-58 utilizes the short, most everything else uses the long style.

Bill

TOrrock
12-21-07, 14:48
Really makes no difference, both work fine. STG-58 utilizes the short, most everything else uses the long style.

Bill

Bill, I think he's asking about the short length piston version vs. the standard length gas piston version, not the length of the gas tube, which you're correct, really makes no difference.

RAM Engineer
12-22-07, 11:20
I guess my ignorance of FAL's goes deeper than I thought. I was looking at the following two guns:

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SA58C

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SA58TAC

They are both 16" guns, but the first gun has what I would call a "longer" gas system. My terminology is probably wrong.

My frame of reference is the DI AR platform, where barrel length and gas system length are related. Is this not the case with piston guns like the FAL? I can see how the "longer" system would take standard FAL parts, but does the lack of barrel length forward of the gas regulator affect functioning?

Thanks for educating me!

Jason

TOrrock
12-22-07, 15:10
Personally, I'd go with an 18" barrel on a FAL carbine, but if you're going to go with the 16.5", I'd still stick with the standard length gas system that is on the rifle in your first link.

It's the same one that they've been using for 50 years, it works, parts are available all over, there really isn't a good enough reason that I've heard to go with the DSA short gas system.