PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Handgun

Bigkrackers
02-10-12, 22:46
I was looking at some basic AR classes that I could take and there is really only one good place that I could find up here in MN. A far cry from when I was in AZ and you could find a good class for anything every weekend.

Anyway, all of the carbine classes also train with handguns but they all specify tactical handguns. Now I know the word tactical is used a lot and is pretty diluted but the place up here is a certified Vickers training facility so I would imagine that word holds actual meaning.

So, I'm quite certain I do not own a tactical pistol and that I will need to get one in order to take a Larry Vickers carbine class. Which means this might take longer that I had hoped but it is what it is. I do not own Glocks, HKs and sold my Sig a while ago.

So when a description in a class calls for a tactical handgun are they talking about one of the above manufactures? Are there others that would fall into the tactical category as it relates to these advanced carbine classes?

I have never really liked Glocks but I guess I could learn to shoot them. I hate the grip. HK's are not really in my price range and I would rather not get a Sig again.

I have been reading a lot about Glock's issues with the late Gen3 and Gen4 guns which has me a bit concerned about getting one. I have been looking for police trades at Bud's and other online stores. Thought maybe a used 17 or 19 would work for my purpose.

I'm I on the right track with looking at used Glocks or are the new ones really okay and it's just some anomalies in quality that are popping up?

Any other brands I could consider?

Thanks for your time.

ps - I did use the search button but could not find my answer to this specific question. Apologies if I missed it.

lethal dose
02-10-12, 22:58
Get an early gen 3 if you want a rail and do a grip reduction... OR snag a gen 2. Aim surplus has .40 varients dirt cheap right now. Personally, I'm a 9mm man, but the price is right. What price range were you looking at? The gen2 and 3 g19 are the best carry/fighting pistols, respectively (imho).

CumbiaDude
02-10-12, 23:07
If I were you, I'd contact the people giving the class and ask them what is unacceptable :confused:

Like you say, the word "tactical" is pretty meaningless. My tactics aren't dictated by what shape the metal and plastic in my hand is....

rackham1
02-10-12, 23:09
Also take a look at M&Ps from S&W since you're not crazy about Glocks. I think most would agree they fall into that category.

Bigkrackers
02-10-12, 23:16
I just dumped my .40's so that won't work. I slimmed down to just 9mm and .45 in my autos and would like a 9mm as I don't reload.

For a used Glock I'd want to stay under $400 and $350 would be even better especially considering any smith work, after market parts, extra mags and holster. I know the 19's are more expensive and harder to find than the 17's but even 17's are getting hard to find around here.

So, the Internet is correct that Glock shot itself in the leg with the Gen4? Well, can't be perfect all the time I guess.

If Big G is the way to go then I'll put the word out to a few of my local shops that I'm looking for a deal.

Thanks for the input.

Bigkrackers
02-10-12, 23:22
If I were you, I'd contact the people giving the class and ask them what is unacceptable

I did give them a call and left a vm and also e-mailed them with that question. I hope to hear back from them.

CumbiaDude
02-11-12, 00:56
I did give them a call and left a vm and also e-mailed them with that question. I hope to hear back from them.Sounds good. My personal feeling is a Glock 19 would both serve you well and meet their requirements (whatever they mean...), but the only way to be sure is for them to tell you what they meant.

Hope you hear from them quickly :)

stmcelroy
02-11-12, 01:06
You're probably over thinking this.

What do you have now?

Pax
02-11-12, 01:31
Nothing irrevocably wrong with a new production Gen 3. My last two Glocks have been new production Gen 3s because even though the MIM extractor can induce malfunctions, these issues are at least consistent, understood and easily fixable. Spend a few bucks on a LWD Extractor, wait patiently for it to arrive and your gun will get the job done just fine. Alternatively you can try sanding down the MIM extractor if its fit with the slide is the issue. Only other modifications I consider necessary to a stock Glock are metal sights of your choice and a stainless steel recoil spring guide rod. NY Trigger Spring maybe.

All of that gives you a very respectable handgun at a very reasonable price. $800ish all together.

Do give M&Ps a try if you really cant stand Glocks. Handle one at least, test fire it if you can. Just know that they have their respective issues like everything else.

skyugo
02-11-12, 02:09
definitely check out m&p's. that's one of my favorite pistols right now. I own a glock 19, but i think the smiths are sweet.

that said, a glock is pretty hard to beat, you could just look for pre-2010 production models if you're worried about the new extractors. my 08 glock runs like a top.

Bluedreaux
02-11-12, 02:27
If I read "tactical pistol" I would think "don't be like the jack wagon last week who showed up with a Rohm wheel gun".

Any modern, reliable semi-automatic should be fine. Especially for a carbine class.

DoctorTran
02-11-12, 03:06
Show up with a Hi-Point and see what they do!

Seriously though, I'd just wait on a response from them. I'm sure it just means something along the lines of a modern pistol, possibly with rails.

RogerinTPA
02-11-12, 07:02
If I read "tactical pistol" I would think "don't be like the jack wagon last week who showed up with a Rohm wheel gun".

Any modern, reliable semi-automatic should be fine. Especially for a carbine class.

Agreed.

To the OP, also read it as a reliable pistol (M&P, Glock, HK, Beretta 92, 1911, etc...), and not some Hi-Point type pistol that may explode in your face or become a jammamatic. You would be surprised at what some people will bring to a pistol or carbine course, (****ed up hunting scopes, cheap knockoff RDSs, etc...) while the rest of us are scratching are heads going, WTF was he thinking?

wahoo95
02-11-12, 07:09
Show up with a Hi-Point and see what they do!

Seriously though, I'd just wait on a response from them. I'm sure it just means something along the lines of a modern pistol, possibly with rails.

Took a class with a Hi Point 9mm once just for the hell of it. Got plenty of laughs for sure. The pistol functioned flawlessly, however mag changes were frequent and slow due to its design.

That said, I did it for fun but would recommend people stick to any of the more popular modern semi autos it even revolvers if you are old school.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nephrology
02-11-12, 07:27
Glock is fine. M&P if you really don't want one.

R0CKETMAN
02-11-12, 08:29
G17 3rd gen or G21sf

Now if you're willing to make the commitment and take "ownership" in it, then 1911 such as SA TRP

Each will serve you well.

DocGKR
02-11-12, 09:39
I don't know what a "Tactical Handgun" is...however, for a class you would want to take a reliable handgun that goes bang every time you pull the trigger for several hundred consecutive rounds without any maintenance. If you are issued a handgun or carry one for CCW, use that. Typically you can find 9mm pistols from Glock, M&P, HK, Sig, Beretta that will all work acceptably, however, each of these brands has had issues over the years that you may have to work around. The safest bet would be a 3rd gen 9 mm Glock produced prior to mid-2010. As I noted in another thread, it is our experience that prior to mid-2010, almost all 9 mm Glocks were good to go right out of the box; since mid-2010, both gen 3 and gen 4 9 mm Glocks became problematic and inconsistent in their reliability--some work, some don't. Personally, I'd look for a used gen 3 G19 produced prior to mid-2010. If you get a new, current production 3rd or 4th gen 9 mm Glock, I would NOT trust it for serious work until at least 3000 rounds had been fired without any malfunctions. For a new pistol, my first choice would be an M&P9, followed by an HK P30; again, keep in mind that these have their own quirks that may need to be resolved.