PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback on SS 5R Barrels for LMT .308 MWS

Tzoid
02-11-12, 00:41
I own a LMT .308 MWS with the 16" CL 1.10 twist barrel and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a SS 5R barrel. I had a 20" on order but the deal went south so I'm open for suggestions. 18" OR 20" ? I'm sticking to .308 ( 7.62x51 ). My range only goes out to 200 yards but another member here has a 500 yard range and has offered to take me so I plan to shoot at least to 500 yards on occasion

Any 1st hand or otherwise is appreciated :smile:

d90king
02-11-12, 02:58
For your ranges 18" is more than enough. If I was going to be doing a lot of work from 1k, then the 20" might offer some help. With the 18" you will get the longer gas and a barrel that will easily take you to 1k with the right load.

FALbert
02-11-12, 05:03
If I can do one or the other, I'd get 18" since I have no access to anything beyond 400 yards. My only gripe is the price on these SS 5R barrels is expensive. But I'm sure these will shoot well once you find the sweet spot for your hand loads. I wouldn't count on off the shelf surplus ball ammo.

On a side note when is LMT ever going to release the 18" chrome lined barrels? I want one of each! :dance3:

Tzoid
02-11-12, 09:07
Thanks for the replies... I guess the order I placed for the 20" 5R barrel falling through was a blessing in disguise. The barrels for the LMT MWS are pricey but overall I feel the gun stands up to any and out performs most in it's category.

Tzoid
02-11-12, 09:17
Oh ....I almost forgot. Does anyone have a trusted source that is reasonable and has stock?

RD62
02-11-12, 10:01
Contact Trident.

He has a contact at LMT that may be able to help you.

My trusted sources are out of stock.

Dirtyboy333
02-11-12, 10:04
My 16" CL already shoots like a laser beam (sub MOA with hand loads) but I went ahead and ordered the 18" anyway. I really wanted the longer gas system. I have not shot the 18" yet because of a little hiccup but i suspect it will be even more accurate then the 16". I will be shooting at 1k as well (God willing).

Check out Tridents videos on youtube. He's shooting 1k with no problem with the standard 16" CL. It's amazing!!!

Tzoid
02-11-12, 11:05
Thanks guys... I watched Tridents vids and read all the threads. I actually called my local LMT dealer where I bought the gun and he is a Premier dealer and the price he quoted is outstanding. I'm heading over to hand him cash to get it ordered.

I have decided to go with the 18"

Now I'll drift my own thread... Does anyone have a source for the Tactical Operations Drag Bags? Any equals to this Bag?

d90king
02-11-12, 15:50
Thanks guys... I watched Tridents vids and read all the threads. I actually called my local LMT dealer where I bought the gun and he is a Premier dealer and the price he quoted is outstanding. I'm heading over to hand him cash to get it ordered.

I have decided to go with the 18"

Now I'll drift my own thread... Does anyone have a source for the Tactical Operations Drag Bags? Any equals to this Bag?

I would check out Triad Tactical for bags and Storm Tactical for books.

I think you will like both the gas system, and portability of the 18". Congrats.

Look forward to shooting with you. :cool: It will be nice to have someone to push me... You up for a long range/Battle Rifle class? I plan on taking a couple with John McPhee (Shrek) this year, we are working on getting his to Pa for a class which will be through Grey Group. Top notch dude with the bio to back it up.

He also instructs with Northern Red who is another outstanding outfit with a cadre of instructors that is as impressive as I have seen under one brand.

I was hoping to take F2S class but I don't think I can make it happen because of conflicts...

Tzoid
02-11-12, 16:10
Roger That....

One of my best friends has a MWS as well and he's ready to do some longer distance shooting. When my barrel arrive I will call you .

ALCOAR
02-11-12, 16:29
My 16" CL already shoots like a laser beam (sub MOA with hand loads) but I went ahead and ordered the 18" anyway. I really wanted the longer gas system. I have not shot the 18" yet because of a little hiccup but i suspect it will be even more accurate then the 16". I will be shooting at 1k as well (God willing).

Check out Tridents videos on youtube. He's shooting 1k with no problem with the standard 16" CL. It's amazing!!!

Thanks for the nod brother....can't wait to see you join the 1k club, it's only a matter of time since you and your MWS are more than capable of the feat:)

Thanks for the replies... I guess the order I placed for the 20" 5R barrel falling through was a blessing in disguise. The barrels for the LMT MWS are pricey but overall I feel the gun stands up to any and out performs most in it's category.

Congrat's on ordering some fine china...I don't own any of the 5R SS MWS options yet, however I do own the 5R SS 5.56 16" and 18" options for my stretch MRPs. Truly amazing barrels!

You and D90 should have blast shooting together, having a shooting pal to push you and serve as a second set of eyes is really such an advantage in the LR arena.

Usafmaddog
08-10-13, 11:34
Where can I find LMT MWS 308 SS barrel now? Ideas?

rdbse
08-16-13, 17:06
Where can I find LMT MWS 308 SS barrel now? Ideas?

Check DSG Arms and King Optics. They recently had some in stock.

Dirtyboy333
08-17-13, 00:43
Yeah but if you buy from DSG make sure you don't get the old beat up 18" with a chewed throat they've were trying to pawn off on people. I returned it the 1st time and waited 3 months for "new barrel" and They sent the same barrel back to me twice. Even had the same shipping label covered with tape. $700 barrel with a badly chewed up throat, rust spots throughout the bore and the exterior looked like it had just came back from a deployment.

I used to purchase from DSG weekly and I never experienced anything other than exceptional service. This left a very bad taste in my mouth but I would stil probably purchase from them if I needed to.

George Mac
08-19-13, 00:13
I ordered an 18" Stainless for my LMT from DSG just last week when I got the "in stock" email notification. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not a bad apple. Thanks for the heads up.

Dirtyboy333
08-19-13, 06:33
Hey no problem. I think it's been about a year and a half or so so I doubt it will be the same barrel. I just remembered. After dealing with DSG and getting the same barrel sent back to me a couple times I ended up sending that barrel back to LMT who replaced it for me. So unless they sent it back to DSG I think you'll be okay. :) I completely forgot that ultimately I had to send it back to LMT to resolve the issue. Which they did. So yeah I'm sure you're safe.

George Mac
08-19-13, 08:08
That's good to know. Since you got a minty fresh one from LMT, how's it shoot?

Dirtyboy333
08-20-13, 07:30
That's good to know. Since you got a minty fresh one from LMT, how's it shoot?
Well, I'm not quite ready to make a determination yet. But, my first time out with it it shot amazingly well. They were reloads with Varget and 168 grain SMK's. I actually shot the best group I have ever shot with this gun on the first outing with my stainless barrel. Considering my CL barrel shoots like a laser that means a lot. I was very pumped after my first outing with my SS. Since then, it has been total disappointment. I have not had the chance to shoot SMK's again. I'm not ready to chalk it up to the barrel because it could easily be my reloading technique, shooting technique or any other variable. I'm Planning on buying some FGMM to get a baseline and eliminate any errors in my reloading routine Even though when reloading for my CL barrel I had no problems keeping it extremely consistent. I'm expecting it to shoot FGMM very well And if it does not I think I will be switching back to my CL barrel.