PDA

View Full Version : Robinson XCR

Mooneys
06-08-06, 20:57
Any comments on the XCR? I just purchased a bunch these and am hopefull they will be a quality weapon and a good seller

Welcome to Mooneys Firearms LLC

Picks below are with Leupold M4, TD Bipod and Knights Battle Grip all are Optional.

Additionally, Robinson will be offering a stock adapter which will allow the installation of most M4 buttstocks which use the standatd M4 buttstock tube.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mooneys/Robinson%20Arms/DSCN15862.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mooneys/Robinson%20Arms/DSCN15892.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mooneys/Robinson%20Arms/DSCN15902.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mooneys/Robinson%20Arms/DSCN15952.jpg[/SIZE]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mooneys/Robinson%20Arms/XCR-L20CQC20RS20copy2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mooneys/Robinson%20Arms/XCR-L20CQC20LS20copy2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/mooneys/Robinson%20Arms/XCR201420RS2.jpg

Aubrey
06-08-06, 21:50
From John Farnam
http://www.defense-training.com/quips/03May06.html

03May06
RA/XCR
Robinson Arms' XCR modular, military rifle has been in the works for several years now. I finally have my hands on my own copy, and it is beautiful!
We'll be shooting it this weekend, but here are initial impressions:
The rifle comes with a slick, folding stock and functional, flash suppressor. Barrel and chamber are chrome lined. Chamber is NATO spec. T wist rate is 1:9, just the way I like it.
The rifle itself is gas-piston operated, but light and handy. It takes M-1 6 magazines. The gas system is adjustable, similar to that of an FAL.
The manual safety lever is similar both in location and design to that of a n AR-14, but it rotates through only sixty degrees, rather than ninety. Thos e with small hands will really appreciate this feature.
While in register, the trigger finger does not come to rest on the magazine-release button, as is the case with the AR-15.
Trigger breaks at a crisp eight pounds, and the reset snaps in abruptly and
unmistakably. The bolt handle is on the left side and also functions as a forward-assist, a feature I've been personally lobbying for.
Disassembly is reminiscent of a Kalashnikov. Slick and logical, and it can't be put back together wrong. No tiny, easy to lose, parts. Bolt catc h is ambidextrous and eminently useable.
My first impressions are all positive. This is a well-designed, light, short, handy, user-friendly rifle, designed for serious purposes and heavy use. Alex Robinson has emerged as a genuine design genius, and he deserves a lot of credit for devoting himself and his company to this project and seeing it through to completion. It was worth the wait!
Alex Robinson Robinson Arms PO Bx 16776 Salt Lake City, UT 84116 801 355 0401 801 355 0402 (Fax) _alex@robarm.com_ (mailto:alex@robarm.com) /John

TigerStripe
06-09-06, 02:18
I wouldn't mind having one. Personally I'd want a 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel and a fixed stock, but it looks like a nice weapon. What is the going price on these?

TS

Sweep
06-09-06, 05:25
got to fire one memorial day weekend both from the ground and air ..that said How much ? and whats the turn around time :cool:

Mooneys
06-09-06, 10:14
got to fire one memorial day weekend both from the ground and air ..that said How much ? and whats the turn around time :cool:

Pricing on the XCR will be ~1,400 with anticipated deliver to me in July. I got my fingers crossed.

TigerStripe
06-12-06, 01:00
The top two appear to have 14.5" barrels, is that an experimental model/ prototype or will they be available later?

TS

Sweep
06-12-06, 06:38
nice price ! let me know when they arrive i will start stashin cash :D

VA_Dinger
06-12-06, 11:10
I would be very interested in buying one. Please contact me whenthey arrive. What barrel length did you order? How much are spare barrels?

MAUSER88
06-12-06, 13:29
After all the problems I've had with my M96 I won't be buying another Robinson product. Customer service was awful too.

mr h
06-12-06, 15:37
what is your opinion on the heigth of the iron sights? the one i handled at the SHOT SHow seemed like the sights set up to high when i rested my check on the folding stock. it reminded my of the galil i once owned.

Mooneys
06-12-06, 17:02
what is your opinion on the heigth of the iron sights? the one i handled at the SHOT SHow seemed like the sights set up to high when i rested my check on the folding stock. it reminded my of the galil i once owned.

Like you I only handled the one at SHOT. I didn't notice that the sights were high but I really didn't dig into it either :rolleyes:

Mooneys
06-12-06, 17:05
After all the problems I've had with my M96 I won't be buying another Robinson product. Customer service was awful too.

I hope that's not the case but I did hear similar comments. My experience with Robinson is very neutral at this point as this is my first go around. I'm looking forward to a pleasurable experience :D

Mooneys
06-12-06, 17:09
The top two appear to have 14.5" barrels, is that an experimental model/ prototype or will they be available later?

TS

The top two are SBR's and are available for order through a class III dealer. The lower pic is the 16.02" and is what I have ordered

Gubbins
06-12-06, 18:26
I'd CONSIDER an XCR but have to ask...when will they be in your hands to ship to us?
This rifle has been delayed and delayed with numerous "almost ready to ship" promises on their website. I spoke to Alex Robinson at a December 2004(!) gun show and, while he seems bright, honest and personable I have to wonder about his company's development capabilities. I can understand supplier problems but then in this case you don't advertise what you don't have...and that's what they've been doing. Nothing alienates a customer more than seeing an ad for a product and then being told that they're not being shipped or "next month".
As to the rifle itself, it looks promising and certainly has some innovations that I'd like but if it's going to be a headache (or trouble-prone like I heard some M96s were) then I'm going for a SIG 556.

Mooneys
06-12-06, 20:22
I'd CONSIDER an XCR but have to ask...when will they be in your hands to ship to us?
This rifle has been delayed and delayed with numerous "almost ready to ship" promises on their website. I spoke to Alex Robinson at a December 2004(!) gun show and, while he seems bright, honest and personable I have to wonder about his company's development capabilities. I can understand supplier problems but then in this case you don't advertise what you don't have...and that's what they've been doing. Nothing alienates a customer more than seeing an ad for a product and then being told that they're not being shipped or "next month".
As to the rifle itself, it looks promising and certainly has some innovations that I'd like but if it's going to be a headache (or trouble-prone like I heard some M96s were) then I'm going for a SIG 556.

Gubbins, Not having prior experience with Robinson I have no formed opinion. I did place my order with Ty and was told they already began shipping and that I would have a partial order of 3 - 5 sometime in July...2006 :D until then I will be expecting some XCR's in July.

As far as the SIG 556, I have them on order as well but if like other items I ordered as SHOT and never seen yet I'm not holding my breath that I will see them this year.

C4IGrant
06-13-06, 08:14
Gubbins, Not having prior experience with Robinson I have no formed opinion. I did place my order with Ty and was told they already began shipping and that I would have a partial order of 3 - 5 sometime in July...2006 :D until then I will be expecting some XCR's in July.

As far as the SIG 556, I have them on order as well but if like other items I ordered as SHOT and never seen yet I'm not holding my breath that I will see them this year.

I know that they are shipping these as people have them.

C4

dctag
06-13-06, 10:29
I saw my first one at a store about 6 weeks ago. So they have definitely started shipping. How fast? Who knows but at least they are finally headed out.

-David

TigerStripe
06-13-06, 11:01
I saw my first one at a store about 6 weeks ago. So they have definitely started shipping. How fast? Who knows but at least they are finally headed out.

-David

I know that they are shipping these as people have them.

C4

SIG 556's or XCR's?

TS

dctag
06-13-06, 12:01
XCR's have been shipping. We all wish that the Sigs were out already.

-David

C4IGrant
06-13-06, 13:47
SIG 556's or XCR's?

TS

XCR.

C4

Gubbins
06-13-06, 16:41

Fair enough, thanks. Now I know a good place to order my SIG too(!)

Manx
06-27-06, 16:03
Alex gave me the tour of the XCR at SHOT and I was favorably impressed with the design, ergonomics and quality of the weapon. (I always like the M96s too.) I haven't shot the XCR yet, but I find it to be an interesting alternative to the ARs (I already have a half-dozen ARs.) I was thinking about getting a piston AR, but now I may be inclined to pick up an XCR instead. I hope to read some positive reviews from the new owners.

TigerStripe
07-04-06, 23:07
Any other information about the XCR? Anyone else gotten one, range reports, etc???

TS

Pierced Armor
07-17-06, 01:28
Mooney's

Give us all a full report once you get the XCRs in hand. When I saw the XCR at Shot 06 I really wanted one and than I saw the SIG booth.
Deffinetly torn between the two for now. Kind of leaning towards the SIG right now, since I know exactly where I stand with them.
Look forward to the range reports coming in soon.

Safe & Happy Shooting

Nitrox
07-17-06, 12:00
The XCR is basically a modified FNC. I shot an early version but wasn't nearly as enamored by it as Alex Robinson was. While it is nice to have variety I doubt I will buy one. There are just not enough pros to outweigh the cons.

MadDog
08-08-06, 09:21
Took my XCR out yesterday to try it with my AAC Ranger can. With the gas setting on 1 (settings are from 1 to 4 with 1 being for the highest pressure ammo and 4 the least) it truely felt like a Ruger 10/22. Even though there is very little recoil with most ammo it was greatly deminished with the suppressor. I only have 800 rounds through it so far but it is fast becoming my favorite. On the down side, the top rail sits much higher than any of my AR's. I had to mount my Aimpoint without a spacer to get a good cheek weld but it is much more comfortable than anything else I have. If you use a spacer so the Aimpoint will cowitness with the BUIS you don't get a cheek weld. You get more like a "chin weld". I am going to have a problem finding a set of BUIS since the Aimpoint now sits so low. I tried my Troys and they are way too high for the ML3 set as low as it is now on the rail. I have heard the HK416's sit much lower than any other BUIS and have seen pictures of them cowitnessed with a TriPower on the XCR. I will give them a try and report back.

The trigger truely sucks. It is supposed to be a two stage but you can hardly tell the difference between the first and second stages. The pull is also very heavy. On the plus side, the pull is very smooth, just heavy. I am going to try a JP Yellow spring kit in it. The only spring you can actually use is the hammer spring, all other springs don't appear to be interchangable. I talked with Alex Robinson last week and he said he is working with a company to come out with a spring upgrade kit.

The barrel changes out in about 30 seconds. I purchased the XCR because I wanted a multi-caliber piston upper, so I will get the 6.8 barrel and bolt when they are available. The bolt and extractor are massive and should hold up quite well. Breakdown for cleaning is simple. Just flip a latch, tilt the upper open, point the barrel up and let gravity do the rest. The internals just fall out into your hand. Reassembly is just as easy. Even though I have only shot 800 rounds so far, the bolt & carrier, operating rod, and piston are very clean.

Here are a couple of pictures I took the other day.

MadDog :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SuppressedXCR005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SuppressedXCR003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SuppressedXCR008.jpg

Stephen_H
08-08-06, 23:24
Took my XCR out yesterday to try it with my AAC Ranger can....

I'm glad to see more info trickling out about these rifles. I'll probably wait on the FN SCAR to be released for civilian sales, but its nice to see that the XCR is finally out there. It sounds as though you've talked with the folks at Robinson; is there an info on their 6.8mm conversion release?

Stephen

MadDog
08-09-06, 07:17
Stephen, I talked to Alex about the release of the 6.8 barrel and bolt as well as the release of a flutted heavy profile 5.56 barrel for suppressor use (less POI shift with and without a can) but I have a very bad memory. One will be released in 6 to 8 weeks and the other will be released in 10 to 12 weeks. I can't remember which.

MadDog :confused:

Mooneys
08-15-06, 18:57
I was expecting a partial shippment of XCR's and Vepers in July. Nothing yet but hopefully soon. I plan on calling this week for an update.

T

Mooneys
08-23-06, 10:42
The XCR's will be arriving on August 30th :D

You can see them here http://stores.mooneysfirearms.com/Categories.bok?category=XCR+%2F+VEPR

RJG
08-23-06, 13:04
I purchased a new XCR 3 weeks ago from a local retailer. He had three in stock but they all sold very quickly. I am using Troy BUIS and for me they work pretty well. I had it to the range for 100 rounds shooting federal red box 55gr fmj. Overall impressions are excellent and I found it to be very accurate and experienced no malfunctions. Only the issue is that the trigger is rough and heavy and sometimes slightly inconsistent. I notified Robinson and he said that mine is likely to be one of early batch with the known problem on the hammer. They will replace the parts no charge. The troy BUIS were nearly right on out of the box. Only a slight elevation adjustment on the front sight was required.

I know that 100 rounds is not any basis for full evaluation but so far I am very pleased. It was pretty clean internally after shooting.
Regards,
RJG

Mooneys
08-24-06, 08:37
I purchased a new XCR 3 weeks ago from a local retailer. He had three in stock but they all sold very quickly. I am using Troy BUIS and for me they work pretty well. I had it to the range for 100 rounds shooting federal red box 55gr fmj. Overall impressions are excellent and I found it to be very accurate and experienced no malfunctions. Only the issue is that the trigger is rough and heavy and sometimes slightly inconsistent. I notified Robinson and he said that mine is likely to be one of early batch with the known problem on the hammer. They will replace the parts no charge. The troy BUIS were nearly right on out of the box. Only a slight elevation adjustment on the front sight was required.

I know that 100 rounds is not any basis for full evaluation but so far I am very pleased. It was pretty clean internally after shooting.
Regards,
RJG

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good info.

Mooneys
09-04-06, 17:44
Here are a few pics

Mooneys
10-09-06, 18:18
For thoes interested October's edition of SWAT Magazine has a good write up on the XCR. I'll scan and post back here.

C4IGrant
10-10-06, 09:06
For thoes interested October's edition of SWAT Magazine has a good write up on the XCR. I'll scan and post back here.

I read the article. I thought it was pretty good, but wanted to see some groups fired with diff. types of ammo a see the author experiment more with the different gas settings.

C4

Mooneys
01-08-07, 18:30
Can we order as a factory SBR?

Sorry for the late response...Not getting notifications.

I believe but not positive Robinson will deliver a regestered SBR. Being that I just received my SOT I'll be hitting them up with this type of question.

I'll post back soon.

T

deadwood83
01-08-07, 21:57
I will be very suprised if they don't ship SBR's. He pretty much loves all things NFA. (at least he used to) And for customer service, it's like asking help from a mirror kinda. Your attitude is returned to you so as long as you are curteous and polite all should well.

It's no side-effect of engineering that the XCR stays so clean. All the videos and the dry-environment testing was done a few miles from where the politicos wanted to store the nuclear waste (conditions there can closely resemble those in Iraq see dust and fine sand.) In order to survive out there for days without cleaning it has to be very clean naturally.

The delays were actually the finisher's fault. So finisher's were switched and now production is actually lower than it could have been with the previous finisher.

Overall it's a nice little rifle. Very pricey but if you have the 1400 lying around, go for it.

Batt 57
01-09-07, 08:24
This is a gun I am very interested in. I will spending some time playing with it at the SHOT show.

Mooneys
01-15-07, 22:10
Can we order as a factory SBR?

Update; I talked to the folks at Robinson and they will be offering the XCR / SBR in about 6 months...give or take a few ;)

MadDog
01-19-07, 07:44
duplicate

MadDog
01-19-07, 07:47
Just got my M4 stock adaptor from RA and installed it with a Magpul CTR. If you are going to run a single point sling you need to also purchase RA's sling plate adaptor as the back of the receiver is completely different in shape than AR end plates. The folding stock that comes with the XCR is great but I like the option of changing the LOP depending on what I am wearing (heavy coat, vest, etc) at the time. The adaptor and end plate was $49 if I remember correctly.

MadDog :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/MagpulXCR009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/MagpulXCR001.jpg

coffinman
01-28-07, 23:23
very nice....

Seth Harness
02-01-07, 17:57
Like it uhlot! im becoming more and more interested in that rifle.
when i look at the masada i see XCR. externally.

rob_s
05-06-07, 19:49
Thought I'd bump this up just for fun and see if there's any more feedback on this thing.