PDA

View Full Version : Going to Thailand to become an expat

Eurodriver
02-11-12, 19:52
No joking here guys, I made up my mind.

Before I get the visa and actually head out there (yes Ive been there before) is there anywhere else you would recommend for someone in their 20s who just wants to get up and move somewhere wild for a couple years (if not forever?)

I have yellow fever if that makes a difference.

Also, just to show I'm serious, check out the EE. I'm selling every firearm I own for pretty cheap.

The_War_Wagon
02-11-12, 19:56
Watch out for the girls with adam's apples... :eek:

montanadave
02-11-12, 19:59

Aw, what the hell. It's Thailand, baby! :dance3:

Belmont31R
02-11-12, 20:00

I was watching 'An Idiot Abroad' the other day and this dude hung out with some 'Lady Boys' and let them put him in a dress and put make up on him. :eek:

http://science.discovery.com/videos/an-idiot-abroad-swimming-with-dolphins/

Scoby
02-11-12, 20:11
WTF.....and what the hell is an expat?

chadbag
02-11-12, 20:18
WTF.....and what the hell is an expat?

an expat is roughly someone who lives in a different country than they are from. For example, an American who has put down his roots in Thailand (or anywhere). For whatever reason, expats get homesick so hang out with other expats in an expat community. Costco in Japan when I went there the first time seemed to be a local target for expats.

the word is short for "expatriate"

--

Gutshot John
02-11-12, 20:25
I have some thai friends who ironically are ex-pats living here in Pittsburgh.

I highly recommend Phuket, especially if you like the beach. It's way more civilized than Bangkok which is just crazy. Additionally I don't recommend driving and that goes double for the little scooters/motorcycles. That said the street vendor food is awesome.

Lady Boys are something unique to the Far East, essentially in Thailand they're considered a third gender. Pay very close attention as it can be very hard to tell but when I was there they all made it clear what they were.

Scoby
02-11-12, 20:47
Thanks Chad...learned a new word and its' meaning.

CarlosDJackal
02-11-12, 21:28
...is there anywhere else you would recommend for someone in their 20s who just wants to get up and move somewhere wild for a couple years (if not forever?)...

The French Foreign Legion?

Eurodriver
02-11-12, 21:34
The French Foreign Legion?

That would be counter productive.

I want to become a lazy, disgusting bum who doesnt own a watch.

Not an elite war fighter.

ALCOAR
02-11-12, 21:51
Perfect opportunity to pull off the elusive "Alec Baldwin...I'm moving to a different country if xyz gets elected"

When Obama gets reelected here very shortly you can make the ultimate stand/statement...and not puss out like Alec Baldwin did:D

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-11-12, 21:54
Australa or new zeland would be my picks only reason to go to Thailand is to F boys:stop:

pilotguyo540
02-11-12, 22:14
I hope your luck turns around.

FYI, France is a non extradition treaty country. Not sure if it matters, just thought I would throw that out there. ;)

Good luck.

Safetyhit
02-11-12, 22:20
Lady Boys are something unique to the Far East, essentially in Thailand they're considered a third gender. Pay very close attention as it can be very hard to tell but when I was there they all made it clear what they were.

If someone is worried about accidentally screwing a man in Thailand then maybe...nevermind.

buckshot1220
02-11-12, 22:32
I went to college in Dublin, Ireland for a semester in '07. It was an awesome city with more to do than one could ever ask for. Pubs everywhere and they were consistently packed day and night. Short drive/bus ride to the country to do some hiking and see the history Ireland has to offer. The girls were pretty easy too:D

As of right the economic boom, or "Celtic Tiger" as they called it, has crashed and it would be pretty tough making a living there though. If I could go live anywhere I think it would be Australia or New Zealand.

Good luck with whatever you eventually decide. Post up a few months after you move and let us know how if we should all sell our stuff and buy a one way plane ticket:jester:

Eurodriver
02-11-12, 22:42
My biggest concern right now is getting rid of everything....I mean everything. Car, dirtbike, guns, books, everything that won't fit in a little storage unit needs to bounce.

And I know ladyboys exist in Thailand but to say they're EVERYWHERE? No.

Belmont31R
02-11-12, 23:11
Maybe take a trip somewhere for a month before you decide to get rid of everything and take off.

My best friend and I went to Europe for a month the day after we graduated HS. I would have left sooner but people wanted to see me actually "walk" on graduation day.

If you're still dead set on it then go that route.

Sam
02-11-12, 23:23
An ex-pat is when Tom Brady is released from the New England football team because he's washed up. :D

Just kidding. Seriously, an ex-pat happens by choice. A refugee does it because he would be persecuted if he doesn't leave his homeland.

When you're in Thailand, don't forget to go and visit Cambodia.

a0cake
02-11-12, 23:29
Dude, I don't know what you're thinking, but it might be prudent to slow down for a second. Feel like sharing why you want to do all this?

Just sick of the whole first world? The meaningless news, the politics, the constant advertising? Tired of being marketed to (comercials)? Sick of the Kardashians, reality TV, the endless BS Americans concern themselves with? Maybe just want to go and do something that feels real?

If so, it's a common feeling, especially among combat veterans. Even more so among the smart ones.

My advice? Take a vacation there, see if you can see it being permanent. You might find you miss your guns, your laptop, your TV, etc.

But what do I know? I'm sure you have your reasons. Just make sure you know what you're doing.

sandsunsurf
02-12-12, 00:07
I like central and south America for when I dream of living abroad for six months or more at a time. Inexpensive, friendly people, safe. Most places I think of are relatively rural. And many countries are super friendly to expats from a tax and visa point of view.

Europe is way too expensive. Asia is far away, with a complex language and a buttload of people.

Australia is on my list of places to visit but so far only a vacation destination, not a dream expat haven.

Eurodriver
02-12-12, 00:20
Maybe take a trip somewhere for a month before you decide to get rid of everything and take off.

My best friend and I went to Europe for a month the day after we graduated HS. I would have left sooner but people wanted to see me actually "walk" on graduation day.

If you're still dead set on it then go that route.

I actually just got back this afternoon from a trip abroad.

I had such a good time, I've been back for less than 6 hours and I already want to leave again.

Its a sign.

Reagans Rascals
02-12-12, 00:21
I'd go to New Zealand, or Switzerland. Those are my 2 "bug out" choices.

Eurodriver
02-12-12, 00:21
I like central and south America for when I dream of living abroad for six months or more at a time. Inexpensive, friendly people, safe. Most places I think of are relatively rural. And many countries are super friendly to expats from a tax and visa point of view.

Europe is way too expensive. Asia is far away, with a complex language and a buttload of people.

Australia is on my list of places to visit but so far only a vacation destination, not a dream expat haven.

Excellent point. Costa Rica sounds nice.

Reagans Rascals
02-12-12, 00:27
In order to move to Australia and become a citizen, you must first verify you have enough funds to live for 6 months if you become unemployed, they won't let bums move there "legally"

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-12-12, 01:31

New Zealand seems interesting to get away from everything, literally. Lot's of natural beauty and not swamp-ass hot.

My next door neighbor is an entreuprenuer and a Norweign ex-pat. After the last pres election he asked me what the hell are we doing? If we screw this up here, where the hell can he go next?

DeltaSierra
02-12-12, 01:35
Eurodriver,

I have thought about something like you are planning for some time myself.

Personally, Thailand would be the last place on my list (knowing what I know about that place) but if that is where you are headed, good luck to you!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-12-12, 03:24
When you get over there, sign up for the "Adopt a Service Member" program. Then, when Christmas rolls around and they come into port, you invite them over and show them some American hospitality. Huge morale booster!

Iraqgunz
02-12-12, 05:47
Euro,

When I was younger I went through a "phase"after leaving the Army. I ended up back in Europe and 2.5 years later found myself back in the U.S. I can honestly say that with all of the traveling and things I have done I appreciate the U.S more than I did.

I would take some time to reflect on why it is you feel the way you do and ask if it is something you can change.

Just a Jarhead
02-12-12, 06:15
You might find this forum helpful. Sometimes a man's just gotta move. Even if for a few years and clear the cobwebs. I completely understand. Good luck whatever you decide on.
http://www.expatforum.com/

austinN4
02-12-12, 08:55
In order to move to Australia and become a citizen, you must first verify you have enough funds to live for 6 months if you become unemployed, they won't let bums move there "legally"
^^^This

Before you sell you stuff and make your move you really should research the immigration and tax laws of where you propose to go. Almost anywhere is easy to visit, but most places worth living make it very hard to simply drop in long-term without violating their laws. What we fail to understand in the US is that we are one of the easiest countries in the world to drop into.

I have looked hard at moving out of the US several times but once I reseached the immigration and tax requirements of where I wanted to go I have always stayed here. I don't know about Thailand, other than visiting, but I do know that Canada, Australia and New Zealand made it too disadvantagious for me to legally immigrate.

As to Thailand, it is a great place to visit, but where are you going to find work, or don't you need to? Bangkok is fun to visit, but the air quality is too bad there for me to want to stay more than a week or so. And it is way too crowded.

Phuket and Chang Mai would be on my list for Thailand, but having spent a month in Phuket I can say I was really ready to come home.

As someone else said, before you go off the deep end, do a long-term visit first. But check the visa requirements first as some countries won't let you stay very long without some other connection to the country such as school or job.

sniperfrog
02-12-12, 09:31

Switzerland is expensive as hell. I spent $80 to put about 15 gallons of deisel in the truck we were driving. That was in 1997 when gas/deisel was about a dollar a gallon in the US.

Armati
02-12-12, 09:35
Two cents:

Since it came up, 'expat' = expatriot - a person who resigns their old citizenship for a new one. In common usage it is a person who lives/works in a foreign country for an extended period of time.

I have very seriously considered retiring in Thailand. I personally love Bangkok. Phuket, Chang Mai, Chang Rai are very nice and much more laid back than the big city. All in all the people are very nice and very tolerant.

For a young man I would recommend staying away from the usual sexual tourism type stuff. The HIV rate is around 50% or so. However, I would recommend finding yourself a NICE Thai girl. Try the University areas or make a few Thai friends that can introduce you to WOTP (Women Other Than Prostitutes). Personally, I would find myself a good Muay Thai school that accepts "farang" (that's you).

As an American you will tend to come off as very high strung. The Thais are big on 'chai yen-yen' - keeping it cool. Do not piss off or slight Thais. You will make no friends and the word will spread fast in that area. Remember you are dealing with people who's world view is very much informed by Buddism. You would do well to learn a little bit about Buddism, Thai culture, and language before you go. That said, take the Buddism thing with a grain of salt. The Thais have a saying "Monks are people too."

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-12-12, 09:43
New Zealand

Has cool accents, no bad snakes, no bad bees, great gun laws, great hunting, great people.

Thialand

dirty, lots of lady boys, child molesters, everything will kill you, and you might wake up in a bathtub full of ice.

Eurodriver
02-12-12, 10:03
Two cents:

Since it came up, 'expat' = expatriot - a person who resigns their old citizenship for a new one. In common usage it is a person who lives/works in a foreign country for an extended period of time.

I have very seriously considered retiring in Thailand. I personally love Bangkok. Phuket, Chang Mai, Chang Rai are very nice and much more laid back than the big city. All in all the people are very nice and very tolerant.

For a young man I would recommend staying away from the usual sexual tourism type stuff. The HIV rate is around 50% or so. However, I would recommend finding yourself a NICE Thai girl. Try the University areas or make a few Thai friends that can introduce you to WOTP (Women Other Than Prostitutes). Personally, I would find myself a good Muay Thai school that accepts "farang" (that's you).

As an American you will tend to come off as very high strung. The Thais are big on 'chai yen-yen' - keeping it cool. Do not piss off or slight Thais. You will make no friends and the word will spread fast in that area. Remember you are dealing with people who's world view is very much informed by Buddism. You would do well to learn a little bit about Buddism, Thai culture, and language before you go. That said, take the Buddism thing with a grain of salt. The Thais have a saying "Monks are people too."

Thanks - Someone who's been there. I know what farang are, and a nice Thai girl who's not a prostitute is gravy. I don't know where to find them though, I spent most of my time on Soi Cowboy ... :stop:

What do you suggest I do for work? Any ideas? I'm not high strung at all, I definitely fit in with the culture over there (except for my height...)

But guys preaching New Zealand, talk to me. It sounds good so far.

Eurodriver
02-12-12, 10:06
Euro,

When I was younger I went through a "phase"after leaving the Army. I ended up back in Europe and 2.5 years later found myself back in the U.S. I can honestly say that with all of the traveling and things I have done I appreciate the U.S more than I did.

I would take some time to reflect on why it is you feel the way you do and ask if it is something you can change.

Let me ask you this, if you could go back and do it over, would you have not spent those 2.5 years in Europe?

Iraqgunz
02-12-12, 10:37
I didn't have much of a choice at the time as I was still married and had children.

Let me ask you this, if you could go back and do it over, would you have not spent those 2.5 years in Europe?

J-Dub
02-12-12, 11:18
Good luck!

I'd like to go to switzerland just to see what it would be like to live there. Or maybe NZ. The red stag alone woud be worth it lol

QuietShootr
02-12-12, 11:25

Before I get the visa and actually head out there (yes Ive been there before) is there anywhere else you would recommend for someone in their 20s who just wants to get up and move somewhere wild for a couple years (if not forever?)

Also, just to show I'm serious, check out the EE. I'm selling every firearm I own for pretty cheap.

One of my Marine friends from college did that - wound up kicking all around Asia for 5-6 years...met a girl from Belfast on Pattaya Beach and married her.

They plan to go back to Asia eventually. They just taught English and that sort of thing, and from the pictures of their house, they lived like kings.

WillBrink
02-12-12, 11:40
Excellent point. Costa Rica sounds nice.

Costa Rica is OK, Panama way better. As always, news travels slow, and the locals no longer see Costa Rica as the place to go, and the entire region is going to Panama. I'm currently in Panama, and own a place in Panama City. As I'm a researcher at heart, did my research a solid year before coming here. Currently going back and forth to US so not a perm resident.

Economy is booming, many tax breaks for ex pats (like no property taxes for 20 years on a place you but here, etc), very low crime rates (gone up considerably in Costa Rica BTW) and all around great place. Another growing place, is Columbia BTW.

And the kicker? not anti gun, and if you're a resident, CCW not that difficult to get.

That pretty much closed the deal for me. No ARs (eg "military grade" weapons) but handguns, shot gun, hunting rifles, and such can be had legally.

Ranked number one place to visit by a number of venues, like NY Times, etc. I have many good contacts here, so happy to hook you up as needed.

Personally, Asia does not interest me in the least.

austinN4
02-12-12, 11:41
They just taught English and that sort of thing, and from the pictures of their house, they lived like kings.
Another place to live like a king for not a lot of $ is the Ubud area of Bali: http://www.indo.com/active/ubud.html

Even though Indonesia is mostly Muslim, the island of Bali is mostly (90+%) Hindu.

khc3
02-12-12, 12:48
I went to college in Dublin, Ireland for a semester in '07. It was an awesome city with more to do than one could ever ask for. Pubs everywhere and they were consistently packed day and night. Short drive/bus ride to the country to do some hiking and see the history Ireland has to offer. The girls were pretty easy too:D

Yeah, but it's full of Irish people. ;)

(j/k, I'm half Irish, but it's kept subjugated by my English half.)

khc3
02-12-12, 12:55
Never been to Asia myself, but I've always heard the Philippines can be very nice for Americans, as English is spoken pretty widely.

austinN4
02-12-12, 13:32
Costa Rica is OK, Panama way better.

Economy is booming, many tax breaks for ex pats (like no property taxes for 20 years on a place you but here, etc), very low crime rates (gone up considerably in Costa Rica BTW) and all around great place.
Having spent a lot of time in both countries, I totally agree. CR is now way too expensive and crime is up substantially.

Staying in this hemisphere, I would look hard at Panama, as well as Argentina and Chile.

In Panama, if big cities aren't your thing (they aren't mine), look at the Boquete area in the highlands up near the CR border.

In Chile and Argentina, I like the less populated southern provinces in the Patagona area. The lakes region of northern Patagonia in both counties is a place I could easily live.

dhrith
02-12-12, 13:59
Another plus for New Zealand. Buddy of mine went to work there for a couple years and had nothing but good things to say about it, unlike the shitty gun laws in Australia. I've worked in a good few of the countries on the planet and while they're all cool in their own way I was always glad to get home after a month or two. Do it while your able and single.

WillBrink
02-12-12, 14:09
Having spent a lot of time in both countries, I totally agree. CR is now way too expensive and crime is up substantially.

Staying in this hemisphere, I would look hard at Panama, as well as Argentina and Chile.

In Panama, if big cities aren't your thing (they aren't mine), look at the Boquete area in the highlands up near the CR border.

In Chile and Argentina, I like the less populated southern provinces in the Patagona area. The lakes region of northern Patagonia in both counties is a place I could easily live.

I don't like big cities either, but for some reason, Panama City just does not feel like a big city to me. It's like some huge small town or something. Told my friend before I visited I didn't like cities, and he said it will be different, and he was right.

The truly un tapped place the locals know is great, but everyone outside does not, is Columbia, which I'm told by everyone here is very nice and quite safe now, and a great place to visit. And the women, well, one just has to really see it to believe it.

Paru appears to be another. I have to admit, before my visit to Panama, I had essentially a similar view of SA as many in the US: everything past TX essentially the same. My bad. :cool:

Eurodriver
02-12-12, 14:52
What kind of work could I do in Panama?

For sake of clarity, assume I am bright, but have absolutely no "experience" in any field.

WillBrink
02-12-12, 15:50
What kind of work could I do in Panama?

For sake of clarity, assume I am bright, but have absolutely no "experience" in any field.

Without some solid Spanish and or $$$, it's a tough gig. Depends on what skill sets you have to offer obviously, so hard for me to give you a solid answer there, but I would think that's no different regardless of where you go no? My spanish is poor, but I have skills/knowledge people want, and had a few $$$ to work with, so I invested in a business here and got a place, etc. It's a really fun place however.

sboza
02-12-12, 16:34
I don't know about selling everything and leaving for a cpl years. But since I was 19, every year I could, I would take of to a different country/continent and backpack around for 2 weeks to 2 months. Throw on top of that the less fun places I've worked and I've seen a decent bit of the globe. At the end of the day, there's no place like the USA but man were the experiences worth it.

Now is this time to do it for you. Like i said, selling everything and leaving for years seems like overkill to me but it's your life. Once you are working full time, it's hard to line up continuous time off and once you're in a committed relationship, backpacking adventures turn into resort stays. Nothing wrong with resorts, but it's an experience separated from the local populace.

Don't listen to all of the nutty comments from people who haven't ever left their back porch and do your thing. Watch out for the extremely liberal backpacker/traveller attitude. Keep your opinions/beliefs to yourself and you'll have a more enjoyable experience. I've had lots of good times with folks so liberal that I wouldn't acknowledge them in America. I'm not saying to compromise your values and beliefs (I never did), just don't wear them on your sleeve.

As for the ladyboy nonsense, they are everywhere, not just in the east (think brazil). And there are many reasons to travel Thailand other than what some brilliant poster proposed (to F boys). It's true that in recent years, the more remote islands ,favored by travelers, have become infested with camera waving tourists (I'm one of these now so no offense to anyone). But you will always be able to find places to travel that are off the beaten path. As for the sex trade there, it exists ... stay clear. There are plenty of women amongst the locals and fellow travelers that you can befriend. Good luck, be safe, and always keep your SA up.

Edit to add: personally, if I were going to spend any length of time anywhere, it'd be brazil, australia, or new zealand (and maybe costa rica).

HK51Fan
02-12-12, 19:16

I think it's a pretty cool place in a wild wild west kind of way.....where are you planning to live, phuket, bangkok, rayong? Nakhon Sawan? ;0)

Dunderway
02-12-12, 21:27
I don't like big cities either, but for some reason, Panama City just does not feel like a big city to me. It's like some huge small town or something. Told my friend before I visited I didn't like cities, and he said it will be different, and he was right.

The truly un tapped place the locals know is great, but everyone outside does not, is Columbia, which I'm told by everyone here is very nice and quite safe now, and a great place to visit. And the women, well, one just has to really see it to believe it.

Spot on Will. I love Panama, and try to get there several times a year. If you get sick of the city, you can be on a dirt road, dodging iguanas in a rented Hilux within an hour or less:cool:

I have a few good friends in Colombia, and they say that 80's action flicks still kill their tourism, LOL. Mark my word, it will be the CR of investments for this generation.

Dunderway
02-12-12, 21:39

My former and all time favorite boss just retired to Thailand with his wife. He's loving it, but has money and connections so that makes it easy to live anywhere. He has a lot going on down there, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any valuable skills/experience and I'll ask him if he's got anything the next time we talk.

Nathan_Bell
02-13-12, 09:49
Friend of mine is an industrial anodizing line erector, some years he spends more time overseas than in the US.

His favorite non-US country is Brazil, away from the coast on the pampas (spelling?). Friendly people, reasonably developed, and the countryside is a lot like the US.

QuietShootr
02-13-12, 10:30

Paru appears to be another. I have to admit, before my visit to Panama, I had essentially a similar view of SA as many in the US: everything past TX essentially the same. My bad. :cool:

Do you mean Colombia?

Anyone who tells you it's quite safe is either very insulated from everything by the amount of money they have, or happily delusional. It's not as bad as it was, but it's not Panama.

WillBrink
02-13-12, 10:59
Do you mean Colombia?

Anyone who tells you it's quite safe is either very insulated from everything by the amount of money they have, or happily delusional. It's not as bad as it was, but it's not Panama.

Yes, Colombia. The locals here, both from the region and ex pats who have been who live here, go back and forth, etc, have told me, the major cities are far better then they were, it's a great place to visit, and many regionally are going their to develop business.

Safer then Panama, no, and I did not say it was. I hope to have first person account asap.

Honu
02-13-12, 11:30
Eurodriver :)

I used to live on Utila its one of the bay islands of Honduras do some google on it
I was their before it was as popular as it is now I was their about 20 years ago
note I grew up on the water lived within a couple hundred feet of water all my life till now in AZ !! I miss the ocean big time so as they say you dont choose a island a islands chooses you !!!

but Utila is great you would want to be a dive instructor or open some funky shop maybe ?
but you have to be willing to deal with hippy backpacker types but they also have a huge rave scene once a year

I mostly hung out with the locals and the euro backpacker people were OK when I was their and were all pretty cool people and got in lots of good gun arguments with them in a nice way that made many of them think dif

I also lived in Micronesia and worked their as a dive instructor

the bay islands is a great place and can be very liveable much like Belize as they used to be the same thing all part of British Honduras but much more behind the times than belize

just worth checking out maybe ?

I sold all my guns when I went to travel for many years wish I kept most now ? should have gotten a good safe and kept it at my parents but then again ? oh well
if you can buy a good safe keep at your parents and keep your guns
I am 48 now and some 25 years later I wish I kept them all ! but if it has to finance you then go for it the experiences I had were not something you can buy !!!!!

I can say another thing might be if you can swing it do a 3 month or so trek with a backpack and check out parts of Central America etc.. or head over to where you want to go in Thailand and have a ton of fun
I say do these things when you are younger in your 20s when you can and have a more open attitude more willing to sleep on lousy beds and dont need as much rest when you are in your 40s you cant party the same !!!! those who save it for retirement are loosing out !!!!

just make sure you check in once in a while with good pics of your new life and dont give up your citizenship here keep it like IraqGuns said you will really appreciate what we have here now in my 40s with kids I am glad I have the US and hope it stays nice !!!! while I love Central America I dont think I would want to raise my kids there !!!

sboza
02-13-12, 11:43
Honu - God man! Half a page without a single comma or period? I think that you had some good thoughts in there but your writing style makes my head hurt.

thopkins22
02-13-12, 11:46
I've lived half of my life as an expat. Don't know squat about Thailand though.

General tips for living abroad:

Register with the embassy when you arrive.

Eat street food. You might get sick...but it's usually so good that it will be worth it.

Ask cab drivers, waiters, and the folks at the hotel where you shouldn't go...and then DON'T go there.

Get involved with one of the expat groups. You'll get enough of the local culture, but once a week or once a month it's nice to get together for a football game, chili, and english.

Take a bunch of high quality condoms, most places in the world women will be throwing themselves at you for no other reason than the possibility of a "rich" American taking them away.

Have fun.

Come back safely...it's great to get away...it's still damn good to come back.

Irish
02-13-12, 12:08
Another possibility is to try out a program like JET (Japanese Exchange Teaching). http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/ They pay you to live and teach the English language in Japan. I had a friend who did it and absolutely loved it. There is a possibility there are similar programs for Thailand or other countries you may be interested in as well.

The best thing about New Zealand is the All Blacks!!! And if you love shagging sheep there's no better place on earth! :)

Another serious recommendation would be to check out the country's culture, typical or common religious beliefs and what are the most popular sports for that area. Most countries don't care for American NFL and NBA basketball while they are die hard fanatics for rugby, soccer and other things like cricket and curling. Do some research on their sports, attend a local game here in the States and see if you like them.

The USA Sevens tournament was awesome this past weekend and Samoa beat out NZ to win the Cup! I lucked out and made it to the finals on Sunday for an incredible day of rugby with some great friends.

buckshot1220
02-13-12, 22:35
Keeping up on this thread, and reflecting back on my original post, there is something I should add.

Think of the freedoms you enjoy here in the U.S. and cannot live without, then ask yourself if said country you are moving to can provide you the same. I bring this up because although I enjoyed living for a semester in Ireland, I could never homestead myself there. Not having any real way to own firearms (think Washington D.C. type) and the insane amount of people on state welfare drove me insane. Fun to visit, but too much of a nanny state for someone like myself to deal with.

For a lot of people here on this forum firearms ownership and the right to self defense is a big deal. YMMV.

Honu
02-14-12, 00:46
Honu - God man! Half a page without a single comma or period? I think that you had some good thoughts in there but your writing style makes my head hurt.

sorry my grammar is bad been covered before :)

like I say at least I know my weakness its grammar :) hehe for some reason I just cant get it and trust me I have tried
but it has not stopped me from having a great life and yet I am kinda one of those computer genius types ? funny how one who is weak in one area makes up in others :)

Honu
02-14-12, 00:53
also I have been through most European countries twice and I like French country side and like Italy in most areas
but not sure I would want to live in them for political reasons Buckshot said I look at what I would not want to loose !

one of my local buddies from Honduras when talking about guns said yeah I had a AK for a while till I ran out of ammo ? I bought it off a rebel when I was over in El Salvador sold me the gun and a couple cases of ammo when I asked how much ? he thought it was around $80 or so could not really remember
said it was fun to shoot things up on full auto asked what he did with it he said he sold it off to some tourist :eek:

Honduras in the bay islands is not like mainland Honduras so it was pretty cool for the most part still petty crime though but that's ever where

Eurodriver
02-14-12, 11:45
Hey guys, just to clarify:

How far would $5000 get someone in Thailand or Panama? What about $10,000? $20,000?

I ask specifics only because "How much money would someone need to get started" is very relative. How far you can go with $10,000 is not.

snappy
02-14-12, 12:42
That would be counter productive.

I want to become a lazy, disgusting bum who doesnt own a watch.

Not an elite war fighter.

Go to Mexico. Then you could become both. ;)

WillBrink
02-14-12, 12:50
Go to Mexico. Then you could become both. ;)

Unless accompanied by DevGru, aint setting foot in that country personally. :eek:

Honu
02-14-12, 15:22

How far would $5000 get someone in Thailand or Panama? What about $10,000? $20,000?

I ask specifics only because "How much money would someone need to get started" is very relative. How far you can go with $10,000 is not.

not sure about how far money goes ?

but make sure you have a way of getting your money easy but not carrying to much on you at any one point

Eurodriver
02-17-12, 09:01
Makes sense Honu.

I've decided I'm going to finish the semester (GI BIll = $$$$) but in the mean time I'm going to look into foreign colleges.

The GI Bill pays $1333/mo for living expenses if attending a foreign college, I'll also receive a $500/mo kicker on top of that. While thats not a ton of money, it is guaranteed income. Coupled with savings, a job (hopefully) and exchange rates I can't imagine finding myself homeless and starving even if I am stuck with the housing stiped alone.

So I guess what is attracting me now is a good, safe college where, worst case scenario, ~$2k a month is a livable amount of money (I.E. not Tokyo or London)

Edit: I am looking at a university in Bangkok. 62,000 Baht a month is a STUPID amount of money. One month's BAH will pay for an entire year at the housing there at the school or about 6 months for an apartment.

(just thinking out loud)

Grizzly16
02-17-12, 09:27
Makes sense Honu.

I've decided I'm going to finish the semester (GI BIll = $$$$) but in the mean time I'm going to look into foreign colleges.

The GI Bill pays $1333/mo for living expenses if attending a foreign college, I'll also receive a $500/mo kicker on top of that. While thats not a ton of money, it is guaranteed income. Coupled with savings, a job (hopefully) and exchange rates I can't imagine finding myself homeless and starving even if I am stuck with the housing stiped alone.

So I guess what is attracting me now is a good, safe college where, worst case scenario, ~$2k a month is a livable amount of money (I.E. not Tokyo or London)

Edit: I am looking at a university in Bangkok. 62,000 Baht a month is a STUPID amount of money. One month's BAH will pay for an entire year at the housing there at the school or about 6 months for an apartment.

(just thinking out loud)

Does the college you are at have an over seas program or sister school over seas somewhere? If you are concerned with finishing a degree it will be much easier to transfer credits back. Or check with your school now to see what the transfer program is like and what schools they will accept hours from.

I'm guessing from the theme of this thread worrying about graduation isn't a big deal. And I can definitely understand that. Just throwing an idea out that might be handy in 10 years.

WillBrink
02-17-12, 10:31
(just thinking out loud)

If there's one thing I regret, it's not finishing my degree earlier. I fu^$ed around and it took forever to get done. Any one will tell you, longer you wait, harder it gets to finish as life takes all your time and $$$. First year of school is often the toughest for many (hence the drop out rates go way down if people get passed the first year) as it's a major adjustment on many levels, and you're generally unfocused on your studies (getting basic pre recs out of the way, etc) which again, is tough on the brain.

Banging around for a few years then finishing school, not a bad idea either, if you actually finish school, and i did it myself, but I will say in retrospect, wish I had just put my head down, taken the "you don't have to like it you just have to do it" approach at the time, and banged it out, and then, gone tripping around the joint.

Everyone has their life path, and not everyone may agree with above, but if you have GI bill covering it, already there doing it, I'd say unless you get a school to fully transfer to and continue education (There's a fully accredited branch of FSU here in Panama BTW....) I vote stay in college and finish.

College education may not be for everyone, but I can promise one thing: Life is hard enough to succeed in these days with the education, much less without it. Just sayin'...

Big brother talk ending... :cool:

Honu
02-17-12, 13:25
on the money thing the other thing I did was try to keep my money in American dollars and only convert what was needed ? not sure today :) but in Honduras when I was their the limp went form 9:1 to about 11:1 these days I think its like 20:1
some banks would let you bank in US dollars but you have to be careful about drawing it out in US ? again no place and time is the same so always double check
the other thing was safe deposit box and keep your own cash
the other way was before I went having travel checks and visa cash cards that could be used at banks

again the country and times I went are dif than today but many travel sites will have info on what to do etc.. also do some checking if their are some expat sites with the countries you want to go to see what they say about things

also the places I went I went to hang out for a while like a year so longer term thinking for a month or two handful of cash and travel checks are all thats needed past that I think you have to think about how the locals live and really live in the culture or you are always a tourist
and better to be a local tourist :)

chadbag
02-17-12, 13:48
Where-ever you end up, go read both the expat and the tourist websites about that place on how to get around. You will learn little tidbits on how to get maximum value for your USD etc.

For example, in Japan, your best bet is to use your US Visa/MC debit card at the POST OFFICE ATMs. Not at most bank ATMs. The fees are minimal and they give you the best rate. Changing cash you lose a some percentage points compared to the rate at the POST OFFICE ATMs. And most credit cards will charge you 2-3% convenience fees or foreign exchange fees (a few credit cards don't). I just learned this about Japan for my last trip this past September, which was my sixth trip since 2000...

Those sorts of tidbits you can find on the tourist and expat websites for those countries.

-

Suwannee Tim
02-17-12, 15:58
.....I want to become a lazy, disgusting bum who doesnt own a watch......

Dang son, you are two thirds of the way there already! Good luck. I'm glad you got to know me.:D

snackgunner
02-18-12, 09:07
Makes sense Honu.

Are you using the Post 9/11 GI Bill or the Montgomery GI Bill?

Is that 500/mo a kicker that you paid into for the Montgomery GI Bill? Or is it a 500/semester for books?

Eurodriver
02-18-12, 10:31
Are you using the Post 9/11 GI Bill or the Montgomery GI Bill?

Is that 500/mo a kicker that you paid into for the Montgomery GI Bill? Or is it a 500/semester for books?

It is a "kicker" to the GI Bill, it is not the book stipend and it is not what I paid into it.

The Corps basically said "You're smart. Here's an extra incentive to come to us."

http://www.military.com/education/content/gi-bill/the-gi-bill-kicker.html

The shitty part? If I would have attended college 1 semester sooner I would have gotten the kicker as a lump sum instead of an extra $500/mo payment. That was a kick in the dick.

snackgunner
02-18-12, 11:22
It is a "kicker" to the GI Bill, it is not the book stipend and it is not what I paid into it.

The Corps basically said "You're smart. Here's an extra incentive to come to us."

http://www.military.com/education/content/gi-bill/the-gi-bill-kicker.html

The shitty part? If I would have attended college 1 semester sooner I would have gotten the kicker as a lump sum instead of an extra $500/mo payment. That was a kick in the dick.

I was in the Corps also. Before I got out they told me I could pay $600 for a kicker and get an additional $3,000 or so towards my Montgomery GI Bill. Not sure if those numbers are spot on, but it was something like that.

I used the Montgomery GI Bill only for a short while once I got out, then I switched to the Post 9/11 GI Bill once it was introduced, because it was much better. So that kicker I paid into was basically a waste. Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill I get 500/semester for books, on top of BAH ect.

But its not a big deal. I just wanted to ask you those questions, because I didnt know if this kicker you were talking of was the one that goes towards the Montgomery GI Bill, something for overseas colleges, or something totally different. And I know that the Post 9/11 GI Bill is always changing, so I wanted to know if there was any new updates. But I think from what youre saying and if I read that link correctly, this GI Bill kicker they gave you was something they offered to you when you signed up. It sounds a little bit different than the kicker I paid into. Anyways, good stuff and Im glad youre able to put that kicker to good use.

Good luck with the next step on your journey. I wish you the best.

Dunderway
02-18-12, 23:50
This is the best advice I can give, from a man that is coming very close to doing the same thing you want to do, and has seen many try it before.

1. Figure out where you want to go. Don't just go anywhere like you seem to be trying to do now. Once you figure that out, start researching the country and learning the language immediately.

2. Take a long visit, at least 3-4 weeks. You need to see how you like things before you commit. A one-way ticket is not an ideal way to see a place for the first time.

3. Do not be a tourist/hippie. 1 & 2 will lend to this. My native friends in Central America have impressive apartments in the $400 - $500 range. You will not be able to get these, because you don't know about them and are a Gringo. But do #1 & 2 and you can make it happen.

4. Have a safety net, even if you are gung-ho and want to leave everything. Talk to a trusted family member/friend, leave them enough money and contact info to get you back into the US at the drop of a hat.

Honu
02-19-12, 01:32
when I lived in Honduras I took off by public bus for a month in Guatemala
the hostels I stayed at in a few spots gave me good current ideas when talking to other travelers on things to do places to eat places to avoid etc... and the rest of the time I found locals homes to stay in for a few bucks which was fun and they also had good advice on things

funny about the hippy/tourist :) when I lived on Utila that was mostly what came their to dive cheapest place in the world to learn to dive ( I taught scuba ) most were pretty cool though but man I was not the hippy tourist type gladly :) hehehe

Armati
02-20-12, 08:09

On any given Sunday, the Thai Baht is about 30-40 to 1 USD. A nice cheap hotel in Bangkok will run about $20-30 a day. If you need really simple accommodations you can get something passable for half of that. You can go full-on native for a few dollars. For the most part, food is very cheap, very good and very plentiful. Outside of Bangkok things are much cheaper. By and large, I was able to live just fine, for several weeks for around $20 a day. Really it just depends on how you want to live.