PDA

View Full Version : Army Question: Getting a personal upper into OEF

CPLSwankIN
02-11-12, 20:42
Hello,
First post so hopefully this is the right forum

My question to those who have deployed recently: Can or have you taken a personal AR upper to OEF and how?

The issue is that my CO has approved it but I leave before I can receive it. That being said please only answers to the question and no opinions on if I can use it or not. I know how to get it back into the US, I just don't know how to get it there with the shipping policy. I have mid-tour leave and one of my SGT's said I could bring it over in my check-in bag. He was not 100% sure since the last time he went was in 2006.

Last question and opinions very welcome (unless its DI vs. GPS)
ADCORE B.E.A.R. vs PWS MKI vs Adams Arms Elite uppers

Thanks for any info/input!
CPL S

Keydet08
02-11-12, 20:49
What is wrong with your Colt or FN? Why do you feel that you need a different upper?

Jaysop
02-11-12, 20:49
Are you NG? I have a friend who said they could bring their own rifle to kuwait.
Your better off just using whats issued. I wouldn't be trusting my life with an ADCOR.

Todd00000
02-11-12, 20:50
Your CO doesn't have approval authority for a weapon modification, no matter how mild the modification. SF types can get away with it, and I have seen a SF Soldier with a LMT piston upper break in combat. I would strongly advise to stay with what you are issued. If an investigation (UCMJ 15-6) happened you would lose and could pay with time in Leavenworth; it's not worth it.

Jaysop
02-11-12, 20:56
I also wouldn't be wanting a rifle that has proprietary parts that you cant just have fixed if needed. As far as real quality and not just promised by manufacture quality is a colt. 6920 specifically. And that's pretty much what you'd have anyway right?

If anyyything id use their open minded procedures and just upgrade the optic, back up irons, better stock and sling.
And other gear you'll want. like real quality flashlights and cold weather gear. Maybe a better pack thats not just the camo jansport packs the Gov seems to like nowadays.

Todd00000
02-11-12, 21:02
I also wouldn't be wanting a rifle that has proprietary parts that you cant just have fixed if needed. As far as real quality and not just promised by manufacture quality is a colt. 6920 specifically. And that's pretty much what you'd have anyway right?

If anyyything id use their open minded procedures and just upgrade the optic, back up irons, better stock and sling.
And other gear you'll want. like real quality flashlights and cold weather gear. Maybe a better pack thats not just the camo jansport packs the Gov seems to like nowadays.

Yes if you are deploying to Afghan with a M68 spend your money on an ACOG with reflex like I did.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/toddgriffin00/Picture132.jpg

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-11-12, 21:05
Taking it is the easy part getting it home is the hard one. Some NG snipers I was with in 04 had an upper they brought with them I dont know how they got it home.

ZoneOne
02-11-12, 21:11
Check with customs at BAF. They have a DSN line. Look it up and contact the customs office down range. Your Commander has no authority over them. It doesn't matter what memo you have and with what letter head, a E4 from Customs will rock your world.

I had an issue bringing back an auto open knife. No problem getting it there though. No one cares what comes into Afghanistan. People, do however, care what goes out. Food for thought.

BTW if your CO knew what was good for him, he wouldn't put his name down authorizing you to do that.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-11-12, 21:16
Check with customs at BAF. They have a DSN line. Look it up and contact the customs office down range. Your Commander has no authority over them. It doesn't matter what memo you have and with what letter head, a E4 from Customs will rock your world.

I had an issue bringing back an auto open knife. No problem getting it there though. No one cares what comes into Afghanistan. People, do however, care what goes out. Food for thought.

Ha ya the knife thing is so dumb every mother fer has a pocket knife and I had to get a waver for every knife in my company last time to get them through customs.

HardLuck682
02-11-12, 21:30
I just came back from Afghanistan (within 45 days) and to echo what everyone else is saying, stick with the Colt upper. Don't toy around with unauthorized weapon modifications. Your issued 14.5" Colt 6920 is sufficient for its purposes. Upgrade to a magnified optic, a better sling, butt stock and iron sights, but leave the base rifle alone.
as far as customs, no weapons, weapon parts or ammunition is allowed to be taken to the United Stated from Afghanistan. It was hard enough to take back an issued Gerber knife.

My personal opinion is to not do it at all, but if you do, and you are able to get an upper into Afg and back stateside, i'd love to hear how smooth it went.

BTW, What is your MOS, and why do you "need" a different upper for your rifle?

Ash Hess
02-11-12, 22:29
M4 with M855A1 is plenty. Add this to fact that direct fire right now is not the threat in most areas. I say avoid the hassle. Cost to benefit ratio is low. Unless you going for CDI.

Iraqgunz
02-11-12, 22:59
Thank you, I was going to say the same thing. In addition it is my understanding that ITAR can still apply unless the items in question are official or unit issue.

Using anything proprietary in a combat zone without some type of support network is beyond stupid.

Your CO doesn't have approval authority for a weapon modification, no matter how mild the modification. SF types can get away with it, and I have seen a SF Soldier with a LMT piston upper break in combat. I would strongly advise to stay with what you are issued. If an investigation (UCMJ 15-6) happened you would lose and could pay with time in Leavenworth; it's not worth it.