PDA

View Full Version : CAA Rail choices?

ddemis
12-21-07, 02:56
My budget is tight right now so I have been looking for a inexpensive drop in pic rail for my new build. I can't go much over a 100 bucks right now and thought about trying Command Arms new M44 aluminum rail system. It looks well made and has four rubber rail covers that don't ad much bulk. Anyone ever tried this model, any insight would really appreciated.

boltcatch
12-22-07, 09:37
What do you really need it for? Honestly, if you need a light/foregrip, save $ for another month and/or check the Equipment Exchange every day on That Other Site. I see Knight's 2-piece rails for as low as $100 frequently.

If you're not even planning to mount anything on it other than rail covers, then just save your money and save some weight. Fastest way to "be on a tight budget" is spend 75% of what a good thing costs on a so-so thing now rather than the good thing next month. You'll find you've spent all your money covering your weapon in glue and dragging it through the Tapco warehouse (sorry, Tapco), and you don't have any $ for stuff you really want.

ddemis
12-22-07, 12:51
I plan to mount a tango down verticle grip and a surefire g-2 with pressure switch. I tried a mid west drop in and it was high guality but when you ad rail covers the amount of bulk was conciderable. Trying to keep the weight and bulk down is a real challenge.

Steel_Weasel
12-22-07, 14:44
For your purposes you're much better off with a bolt on rail section.

Jaeger
12-22-07, 15:52
If you can, take some time and save for a Daniel Defense Omega rail. They only run about $240 and are pretty darn light and slim. Easy to install as well.

Have you found a quality pressure switch for the G2? The only ones I've seen are those Tacstars and I wouldn't trust them on a working rifle.

C4IGrant
12-22-07, 15:54
My budget is tight right now so I have been looking for a inexpensive drop in pic rail for my new build. I can't go much over a 100 bucks right now and thought about trying Command Arms new M44 aluminum rail system. It looks well made and has four rubber rail covers that don't ad much bulk. Anyone ever tried this model, any insight would really appreciated.

Have you thought about saving your money and buying used?

C4

Shihan
12-22-07, 18:05
I plan to mount a tango down verticle grip and a surefire g-2 with pressure switch. I tried a mid west drop in and it was high guality but when you ad rail covers the amount of bulk was conciderable. Trying to keep the weight and bulk down is a real challenge.

The MI far outweighs CAA for quality.

boltcatch
12-22-07, 19:21
I'd have to agree with that, though the MI is of course rather heavy-ish and bulky. Although... this just illustrates my point, think of what you could have afforded with the cost of the MI rail plus the cost of this CAA rail...

sonrider657
12-22-07, 19:30
I agree with Boltcatch.

Also, the better quality of the MI rails is worth the added weight IMO.

ddemis
12-22-07, 20:04
Hey Grant, it sounds like you have some used pic rails on hand, if so let me know what brand and models, thanks.

BushmasterFanBoy
12-22-07, 21:49
LaRue. It's the only way to mount VFG's, optics, front sights, lights, lasers, and any other picitany accessory you can think of.:D

C4IGrant
12-26-07, 12:41
Hey Grant, it sounds like you have some used pic rails on hand, if so let me know what brand and models, thanks.

Actually I don't. I do have the refurbed KAC RAS's which are a great deal IMHO.

C4