PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Photo of a BCM

Dunderway
02-11-12, 22:17
Sorry if this is a repost:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6789285157_27f51555d4_z.jpg

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/soldiersmediacenter/6789285157/in/photostream/

I believe this is an official Army photo.

samuse
02-11-12, 23:06
Hell yeah.

Looks like a 16" barrel and a 12" LaRue rail.

I feel a clone build comin' on!!

sinlessorrow
02-11-12, 23:11
kick ass, couldnt have picked a better brand to purchase if you had the choice.

wild_wild_wes
02-11-12, 23:20
Hell yeah.

Think its 18"

Fish-eye lens effect.

deadlyfire
02-11-12, 23:42
Been awhile since I've seen a personal upper in the hands of a soldier =o

pilotguyo540
02-12-12, 00:13
Front range? Looks like Colorado.

AMMOTECH
02-12-12, 10:54
From the Flickr link:

"Sniper training
Sgt. Lucas Cordes, a sniper team leader with Company F, 2nd Aviation Assault Battalion, 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade's Pathfinders, fires his customized M-16 at a target while hovering in a UH-60 Blackhawk during an aerial weapons firing platform exercise Jan. 26. The training allowed him to practice and learn the effects of bullet drop when firing from different altitudes."

MidwestRookie
02-12-12, 12:10
Very cool..thanks for posting.

Surf
02-12-12, 14:42
Nice photo. The biggest advantage isn't so much the bullet drop but the trajectory when you are say moving and the target is stationary. Also hitting things with even a small amount of magnification is very difficult from a helo. Good thing Blackhawks are very stable birds. :)

Cobra66
02-12-12, 17:11
Been awhile since I've seen a personal upper in the hands of a soldier =o

Yeah, kind of my thoughts as well :confused:

I doubt the aviation brigade has the freelance purchase capabilities of certain HSLD units so I would have to think this is a personal weapon/upper. Back in the early 1990s, you could find some soldiers shooting personal weapons during competitions and the like, but it seems this became a big no no towards the end of the 90s. Maybe uppers are considered something that can be sourced from civilian sources? Not my experience, but then again my old unit couldn't figure out how to swap out a trigger spring on an M9.

Not that it matters to me anymore other than me being a fan of BCM, but I would like to know the history of how that gun got there :confused:

deadlyfire
02-12-12, 18:35
Yeah, kind of my thoughts as well :confused:

I doubt the aviation brigade has the freelance purchase capabilities of certain HSLD units so I would have to think this is a personal weapon/upper. Back in the early 1990s, you could find some soldiers shooting personal weapons during competitions and the like, but it seems this became a big no no towards the end of the 90s. Maybe uppers are considered something that can be sourced from civilian sources? Not my experience, but then again my old unit couldn't figure out how to swap out a trigger spring on an M9.

Not that it matters to me anymore other than me being a fan of BCM, but I would like to know the history of how that gun got there :confused:

PM inbound

Endur
02-12-12, 18:41
Nice rifle.

Dunderway
02-12-12, 18:57
Nice photo. The biggest advantage isn't so much the bullet drop but the trajectory when you are say moving and the target is stationary. Also hitting things with even a small amount of magnification is very difficult from a helo. Good thing Blackhawks are very stable birds. :)

I was always impressed at what our helo crew could do
to a speeding go-fast out of a Jayhawk or Dolphin on rough seas. They used eotechs though.

wild_wild_wes
02-12-12, 18:59
From what I saw on Top sniper, when firing from a helo, the best option is an Eotech or Aimpoint.

Dunderway
02-12-12, 19:00
Hell yeah.

I feel a clone build comin' on!!

Yeah, no exposed gas block. Either that or a 13 & 18. If that strap wasn't in the way you could count the holes in the rail and know for sure.

Pax
02-23-12, 11:10
Unknown image source, date and location. USN EOD Tech (rank unknown, presumably 1st Class Petty Officer but I honestly dont know) OPSEC pictured with an AR. POF Lower, VLTOR VIS upper, Noveske rail, among other accessories. Talk about a personalized rifle...

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8398/usneodfredericthomas.jpg

Littlelebowski
02-23-12, 11:14
PM inbound

I'd like to know as well if possible.

tonyxcom
02-23-12, 11:39
Yeah, no exposed gas block. Either that or a 13 & 18. If that strap wasn't in the way you could count the holes in the rail and know for sure.

You can use the rail cover (Tangodown?) to extrapolate though, no?

Bowser
02-23-12, 21:52
Would like to know also. Weird stuff like this is interesting.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-24-12, 08:33
It looks just like my rifle with a diffrent scope, I would love to know some general details. The uniform is Army but the scope is what the marines are using.

danco
02-24-12, 09:53
The biggest advantage isn't so much the bullet drop but the trajectory when you are say moving and the target is stationary.

Shooting from various elevations w/ respect to your target is very important in understanding trajectory, or "bullet drop."

If you are shooting either upward or downward, your bullet will strike high relative to your point of aim, as the actual horizontal distance is less than your sighting distance (think trigonometry).

Shooting from a Blackhawk is very cool, indeed, but it's probably just as effective to shoot from a 60-foot tower...except for the moving and bouncing platform thing...

~Dan

az doug
02-24-12, 22:58
Calculating the distance that gravity will act upon your projectile, wind speed, rotor blast, target movement, the helicopter’s movement are some of the issues when shooting from a moving helicopter.

ucrt
02-24-12, 23:33

Just wondering, is that the blade frozen in mid-rotation?
Must have been a pretty good camera?

Surf
02-25-12, 01:41
Shooting from various elevations w/ respect to your target is very important in understanding trajectory, or "bullet drop."

If you are shooting either upward or downward, your bullet will strike high relative to your point of aim, as the actual horizontal distance is less than your sighting distance (think trigonometry).

Shooting from a Blackhawk is very cool, indeed, but it's probably just as effective to shoot from a 60-foot tower...except for the moving and bouncing platform thing...

~DanThanks Dan, I was not talking so much in regards to hold off for say a high angle shot, but I am talking about shooters usually have more of an issue when shooting from a helo where we need to consider the reverse lead on a stationary target while while the bird is moving and not a stationary platform. Of course we need to consider the path of the bullet or the parabolic type of curve given the high angle and speeds involved, but the reverse lead is often times the more complex issue for a shooter especially when estimating and factoring helo speed. I was trying to simplify the explanation in my earlier post. Like anything else practice and experience helps here and some are more of naturals than others.

kmrtnsn
02-25-12, 19:59

Just wondering, is that the blade frozen in mid-rotation?
Must have been a pretty good camera?

Helo rotors are not spinning so fast that a $60 pocket camera couldn't "fix" the blades in rotation.

Buck1122
02-26-12, 21:16
Now, that is one kick as* photo. Just as some info - if you arent military or LEO and have never shot out of a helo their are a couple things you can do to help you hit the target.
1. Put a strap in the door to rest the muzzle on which adds to stability and less bouncing
2. Go take a look at HITRON (the USCG's helo's that carry eveyrthing from a M249, M14 with scope/laser/IR, and a Barrett 50 cal to smash engine blocks of go fast dope boats like swiss cheese.

Other than that, shooting from helos is a ton of fun. I miss it alot....it aint easy and you feel like a clown the first few times you try hitting targets but once you get the feel of it there is nothing cooler. Maybe shooting a minigun out the door but thats it.

Happy shooting. I hope some lucky jihadi is on the receiving end of that guy.

Here in Texas there are hunting ranhes where you can go up in a small R-22 helo and shoot swine. Thats on my list to do before I die.

Buck1122
02-27-12, 16:03
Oh, and by the looks of it.....somebody or something is about to,get their clock cleaned on the ground.cthemonly thing better would be a miniguns dropping 4,000 rounds a minute of incendiary ammo.

Nice pic man.