PDA

View Full Version : Is the Switchblock effective/worth it

Orange-Fox
02-12-12, 00:03
First of all I'm very sensitive to most chemical fumes, if I walk down the detergent/bleach isle in the supermarket my eyes tear up and I'll have a hacking couch for 5 or so hours and the last time shot a friends ar15 w/yhm phantom i couldn't shoot for 20 minutes.

So with that in mind I need a little advice, my current plans for my SBR+Suppressed upper are
Surefire Mini
12.5in barrel
plus
Vltor A5 recoil system

my question is, would it be very beneficial(less tears for me) to get a barrel with the Noveske Switchblock or would I be better served just playing around with different buffer weights?

Thank You.

Iraqgunz
02-12-12, 00:52
For one, I would look at making a gas buster type modified charging handle. Use the search button.

Second- I would look at using something like FrogLube.

I-M4-REAL
02-12-12, 06:07
That's sucks & is VERY strange!I would go to a doctor that might be able to help you figure out what the problem is. THINK about it.....But buying a "speicial" lube is NOT going to help keep your eyes from tearing up or whatever else happens to you while shooting any weapon? Wearing a gas mask might help you keep the burnt powder fumes away but would not be very comfortable and may be difficult to aim, plus you know people WILL look at you kinda weird but then again who gives a f**k what people think.Have you ever noticed that almost every reply throughout M4carbine.net someone is always trying to pimp/sell you something? Sorry, but you will NOT find your answer to your problem here my friend.Do NOT give up!!!

WS6
02-12-12, 09:30
For one, I would look at making a gas buster type modified charging handle. Use the search button.

Second- I would look at using something like FrogLube.

+1, and closed-base bullets.

Raven Armament
02-12-12, 09:44
Definitely search around for gas buster type charging handles. I've been looking for a few years and still haven't found one that I like. Definitely use bullets that have copper bases and not traditional FMJ with exposed lead base.

Iraqgunz
02-12-12, 10:22
If you have an issue with M4C or the belief that someone is "pimping" something to someone, then you don't need to visit.

There is a modification that many have done with RTV and charging handles that appears (based on their statements) to help with the excess gas.

I recommended FrogLube simply because it is not a petroleum based product and is biodegradable which may help him.

That's sucks & is VERY strange!I would go to a doctor that might be able to help you figure out what the problem is. THINK about it.....But buying a "speicial" lube is NOT going to help keep your eyes from tearing up or whatever else happens to you while shooting any weapon? Wearing a gas mask might help you keep the burnt powder fumes away but would not be very comfortable and may be difficult to aim, plus you know people WILL look at you kinda weird but then again who gives a f**k what people think.Have you ever noticed that almost every reply throughout M4carbine.net someone is always trying to pimp/sell you something? Sorry, but you will NOT find your answer to your problem here my friend.Do NOT give up!!!

WS6
02-12-12, 10:24
If you have an issue with M4C or the belief that someone is "pimping" something to someone, then you don't need to visit.

There is a modification that many have done with RTV and charging handles that appears (based on their statements) to help with the excess gas.

I recommended FrogLube simply because it is not a petroleum based product and is biodegradable which may help him.

I think the "problem" was that you are also a dealer/distributor.

However, that doesn't change that fact that you're right.

It is the best non-toxic lubricant in every way that I have found, and god knows I looked for a way to discredit it. When my suppressor finally gets approved, I hope to fully realize the benefits of it's unique properties.

Further, this is a public forum. People ask questions, and receive answers. Why the hell WOULDN'T someone try to impress upon someone else that the solution that they have found, would also work for them? What kind of answer would one expect?

You have been here less than 2 months, made 3 posts, and yet talk about "almost every reply" on this site?
If noone gave a **** what others thought, as you put it, why then ask the question?

OP cares, OP even thanked people for responding in his post, before they did, and OP got some great advice/info.

308sako
02-12-12, 10:24
They help a lot, but there is still a small amount of gas which cannot be redirected from the nose of the shooter... However, when firing the rifle in the "OFF" position... it's like a bolt-action, and there is virtually no gas directed to the shooter.

Setup is an 18" Rock Creek rifle gas length, SPR-M4 silencer.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/DSCN0042.jpg

Iraqgunz
02-12-12, 10:28
True. But, anyone who knows me and knows my post would know that I would never recommend something based on anything more than it's performance. I also wouldn't be affiliated with FrogLube if I didn't think it was good stuff.

I think the "problem" was that you are also a dealer/distributor.

However, that doesn't change that fact that you're right.

It is the best non-toxic lubricant in every way that I have found, and god knows I looked for a way to discredit it. When my suppressor finally gets approved, I hope to fully realize the benefits of it's unique properties.

Further, this is a public forum. People ask questions, and receive answers. Why the hell WOULDN'T someone try to impress upon someone else that the solution that they have found, would also work for them? What kind of answer would one expect?

WS6
02-12-12, 10:30
True. But, anyone who knows me and knows my post would know that I would never recommend something based on anything more than it's performance. I also wouldn't be affiliated with FrogLube if I didn't think it was good stuff.

Like I said...who cares if you sell it. You gave solid advice on a solid product when an applicable question was asked. It's not like you run thread to thread saying "It cures jams, never-mind changing to something other than your beloved H3 buffer...try my vunderlube!"

I also now agree, it is good stuff, in every way I have angled in at it from.

GlockWRX
02-12-12, 10:37
I will have to try the Froglube.

I am in a similar situation to OP. But my problem is that I am left handed. I don't get a lot of gas coming out of the charging handle area (RTV trick), but I get a lot of gas from the chamber area.

Does a switchblock reduce gas from the chamber area?

WS6
02-12-12, 10:50
I will have to try the Froglube.

I am in a similar situation to OP. But my problem is that I am left handed. I don't get a lot of gas coming out of the charging handle area (RTV trick), but I get a lot of gas from the chamber area.

Does a switchblock reduce gas from the chamber area?

Back-pressure in the bore related to the longer time required for pressure to drop, considering the suppressor, is better contained due to the change in the time required to complete the sequence of the rifle cycling, but by and large, no. Nothing can change that except turning it "off", which will allow the casing to act as a "plug" and prevent the crap from entering the upper, somewhat.

ViperRy
02-13-12, 17:03
I have a switchblock and it definitely reduces the amount of gas coming back when on suppressed, however if you're highly sensitive like you say, I doubt the switchblock will change your reaction.

ginarik
02-16-12, 14:25
The only option that I can think of is shooting in the "OFF" position on the Switchblock just like 308sako mentioned. No gas is cycled back when in the "OFF" position.