PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about 10mm

Bowser
02-12-12, 03:15
I've been eyeballing a Glock 20 or 20SF for quite some time and I'm ready to get one. But before I buy the pistol, I would like some insight about the round. I've read little blurbs here and there about SAAMI spec ammo I can buy online and FBI-lite stuff. So what should I know about 10mm?

vigilant2
02-12-12, 04:40
There was a pretty big thread in the reloading/ammunition section recently on the 10mm. I own a G20 ported and also the 6inch glock
hunting barrel. In my opinion ammo choices are limited if you are not reloading (I don't). Ammo is expensive relatively speaking.
I purchased it primarly as a woods/camping/hiking gun or hog hunting
secondary. If you're looking for the hottest true 10mm rounds most of the hardcore 10mm guys that don't reload will steer you towards either Buffalo Bore or Double Tap ammunition for this round, with Buffalo Bore being the better of the two.
Haven't purchased any Buffalo Bore ammo yet, but will soon. Subjectively speaking I've found the Hornady 200gr XTP to be the hottest commercially available 10mm round, followed by their 180gr
offering. I've chosen to slowly stockpile those 2 types of 10mm ammo.

Hogsgunwild
02-12-12, 05:30
I've been eyeballing a Glock 20 or 20SF for quite some time and I'm ready to get one. But before I buy the pistol, I would like some insight about the round. I've read little blurbs here and there about SAAMI spec ammo I can buy online and FBI-lite stuff. So what should I know about 10mm?

What are you going to do with it? I ask because if you plan on it being a primary carry / practice gun, the cost of ammo is exorbitant and the quality defensive ammo is lacking, often just bullets designed to expand properly at .40 S&W velocities in down-loaded 10MM rounds.

I had a Glock 20 for 12 years, a G29 for a couple years and still have a moderately customized Delta Gold Cup. It is a fun caliber but I have never felt that the 10MM did enough for me over what a .40 S&W can accomplish. I believe you can get a .40 S&W barrel for the G20 but don't know how well the mags for the 10 will feed the .40 ammo.

Not trying to discourage you as the 10MM in a G20 is a great set-up but plan on paying basically twice as much for ammo and expect to order most of it over the internet to have more choices and find better prices. It is a fun round to reload as there are a lot of options available but I don't make the time for reloading these days thus I don't shoot the 10MM much anymore. When I want some ass, I pull out my .44 Magnum anyhow as it dwarfs the ten.

Bowser
02-12-12, 05:44
I just want a 10mm pistol (that isn't a 1911). I don't know why, but I just do lol. I understand that the round is not really cost effective.

Hogsgunwild
02-12-12, 06:10
Totally understand. Get it, you'll love it!

caddishatch
02-12-12, 07:00
I own a G20 and it is by far my favorite Glock to shoot. Too bad the ammo isn't cheaper. My dad reloads ammo for me. I mainly use mine out camping or hunting in the outdoors. It is also what I take when I do extended whitewater trips. Doubletap and Buffalo Bore are the best true 10mm ammo choices for true 10mm feel. For hollow points I like the 175 gr. Winchester Silver Tips. You will love it.

drsal
02-12-12, 07:16
I picked up a Glock 29, basically as an impulse buy, a few months ago. I carry it when I hike about the North Georgia woods, and when I wonder about the Ocala Nat'l forest here in Fl. Any tremendous advantage over a .40? .357? or .45? Maybe/maybe not, never did any exhaustive search on the ballistics. I just wanted one :D !

dmaxfireman
02-12-12, 07:25
My G20sf is great. Comfortable, and very manageable recoil with the 4.6" barrel. It is my nightstand gun with a TLR-2 and a spare mag.

Here is some ballistic info on the 10mm double tap ammo, not tested by me but it is what influenced my reloading for this caliber.

DoubleTap 10mm
135gr JHP @ 1600fps - 11.0" / .70" frag nasty
155gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1475fps - 13.5" / .88"
165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 14.25" / 1.02"
165gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1425fps - 14.75" / .82"
180gr Golden Saber JHP @ 1330fps - 16.0" / .85"
180gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1300fps - 15.25" / .96"
200gr XTP @ 1250fps - 19.5" / .72"
230gr Equalizer @ 1040fps - 11.0" and 17.0" / .62" and .40"

ryr8828
02-12-12, 07:40
I've been looking at the glock 10mm's. Is there any reason to get the compensated version? Worth the extra money?

Hogsgunwild
02-12-12, 10:35
I have not shot a compensated G20 but the standard G20 is soft recoiling so I would not bother with the compensated one especially considering what it might do to your sight picture at night.

If you just planned on competing with the gun it might worth it but not for carry, in my opinion.

M4arc
02-12-12, 10:53
The G20 and G20SF is an absolute blast to shoot (no pun intended). Even though I don't own one yet it is by far my favorite Glock to shoot.

Jack-O
02-12-12, 11:07
recoil is very manageable and a compensated version is not needed. you could always add a threaded barrel with a compensator later if you desired.

Underwood, Hunting Shack, Buffalo Bore all load decent 10mm ammo. Double tap is known for not advertising thier velocities correctly. in 10mm you will NOT see the velocities they claim, generally they are 100+fps below advertised. Underwood is not tho. and neither is buffalo bore (generally).

10mm is funny in that the big names all under load it and are a waste of money if you want the real power that 10mm is capable of.

I have found you can get 10mm pretty regular for 35 to 45 cents a round.

oh, and dont let folks tell you it's some magical death ray. it's really just a 40 with a 25-30% increase in power. it's best with the 200gr projectiles or with the barnes copper clocking pretty fast IMO.

WillBrink
02-12-12, 11:09

:D

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/BulletinGellatinComparison.jpg

R0CKETMAN
02-12-12, 11:27
Ammo is expensive and it's one of the best all around handgun calibers ever produced.

My vote is for the G20sf over the 29. I've owned both and carry the 20 daily.

WillBrink
02-12-12, 11:57
Ammo is expensive and it's one of the best all around handgun calibers ever produced.

I guess one could say built from the ground up based on a much more modern understanding of ballistics then other rnds. But, as with everything, a trade off as the recoil can be more then many can manage well and of course cost of ammo as you said.

Hogsgunwild
02-12-12, 13:00
I used to buy half cases of UMC in a green and white box. It used to be very reasonably priced. Very accurate in my DGC and they are 180gr. @ 1200 FPS.
That doesn't sound great but when you find how much the Buffalo Bore and other boutique rounds cost and then find out how many big manufacturers have weak (1000 to 1100 FPS, 180gr.) but overpriced ammo on the market you start to appreciate it.

I found the inexpensive Bitterroot Valley ammo was absolutely crap out of my Colt. So inaccurate that I have half a case just sitting. I figure sometime when I want to do close up speed drills out in the desert I'll burn it up but it was absolutely worthless to shoot. Might work better in the Glock but I would never buy this crap again.