PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Compensator Advice

McTerry
02-12-12, 03:30
I am finding myself drooling over the Battlecomp 2.0. The more I watch videos on it and read about it, the more I want one to replace the standard A2 FH on a 16" Mid Length Rifle.

However, I am not really sure if it will be that beneficial for me. With a bullet button, a ten round magazine (Thanks CA), and a semi auto rifle, is there really that much of a difference for someone who is basically a cardboard killing, target shooting, weekend wannabe, like myself?

I'm trying not to add a ton of things to my rifle and keep it fairly simple and to the point. However, if something is a good upgrade then I am definitely willing to go that route. Hoping to get some feedback from others who may have some experience with muzzle devices or who are just more knowledgeable than myself on the subject. Thanks.

aaron_c
02-12-12, 10:56
Why the BC 2.0? I think the only difference between it and the 1.0 is that the 2.0 uses shims to index it, which allows for a suppressor to be used with it.

Ratfink
02-12-12, 11:12
surefire brakes for me but i have 2 surefire suppressors

McTerry
02-12-12, 12:48
Why the BC 2.0? I think the only difference between it and the 1.0 is that the 2.0 uses shims to index it, which allows for a suppressor to be used with it.

Open to other muzzle devices as well, such as the Surefire MB556K and others. Just looking for general advice on if they are even worth the cost for someone who will never be doing full auto firing or any type of competition shooting. You're right though, I should probably go with the 1.0 and use the crush washer instead of the shims fiasco.

surefire brakes for me but i have 2 surefire suppressors

Suppressors are a no no for us Californian Civilians, for now...

aaron_c
02-12-12, 13:23
I ordered a BC 1.0 on Friday, it seems to be the best all-around muzzle device for reasonable flash suppression, recoil compensation, and alleviating the muzzle blast issues that most 'compensators' have.

Tzook
02-12-12, 13:39
I also wondered about the 1.0. Doesn't it have the exact dimensions as the A2?

Surf
02-12-12, 14:17
It really depends on what you want from the device. If you are only worried about compensation there are better options for half the price. If you want to keep your shooting neighbors relatively more content while having compensation then look towards the BC. However with a BC you will still upset some people if you are killing paper on a range with benches and people shooting next to you.

McTerry
02-12-12, 21:39
It really depends on what you want from the device...

Good advice Surf, thanks... I normally don't shoot at a range with close benches and what not but I can see I need to hit the Search function on here to look at some more muzzle devices as well as figure out exactly what I am looking for.
Great Youtube channel as well.

blasternank
02-12-12, 21:52
You ever look at the F2 Dreadnaught? It works really well. You can find them at brownells.

McTerry
02-12-12, 21:56
You ever look at the F2 Dreadnaught? It works really well. You can find them at brownells.

Thank you. I'm basically just looking for something to keep me on target without too much of an increase in noise. Flash is not a concern at this time. I'll do some digging and see what I can find on the Dreadnought.

wahoo95
02-12-12, 22:17
In all seriousness I say save your money. Comps are most effective when shooting at speed. You are limited to 10rd mags which really limits your ability to shoot fast. Im gonna assume the bulk I'd your shooting is done from the bench blasting paper, so its doubtful you would notice enough difference to make it worth your money.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

VIP3R 237
02-12-12, 22:31
Ugh sorry deleted after I realized the op is a ca resident and cant use the pws triad.

pira114
02-12-12, 22:50
There's plenty of places in Ca where you can go to practice drills. Either paid for or on your own.

You can also go out of state and legally use high cap mags and a regular mag release at a good class.

Don't let those things limit you. Figure out what you want and get it. The battlecomp is a good device. As are many others. And nothing wrong with the A2. It's all in what you want and intend to do with the rifle.

If you're seriously just gonna put 100 rounds a year down a paper range, then save your money.

TangoSauce
02-13-12, 00:56
I'd say that by choosing a middy you've done one of the best things you can do.

The BattleComp is a solid choice though. I also live in Kalifornia, and I have a KAC triple tap on one rifle and a BattleComp on another....the BattleComp is every bit as good.

McTerry
02-13-12, 01:01
Most of my shooting is done on BLM land out in the foothills. The likelihood of me making it out of state to shoot or even to take a real carbine course is not very high at this time due to financial obligations.

I do plan on putting at least a thousand rounds down range a month (when possible). I am hoping to become efficient with my rifle and not just use it as something to take out of the safe and show off from time to time.

My ultimate goal is to soak in as much as I can while at home via training videos and articles and then put it to the test when I get to the "range". I don't want to be unable to manipulate my rifle in the case that I do Need it to defend my life.

Anyhow I think I am getting off topic of my own thread. Just thought a little background on what I am wanting to accomplish, as well as my learning intentions and such might help people lend advice.

Just doing some searches here after posting has already stripped the 2.0 from my wish list and replaced it with the 1.0 if I do go with a BC. However, I have also learned that I might want to forgo the muzzle device until I put some serious time in with the rifle and get a feel for it without one.

Thank you for taking the time to reply though, I know it can be a little aggravating helping out us new AR owners and I just wanted you all to know I do appreciate all the help.

pira114
02-13-12, 01:37
However, I have also learned that I might want to forgo the muzzle device until I put some serious time in with the rifle and get a feel for it without one.

Bingo. You're miles ahead of most with that attitude.

evotistic
02-13-12, 19:55
Take a look at Spike's Dynacomp. I have one pinned on my 14.5" Afghan barrel and I like it. As far as I understand it, it is virtually on par with the BC, but nearly half the price.

aaron_c
02-13-12, 20:37
I agree with getting to know the A2 very very well before trying anything else. Not to say that if you like the A2 you should drop the idea of a muzzle device, but you will at least have a solid basis for comparison in the future if you do get another one later.