PDA

View Full Version : Storm Lake barrels for the M&P

RogerinTPA
02-12-12, 05:10
Anyone running a Storm Lake Match barrel in an M&P? If so, what's your opinion on it?

goteron
02-12-12, 05:48
I have 4 of them, all threaded, 1 in a pro, 1 .45, and 2 FS. They all have been great, have Improved accuracy. I haven't had any feeding issues with any of them. And now that they melonite, you wont have to send it to someone else to get that done.

RogerinTPA
02-12-12, 09:48
I have 4 of them, all threaded, 1 in a pro, 1 .45, and 2 FS. They all have been great, have Improved accuracy. I haven't had any feeding issues with any of them. And now that they melonite, you wont have to send it to someone else to get that done.

How do you define "Improved accuracy"? What were the group sizes before and after installing the barrel? What was the range distance and type of ammo being used?

C4IGrant
02-12-12, 09:55
I have one and never found any accuracy difference.

If you are looking for improved accuracy, you will need to wait for a barrel that either requires a gunsmith fit (or semi-drop in).

I am going to talk to the Storm Lake folks and also KART about offering some stuff in the future. While Bar-Sto is my first choice, they just cannot produce enough of them in a timely manner.

C4

RogerinTPA
02-12-12, 10:30
Thanks Grant.

I was looking into the Bar-sto barrels by Randy at Apex, but the wait for them to be commercially available is basically an unknown guesstimate at this point. I had hoped that the Storm Lake barrels would be a viable alternative in the interim, and hoping someone had some quantitative data, but I guess not.

goteron
02-12-12, 11:19
I have data, no time to post. Short answer, no change on .45 or 9 pro. Full size 9mm (2) showed accuracy improvement from 6" groups at 25y with WWB to about 3" groups barricade supported. Only shooter was me.

Not a substantial enough improvement to switch barrels on accuracy alone. I wanted threaded barrels.

I have been meaning to do a documented test on them, just haven't had time.

It's a sample set of 2 guns and 1 shooter, so YMMV, neither gun had early unlocking issues.

I'm sure you'll get some more info from some other users