PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Installing/Moving my LMT SOPMOD

Lawdog-1
02-12-12, 06:12
I just installed my new LMT FDE SOPMOD on a BCM Buffer tube and had to bump it to slide on the tube and slide allway down and had to hook my vertical grip on the vise to slide all way back off. What should I do? Buy a LMT Buffer tube or spray silicon on the buffer tube?

Sticks
02-12-12, 06:27
You have a mix of Commercial RE and Mil Spec going on?

phenom00
02-12-12, 06:42
Are you sure you using a mil spec buffer tube? I don't think the lmt stock comes in commercial size but this sounds like what's happening. Then gain, if it's BCM it should be milspec too...:confused:

Sticks
02-12-12, 06:47
Next is diagnostics 101.

Now that you have installed and removed, check for any wear marks on the RE and inside the stock, no matter how faint - if something is dragging, it will leave a mark.

See if there are any burrs.

I am not familiar with that stock, are there adjustment screws for tension?

If you can not distinguish any marks, spray the RE with an aerosol powder foot spray and try again. Anything that is hanging will wipe away the powder.

Lawdog-1
02-12-12, 07:02
the tube is a Mil-Spec BCM and I had my older Black,LMT SOPMOD stocks that worked tight,but slide up & down. I have beat real hard the new FDE on the BCM tube and hook it on a 2x4 in my vice and pull real hard.

Lawdog-1
02-12-12, 07:09
I was thinking the LMT tube might be a little smaller in the O.D. and fit better on and off.

madcratebuilder
02-12-12, 07:26
The LMT SOPMOD has four raised 'rails' on the inside. These fit very tight to the RE. The SOPMOD is suppose to fit tight, no rattle.

If it's so tight you have to beat it on and off then you could use some 600-1000 grit paper on a 1"+ dowel and CAREFULLY sand the rials, or buy a LMT RE.

I have a SOPMOD on a ArmaLite RE and it has very tight, but has become better with time.

motorolahamm
02-12-12, 08:29
Is it a LMT sopmod stock or a B5 stock?. Know there was some out of spec fit issues with a run of B5 stocks

Lawdog-1
02-12-12, 13:05
motorolahamm, Read Title and 1st. Post.

motorolahamm
02-12-12, 13:37
Yeah sorry just everyone refers to the sopmod stock as the lmt sopmod

buckjay
02-12-12, 13:47
BCM receiver extensions are known to be the larger of the lot (helps when fitting Magpul stocks, etc) but I can see how it would be tight on a SOPMOD.

I've never experienced one as tight as you've mentioned, but they do loosen up with a little bit of use (all stocks do). Do you have another gun to put the new SOPMOD on? If not it seems like your best bet is to LIGHTLY sand it like mentioned above with a dowel rod. But I'd be careful not to take too much, its probably just a few thousandth of an inch that needs to go.

Stickman
02-12-12, 13:59
Is it a LMT sopmod stock or a B5 stock?. Know there was some out of spec fit issues with a run of B5 stocks

Lots of people posting on the internet who really have no idea what they are saying, so this was my question as well. My next question was who the stock was brought through, as I've seen plenty of people post about something only to have them comment later on that it was from a non name import company (equals airsoft).

LD1- How sure are you that it is a legit stock? If your old LMT fit and this one doesn't, it sounds like you already know something is wrong. I wouldn't sand anything, I would send it back if its so bad you can't use it.

Lawdog-1
02-12-12, 16:52
I bought it from DSG Arms.

motorolahamm
02-12-12, 19:04
If its that tight i would contact cust svc, or Contact LMT to see if they can replace it.

alienb1212
02-12-12, 19:36
I just installed my new LMT FDE SOPMOD on a BCM Buffer tube and had to bump it to slide on the tube and slide allway down and had to hook my vertical grip on the vise to slide all way back off. What should I do? Buy a LMT Buffer tube or spray silicon on the buffer tube?

Are you 100% sure it is actual LMT? I have several black versions of this stock that are USGI knockoffs that dont seem to fit right on milspec or civ spec AR buffer tubes.

Buyer Beware
The following notice is being posted for your protection. We have been fielding calls about a SOPMOD buttstock (NSN 1005-01-544-9825) which looks like ours. MFR 58VQ8 IS NOT LMT. Our cage code is 3W544.

(Figure 1) is a genuine Lewis Machine & Tool SOPMOD Buttstock. Look for the genuine LMT marking on the under side of the release lever. Also note the placement of the Patent Pending (Figure 2) on the genuine Lewis Machine & Tool SOPMOD is on the flat above the release lever under the cheek weld. Not in the center of the flat. (Figure 3)

The counterfeit stock (Figure 4) has 192000 13020680 MFR 56V08 and the underside of the release lever has no marking. (Figure 5)

<edit> Looks like I was beat to it, didn't bother to read all the way down, but here's the article for your information regardless</edit>

Ghost__1
02-12-12, 19:48
Are you 100% sure it is actual LMT? I have several black versions of this stock that are USGI knockoffs that dont seem to fit right on milspec or civ spec AR buffer tubes.

<edit> Looks like I was beat to it, didn't bother to read all the way down, but here's the article for your information regardless</edit>

+1 To this. We had about a hundred of these counterfeit stocks in my unit alone. I contacted lmt before the article came out and they gave me the breakdown that someone had copied and received nsn numbers and somehow on the army supply lists.

Hope that yours is legit tho.

Hunter Rose
02-12-12, 22:33
Or it may just be really tight. My last LMT SOPMOD was extremely tight on a DD RE. It initially took both hands and a foot to get the damn thing to move. Sounds just like your experience. They loosen up with use though. Slide it back and forth a bunch of times and then pull the stock off the RE. There will be marks where it is wearing. Clean this plastic smear off the RE and repeat. After awhile it should slide easily enough. That was my experience anyway.

WEC
02-12-12, 22:52
Or it may just be really tight. My last LMT SOPMOD was extremely tight on a DD RE. It initially took both hands and a foot to get the damn thing to move. Sounds just like your experience. They loosen up with use though. Slide it back and forth a bunch of times and then pull the stock off the RE. There will be marks where it is wearing. Clean this plastic smear off the RE and repeat. After awhile it should slide easily enough. That was my experience anyway.

+1 to this. In fact, mine was with the FDE sopmod as well. It will loosen up over time but still remain snug.

Ghost__1
02-12-12, 23:26

Right. Sorry OP I was going to add that I don't think that they had a problem with any counterfeit stocks. As far as I've read those were only black. Sorry for the confusion.

Lawdog-1
02-13-12, 07:53
After being forced on my BCM tube, I tried it on a Old LMT 5-Postion Tube and it a little tight but, works fine. I will have to get a LMT 6-postion tube.

motorolahamm
02-13-12, 08:38
good deal man glad you were able to resolve your issue.

motorolahamm
02-13-12, 08:43

Yeah Cage code 56V08 is B5 systems they hold the new contract for the sopmod stock, LMT was trying to pass it like these were counterfit. also the b5 stocks if you will notice do not have the swivel adap on them, because it was never part of the contract specs . lmt came up with that idea on there own as far as i am aware there were none of the version 2 stocks ever fielded under govt. contract anyway.

Lawdog-1
02-13-12, 16:30
My LMT is the real deal and I own two black older models LMT SOPMOD'S