PDA

View Full Version : Optic Dilemma

crowell33
02-12-12, 07:37
So, I've recently purchased an Armalite AR-30 in .300 Win Mag and have spent two days so far researching optics. I'd like to keep it around $1000ish, and these are what I'm looking at so far.

Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50
Leupold LR/T M5 Mark 4 4.5-14x50
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50
Swarovski Z3 4-12x50

I have access to a 1000 yard range, so you can bet I'll be doing plenty of that. What I'm interested in is bang-for-the-buck. For example, is the Mark 4 worth the cost over a VX-3? Is there another optic I should be looking at? (other than a $1600 Nightforce).

A few people have told me I should look at the Vortex Viper. Any thoughts on that?

Appreciate the help. Thank you!

austinN4
02-12-12, 08:00
What I'm interested in is bang-for-the-buck.

A few people have told me I should look at the Vortex Viper. Any thoughts on that?
Yes, you should at least consider the Vortex Viper PST in either 4-16 or 6-24. Lots of features for the $ and great service if you need it from Vortex.

I like my 4-16 FFP mil/mil, but sometimes wonder if I should have bought the 6-24 instead (old eyes). I bought mine from Scott at Liberty Optics and would buy again from him without hesitation.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/viper_pst_riflescopes

crowell33
02-12-12, 09:05
Yes, you should at least consider the Vortex Viper PST in either 4-16 or 6-24. Lots of features for the $ and great service if you need it from Vortex.

I like my 4-16 FFP mil/mil, but sometimes wonder if I should have bought the 6-24 instead (old eyes). I bought mine from Scott at Liberty Optics and would buy again from him without hesitation.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/viper_pst_riflescopes

Is it worth the extra money to go with the FFP model?

bp7178
02-12-12, 09:36
Are you going to be ranging and/or using hold overs at various magnification?

Jack-O
02-12-12, 11:31
Ok, understand that this comes from first hand expereince shooting and buying these optics.

the quality of optics over $1000 is worth the price of entry. you just bought a good gun, expect to spend the same or more on a decent optic. Period.

there is some stuff under $1k that is usable but the clarity and quality needed to shoot longer ranges consistently are why we spend so much on good optics.

the magic zone is the $1000-$2000 range. below that we dont get what we need, above that we dont get the return on investment we should.

advice:

-head on over to snipers hide and watch the optics for sale section like a hawk. sooner or later you will find a scope that you can use at a decent price. Nightforce will upgrade your scope to your specs for you if you want.

- I hate FFP in my riflescope. I want the crosshairs to be the same size all the time. When I range something I want it on max mag anyway, so why bother with FFP? It's great in my spotting scope tho!!

-I have old eyes and even at 1300 yards I hanven't (yet) wished for anything higher than 15-18x mag. but that 56mm objective sure does make everything brighter. a 300wm is THE place for the big objectives and clear quality glass.

-a smaller than 50mm objective will not be able to take full advantage of a 20x + magnification. exit pupil will be too small and the picture will get to dim to use effectively. stick with a <20x upper end on the riflescope.

-Vortex makes some really nice optics and you are most likely to find a decent usable scope for under $1k in their Viper PST line, but stick to the lower magnifications.

-dont buy a sporting scope. you WANT external adjustments.

it's been said a million times, but the optic is NOT the place to try and save money. it needs what it needs and that just costs what it costs.