PDA

View Full Version : So many Rem 700s!

Blstr88
02-12-12, 08:53
I've been trying to research Remington 700s to make a purchase in the next few weeks, but there is SO much info...

Looking for an "entry" precision bolt action rifle - but something that I can build up as I shoot it more and more...

I've been browsing the shelves at lots of local shops and it seems there are a ton of various Remington 700 models! So many different options.

Are they all the same as far as the action/barrel goes...just put into different stocks? I definitely want to stick with .308, but otherwise I just want something basic I can start shooting and upgrade as I go.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-12-12, 10:05
If you not stuck on rem consider a howa or a tikka. They have more features from the factory. THere are just as many after market parts and they are of better quality.

That said I suppose you could consider rems in diffrent grades of refinement. Most are more or less the same qualty wise untill you step up to the higher end models. The sendaro seems to shoot better than the pss series and have a better finish to the metal.

In the lower end models the machining looks and feels rougher, bolts have more play barrels are hit and miss quality wise. You may get a shooter you may not.

If you get one of the two I mentioned above you going to get a better product and I have not seen one that will not shoot. If you go with a rem the first thing I would do is send it to Kevin Cram at Montoure county rifles, spend your 250$ and have the rem machined and polished to what it should have been from the factory.

I would not buy a rem 700 for anything other than to pull it apart and use the action for a build and thats only if I got a super deal on it. The reason why is after shipping and gunsmithing fees to true it I could have just bought a custom action for the same price.
Jon

Alric
02-12-12, 10:27
Tikka does not have nearly the aftermarket as Remington. They may have one or two manufacturers popping up here and there for stocks, DBM and maybe a few other parts, but Remington has dozens of manufacturers making replacements for pretty much every part of the rifle.

My experience with Tikka involves holding a Lite model at the gun store. I was researching one as a possible build rifle. They do seem to be better quality for the price and you may discover that you don't need to change much about it once you get it home.

Having said all of that, ICANHITHIMMAN touched on an interesting topic: the total cost of the Remington. When I was looking for my next precision rifle I laid out the total cost of each rifle and all of the upgrades I was looking at. You can hit $2k really easily replacing nearly all of the parts (keeping the barrel, even) on a Remington before adding a scope. $2000 puts you just a few hundred dollars from a used Sako TRG or AIAE. That always gave me pause, and in the end I put the Remington off and found a Sako at a nice price.

BrigandTwoFour
02-12-12, 10:57
I've been in the same position, a bit overwhelmed by all the possible options.

I was all set to pick up a Howa 1500 with a 20" heavy barrel. There are a lot of good things to say about the Howa and Tikka options. Out of the box, they will serve you well (and probably better than the Remington). They both have a lot of great options for stocks and chassis (check out XLR Industries and Roedale Precision). The Tikka comes with a great trigger, barrel, and an action that is pretty much already trued from the factory. The Howa has a great Timney trigger option.

I ended up, however, picking up a 700 AAC-SD. The Remington is a known entity. There are parts everywhere for them, gunsmiths know how to work on them.

Would it be cheaper in the long run to start with a Stiller custom action, buy a barrel and stock, call a smith, and call it a day? Sure.

But that would end up being a lot of money for something I'm not even sure I'd enjoy. So why not approach it the same way we tell new people to approach AR 15s? Buy a basic Remington, shoot it. As time passes and skill increases, you will figure out if you actually like the precision rifle game and what you would like to improve on your rifle. Anything can be done to a 700 to suit your needs, anything.

I figure that if I really enjoy the precision game and want to reach out a bit further than a .308 will allow me, I can go custom on a 300 WM.

austinN4
02-12-12, 11:30
Looking for an "entry" precision bolt action rifle - but something that I can build up as I shoot it more and more...
If you are set on an factory entry level R700, I recommend the SPS Tactical AAC-SD: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

Or, an entry level R700 build from Mel at Sniper Central:
http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=2

If you are willing to consider Howa you should also look at one of Mel's builds:
http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=1

Blstr88
02-12-12, 12:46
I saw a really nice Rem 700 in a custom stock at a LGS, but he was asking $2k for it...

I didnt ask much about it, but when I go back I'll get the specs. How much of that is the Remington, and how much is the stock?

I guess what Im asking is: what does a really nice "sniper" stock cost?

If I can get that exact same rifle he has for $2k for $700 because it doesnt have that awesome stock I'd rather start there and pick out my own stock down the road. Im not too concerned about a custom stock right off the bat, any basic rifle stock will suffice...I just want to make sure the action/barrel are good to keep me happy and get me started off.

Thanks guys, I'll take a closer look at Howa and Tikka as well. I was pretty well set on the Rem 700 because of its widespread support, but I'll certainly consider something else if its a better "out of the box" deal.

BrigandTwoFour
02-12-12, 15:10
I saw a really nice Rem 700 in a custom stock at a LGS, but he was asking $2k for it...

I didnt ask much about it, but when I go back I'll get the specs. How much of that is the Remington, and how much is the stock?

I guess what Im asking is: what does a really nice "sniper" stock cost?

If I can get that exact same rifle he has for $2k for $700 because it doesnt have that awesome stock I'd rather start there and pick out my own stock down the road. Im not too concerned about a custom stock right off the bat, any basic rifle stock will suffice...I just want to make sure the action/barrel are good to keep me happy and get me started off.

Thanks guys, I'll take a closer look at Howa and Tikka as well. I was pretty well set on the Rem 700 because of its widespread support, but I'll certainly consider something else if its a better "out of the box" deal.

Off the top of my head, stocks you can look into include:

Accuracy International AICS $900
http://www.eurooptic.com/aics-stocks.aspx

XLR Industries Evolution Chassis $720
http://www.xlrindustries.com/evolution.html

Manners composite stocks (these can be purchased with an internal chassis) $655 - $1000+
http://mannersstocks.com/

Those are my top picks. But you can check out Wild Dog, Roedale Precision, HS Precision, Bell & Carlson, and many others. There should be a stock to fit just about any budget.

The sniper central package is actually a great starting place if you want to jump right into shooting without worrying about upgrades to a basic rifle.

D.O.A.F.S.
02-12-12, 17:03
Take a look at the 700 LTR, seems like what you may be after.http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm . I think I gave around $850 for mine new but have seen them for $650-750 used. I don't know what kind of distances you're looking to shoot, one mans long range is another mans chip shot. I don't have anywhere I can get out past 400 yards but at that distance, I can hit a 10 inch gong all day long, there again I know for some guys thats not that far. My only advise would be what ever your choice of rifle (everyone has an opinion) DON"T go cheap on the base, rings, and glass. Figure to spend alot more on glass then on the rifle, good glass on an average rifle will do wonders, a POS glass on a high end gun will group like a POS. I have a couple guys I shoot with regular that have REAL nice high end guns but cheaped out on the base, rings and glass and my Remington out shoots them everytime. IMHO

Pappabear
02-12-12, 19:04
Yet one more option. I am a big fan the Rem 700 5R threaded. It comes with upgraded stock, SS 5R barrel and threaded. It will be about $1,100.

I was just posting my love for the 5R in another thread. Its a little better than just a stock rig, but still needs to bedded and a Timney trigger. Plenty of upgrading still to do. It should shoot under MOA with good ammo.

HELLABEN
02-16-12, 01:45
i would DEFINATELY take some of the advice in this thread if i were you. i too started off with a "budget" remington 700, and have nothing but regrets, it wont be budget at all to make it comparable to other rifles, and you will be stuck with a remington 700 action.....

buy a sako trg, or AI, or start with a good action like a surgeon

The Surgeon
02-16-12, 10:00
You Can narrow your selection by knowing what caliber you want.

Before I would get into picking a rifle I would ask myself a few questions.

Exactly what kind of performance are you looking for when you buy a gun?

What are you going to use the gun for?

RCI1911
02-17-12, 13:29
I was in the same boat; I ended up buying a 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Its very similar to the Remington 700 Police except for the stock (not sure if the Police had R5 rifling or not?) for a couple hundred dollars less. I felt that the 26" barrel gave it the ability to reach out to 1000 yards if I wanted to and was still short enough to be considered a "tactical" gun. At first I just plan on getting it scoped and from there do a stock swap (definitely going to be a must for serious target shooting work) and new bottom metal for a DBM. To be honest, I may have just gotten lucky but the X-mark trigger is pretty darn good out of the box, against what I heard from some. Zero creep, zero take-up, and zero overtravel with a nice, crisp break.

Knowing if you want a heavy contour barrel or a stand contour barrel will be a good start and will narrow down the choices considerably. Then would be barrel length and finish. In my opinion the stocks are pretty worthless except for perhaps hunting and plinking so if you plan on replacing it in the future that probably not a real important choice.

Blstr88
02-17-12, 21:04
I was in the same boat; I ended up buying a 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Its very similar to the Remington 700 Police except for the stock (not sure if the Police had R5 rifling or not?) for a couple hundred dollars less. I felt that the 26" barrel gave it the ability to reach out to 1000 yards if I wanted to and was still short enough to be considered a "tactical" gun. At first I just plan on getting it scoped and from there do a stock swap (definitely going to be a must for serious target shooting work) and new bottom metal for a DBM. To be honest, I may have just gotten lucky but the X-mark trigger is pretty darn good out of the box, against what I heard from some. Zero creep, zero take-up, and zero overtravel with a nice, crisp break.

Knowing if you want a heavy contour barrel or a stand contour barrel will be a good start and will narrow down the choices considerably. Then would be barrel length and finish. In my opinion the stocks are pretty worthless except for perhaps hunting and plinking so if you plan on replacing it in the future that probably not a real important choice.

I looked closely at an SPS Varmint in .308 as well recently, I really liked it. It was actually what made me think I'd want to go Remington.

I definitely want to stick with .308, from what Ive read it will suite what I want to do and will work great plenty far enough out. I really don't have a set distance I want to shoot at, I figure I'll start at 200-300 yards and as I progress move up to maybe 600. I dont anticipate ever doing over 600, but the .308 should do well all the way out to 1000 if I so choose, correct?

What is the difference between heavy contour barrel or a stand contour barrel? Is either considered superior to the other?

Im not too concerned about the stock because it seems all brands of rifle require a stock swap eventually anyway, so Im prepared for it sooner or later. Obviously I wont do it right away, I'd like to pick up a rifle, get a nice scope and start shooting right away.

Thanks a ton guys, lots of good info and Im definitely going to take my time and check out some rifles other than Remington now too.

If I were to just say "screw it" and go buy a perfect out of the box, ready to shoot rifle, which one would it be and how much would I be spending? I'm all for the "buy once, cry once" policy so if I need to spend $2k I'll do it...although I'd prefer to buy a ~$700 rifle and slowly upgrade it up to a $2000 rifle (provided it will shoot as well as the rifle that started at $2k).

FredBart
02-17-12, 22:27
I have the Rem 700SPS varmint model in .223 and the Tikka T3 in .308. First, I would ask yourself what you want the rifle to be and how much you want to spend overall.

For 2K, you can get the Remington with a medium high range scope and upgradability. If I recall, the T3 (20" heavy barrel with adjustable comp cheek piece) is about $1700 with no scope. The Sako TRG is about $3500 with no scope. Each of the Tikka/Sako rifles are owned and distributed by Beretta so availability of parts is somewhat controlled. Beretta is not going out of business anytime soon and they deliver parts like magazines quickly and efficiently. Mags are over $50 each for plastic body magazines..

The Remington out of the box is a little more crude in construction, but it is durable and certainly upgradable. I find loading the internal magazine very slow, but that can be improved with practice.

As others have noted, Remington has many fine upgraded stocks and accessories available. You can slowly add as many as you want as your time, interest and budget allows. I would guess that Remington outsells Tikka/Sako by a hundred to one in the USA market.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-17-12, 22:55
Here is some more info for you. B&C and Manners also make stocks

http://www.tikkashooters.com/

HELLABEN
02-18-12, 00:10
If I were to just say "screw it" and go buy a perfect out of the box, ready to shoot rifle, which one would it be and how much would I be spending? I'm all for the "buy once, cry once" policy so if I need to spend $2k I'll do it...although I'd prefer to buy a ~$700 rifle and slowly upgrade it up to a $2000 rifle (provided it will shoot as well as the rifle that started at $2k).

im no expert by any means but i would shoot for a sako trg or a accuracy international AE.

OR this is what i wanted to also do, buy a action like badger m2008($950) send it off to a smith and put a barrel on it ($600) aftermarket remington trigger ($200) and drop it in a xlr evolution chassis ($720). then you would have a AWESOME rifle for $2300

HELLABEN
02-18-12, 00:13
I have the Rem 700SPS varmint model in .223 and the Tikka T3 in .308. First, I would ask yourself what you want the rifle to be and how much you want to spend overall.

For 2K, you can get the Remington with a medium high range scope and upgradability. If I recall, the T3 (20" heavy barrel with adjustable comp cheek piece) is about $1700 with no scope. The Sako TRG is about $3500 with no scope. Each of the Tikka/Sako rifles are owned and distributed by Beretta so availability of parts is somewhat controlled. Beretta is not going out of business anytime soon and they deliver parts like magazines quickly and efficiently. Mags are over $50 each for plastic body magazines..

The Remington out of the box is a little more crude in construction, but it is durable and certainly upgradable. I find loading the internal magazine very slow, but that can be improved with practice.

As others have noted, Remington has many fine upgraded stocks and accessories available. You can slowly add as many as you want as your time, interest and budget allows. I would guess that Remington outsells Tikka/Sako by a hundred to one in the USA market.

the trg22 is around $3000, they sell them at eurooptics for that, what kinda sad is the trg 42 338 lapua is also on there for $2600, im probably going to break down and pick up the 42

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-18-12, 07:07
the trg22 is around $3000, they sell them at eurooptics for that, what kinda sad is the trg 42 338 lapua is also on there for $2600, im probably going to break down and pick up the 42

I too have heard they are quite the rifle but have no experience with them at all. I bought a high end factory rifle my first time out. It was a Mcmillan. I paid about 3k for it, but that was before I knew better. These guys all make AWSOME stuff but you just will not get the attention to detail with them that you will buying a rifle built by a riflesmith who realy knows what he is doing.

If I had unlimited funds I would look no further than Kirby Allen of Allen precsion shooting by far one of the tru masters of the rediculous.

HELLABEN
02-18-12, 09:45
Custom smith guns would be nice , I've taken a look at gap and surgeon rifles but you are getting into accuracy international prices at that point and I'd rather have a AI over anything else if I had the money.

mk262
02-18-12, 16:07
I was in the same boat as you,I wanted an entry-level precision rifle that I could upgrade as I got the money. here is what I did:

Remington 700 sps tactical --$600
EGW rings and 20 moa base--$185
Used SWFA SS 10X HD-------$450
Bell &Carlson M40 stock------$218

Total---------------------------$1453

Using Federal Gold Medal Match 168grain SMK I shoot UNDER 1/2 MOA
All day long out to 500 yds.

The trigger is right @4lbs and very crisp.

I plan to upgrade the scope at some point to a Leupold MK4.
hope this helps. you dont have to spend $3000 to get a good shooter.

mechelaar
02-18-12, 18:04
I went with the LTR. After purchasing accessories I ended up right around $2k. I'm happy with it, but will probably end up replacing the stock in the future.

For the same amount of money, the package you can get here looks to be comparable with far more options.

http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=2

If I were to do it over again, I would also consider one of the SPSs with the LTR 1/10 twist barrel (they are supposedly hard to find). Failing that, I would probably get one of the AAC 700s with the threaded barrel and the 1/10 twist. Either way the stock would have to be upgraded.

Blstr88
02-18-12, 18:14
I was in the same boat as you,I wanted an entry-level precision rifle that I could upgrade as I got the money. here is what I did:

Thanks, thats exactly what Im looking for! Right in my price range and 1/2 MOA at 500 yards is more than sufficient. I figure I can always continue to upgrade the Rem 700 over time and make it better and better, but thats a perfect starting point. Going to look into that...

taliv
02-18-12, 20:03

really?

mk262
02-18-12, 21:56
really?

really.

Alaskapopo
02-18-12, 22:22
i would DEFINATELY take some of the advice in this thread if i were you. i too started off with a "budget" remington 700, and have nothing but regrets, it wont be budget at all to make it comparable to other rifles, and you will be stuck with a remington 700 action.....

buy a sako trg, or AI, or start with a good action like a surgeon

I am happy with my budget remington. It shoots .56 MOA with the loads it likes. When I shoot the barrel out I will get a good one and have the action trued. But for what I paid its fine.
Pat

Pappabear
02-18-12, 22:30
I am happy with my budget remington. It shoots .56 MOA with the loads it likes. When I shoot the barrel out I will get a good one and have the action trued. But for what I paid its fine.
Pat

Me too. I just wanted to dabble in LR shooting. Sure, I would love a TRG, but the Remmys allow you to get in the game and grow with the gun. I ordered a Kreiger already to have as a backup for when I scorch my first Remmy. My 300WM saw smoke today. I think I seriously overheated that big boy.

I bought it to shoot, and shoot is what I did. :D

Hunting_Zombies
02-19-12, 00:35

I went the same route as mk262. Slight differences are instead of EGW rings I went with Warne and instead of the B&C M40, I went with the B&C A2. It consistently shoots .65 moa and under (if conditions are REAL good). I thought about Howa and Tikka, but ultimately went with the SPS tac. I am happy I did. Sure I woud love a custom stick or even a Sako, but being a single father I went with what I could little by little and I really like it and hell...it shoots pretty darn well.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Qz_fkrXBzAw/Tz_f0AFIg5I/AAAAAAAAAII/dmjnK3NuRWM/s800/Toys5.JPG

Alaskapopo
02-19-12, 00:53
I went the same route as mk262. Slight differences are instead of EGW rings I went with Warne and instead of the B&C M40, I went with the B&C A2. It consistently shoots .65 moa and under (if conditions are REAL good). I thought about Howa and Tikka, but ultimately went with the SPS tac. I am happy I did. Sure I woud love a custom stick or even a Sako, but being a single father I went with what I could little by little and I really like it and hell...it shoots pretty darn well.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Qz_fkrXBzAw/Tz_f0AFIg5I/AAAAAAAAAII/dmjnK3NuRWM/s800/Toys5.JPG

Very nice looking rifle.
Pat

SPM14430
02-19-12, 01:07
Here's my starting point:

Remington 700 SPS tactical w/ 20' barrel, .308
Leupold Euro 30mm 3-9x mounted in TPS super low rings
Harris 6-9" bipod

I have a shade under $1k into the rifle thus far, going to slowly upgrade...

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/smao234/photo-3.jpg