PDA

View Full Version : Permit to carry in multiple states?

VWtype2
02-12-12, 10:07
Currently live in Southern Washington, but considering working in Portland. I have my permit to carry in WA but can I get a permit to carry in OR? If so what steps do I have to take?

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-12-12, 10:18
Currently live in Southern Washington, but considering working in Portland. I have my permit to carry in WA but can I get a permit to carry in OR? If so what steps do I have to take?

I think your good. Have not lived there for about 7 years. Did you look to see if your permit is riciprocal for OR? If not get a Utah permit

Quiet-Matt
02-12-12, 10:24
Here's a LINK (http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html) to USA carry's reciprocity maps. It looks like your Washington permit is not honored in Oregon, but they do offer permits to non-residents. Looks like you'll have to jump through the hoops to get a second permit.

Endur
02-12-12, 10:27
I don't know if it helps but you can get a floride license without residency and it's valid in something like 30 states. Don't quote me on it though just what I have been told by a battle of mine who is from florida and has one. I believe texas is now valid in multipul states but don't know about their residency rules.

RogerinTPA
02-12-12, 10:47
Here you go: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

There was a discussion here a few years ago about this very subject. IIRC, having a FL and a UT CCP will cover most of the states with reciprocal agreements.

WillBrink
02-12-12, 11:03

Can't answer that specific Q per se, but I have non res CCW for FL, UT, NV, HH, ME, and my res in MA. I did that as it covers almost every state I may wan to CCW in. Between FL and Utah, you cover a large portion of the US. See maps for actual states covered.

VWtype2
02-12-12, 12:02
Thanks for the info really appreciate it! I found some info going through google, but really couldn't get a clear answer. I grew up in the Bay Area,but Portland is a different kind of animal.

Buckaroo
02-12-12, 15:21
Guess I'll never need to spend my cash in Oregon!

Oregon does not honor any other state Permit/Licenses.

Oregon will issue permits to people who are residents of states that border Oregon. Those states are Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada.

Omen
02-12-12, 21:00
You will need to get an Oregon non-res permit to carry in Oregon. However, I have heard that only one county (sheriff) issues without needing extenuating circumstances. I heard this while taking the Insights Training class for the Utah CCW. You might want to give them a call and see if they can guide you on the process. The number for Insights is (425) 827-2552.

dirt_diver
02-12-12, 21:32
Can't answer that specific Q per se, but I have non res CCW for FL, UT, NV, HH, ME, and my res in MA. I did that as it covers almost every state I may wan to CCW in. Between FL and Utah, you cover a large portion of the US. See maps for actual states covered.

^^^This
I believe I've seen classes at Cabelas that upon completion award a FL and UT ccw, and the reciprocity for those states is pretty darn good. IIRC you wouldn't even need a WA ccw, but don't hold me to that.

rathos
02-12-12, 22:46
This is complete bullshit that keeps getting passed around by people who have no idea what they are talking about. The only way it is hard for people to get permits is because the larger counties such as Multnomah county have limited hours they are open and only a couple of days that they accept new permit applications. The hours are generally during standard work days during the week, which is why it is "hard" to get a permit. I was told you had to write a letter to get an oregon permit as to why the permit was needed, but it was merely one sentence I wrote on a piece of paper I was handed after they snapped my picture.

If you want a permit just apply for it after taking the class.

You will need to get an Oregon non-res permit to carry in Oregon. However, I have heard that only one county (sheriff) issues without needing extenuating circumstances. I heard this while taking the Insights Training class for the Utah CCW. You might want to give them a call and see if they can guide you on the process. The number for Insights is (425) 827-2552.

rockmyglock
03-15-12, 16:13

It is the Sheriff in John Day. This is still the case last I was told (Nov' 2011). You'll need a training certificate, pay the man and be patient (60days, IIRC).

VWtype2
04-29-12, 05:27
After all.. I quit the Downtown job. Tired of fighting for a parking spot and all the hipsters. Found a new job off Airport way driving stand up fork lift. I get to work.. do my time and get the fawk out of OR.

zombie killer
04-29-12, 10:13
I need some clarification on this (hopefully from a LEO). What's up with Virginia non-resident CHL? A friend at work found a website where you take an online test and receive a Virginia non-resident CHL which they claim is G2G in Texas. True/False?

I'm looking for clarification not "just go take an f'in class and shoot your gun durrrr". That's not helpful.

iasc300
04-29-12, 11:38
Whats the easiest way to get a florida and Utah CCP?

rockmyglock
04-29-12, 14:57
Whats the easiest way to get a florida and Utah CCP?

Find a Utah CWP instructor in your State or area, and take a class from them. Normally it is ~$50 and a Saturday. The further you are from Utah/the fewer instructors in your area, the more expensive it may be.

Link to Utah CWP instructor's (that are not in Utah) - http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/insoutstate042412.pdf

NWPilgrim
04-29-12, 15:28
I lived in Washington and had a CHL. When I took a job in Beaverton, OR I got a non-resident permit from Washington county sheriff. Now I live in OR and have CHL and a UT permit so I can carry in Washington, ID, MT, etc.

iasc300
04-29-12, 16:12
Find a Utah CWP instructor in your State or area, and take a class from them. Normally it is ~$50 and a Saturday. The further you are from Utah/the fewer instructors in your area, the more expensive it may be.

Link to Utah CWP instructor's (that are not in Utah) - http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/insoutstate042412.pdf

I should probably say I have a CCL from Iowa, now for Florida all I need to do is get in contact with their DPS and fill out a CWP form and sent it back in right?

Also with the Utah CWP do I still need to take a CWP class to get the Utah permit if I already have an Iowa CCL?

Thanks for the info

rockmyglock
04-29-12, 18:00
I should probably say I have a CCL from Iowa, now for Florida all I need to do is get in contact with their DPS and fill out a CWP form and sent it back in right?

Also with the Utah CWP do I still need to take a CWP class to get the Utah permit if I already have an Iowa CCL?

Thanks for the info

Yes, you would have to take a class from a instructor that is recognized by the Utah BCI. There are certain things that are gone over in the class that are specific to Utah State Law (e.g. Use of Force, et al). Also, as of 2011 Utah will require you to hold a CWP from your home state when applying for the Utah Permit.

Side Note -- The home state provision was a direct result of States threatening to no longer recognize the Utah CWP. Why? People were getting the Utah permit as a one-stop solution without needing to get a permit for their home state.

Revenue? Direct taxation on 2A? Restriction on the right to keep and more importantly bear arms? You decide.

iasc300
04-29-12, 18:08
Yes, you would have to take a class from a instructor that is recognized by the Utah BCI. There are certain things that are gone over in the class that are specific to Utah State Law (e.g. Use of Force, et al). Also, as of 2011 Utah will require you to hold a CWP from your home state when applying for the Utah Permit.

Side Note -- The home state provision was a direct result of States threatening to no longer recognize the Utah CWP. Why? People were getting the Utah permit as a one-stop solution without needing to get a permit for their home state.

Revenue? Direct taxation on 2A? Restriction on the right to keep and more importantly bear arms? You decide.

Ok, thank you very much for the information

rockmyglock
04-29-12, 18:18
Ok, thank you very much for the information

No worries.

BTW, I looked on that list and there are a TON of Utah CWP instructors in Iowa. With some luck and phone calls, you will be able to find one in your area.

Also, here is a reciprocity map to help you figure out which permit (FL or UT) will best suit your needs.

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php

ST911
04-30-12, 12:17
Some of the major sporting goods retailers bring in travel Utah/Florida CCW road shows. They strong on box-checking, weak on training, and quality varies but they serve a purpose.

Check out your local retailer, and the UT instructor list.

Jake'sDad
10-15-12, 21:36

Just states flexing their muscles.