PDA

View Full Version : Rifle length gas system and it's buffer

2ac
02-12-12, 11:39
Hello, I'll soon be receiving a Centurion Arms DMR upper. This will be going on my LMT SOPMOD lower. The question is, can I use my carbine buffer and spring with this set-up?
I have searched and found many conflicting answers. I'd like some advise from anyone who may have experience with this set-up. Thanks in advance.

shootist~
02-12-12, 13:26
Yes. A carbine spring and carbine length buffer is the only size that will work in a carbine length receiver extension. You have choices on the weight of the buffer, not the length.

2ac
02-12-12, 14:24
Yes, I know. I'm trying to determine which weight to use.

MegademiC
02-12-12, 14:38
Run what you have and see if it works. To get the softest shooting gun, find out what weight causes shortstrokes, and go the next step down. With a rifle gas system, I honestly think carbine or H buffer should be fine. I dont think youll be able to go much heavier.

If you are not too concerned with having the softest shooting gun ever... just shoot what you have, if it malfunctions, then start playing with buffers. I wouldnt mess with them if its reliable though.

Robb Jensen
02-12-12, 14:42
CAR buffer will work, H & H2 work best.

Belmont31R
02-12-12, 14:48
Might also consider the A5 system. Mimics rifle length extensions yet still uses carbine stocks.

Robb Jensen
02-12-12, 17:30
Might also consider the A5 system. Mimics rifle length extensions yet still uses carbine stocks.

Yes this is great too using the standard A5 buffer (5 something oz.)
The SOPMOD won't collapse all the way on it if that matters to you. I don't shoot anything all the collapsed usually 1-3 clicks out depending on the shooting position.

Clint
02-12-12, 19:41
My first choice for a CAR length RE is an H2 buffer.

The reciprocating mass is approximately the same as the rifle buffer.

The A5 is actually better, but considerably more expensive.

Singlestack Wonder
02-17-12, 11:25
BCM recommends the H3 buffer for their Mk12 SPR uppers with rifle length gas systems.