PDA

View Full Version : Anything really compete with BattleComp 2.0?

Suburban
02-12-12, 12:42
I like the BC 2.0, a lot, but $150 is a lot of ammo money.

I've seen a few similar comps, but I'm not sure any really stack up. The Spike's comp is only partly closed on the bottom, not sure if it's suppressor compatible. The Griffin M4-SD is pretty similar, but looking at the video, I see flame coming out the front even with decent lighting. I would probably run an Effin-A comp on a 3-gun rifle, but not on a fighting rifle.

Is there anything I've missed that really competes with BattleComp 2.0, but is not as expensive?

Stickman
02-12-12, 14:01
I like the BC 2.0, a lot, but $150 is a lot of ammo money.

I've seen a few similar comps, but I'm not sure any really stack up. The Spike's comp is only partly closed on the bottom, not sure if it's suppressor compatible. The Griffin M4-SD is pretty similar, but looking at the video, I see flame coming out the front even with decent lighting. I would probably run an Effin-A comp on a 3-gun rifle, but not on a fighting rifle.

Is there anything I've missed that really competes with BattleComp 2.0, but is not as expensive?

Are you really going to mount a can?

Surf
02-12-12, 14:05
As Stick asks are you going to run a suppressor? If not are you only concerned about compensation?

MistWolf
02-12-12, 16:01
The Battlecomp, regardless of flavor, is one of those items that you won't know if it will work for you until you try it. Same is true for any other muzzle device.

Prior to the Battlecomp, I had never met a compensator or muzzle brake that I liked. I'd rather deal with the recoil and muzzle rise than the added muzzle blast. The BC still has more muzzle blast than an A2 birdcage, but strangely, it's seems to be less than a bare muzzle and far less than many other designs I have encountered. (Have not had any experience with the newer compensators yet.)

I like how the rifle stays flat when fired. I'm not sure there is any noticeable recoil reduction but I like shooting my AR carbine and my Fal much better with the BC than without.

The BC reduces flash as well as the A2, but the A2 is more consistent. The BC occasionally gives off a larger than average fireball.

The only way to tell if the BC is worth the $150 price of admission is to try one and compare it to it's competitors and to the A2. BC has very good customer service, the comps are well made and are light. While I do not need the BCs to shoot my AR or Fal, I would not sell either one if somebody were to offer me what I paid for them. I like my BCs and plan to keep them

nimdabew
02-12-12, 16:05
The BC 1.0 will do everything the 2.0 will do. The 2.0 was given so you can mount cans on it that attach directly to the A2 birdcage since it was designed with the same external dimensions. No other reason for the price hike AFAIK.

globeguy
02-12-12, 21:34
How is noise with BCs? Any louder than A2?

Trajan
02-12-12, 21:41
How is noise with BCs? Any louder than A2?

Yes.

Another thing I noticed with the BC was it seems to have more "push" than an A2. Although I'm not sure what kind of buffer was in the BC equipped gun I used.

EDIT: Comparison was between the BC 1.5 and A2X.

lethal dose
02-12-12, 22:10
Although it does has some downfalls, the pws fsc556 remains one if my top favorite muzzle devices. It functions very well as a comp and controls muzzle flash about as good as a battlecomp. The big downside is the concussion. If you plan on running one (especially in a class) keep it to a 16"+ barrel. I understand guns weren't really designed to be quiet, but standing next to someone for multiple 8+ hour range days who's running a comp'd twelve five sucks. It takes a month for your teeth to stop chattering and you eyeballs to quit jiggling.

lethal dose
02-12-12, 22:13
To add... I'd say the battlecomp is considerably quieter the the pws offering. I still think the a2 fh is the best muzzle device available.

benw315
02-12-12, 23:25
Not sure if this will help you at all, but I need ear plugs under my ear muffs when shooting my 14.5 middy with BC1.5. I really don't know how loud the BC is to an A2. I've heard they are the same, I've heard they A2 is quiter. You may need to just try both and see which you prefer. Even if you have to sell the BC, you won't lose much money and the knowledge you just gained is probably worth the cost, not just for the rifle you just purchased but for future builds you want.

Common knowledge states that you can't have the best of both worlds if you want both a comp and a flash hider. Typically, comps are louder and create a lot of blast that really does affect the shooter. But they keep the muzzle rise to a minimum. Flash hiders can be quieter and obviously keep the flash to a minimum but don't do much to help muzzle rise. If you feel you would like to be able to control your rifle more, a comp will help, as will more training. Many people work the A2 just fine.

In my limited opinion, the BC is a great compromise. I went with one but honestly have no idea what the difference is between it and an A2. Basically, I went with the recommendations of this site a year ago.

Suburban
02-12-12, 23:29
Are you really going to mount a can?

I don't have one yet, but it's definitely a possibility in the future. I'd like to get one that works on multiple uppers/rifles, and not just ones with tined flash hiders or blasty brakes.

Like MistWolf said, I feel like most other comps and brakes have fatal flaws. I've just stuck with the A2 flash-hiders that came screwed onto the barrels when I bought them. I like the BattleComps, but I'm having a hard time laying down the cash for one.

TangoSauce
02-13-12, 01:00
I think the BattleComp is very well priced for what it delivers. If you're concerned about price, the PWS might save a few bucks but concussion is a solid point mentioned above.

In the grand scheme of things, is saving $50 worth not having a piece of kit that you're happy with?

logan09
02-13-12, 09:28
I prefer the PWS over the battlecomp. I used to have 2 BC's, and for the price I would buy a PWS any day(You can usually find them for $50-$60 used)

The PWS is "louder" then the BC. Don't ever shoot w/ one w/o earplugs:shout: Just put it this way, when I shoot w/ an A2 I don't have to wear earplugs.

MegademiC
02-13-12, 09:45
Member trident has raved about the aac brakeout. 1stage 3port brake with 3 blackout prongs. It will probably be more concussive than the BC. My friend has a pws 556 and its really good. Just throwing out another option to consider. All fall into the comp-without-too-much-flash catagory. My suggestion would be to try out all 3 if possible. Check the EE, somebody may be getting rid of one of them for a good price.

I prefer the PWS over the battlecomp. I used to have 2 BC's, and for the price I would buy a PWS any day(You can usually find them for $50-$60 used)

The PWS is "louder" then the BC. Don't ever shoot w/ one w/o earplugs:shout: Just put it this way, when I shoot w/ an A2 I don't have to wear earplugs.

You dont have to? or you dont wear earplugs? I know the a2 may not make your ears bleed but its still a good way to destroy your hearing!

rapomstage3
02-14-12, 19:19
I personally love my battle comp and dont think the price tag is steep for what it does. I also think its the best looking comp on the market. (besides a certain space age unaffordable one). Function is far superior than looks but the other comps available just look gross. Its a COMPromise.

lifebreath
02-14-12, 22:52
I like my BC, but have come to the conclusion that a standard A2 flash hider is fine. The BC is louder with more blast, especially if you are under cover. Anyone who says differently has pre-existing hearing loss. However, it's not a ton more blast like other comps. The rifle definitely stays flatter easier, but it's almost as easy to control the A2 with good body position. I've run a course with a BC on a KAC SR-15 and an A2 on a BCM middy, and it's 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

Really in the end, the AR system has so little recoil that it becomes splitting hairs. I mean, even my 12 year old boy can easily manage the recoil doing double taps and 1-5 drills! That to me is the beauty of the AR-15 - lots of round down range quickly and in control. I've got a second BC that's been sitting around for months because I haven't felt compelled to replace any more A2 flash hiders. Just my two cents.

PRGGodfather
02-15-12, 00:10
To the OP:

Send us an email, and we will send you an open package BC1.0 to try out. If you like it, we will give you a good deal on it. If you don't, just send it back.

Personally, we are biased -- but ranges aren't always square and it isn't always about drills. One of my brother LEOs saw the real advantages when he started shooting 50-75 yard steel, when he suddenly realized he didn't have to wait as long for the sights to fall back into alignment. He started ringing it like a bell.

BattleComps don't replace good technique or solid form. Hardware cannot replace good software. Especially in the larger calibers; they help with recovery time, when your form isn't (or cannot be) perfect.

YMMV as always...

lifebreath
02-15-12, 00:25
Personally, we are biased -- but ranges aren't always square and it isn't always about drills. One of my buds saw the advantages when he started shooting 50-75 yard steel, when he realized he didn't have to wait for the sight fall back into alignment. YMMV as always...

True - I thought that as I posted. The benefit of remaining on target easier from behind cover, on the move, etc., especially when bladed or at an odd angle to the weapon.

And if you weren't passionate about your product, I'd say something's wrong! Don't misunderstand, I do think the BC is a great bit of gear, and is my choice if adding a comp.

PRGGodfather
02-15-12, 00:39
Thanks, brother. No worries.

We fully support and defend any American's right to an opinion, and you have the actual, firsthand experience as an owner to earn it. Thank you for taking a chance on us, and we hope we earned your trust.

FWIW, the BABC's muzzle rise mitigation on the SCAR17 in 7.62 and rifles in .300 Win Mag is definitely stark. We hope to have some new video with a 240B very soon. The M249 videos were fun to watch.

Best to you and yours...

MistWolf
02-15-12, 02:09
The BABC works very well on my Para Fal

m4_556
02-19-12, 19:08
I use the AAC brake mount on all my 556 setups. It works unbelievably well, that said unless I was going to mount a suppressor I'd probably get a battlecomp. I personally don't have one, but the AAC brake (non mount) would be more affordable at ?74 msrp (http://advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=839).