PDA

View Full Version : What should I do to my M&P15?

Devildog1988
02-12-12, 13:11
Hey Just traded for an M&P15. Its completely stock right now just like in the pic. Ill let yall decide what I put on it and post pics as I go, If yall have any used parts for sale let me know also.

Also what do yall think about the M&P15s? I didnt really do any research about them but I figured I got a good deal trading my Mini for one.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9560/mp15.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/mp15.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Abraxas
02-12-12, 13:17
Straight across for a mini, ya I'd say you made out. As for the quality, S&W is better than what you could have ended up with. Check the EE boards for what people have for sale. What should you do with it? Go shoot the piss out of it. Figure out what role you will use it for and go from there. The search function will be very helpful, use it. Congrats on the boomstick.

Devildog1988
02-12-12, 13:23
Traded a Mini, scope rings, 4 30 round mags, 2 5 round mags, nc star 3-9x42 scope, and a eagle rifle bag for it. Rifle, 1 mag, carry handle.

My other Stag has a CQB setup, I think I want to go the same route with this one. I want to keep it light weight since my wife will probably end up using it more than I. My stag has an A2 stock and car lenght KAC rails and she struggles to keep it supported.

Kickin-Ewoks
02-12-12, 13:24
Straight across for a mini, ya I'd say you made out. As for the quality, S&W is better than what you could have ended up with. Check the EE boards for what people have for sale. What should you do with it? Go shoot the piss out of it. Figure out what role you will use it for and go from there. The search function will be very helpful, use it. Congrats on the boomstick.

I concur!

Sry0fcr
02-12-12, 13:28
completely stock right now just like in the pic. Ill let yall decide what I put on it and post pics as I go

Wtf is this horseshit? You're going to let strangers on the internet set up your gun just so you can post pics and get our approval? Pull your head out Devil Dog.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Devildog1988
02-12-12, 13:33
Dont flatter yourself princess, I though it would be cool to do. Ive certainly done enought in my life to keep my self esteem high enough to keep myself from wanting your approval on an internet forum. If you had to absolutely tell me how you feel you could of pmed me instead of emberassing yourself on here. :sarcastic:

loganp0916
02-12-12, 13:35
I think you should go shoot a bunch stuff, then decide what you need, and then read reviews and other threads here to help figure out what specific items you want.

I can't say what you should do to your rifle. It's ultimately your decision and you may not need/want/like things I would get.

Endur
02-12-12, 13:45
If I had that I would keep it some what simple. Get a low pro gas block, free float rail, troy hk battle sights, magpul str stock (when they release it), magpul miad grip, moe trigger guard, bad ambi selector, troy ambi mag release, magpul bad lever, tango down foregrip or magpul afg2 and pretty much it. Keep it all black and iron sights.

loganp0916
02-12-12, 13:50
Right away I would probably get a light and sling. I think that's it.

I would hold off on an optic so I could think about it and try some, etc. same with the stock, rail, ambi safety, trigger, etc. Shoot the rifle, if you decide you don't like the those, then go buy new.

TehLlama
02-12-12, 14:10
Lube it, clean it, shoot it. Then follow the advice below.

Right away I would probably get a light and sling. I think that's it.

I would hold off on an optic so I could think about it and try some, etc. same with the stock, rail, ambi safety, trigger, etc. Shoot the rifle, if you decide you don't like the those, then go buy new.

The important part is going to be figuring out what this (or it's replacement) is going to be used for, and what ratio works for you in terms of cost, weight, accuracy, and capability.

Keep in mind that unless you're buying only parts you will find yourself keeping, the moment you buy something sight unseen and dislike it, lose money in the process of reselling it - you might be better off already having started all over (e.g. Colt 6720 w/ 12.0FSP handguard, CTR stock and MOE Grip) with a general purpose rifle.

If anything, I'd go look around among some of the recent completed build threads for ideas, scrounge through the picture thread once you've figured out an intended purpose, and also outline a rough budget of what you're willing to spend on this ridiculousness (since that's going to be the real limitation anyway).

Even at modest E3 income, I would have been money ahead going only with top shelf stuff from the start; which is why the 'start over' suggestion is so prevalent.

Endur
02-12-12, 14:51
Everyone is missing the point of the thread. He is asking what we would want him to do with it if we had it not shoot it and decide or build it on what it is replacing yada yada.

VLODPG
02-12-12, 15:38
Buy ammo,take a basic carbine class,shoot,shoot some more.

Everyone is missing the point of the thread. He is asking what we would want him to do with it if we had it not shoot it and decide or build it on what it is replacing yada yada.

Yea,

we got the point.
Don't waste your money on doing anything to it till you do the above. After doing the above, you will find out how much you know about what you don't know.
You will get the opportunity to see others in the same boat & feedback off them.

Eventually, you won't need to ask the question.

IMO

jared91
02-12-12, 15:46
put 1500 rds through it then decide on what you want if it even needs anything after that

Endur
02-12-12, 15:50
Thinking to much into it..

Kickin-Ewoks
02-12-12, 18:21
Buy ammo,take a basic carbine class,shoot,shoot some more.

Yea,

we got the point.
Don't waste your money on doing anything to it till you do the above. After doing the above, you will find out how much you know about what you don't know.

You will get the opportunity to see others in the same boat & feedback off them.

Eventually, you won't need to ask the question.

IMO

Exactly! Many people buy or build an AR, deck it out with a shit ton of gear, and then go shoot it. Then they realize that the gear they bought does not feel right while shooting.

You could plop an RDS on it and ignore your irons but that is a backwards approach. Buy some ammo and learn to shoot irons out to 200 yards or more, take a course and learn how to properly use your rifle.

If you have to ask what accessories to put on a rifle then you are missing the point of the accessories.

Endur
02-12-12, 18:29
Exactly! Many people buy or build an AR, deck it out with a shit ton of gear, and then go shoot it. Then they realize that the gear they bought does not feel right while shooting.

You could plop an RDS on it and ignore your irons but that is a backwards approach. Buy some ammo and learn to shoot irons out to 200 yards or more, take a course and learn how to properly use your rifle.

If you have to ask what accessories to put on a rifle then you are missing the point of the accessories.

Exactly, but him being a marine I am sure he knows what he likes on and rifle and doesn't. I sure do having tried many different accessories on my m4 and not being able to change some things I wish I had like a bad lever or a ambi mag release for things like reload drills and transition drills.

Sry0fcr
02-13-12, 10:22
Dont flatter yourself princess, I though it would be cool to do. Ive certainly done enought in my life to keep my self esteem high enough to keep myself from wanting your approval on an internet forum. If you had to absolutely tell me how you feel you could of pmed me instead of emberassing yourself on here. :sarcastic:

Relax bro, your post was goofy. Just what are you trying to accomplish here? Right now it sounds like you just want a "cool" rifle and that's fine but I don't think that's the driving purpose of the forum. If you notice, most people are telling you to go shoot your gun instead of "tricking it out" so you can post pics. If that's what you're interesed in there's plenty of forums good for that so go find them, there's not that many that are actually good resources for advice and information for professionals and serious civilians. This one is, lets keep it that way.

Rifleman_04
02-13-12, 10:37
Exactly, but him being a marine I am sure he knows what he likes on and rifle and doesn't. I sure do having tried many different accessories on my m4 and not being able to change some things I wish I had like a bad lever or a ambi mag release for things like reload drills and transition drills.

Bad assumption to make, as a lot of people in the military have anything other than a clue when it comes to weapons. Just being a hard charging young devil does NOT mean he knows what he likes on his rifle yet. If I had let my Marines just hang whatever off their weapons, it would have looked as though they dragged them through the aisles of cheaper than dirt.

Get a sling, a light, magazines and ammo. Lube it and shoot it.

N8rfastback
02-13-12, 10:55
If it were mine I would throw a stark grip on it and buy some pmags then go blow a couple hundred rounds through it. then decide what role it should fill.

Sent from Nates Droid X

Iraqgunz
02-13-12, 10:55
Can everyone just tone it down a little?

zombie killer
02-13-12, 11:19
I think a light and sling are the bare minimum you should start with. You might also consider a Magpul MOE hand guard as it will give you some good mounting options. As for a sling suggestion I would consider a VTAC. If you're considering a red dot I would advise going to a store and mounting a variety of sights on your rifle to see what you like best. Then go to the EE and pick one up used. Hope this helps, stay safe.

ViperRy
02-13-12, 16:56
I agree with shoot the hell out of it. I like thumb over bore shooting. If you're the same way then get a forearm and attachments where you can shoot that way comfortably. Otherwise shoot, then modify to your needs.

devinsdad
02-14-12, 11:41
I have the same rifle in the same configuration. I'd just leave it alone and go shoot. It's fun to have one "stock" without a bunch of stuff draping off it.

TehLlama
02-14-12, 21:10
Bad assumption to make, as a lot of people in the military have anything other than a clue when it comes to weapons. Just being a hard charging young devil does NOT mean he knows what he likes on his rifle yet.

Often it's worse than that - some units are stupid enough to mandate uniformity in weapon setup in addition to uniformity in deuce gear layout.

It's an okay indicator about certain handling characteristics, but if anything, having had an issue weapon is usually a guarantee that the first silhoette idea you attach yourself too is going to be either way to close, or way too far away from your issue setup to be anywhere ideal - so the most cost effective approach is going to be to run it minimalist and work from there, instead of buying a bunch of stuff that may or may not be worth keeping, or more importantly, tie up money and force you in a direction that isn't as good simply because you've already got money tied up in that direction

Squirtgunner
02-17-12, 11:11
If you had to absolutely tell me how you feel you could of pmed me instead of emberassing yourself on here. :sarcastic:

+1

Ease up on the attack bro - it's his money to spend.

Mattyboy702
02-24-12, 19:35
This was the same rifle I bought as my first AR about a year and a half ago I started with a sling shot it alot then slowly added things to better fit my needs,take your time don't rush get use to it

NavyDavy55
02-25-12, 16:25
Shoot it a lot!

SteveS
02-26-12, 09:59
Shoot it a lot! Then shoot it even more.

MFWIC2
02-26-12, 12:24
Just shoot it and then shoot it some more. Figure out what purpose you will be using this rifle for. Then go from their. Don't waste money on stuff you don't need.

Buck1122
03-01-12, 22:04
Well, I bought one of their stripped down models called the sport for a whopping $560. Now, I have a bunch of other AR's and play with guns for a living so this gun is just to keep my M4 skills sharp.

1. Swapped for a Gen 2 quad rail by midwest industries
2, Swapped to H2 buffer when I shoot suppressed with my Tbac 30p-1
3. Aimpoint Pro Optic in Larue Mount
4. Magpul Miad grip
5. Surefire scout light with pressure pad.
6. 5 - 30 round magpul magazines with windows
7. Ammo from 55gr to 77grains
8. Single point rear sling adaptor
9. Single point bungee sling
10. Thread adaptor for suppresor.....its a .308 can

All in I am just over 1200 bucks. cheap as crap for everything I got but I searched hard for the deals and paying only $560 for the gun really helped.

Search the forums and get an idea. Or, save your money and just shoot it without making changes....if you can hit your target without all the extras then it may be a waste of money. Tacti-cool is overrated and waste of money. I only changed mine up for CQB puposes and so I could make faster shots.

Good luck.

Scoby
03-02-12, 04:52
Goes without saying.....shoot it and decide what you need.

A light and sling would be the first things I would add. I'd ditch the carry handle as well.
Here is a decent deal on MOE handguards and rear BUIS. Includes a VFG too. The MOE will give you mounting options.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100364

Here is a MOE illumination kit.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100188

When you decide you need anything else, keep an eye on the EE here and be patient. Everything shows up there over time. Including mags. ;)

usmcvet
03-02-12, 07:32
If it was mine I might leave it as is once I added a sling and light. If is for the wife I would get her input.

I like and use MOE furniture. I would suggest a padded BFG two point but you may use the Viking sling if so stick with that. Add MOE hand guards a light mad sling mount fro, Impact Weapons. The M4 stock is fine but I would get a MOE or CTR because that is what I like.

Get her involved in some of the choices.

A 2moa T1, with DD mount and a DD BUIS would be in my second round of buying.