PDA

View Full Version : What type of refinish is the best way to go?

Rolin808
02-13-12, 01:45
have a p226 that i want to refinish but i live in hawaii where the climate is humid and salt in the ais rust everything. there are many different refinishes for hand guns , your suggestions on what would work best

Nephrology
02-13-12, 04:28
Robar NP3 or industrial hard chrome is probably the way to go for protection against corrosion.

Singlestack Wonder
02-13-12, 04:44
I recommend Melonite QPQ. Do a search on the internet. I've had hard chrome, Ion Bond, ceramic, and a multitude of other finishes over the years. The only one that has held up for the long term has been the Melonite QPQ.

wahoo95
02-13-12, 04:55
NP3+

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Microalign
02-13-12, 09:05
Robar NP3 Plus is one hell of a finish.

dougwg
02-13-12, 09:44
Robar NP3 Plus is one hell of a finish.

Yes, it is but the new Nickle Boron finishes are more corrosion resistant then the NP3 or NP3+. Only down side for some is the color (silver) and for some it's not an issue.

For Black color, Salt Bath Nitride QPQ which is the same as the Melonite on S&W's or Tennifer like on a Glock. Some people will say they're different, those people don't know what they're talking about.

When looking for a finish look to what firearm manufacturers are using and you'll be well served.

P.S. Keep in mind that some people and companies have many different names for the SAME finish but try to pass it off as something new, different or better in an attempt to make a sale.

dougwg
02-13-12, 09:48
have a p226 that i want to refinish but i live in hawaii where the climate is humid and salt in the ais rust everything. there are many different refinishes for hand guns , your suggestions on what would work best

Stock finish!

Also, you should keep it oiled well. I suggest using a Rig Rag (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31843/Product/RIG-RAG-UNIVERSAL-GREASE-APPLICATOR) with Rig Grease (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31842/Product/RIG-reg-UNIVERSAL-GUN-GREASE).

Long-known and highly respected by shooters, this clean, viscous grease is easy to apply to your pet gun and provides absolute rust prevention during long-term storage. One thorough application of a thin film will protect your rifle, handgun, shotgun, or muzzleloader from rust and corrosion.