PDA

View Full Version : Heading off to basic next week... any last-minute advice?

Skyyr
02-13-12, 12:17
Heading off to Army basic training next week and wanted to see if there was anything I should take note of.

Surprisingly, a lot seems to have changed on the front end of things since my brother went through. I was told not to bring any "packing list" items, simply two changes of civilian clothes and toiletries, as well as a cell phone (???). Everything I need will be purchased when I arrive after processing. I found that odd, since many of my friends before me had comprehensive packing lists, but I'm not going there to think, simply to do as I'm told, so whatever.

So yeah... if you've got any tips or advice you think might help, post 'em here or PM me - I'd be most grateful.

Thanks...

5pins
02-13-12, 12:21
Where are you going for basic?

M4arc
02-13-12, 12:25
Keep your mouth shut and do as you're told and you'll be fine.

Skyyr
02-13-12, 12:29
Where are you going for basic?

Ft. Leonard Wood.

Irish
02-13-12, 12:53
Spend time with your family, girlfriend, etc. Sleep in, eat your favorite foods, enjoy your hobbies.

Other than that keep a positive attitude and remember it's only temporary. Best of luck!

snackgunner
02-13-12, 13:01
Boot is not going to be fun. But you're stuck there, so you may as well suck it up and bust your ass. Plus everything they make you do and teach you, is for a reason.

jaxman7
02-13-12, 13:24
Seriously bud good luck. I wish the best for you. I did my basic @ Benning in '01 so the rules I am sure have been tweaked. As far as the packing list goes I would bring some good wool socks and foot powder. When you get to your company area (or they may do it @ reception) if they don't like either one of those things then they'll seperate it along with everything else and lock it up until you graduate. If its ok to keep well then your a leg up as far as those two items go. Notepads, extra toothbrushes & q-tips (if they let you keep them are a god send for the army's anal rifle cleaning).
-Stay AS FAR AWAY as you can from the stupid people. Everyone in your company will get smoked for his stupid mistake but it's still best to keep away from him.
-DO NOT fall asleep during fireguard or during a classroom session.
-DO NOT fall asleep during an FTX in a patrol base with DS trying to infiltrate your perimeter. Put hot sauce in your eye or dip coffee to stay awake.
-Tape your KAC panels, if you can, onto the URX rail. I lost one....wasn't pretty.
-Wake up 30 minutes earlier than everybody else. That way most mornings you won't be scrambling around like a headless chicken (like most others) trying to get ready for morning PT formation.
-Through it all good or bad keep a calm head and think your way through things. Best of luck and hope this helps. There's about 300 other things scrambling through my head to say but for now that's all I can think of.

TomMcC
02-13-12, 14:40
Grab as much sleep as you can when you can. While the guys were running around in the barracks, I got my locker and clothes squared away pronto, got into my rack and started sleeping lights on and all.

jaxman7
02-13-12, 14:56
Grab as much sleep as you can when you can. While the guys were running around in the barracks, I got my locker and clothes squared away pronto, got into my rack and started sleeping lights on and all.

Yep, one thing you'll discover is how easy it is to fall asleep no matter where you are or whats going on around you. I'll never forget the first time I nodded off while walking a 12 mile road march.

-Jax

Just a Jarhead
02-13-12, 15:26
Probably a bit different back when I was in bootcamp but best advice I can give as one who graduated as Platoon Honorman;

1). Don't take a DI screaming in your face personal. In one ear and out the other. That's they're job to break you down. Always remember that. If you remember one thing that will allow you to do well it is this! Keep reminding yourself this. Don't take it personally. Best advice anyone can give you right there!
2). Don't eyeball **** a DI. Never look them in the eye. From the second you get off that bus, never ever look a DI in the eye.
3). Separate yourself from the assholes. Avoid them. Be polite to all just don't be asshole buddies with the idiots.
4). Take it seriously. Immerse yourself into it and get totally into it. This is your new life. Whether it's a military history class, small unit tactics or first aid, 100% effort. You're being prepared for war. Want to stay alive? Take it all very seriously like your life depends on it. You may never see action. But then again you may.
5). Eat honey at morning chow on toast before PT. Good energy booster.
6). Always scream loudly "Sir, yes Sir". Don't let them get in your face to have to tell you they can't hear you.

ETA: And keeping your mouth shut as someone already suggested is the 2nd best piece of advice you're can get. Don't even be tempted to talk or whisper to anyone EVER unless you're been giving free time. You will be so ****ed and crying for your momma if you ever make that mistake.

Good Luck!

5pins
02-13-12, 15:57
6). Always scream loudly "Sir, yes Sir". Don't let them get in your face to have to tell you they can't hear you.

Never call a Drill Sergeant Sir; if you do they will explain how they work for a living. Army basic is a little different then the Marine Corp.

TomMcC
02-13-12, 16:17
Never call a Drill Sergeant Sir; if you do they will explain how they work for a living. Army basic is a little different then the Marine Corp.

Yep, it was yes sergeant, no sergeant.

Also keep your hands out of your pockets.

William B.
02-13-12, 16:25
Don't be first, don't be last, don't volunteer, and always look busy, especially if you're not.

This.

SeriousStudent
02-13-12, 19:24
Thank you for your service to our country, and good luck.

M4arc gave you the best advice. Remember, it's only a couple of months.

Smash
02-13-12, 19:44
No matter what they do to you, how bad it sucks.....They cant stop time. Just remind yourself of that. It will eventually be over.

Quiet-Matt
02-13-12, 19:49
My Dad (a Drill Sergeant back in the day) gave me a bit of advice. I went with the USMC, but the same advice held true. He told me to enjoy the show. This is what these guys do, and they get off on this shit. He was right.

Keep your shit squared away, pay attention, don't be a douche, drink alot, sound off like a man (not like pvt. Snowball in FMJ, that shits anoying), take care of your feet and you should be fine.

QuietShootr
02-13-12, 20:12
Free tip. Tear gas isn't shit. Don't get all spun up about it.

snackgunner
02-13-12, 20:15
No matter what they do to you, how bad it sucks.....They cant stop time. Just remind yourself of that. It will eventually be over.

Truer words have never been spoken. Tic toc tic toc can't stop the clock.

sandman99and9
02-13-12, 21:28
Yep, one thing you'll discover is how easy it is to fall asleep no matter where you are or whats going on around you. I'll never forget the first time I nodded off while walking a 12 mile road march.

-Jax

I fell asleep crammed onto a cattle truck with my kevlar bouncing against the wall at FT. Benning !!!

I second the getting up a little early so you don't have to compete with the dumb asses for a sink to shave/brush teeth, e.t.c.

I had forest ****ing gump in my platoon and he caused us to get smoked constantly. Good thing I can do pushups all day :)

Keep your ears open and mouth shut, you will be fine.

Thanks for your service.

S.M.

Heavy Metal
02-13-12, 21:48
If your barracks has limited shower space, wrap your soap in a towell and stuff it under your matress springs. That way while others are unlocking their walllockers to get theirs, you will be first in the shower. Stuff it after lights out and no one will ever be the wiser.

And get some polypro sockliners and use plenty opf foot powder. Dry feet don't blister, ever!

Heavy Metal
02-13-12, 21:49
dupe.

Armati
02-13-12, 21:54
Remember, millions of men before you have done this.

Do what you are told, the way you were told to do it. Attention to detail. There is a reason for this. All of this nonsense has a point. You will understand why when you are older. Learn everything. They are teaching it for a reason. Never quit - ever.

Belmont31R
02-13-12, 22:36
If your DS has to think to remember your name at the end you did a good job. Just be another face in the crowd.

Its just a game, and enjoy it.

Stay away from the shit bags.

Don't volunteer.

Don't fall asleep.

Don't get caught breaking the rules.

Drink water and eat well.

Take care of your feet. Fresh socks and powder.

Pay attention to details and do what you're supposed to be doing.

Don't get pissed off about the group punishment thing. Its just a way to **** with you while getting you in shape.

Reception was the suckiest part for me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-13-12, 23:17
When you graduate, you will look back and realize how easy it all was, especially after the first month. Army basic is not that hard, Ive witnessed it. Do what you are told, when you are told, be loud and quick about it, and your life will be easy. Its only a few months, and nearly everyone passes, so dont sweat it.

Dont listen to the people who tell you to not volunteer for things and to be a wall flower. Stand out, be loud, volunteer, be aggressive. It will get you some unwanted attention in the beginning, but it will pay off in the end.

warpigM-4
02-13-12, 23:27
well you have some of the best advice already .
But i will say enjoy it My time in OSUT 19 kilo was the BEST time of my life the friends I made ,the things I accomplished the feeling of doing something positive .keep your head High even when your being smoked sound off like you have a pair .

Never ever Mistake A Drill SGT Kindness for weakness
Don't be a Blue Falcon AKA Buddy ****er
watch your battle buddies back keep them squared away .
wear your shower shoes i repeat wear your shower shoes:D
as far as a packing list i showed up with the clothes on my back a shaving kit ,soap,a towel and wash cloth as soon as I hit reception i was handed PT Shorts and a PT shirt wear good shoes there .
eyes and ears open mouth closed.
READ YOUR SMART BOOKS!!!!!!!!!
and i showed up with a High and tight But go ahead and shave your head it will be the first thing they do

Have fun and enjoy the greatest adventure of your life Ft Lost in the woods is COED stay away from the army sluts :sarcastic:

RogerinTPA
02-14-12, 00:47

This...in Spades.

Good advice given so far. I'll add, be a sponge. Learn and excel in all instruction and task given. Give 110% of what you got. Assist those who are inept and avoid the whiners and barracks lawyers like the plague.

Just a Jarhead
02-14-12, 02:43
If your DS has to think to remember your name at the end you did a good job. Just be another face in the crowd.

Not to be argumentative but I coudn't disagree with this more! Knowing your name because you excel is never a bad thing. Knowing your name because you're a platoon smuck is a different story.

If you're just average or less all the way around; intelligence, level of physical fitness, discipline, leadership then I agree. Blend in.

If you can excell, do it. You don't have to be a show off, or a kiss ass, quite the contrary, the cream will always rise to the top. All you have to do is apply yourself and give 100% effort. I'm the only one that came out of my bootcamp platoon with a stripe and the Dress Blues given to him as a gift from the Marine Corps. I didn't do that by blending in & them not knowing my name. Go for it!

Sensei
02-14-12, 04:13
Don't allow your experience with AR's to draw attention to yourself when you start Basic Rifle Marksmanship. For example, don't get ahead of the DS when they show your platoon how to disassemble you weapons. Don't stray from their shooting instruction or technique.

Also, try to size-up people in your platoon quickly and make friends with people who are squared away. Don't be surprised by the number of people with real life experience go thru this for a variety of reasons. They are a resource.

Finally, keep in touch with friends. I went through Benning in the early 90's and I still keep in touch with 2 guys from my platoon.

C-grunt
02-14-12, 14:16
Keep your wall locker locked!
Dont speak unless you are told to.
Its just a mind game in the begining.
The first few weeks really suck but it gets beter when you get to the more techinical stuff.

usmcvet
02-14-12, 20:24
Packing List! I was told to have my driver's license, Social Security Card and $5 or $10 can't remember how much. Nothing else was allowed. I was at P.I. from May 21 to August 17, 1990. Lots changed and but the basics will always be the same. Wear the best running shoes you can. That was the only piece of personal gear we were allowed to keep.

It is all about attitude. Never quit. Do your best to keep a good attitude. There will be lots of screaming and yelling and PT. Whatever you're doing give it your all. Do not take it personal it is all part of their plan. Oh and do not run your mouth, even under your breath. I did that once. It is not worth it. I suffered for hours! :D Don't count days count weeks. I counted Sundays.

I read a book call Boot, I also got a pamphlet from my recruiter that was a pretty damn good outline of the whole 3 months. I would think the Army has something simillar. I have always like having as much info as possible. A buddy gave me the Guidebook for Marines. I read it before bootcamp and memorized my general orders, and a bunch of other general knowledge. It helped but wasn't necessary.

Good Luck.

Belmont31R
02-15-12, 00:45
Not to be argumentative but I coudn't disagree with this more!

Not going to argue with you just maybe my personal experience has been that blending in with the crowd works, too.

If you're a hard charger out to take on the world then go for it...! :cool:

Just a Jarhead
02-15-12, 06:54
I was at P.I. from May 21 to August 17, 1990. Lots changed and but the basics will always be the same. Wear the best running shoes you can. That was the only piece of personal gear we were allowed to keep.

Things do change over the years. I was in bootcamp Oct 1977- Jan 1978. We did all our running and PT in combat boots. No such thing as running shoes being allowed.

sandman99and9
02-15-12, 11:13
Reception was the suckiest part for me.

You got that right !! I was told we would be there 48 hrs and I spent 9 ****ing days in the rec. battalion. Love manning the phones and KP all the time :)

Sand Hill FTW !!!!!!!

S.M.

jaxman7
02-15-12, 11:28
You got that right !! I was told we would be there 48 hrs and I spent 9 ****ing days in the rec. battalion. Love manning the phones and KP all the time :)

Sand Hill FTW !!!!!!!

S.M.

What freaked me out about reception was seeing all these guys walking around in tennis shoes with no shoe laces and wearing an orange vest and finding out those were the guys on suicide watch!

-Jax

usmcvet
02-17-12, 20:02
Things do change over the years. I was in bootcamp Oct 1977- Jan 1978. We did all our running and PT in combat boots. No such thing as running shoes being allowed.

We did one "Uts & Boots" run. It was no blouse, t shirt, cammies, boots, 782 gear and rifles. I think it was 3 miles but it could have been less. It was towards the end and was fun and a slow pace.

Belmont31R
02-17-12, 21:17

And that is a good change.

Just like allowing 1 day a week of weight training has a huge increase in PT scores compared to adding additional time to 'field PT' with running or over head arm clap. When we were stuck in Kuwait the scout unit next to us did a half hour a day more PT than us and their unit average was marginally higher than ours. Not really worth a 50% increase in PT time from 1HR to 1 1/2HRS. Doing 1HR of PT a day while making 1 day a week gym time with weights has a much higher impact than adding 1/2HR a day 5X a week while doing nothing but 'Army' PT. With gym stuff, though, you need responsible NCO's to make sure people are actually lifting weights not slacking off and thinking gym day is a day off from PT.

I know, myself, going to the gym 2-3X a week to do abs greatly increased my sit up scores even after only 2 months of 45 minute work outs at the mentioned 2-3X per week rate. I just wasn't getting the muscle gain doing the stuff we did in PT and stalled out. Adding weights to the mix allowed me to advance quite a bit fairly quick.

Caeser25
02-18-12, 09:51
Whatever you enjoy now go do it.

Keep your piehole shut and your ears open. Other than that, here's nothing to worry about, have fun and enjoy it.

The easiest way to increase your pushups, is not pushups, but dips then weighted dips or the dip machine. I didn't do a single pushup in the sandbox until pt test time and in 3 months time I went from 55-60 in 2 minutes to 65 in the first minute alone. If there's a machine and no freeweights/chain/belt, take the seat off the dip machine, turn around with all your weight on it until your body weight moves the weights up like a see saw. Eventually your lifting parter will have to help you by pushing on your shoulders when you you're doing more than your weight.

Skyyr
02-20-12, 18:44
Thanks for the input guys. I'm checking in to the hotel shortly then off to MEPS tomorrow morning. I'll see you on the forums in a few months. Until then...

usmcvet
02-20-12, 20:13
Have fun. Eyes and ears open and for the most part mouth shut. :D I look forward to having you check back in with us.

Kchen986
02-20-12, 20:26
I suppose I'm too late to come in with the advice. Keep us posted when you get back. Good luck, and stay safe.