PDA

View Full Version : Glock Upgrades for G19

reaver22
02-13-12, 18:27
I am wanting to upgrade my bone stock Glock 19 (gen4) and was wondering what kind of upgrades would be on top of the list.

this is my CCW gun and home defense weapon

thanks for your time and help.

one
02-13-12, 18:36
The thread is going to go the route of shooting the gun first to get a level of proficiency and verify reliability. And those answers wont be wrong.

That said. I prefer Heinie Ledge sights or Redback 1 sights. I run both on my Glocks. Others have decent suggestions in that area as well.

Maybe a Vicker's slide stop depending on how you release or manipulate your slide getting it into and out of battery.

sierra 223
02-13-12, 18:37
I dont modify a Glock carry gun much. I like night sights, after that Im pretty satisfied. I would buy some good accesories such as a good IWB and OWB holster, good gun belt, mag pouch, weapon mounted light, defense ammo and practice ammo. I think if you research for good equipment mentioned above along with some practice and training you would be good to go. Just my thoughts. Good Luck.

F-Trooper05
02-13-12, 18:46
The only thing that absolutely positively MUST be added are new sights. Everything else is personal preference.

Mark/MO
02-13-12, 18:53
The only thing that absolutely positively MUST be added are new sights. Everything else is personal preference.

I whole heartedly agree.

mkmckinley
02-13-12, 19:13
Here's what I do in order of importance:

Important:
500+ rds through the gun to make sure it's GTG
Ameriglo Pro Glo I-Dot night sights "GL-201" (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/pro%20idot%20green.jpg)
A good holster: personal preference but I've been using the Bladetech Nano (http://www.blade-tech.com/NANO-IWB-pr-1141.html) and it's been great
Several extra Glock factory mags
Good defensive ammunition (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887)

Nice to have:
25 cent trigger job (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8ZFj7qll4)
Vickers Mag Release
(http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=59)Vickers Slide Stop (http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=137)
Glock 17 flat trigger (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23040/avs%7CManufacturer_1=GLOCK/Product/Trigger-w-Trigger-Bar)

JSGlock34
02-13-12, 19:21

Exactly. My preference runs to Warren sights on Glocks.

Frailer
02-13-12, 20:16

Even that is personal preference. I've never felt the need to swap out the cheap plastic factory sights on any of my Glocks.

The only "upgrades" I opt for are extra mags, and lots of them.

JSGlock34
02-13-12, 20:23
Even that is personal preference. I've never felt the need to swap out the cheap plastic factory sights on any of my Glocks.

The only "upgrades" I opt for are extra mags, and lots of them.

I consider tritium sights a mandatory upgrade for a carry pistol. The plastic sights are prone to breakage under hard use, and are unsuitable for one handed manipulations where you need to use the rear sight to rack the slide. There are plenty of sight options for the Glock - the optional steel OEM factory night sights are perfectly serviceable, rugged and reasonably priced ($59).

d90king
02-13-12, 20:24
I upgrade the following on all of my Glocks but they are Gen 3's.

SIGHTS the factory are amongst the worst sights made.
Vickers mag release. Big improvement over stock, but not sure about Gen 4.
Vickers extended slide stop. ".....................^^^^^............."
plug.

Lots off ammo and training should also be a high priority considering it's your carry gun.

skyugo
02-13-12, 20:39
has any body said night sights, a training class and 2 cases of ammo yet?

spare mags are nice too.

get a good holster and a good belt.

make sure it runs... if not, lone wolf extractor and white sound extractor plunger assembly are supposed to work miracles. Make sure you have the latest rev glock recoil spring assembly in it too. Have to google around as to what it is exactly... it should have a 3 stamped on it i think (somebody correct me if i'm wrong)

PlatoCATM
02-13-12, 21:01
The sights have to go. Even if you don't want tritium, the plastic sights do not withstand abuse of any sort, to include racking the slide with the rear sights.

The only other improvement I deem necessary is the vickers mag release. After learning to shoot it well you could play with different connectors, grip force adapter, or a grip plug.

NeoNeanderthal
02-13-12, 21:02
The stock sights not only have a terrible sight picture, but they are a huge liability in my opinion and can just get worn off from drawing.

As everyone else has said, metal sights, and butt plug are only the things you can/should get before you even shoot it. The only gun upgrades i know of that are good to get even before any trigger time (besides magazines and ammo :-))

Once you shoot it, see if you have issues manipulating the mag release and slide stop. If you don't then don't get extended ones. For me the slidestop is plenty big enough but the stock mag release is almost unusable for my hands.

A good holster, mags, ammo, and belt are important and many peopke skimp in this area while pumping money into their guns.

SW-Shooter
02-13-12, 21:12
My opinion only, but the following is something I do for every one of my Glock handguns.

Not necessarily in any order:

Ammunition (Practice with your carry load at least every other range trip)
Magazines (no less than 8)
Glock OEM 3.5 Connector
Glock OEM Olive 8 lbs trigger spring
Extended slide stop/release (preference is up to you)
Lightning Strike recoil rod assembly (captured)
Lightning Strike Titanium Safety Plunger
Night sights ( I prefer Trijicon, but preference is up to you)
Glockmeister sight tool or other comparable brand
Rail mounted light ( Streamlight TLR 1s, Surefire, Insight)
Good solid holster (I prefer Raven Concealment Systems)
Spare parts kit (including magazine springs)

I'm merely talking about addition/modifications to the gun, not the shooter. Schooling is essential.

Lightning Strike
http://www.lspi.com/products.html
Glockmeister sight tool:
http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Sight-Tool-for-All-GLOCK-Models/productinfo/GMST/
Raven Concealment Systems:
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/

VIP3R 237
02-13-12, 21:12
Here is one of the better articles ive read on glock mods.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/01/glock-setup-tips/

It helped lead me in the right direction with my glocks.

reaver22
02-13-12, 22:29
the gun has had over 550 rounds thru it and havent had any problems

reaver22
02-13-12, 22:38
I thought about buying some skate board tape or some of that friction tape hockey players use for the grip. I was also looking into the ameriglo I-pro sights or Trijicon sights.

I keep hearing people switching out this connector for that connector having no idea how to change out parts kinda on the ropes about that stuff (for being to difficult to do on my own)

High Altitude
02-13-12, 22:43
On my gen4 19 this is what I did or will be doing.

new sights - not sure which sights to put on it yet
smooth trigger - done
.25cent trigger job - done

If it was a gen 3 I would put on a vickers mag release, but the gen4 mag release works great as is for me.

My gen4 19 has the dot connector and after the polish job the trigger is very nice. Smooth take up with slight creep/rolling break. Trigger weight is less than a gen3 5.5 connector, but slightly more than a gen3 3.5 connector. For me the trigger feels perfect and all factory parts, I really like it.

Right now I am putting a bunch of different types of rounds through it to prove it before I start to carry it. To be honest, with all the latest problems Glock is going through, it is going to take some rounds to get to the point where I trust it.

Renegade
02-13-12, 22:54

If it is a range gun, no big deal. But OP said his is a CCW/HD gun, and the front sight is staked on, and could easily come out. That is unacceptable for a gun you bet your life on.

Endur
02-13-12, 23:01
This is a good thread as I am looking for mods for my glock as well but it is a 23. From what I understand it uses most of the same mods as the 19. I have already ordered a vickers enhanced mag release and a ls captured guide rod assem as I don't trust a polymer one no matter how many people havn't had an issue. I want a vickers enhanced slide stop as well. Once it gets a couple hundred rounds through it I will decide what else I want to mod. It's a gen 3 with the new style extractor but my serial starts with a n and what I read on here it should be gtg. It has the glock steel night sights on it but I don't how well I will like them.

Rattlehead
02-13-12, 23:04
I thought about buying some skate board tape or some of that friction tape hockey players use for the grip. I was also looking into the ameriglo I-pro sights or Trijicon sights.

I keep hearing people switching out this connector for that connector having no idea how to change out parts kinda on the ropes about that stuff (for being to difficult to do on my own)

Changing parts on a Glock is fairly straight forward. There aren't a butt load of OEM connectors for Glocks (which makes things easier), but I'm assuming they were talking about Glock's minus connector.

I wouldn't change out the connector until you've shot it a considerable amount with the stock gen 4's connector.

I'd recommend some good night sights, like Heinie Straight Eight's or Trijicon HD's. Then maybe look in to getting a quality weapon light, like a Surefire X300.

ST911
02-13-12, 23:06
Buy ammo. Shoot the gun. If your gun is life support gear, or reliability is otherwise important, stick with OEM components.

High quality night sights are a great addition. Everything else is dubious or subjective in value. Few "improvements", are.

Magsz
02-13-12, 23:09
Guys, why are people incapable of making up their own minds as to what is going to work for them?

Everyone is different. There are literally eleventy billion modifications to the Glock pistol available on the commercial market and all of them are not created equal.

Here is a for instance. I love the Vickers Slide catch. However, i know people that cannot run this as it promotes premature lock back for them.

I also know guys that reload faster than i do with the factory extended catch on a multitude of guns with zero problems. On a G19 i cannot run the factory extended catch, yet i can on a G17 or G34 in part, due to the different grip sizing between guns.

Look here for inspiration but know and understand that there is no hard template for improvement other than time spent on the range. You need to find out what works for YOU and then roll with it. Being an analytical gun owner creates a better environment for your own growth.

Endur
02-13-12, 23:10
Speaking of lights I am digging that insight m3x in tan.

Rattlehead
02-13-12, 23:12
I have already ordered a vickers enhanced mag release and a ls captured guide rod assem as I don't trust a polymer one no matter how many people havn't had an issue.

You will have one hell of a time breaking a stock Glock guide rod.

Endur
02-13-12, 23:14

I just don't trust it at all. Maybe it is just me. :haha:

EzGoingKev
02-14-12, 20:39
make sure it runs... if not, lone wolf extractor and white sound extractor plunger assembly are supposed to work miracles.

I do not know about that, there is contradictory info on this site about the Lone Wolf Extractor.

As to the OP's question, it comes down to personal preference as others mentioned.

I cannot fully depress the magazine release the magazine release that comes in the pistol without completely changing my grip so I change that out. I have tried the factory Glock extended release and the Vickers. For me the Glock extended one is too long. The Vickers release works good, but I wish it was a CH longer.

I also do not like the factory slide release. It is too smooth and flat. It is hard to release, especially if your hands are wet at all. I have run the Glock extended part and the Vickers. I like the Vickers, better texture and the top portion is wider so you can get good traction on it.

I think the stock sights suck. I will only use a squared off rear sight as I want to be able to use it to rack the slide off something flat. I like a plain rear as I find any markings on the back to be a distraction, YMMV. I have the Ameriglo orange dot up front, but I am not sure it works for me and my deteriorating eyesight. I feel my eyes are getting distracted by the dot. Again, YMMV.

These are the first things I would do.

JSGlock34
02-14-12, 22:23

You can buy pre-cut skateboard tape for the Glock - or just go to a sporting goods store and purchase a giant sheet of skateboard tape for half the price and cut it yourself. I run grip tape on my GEN3 guns, but personally I find the RTF grip on the GEN4 aggressive enough to not need any enhancements.

I don't think there is any reason to make any modifications to your pistol that would require a detail strip until you've shot it extensively in the stock configuration and determined what you would like to change. You don't know what you don't know.

Get a decent set of sights on the pistol (you mentioned some good options) and run it through a class under the eye of a skilled instructor - and then make some informed changes. Or not - I know plenty of guys who shoot a stock G19 to great effect.

If at that point you are so inclined to make some adjustments to the trigger, the article posted by VIP3R 237 is a great resource. I recommend sticking with Glock OEM parts.

F-Trooper05
02-14-12, 22:53
I just don't trust it at all. Maybe it is just me. :haha:

I would reconsider that opinion, bro. Hundreds of thousands of people can attest to the fact that Glock OEM guide rods are good to go. The same can't be said for aftermarket guide rods. There's a chance you could be doing more harm than good.

Jake'sDad
02-15-12, 02:12
I did an interesting upgrade on my Gen 4 19.

I used a sight pusher, and pushed the the front and rear sights out of the way enough, to slide another pistol in that actually works.

Best mod I ever did.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
02-15-12, 02:23
I would reconsider that opinion, bro. Hundreds of thousands of people can attest to the fact that Glock OEM guide rods are good to go. The same can't be said for aftermarket guide rods. There's a chance you could be doing more harm than good.

I totally agree- the stock guide rod's reliability is fine despite it being plastic. However, I switched mine out to a SS guide rod cuz I like the bit of added weight to the front end of the gun. After a comparison test using the stock rod and SS rod, I found the gun shoots better with the latter-- especially during rapid fire. My Gen 3 G19 came with factory night sights installed. No other mods needed IMO.

Long Tom Coffin
02-15-12, 09:03
has any body said night sights, a training class and 2 cases of ammo yet?

spare mags are nice too.

get a good holster and a good belt.

make sure it runs... if not, lone wolf extractor and white sound extractor plunger assembly are supposed to work miracles. Make sure you have the latest rev glock recoil spring assembly in it too. Have to google around as to what it is exactly... it should have a 3 stamped on it i think (somebody correct me if i'm wrong)

Here Here.

To the OP, you find this forum skewed pretty heavily towards the function over form side of the spectrum. The only thing you need on a brand new glock is a set of quality tritium night sights. After that, you need a good belt (I would recommend a Wilderness Instructor belt), a good belt holster and mag carriers (I would recommend any of the kydex holsters from Shin at X-Concealment. Well designed and G2G), lots of practice ammunition, spare mags, and some training courses.

Adding useless shit to your Glock that you will later take off won't make you capable with it; taking quality training courses will.

After you have taken those training courses, and fired at least 1,000 through the gun, then you should be able to form a reasonable idea as to where, if anywhere, the gun is not meeting your expectations, and then you can look at other possible "upgrades"

wwright521
02-15-12, 09:10
Glad you started this thread.. Looking for upgrades to my glock 19 also..

reaver22
02-15-12, 13:35
little update I ordered the vickers combo set of slide release and mag release and a set of Trijicon HD orange night sights. and went down to my local skate shop and got some skate tape for the grips. I figured I could live with the trigger for now.

I also put about 200 more rounds through it yesturday still with no jams or extractor malfunctions.

ST911
02-15-12, 16:15
I totally agree- the stock guide rod's reliability is fine despite it being plastic. However, I switched mine out to a SS guide rod cuz I like the bit of added weight to the front end of the gun. After a comparison test using the stock rod and SS rod, I found the gun shoots better with the latter-- especially during rapid fire. My Gen 3 G19 came with factory night sights installed. No other mods needed IMO.

If I hand you two Glocks, one with the SS guide rod and one with the OEM captured rod, can you tell the difference? Really?

Univibe
02-15-12, 16:32
Glad you started this thread.. Looking for upgrades to my glock 19 also..

Best upgrade is to sell it and get a Browning Hi-Power.

d90king
02-15-12, 16:40
Best upgrade is to sell it and get a Browning Hi-Power.

I assume you are new here? Leave these retarded responses for the other forums you frequent.

A Hi Power would be one of the last guns I would ever choose as a hard use training and carry gun.

This forum is not the place for this stupid shit. Knock it off or leave.

d90king
02-15-12, 16:50

Would you be so kind as to define "shoots better" ?

I'm tracking that you "believe" that due to the increased weight of the SS GR that it helps mitigate recoil, but I lost you at the "shoots better" part.

Have you run various drills @25 yds that require precision using the stock night sights? Run the 700 and let me know how they perform.

hank2165
02-15-12, 17:15
DeFoor Tactical sights. Ameriglo
KKM Barrel.
my 0.02

Endur
02-15-12, 22:18

I'm tracking that you "believe" that due to the increased weight of the SS GR that it helps mitigate recoil, but I lost you at the "shoots better" part.

Have you run various drills @25 yds that require precision using the stock night sights? Run the 700 and let me know how they perform.

I was wondering the same thing..

The stock night sights no good?

markdh720
02-15-12, 22:29
I bought a used Gen 3 G19 from a buddy. After I had an armorer inspect it, I had Ameriglo Pro Operator sights installed. After handling the weapon for a bit, I understood some of the complaints about the mag release. I installed the Vicker's extended mag release and it's worth the $13 I paid. The final touch? About 5 extra mags, totaling 10. This weapon is now outstanding.

I handled a Gen 4 G19 and G17. I couldn't see personally changing anything besides the sights, which are garbage.

JSGlock34
02-16-12, 07:30

I would describe the stock night sights as serviceable. Given a choice, I'd prefer a sight with a wider rear notch like a set of Warrens, especially when shooting a more demanding drill like d90 describes. I use Warren carry sights on my G34.

That said, I know plenty of guys who shoot Glocks that come with the factory night sights, because that is what they are issued. And they perform quite well - though that's a reflection of their overall skill rather than the tool they are using at the moment. Not everyone has a choice in pistol configuration.

In any case, I still consider the factory night sights far superior to the plastic placeholders that come with the pistols and an inexpensive upgrade when ordered direct from Glock, but given a choice, there are better options. Some LE agencies are actually coming to realize this, and the adoption of the Warren two dot sights as standard on the Glocks purchased under the ATF contract is a welcome change.

d90king
02-16-12, 07:55
I was wondering the same thing..

They are just to tight to be used for any type of precision shooting in my experience.

Irish
02-16-12, 08:49
Rarely do I chime in on threads like this but what the hell... I would suggest using all OEM internal parts if you decide to swap any out. What I've done to my Glock 19's (Gen 3).

Installed Ameriglo sights. Hack front (green) with Pro Operator rears (yellow).

Installed Vickers slide stop and mag release.

Installed smooth trigger and butt plug.

Removed finger grooves and stippled frame.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8602/p1020379fp.jpg

cathellsk
02-16-12, 11:15
Some LE agencies are actually coming to realize this, and the adoption of the Warren two dot sights as standard on the Glocks purchased under the ATF contract is a welcome change.

Thats cool, don't remember reading that concerning that contract. Any more info on that, a link or something?

Endur
02-16-12, 12:00
I would describe the stock night sights as serviceable. Given a choice, I'd prefer a sight with a wider rear notch like a set of Warrens, especially when shooting a more demanding drill like d90 describes. I use Warren carry sights on my G34.

That said, I know plenty of guys who shoot Glocks that come with the factory night sights, because that is what they are issued. And they perform quite well - though that's a reflection of their overall skill rather than the tool they are using at the moment. Not everyone has a choice in pistol configuration.

In any case, I still consider the factory night sights far superior to the plastic placeholders that come with the pistols and an inexpensive upgrade when ordered direct from Glock, but given a choice, there are better options. Some LE agencies are actually coming to realize this, and the adoption of the Warren two dot sights as standard on the Glocks purchased under the ATF contract is a welcome change.

Warren sights the sights to go with if changed?

G_M
02-16-12, 13:07
Things to do right away:
1) 3.5lb trigger - Improves your accuracy no matter what level of shooting you are at.
2) Extended Mag Release - Don't have to regrip the gun when doing mag changes.

Things to do if you have spare change:
Night sights - Glock night sights are decent, you can shoot 9/10 rings at 25 yards with them. But having aftermarket sights will enable you to do that slightly faster. Also the stock NightSights sometimes make you have to do a 6 o'clock hold to hit center mass at 25 yards. If this isn't something you like and want POA/POI at 25 yards then you will want to go with aftermarket sights that do this.

Match Barrel - IMO never until you shoot out your current barrel.

JSGlock34
02-16-12, 14:39
Thats cool, don't remember reading that concerning that contract. Any more info on that, a link or something?

See this thread here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1913-BATF-Glock-sights). The SME posting the information was a consultant to the competition (as discussed here (http://pistol-training.com/archives/3583)).

Warren sights the sights to go with if changed?

Sights are very much personal preference. I personally like the Warren Tactical two dot sights. I won't claim that I've tried every sight combination on the market, but since switching to the Warrens I've yet to come across a set where I've thought "I've got to get me some of these."

I figure that when top pistol shooters like Scott Warren and David Sevigny put their heads together and design a line of sights, they're a good bet. I also seem to recall that half of the top IDPA shooters were using Warren sights one year. I've also seen a lot of Warrens used to good effect at the various classes I've attended as well.

You won't go wrong with a set of Warrens, but there are other good sights out there.

Endur
02-16-12, 15:27
See this thread here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1913-BATF-Glock-sights). The SME posting the information was a consultant to the competition (as discussed here (http://pistol-training.com/archives/3583)).

Sights are very much personal preference. I personally like the Warren Tactical two dot sights. I won't claim that I've tried every sight combination on the market, but since switching to the Warrens I've yet to come across a set where I've thought "I've got to get me some of these."

I figure that when top pistol shooters like Scott Warren and David Sevigny put their heads together and design a line of sights, they're a good bet. I also seem to recall that half of the top IDPA shooters were using Warren sights one year. I've also seen a lot of Warrens used to good effect at the various classes I've attended as well.

You won't go wrong with a set of Warrens, but there are other good sights out there.

I will look into them. Any useful advice on flat triggers?

JSGlock34
02-16-12, 15:41

Sorry, no. My G34/17 have flat triggers; my G19/26 have the serrated triggers. I find the difference negligible.

Endur
02-16-12, 15:54
Rarely do I chime in on threads like this but what the hell... I would suggest using all OEM internal parts if you decide to swap any out. What I've done to my Glock 19's (Gen 3).

Installed Ameriglo sights. Hack front (green) with Pro Operator rears (yellow).

Installed Vickers slide stop and mag release.

Installed smooth trigger and butt plug.

Removed finger grooves and stippled frame.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8602/p1020379fp.jpg

I like the space on the rear sight.

Irish
02-16-12, 16:54

This is the one you want, it drops right in. http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7237&CAT=750

Endur
02-16-12, 16:58
Thanks and what is a good spring weight as I want to lessen the pull but I don't want it to light?

Irish
02-16-12, 17:24
Thanks and what is a good spring weight as I want to lessen the pull but I don't want it to light?

This is the connector most people use and is commonly referred to as the "-" (minus) connector. http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=6648&CAT=705

Some people use it in conjunction with the NY1 (olive) trigger spring. http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7260&CAT=749

I have no connection with glockparts other than being a happy customer.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
02-16-12, 17:26
If I hand you two Glocks, one with the SS guide rod and one with the OEM captured rod, can you tell the difference? Really?

Yep. As I said, when firing the guns side by side with the different rods I could tell a difference. Not a huge difference, but enough for me to keep the SS GR. YMMV.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
02-16-12, 17:47

That's exactly what it meant by "shoots better"-- the added weight helps lessen the muzzle flip (esp. with +P loads) and slightly improves the balance of the gun IMO. Nothing to do with reliability as I think the stock guide rod is just fine. In no way am I saying this is a "must do" mod. The G19 is perfect out of the box. But for me, in comparison with shooting my G19 with the stock GR-- the SS rod makes the gun feel just a bit better in my hands and that's good enough for me.

I've found the stock night sights to work just fine for me-- I've run this gun in the Defoor Advanced 2-day pistol class. No problems at 25-- no problems at 50.

LRB45
02-16-12, 18:08
So far the only thing I have changed on my G19 is the sights which I installed Ameriglo Pro Operators. Also picked up some extra magazines and ammo.

Might look into the Vickers mag release since the factory one does give me some trouble once in a while.

One other thing I might change is the guide rod. Kinda like the BT guide rods and might get one. Anyone have experience with these?

CommackBoy
02-16-12, 22:15
Install real sights on it and buy ammo with the rest of the money.

contax_shooter
02-18-12, 11:00
Although I cannot suggest the AmeriGlo Hackathorn night sights without any experience, I do like to photograph new stuff in my possession.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzll9qDmA21qaq58uo1_r1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329670792&Signature=SJtsDIQ9%2B5nhkbQ3pMG0Xll33yQ%3D

KTR03
02-18-12, 13:59
I have the hackathorn sights on my several of my 19s. They are awesome.

I am firmly on the side of running it stock, replacing only things like sights, and external controls. Unless you need a threaded barrel to run a can, I'd stick with the stock barrel and recoil spring.

one
02-18-12, 16:44
Unless you need a threaded barrel to run a can, I'd stick with the stock barrel and recoil spring.

Factory threaded barrels are easily available if you want to run a can so even that's not an issue anymore for suppressor users wanting OEM parts. That's what I'm running on my 19. Same for factory recoil spring. No problem at all with an SWR Trident 9

xjustintimex
02-18-12, 18:24

yea my ss guide rod equiped glock sounds different when the slide comes back :p aside from that I cant tell a difference

RD62
02-18-12, 19:28

I did it once during departmental weapons training while practicing one handed manipulations. I snapped the head off the guide rod. However, I didn't realize and continued for the next two days without incident.

I discovered the breakage after training was over when I went to clean the pistol as the spring was no longer captive. The weapon had continued to function through several hundred rounds.

I went to the Dept armorer and received a new recoil spring assembly. Dropped it in, reassembled the weapon, and that was that.

I keep a couple extras now just in case and for preventative maintenance to replace worn recoil springs.

It happens but isn't common and I certainly wouldn't worry about it or replace the factory with aftermarket.

I also vote for night sights. The factory ones have served me well on a couple of different Glocks. I'll be picking up a 19 soon and will be looking for night sights and will probably look for some with contrasting tritium though.

I don't run an extended slide release as I use an overhanded "slingshot" on all semi-automatic handguns, but I'm sure the Vickers is a good one for those so inclined.

I am currently using the factory mag release but I have large hands so the reach isn't an issue for me. I have contemplated picking up a Vickers one to try out though.

I put a plug in all of my Glocks.

I recently swapped to a factory "-" connector and NY1 trigger spring. I like the reset with this combo better than stock, but having shot many thousands of rounds with the original 5.5 connectors and trigger springs find them completely serviceable and not something that "needs" to be changed.

FlatFender
02-18-12, 20:20
Hi guys, first technical post on m4c.

I run the Ameriglo Hackethorn sights on my G19 which is my primary carry gun. I've found the front sight to be extremely quick to pick up.

I also have a set of Warrens on my G17, and while they are great sights, I have found that the added height of these sights tends to chew up some holsters (ALS).

On the topic of the steel guide rod, I added one to my G24 uspsa limited pistol, and I was having issues with the guide rod not staying in the right spot on the barrel lug, resulting in the pistol not returning 100% back into battery. I ended up having to radius the edge a bit with my dremel to keep it in place. Fine for a game gun, but I will stick with stock for my carry pistol.

To the OP, I would recommend some quality sights, mags, and a boatload of ammo. I've played with all sorts of fun go fast parts, and I keep going back to a relatively box stock carry pistol.

Harv
02-18-12, 20:34
My two cents..
I just picked up a Like new Gen 3 RTF2 G19. This is my new CCW gun. The gun came with 3.5# trigger and Ameriglow Hackthorn sights..I really like these sights. Just came back from the range to check the zero and make sure everything is good. Very accurate and easy to pick up.

Everything I have read about them has been spot on. They are very GTG. As to the 3.5# trigger. My G17 has a stock 5.5# trigger and I have been very good with that. I'm not sure I would have put a 3.5# trigger on this gun but since it has it, they do provide a very nice trigger.

I have ran the Vickers extended Mag release since they came out. Big fan. I will be getting one for my G19. Other then that... I leave the gun stock and shoot it. So far, I am very happy with the G19. It has been everything I thought it would be. I now understand why this is such a popular CCW gun... it really is all that...

Frailer
02-18-12, 21:30
If it is a range gun, no big deal. But OP said his is a CCW/HD gun, and the front sight is staked on...

No. It isn't.

Heavy Metal
02-18-12, 22:47
Here is one of the better articles ive read on glock mods.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/01/glock-setup-tips/

It helped lead me in the right direction with my glocks.

The author of that article is none other than a SME/Mod on this very board.

Endur
02-18-12, 23:13

I just read that whole article and very good write up. Just vastly improved my knowledge of the glock in about 10 minutes.

VIP3R 237
02-18-12, 23:21

Good to know, who is it?

OldGreg
02-19-12, 00:02
Good to know, who is it?

M4Guru. He's the man for writing that article, it was very cool of him to take the time to do that.

lifebreath
02-19-12, 08:56
I just read that whole article and very good write up. Just vastly improved my knowledge of the glock in about 10 minutes.

Absolutely. All my recent questions answered right there.

Pivo
02-19-12, 10:36
Are there any accessories for left handed G19 slide-lock?

I am used to M&P ambi slide lock and I am missing it on my G19 gen4.

rob_s
02-19-12, 10:54
I am wanting to upgrade my bone stock Glock 19 (gen4) and was wondering what kind of upgrades would be on top of the list.

this is my CCW gun and home defense weapon

thanks for your time and help.

what is the gun not doing for you as it came from the box?