PDA

View Full Version : My CFAK, Citizens First Aid Kit

mercop
02-13-12, 18:37
For a long time I carried two separate kits, one was the Boo Boo Kit and the other was a TIMS Kit (Traumatic Injury Management Skills) or what most people would call a Blow Out Kit,. A while back I decided to merge them into what I call my CFAK (Citizens First Aid Kit). What makes it different than an IFAK is the typical blow out kit contents included in the kit. As citizens we are the true first responders and everyone should have basic lifesaving skills and the minimal gear close at hand. This kit is always in the Bag Of Evil, whether I am on the road or in the woods.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/IMAG0797.jpg?t=1329176440

A little bit about the kit, I use a pouch made for me by SO TECH as part of another project we are working on. It is 7.5 X 5.5 and 3.5 inches wide. The trauma stuff includes-

CAT Tourniquet

Israeli Bandage

Quick Clot

Forceps

What allows me to fit so much in a small bag is my use of glassine baggies containing the following-

Ammonia Inhalants

Sting Relief

Burn Relief

Sinus Relief

Band Aids (heavy duty cloth & cartoon ones for kids)

Steri- Strips

Hydrocortisone Cream

The way they sit in the bag lets me or anyone else go through them like a Rolodex. They all have labels on them.

In the Med Box are OTC and RX meds based on my needs-

Anti Diarrhea

800 MG Ibuprophen

Anti Inflammatory

Antibiotic

I plan on adding meds for nausea and a heavy duty pain killer.

The black pouch contains 3 pairs of gloves. On top of the gloves in the picture is a pair of Uncle Bills Sliver Grippers.

This kit is not the be all end all. It is based on my needs in the past and what I believe are most probable in the future. If the kit was much bigger than this I don’t see it being carried as EDC. The CFAK is one pouch out of my four basic sub loads. It is of course marked with red para cord. The Admin pouch is marked with blue, the Survival Pouch marked with Toxic Green, and for the Power “pouch” I instead use a Pelican 1040 case to keep all things electronic bone dry. These four pouches/bags get tossed into whatever bag I am using that day.

I am a Dad of three. The three most used items in the kit are the band aids, burn gel, and anti-diarrhea. Those things have saved many a family outing. When I find myself needing something more than once I add it. I have not added much in a long time.

In the below pick you can get an idea of the size of the pouch compared to my Glock 19.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/IMAG0798.jpg?t=1329176440

Comments appreciated- George

SeriousStudent
02-13-12, 19:17
George - interesting post, I like the idea. I have something similiar in my EDC bag I tote to work.

For our viewers at home regarding the prescription meds: It's always a very good idea to carry them in the pharmacy container you received them in, with the original label and instructions. A police officer's mental radar tends to ping a bit when they see loose pills, and rightfully so.

I have been pretty happy with the Olaes bandages, but do like how flat the Izzy bandages fits in a pack.

mercop
02-13-12, 19:29
Good point. As retired LE I am hoping that any officer I run across will have the common sense to see that this is a FAK and I am not slinging on a corner.- George

brit
02-13-12, 19:31
I like the idea of the plastic baggies and the rolodexing to get to different items.

I have found that I have needed 4x4s, kerlix, 3M plastic tape on GSWs much more than quikclot. They are more versatile in other situations too, just my opinion.

SeriousStudent
02-13-12, 19:42
Good point. As retired LE I am hoping that any officer I run across will have the common sense to see that this is a FAK and I am not slinging on a corner.- George

And how many rookies did you have to square away during your career? :D

And you know I'm teasing. I have appreciated your advice, and love the Bag of Evil concept.

Stay safe.

mallowpufft
02-13-12, 20:02
I'm not a medic but I have been a professional ski patroller for the past decade. I keep a few different FAKs depending on what I'm doing. I have my full load out that is specified by work.
My personal set ups are based around the most common injuries I see during the winter as well as during the summer MTB season.
My kit that lives in my car and gets grabbed for everything is based around
3 triangular bandages,
6 4x4's,
1 ABD,
6-12 (a handful) of 2x2's,
2 rolls of 2" cling,
1 6" roll of cling,
1 roll of good medical tape,
4 tongue depressers,
an eye patch,
a nasal airway,
one of those cheap cpr masks on a key ring
and an assortment of bandaids and wound cleaning pads.
Oh, 3 pair of nitrile gloves and a snack size zip bag with a couple individually wrapped tylenol and aspirin and a couple pieces of hard candy. I recently put a 10ft hunk of 550 cord in it.

I plan on picking up a Numask cpr mask to test out as well as they're far smaller than a standard non rebreather mask.
That set up only weighs a few ounces and fits in a small red Outdoor Research bag I've had for years. It's cold out now or I'd go take a pic of it. It's maybe 7x5x2".
In the car I keep a surplus SAM style splint, bandage shears, glucose gel, and a full set of oral airways. When biking the shears, glucose and splint get tossed in the pack.

With that I can stabilize pretty much anything while I wait for EMS/ALS to transport.

mercop
02-13-12, 20:11
Good stuff

medicman816
02-13-12, 23:14
I will preface by saying that I am a medic. I must say that you carry much more than I do. Here is what I want:
Gloves, to protect yourself
4x4s, stop bleeding
cling, hold 4x4 in place
cravats, sling and swath, torniquete if needed
asprin, pain relief, chewed for chest pain, only when directed to by
911 unless you know the person well
aleve, pain relief
burn jel, brand name, for burns
benedryl, allergic reaction

You will notice, NO:
CPR, im only going to do compressions, unless your family, then I
dont need a mask
CAT, this is a unitasker, see above
Quickclot, on the fence on this one, have used it twice in three years
on the ambulance, doesnt work well enough to be carried.
Oral or nasal airways, not useful unless you have an assortment, takes up a lot of space.

I have a few questions, asked below. Overall, seems well thought out. Just remember that the good Samaritan laws only go so far, then you are practicing medicine. As a general rule, keep it BLS as it seems you have for the most part. Offering drugs of any kind to someone other than your family may prove to be problematic, depending on the setting. I dont know you. I do know some cowboy EMT's in my area that were running around to accident scenes and the like and pretending to be trauma surgeons. That scares me which is why i sometimes come off strongly when it comes to this kind of thing. I know enough to tell then to get lost, others may not.
Here is what I want a bystander to have done when I arrive on scene as a medic.
Chest compressions, airway and breathing optional
AED if one is available.
Control bleeding, direct pressure first, then tourniquet, then quick clot if they have it.
Get a brief history if possible, in case they aren't conscious when I get there.
Find a medication list, if possible.
C-spine if you want.
TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN AS FEW WORDS AS POSSIBLE. I capitalize that one because it is important. If someone is bleeding out or in arrest I do not need to know that they saw their grandkids that morning. I do not need to know that they like apple pie. Use simple sentences.
Then, GET OUT OF THE WAY.

For a long time I carried two separate kits, one was the Boo Boo Kit and the other was a TIMS Kit (Traumatic Injury Management Skills) or what most people would call a Blow Out Kit,. A while back I decided to merge them into what I call my CFAK (Citizens First Aid Kit). What makes it different than an IFAK is the typical blow out kit contents included in the kit. As citizens we are the true first responders and everyone should have basic lifesaving skills and the minimal gear close at hand. This kit is always in the Bag Of Evil, whether I am on the road or in the woods.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/IMAG0797.jpg?t=1329176440

A little bit about the kit, I use a pouch made for me by SO TECH as part of another project we are working on. It is 7.5 X 5.5 and 3.5 inches wide. The trauma stuff includes-

CAT Tourniquet

Israeli Bandage

Quick Clot

Forceps For?

What allows me to fit so much in a small bag is my use of glassine baggies containing the following-

Ammonia InhalantsNot recommended any more.

Sting Relief

Burn Relief

Sinus Relief

Band Aids (heavy duty cloth & cartoon ones for kids)

Steri- StripsFor?

Hydrocortisone Cream

The way they sit in the bag lets me or anyone else go through them like a Rolodex. They all have labels on them.

In the Med Box are OTC and RX meds based on my needs-

Anti Diarrhea

800 MG Ibuprophen

Anti Inflammatory

AntibioticDo you mean antibiotic ointment or oral antibiotics. THe former is fine, the latter is questionable. First, they will not do much good in a pre-hospital setting. Second, blindly taking an antibiotic is somewhat foolish. Third, many antibiotics become harmful after they expire. totally up to you but I wouldnt even tempt myself with this one. truly, if your in bad enough shape to need antibiotics then the doctor that fixes you up will prescribe them. If you are that far away from a doctor, something else will kill you before the infection does.

I plan on adding meds for nausea and a heavy duty pain killer.I would be careful with pain killers. If they are prescribed to you that is fine, until you given them to someone else.

The black pouch contains 3 pairs of gloves. On top of the gloves in the picture is a pair of Uncle Bills Sliver Grippers.

This kit is not the be all end all. It is based on my needs in the past and what I believe are most probable in the future. If the kit was much bigger than this I don’t see it being carried as EDC. The CFAK is one pouch out of my four basic sub loads. It is of course marked with red para cord. The Admin pouch is marked with blue, the Survival Pouch marked with Toxic Green, and for the Power “pouch” I instead use a Pelican 1040 case to keep all things electronic bone dry. These four pouches/bags get tossed into whatever bag I am using that day.

I am a Dad of three. The three most used items in the kit are the band aids, burn gel, and anti-diarrhea. Those things have saved many a family outing. When I find myself needing something more than once I add it. I have not added much in a long time.

In the below pick you can get an idea of the size of the pouch compared to my Glock 19.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/IMAG0798.jpg?t=1329176440

Comments appreciated- George

mallowpufft
02-14-12, 06:19
Yep, the tylenol is for me or friends that ask for it if we're skiing or biking. Aspirin to be chewed if under orders of 911 or person believed to be having heart attack and out of range of cell phone.
The reason I keep a nasal airway in the pack is because it can be cut to size and takes up little to no room.
The tongue depressors are because biking and hoofing it around the mountains I see lots of jammed up fingers and people that don't like to have their finger taped to another one while they bike out.
I didn't used to keep the nasal airway or a cpr mask with me till I had an emergency at my other job (assisted living for adults with Intellectual Disabilities) and had one of my clients die while I gave him CPR.
Later found out he had a heart condition and there's nothing anyone short if a full OR could do.
Then I found out he had Hep B...
Thankfully I tested negative and have continued to but the mask makes me feel better.

chuckman
02-14-12, 06:23
I think it is a fine kit, and I especially like the roach clip! :)

mercop
02-14-12, 07:42
Medicman, thanks for the input.

Truthfully I am not sure why the forceps are in there:D
I have used the steri strips on myself before.
I will toss the inhalants.

All the meds are for me. I get Gout and if you have never had it I hope you never do. It is like someone heating up a metal rod an driving it into the joint of your big toe. The anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic are what my Doc (private student) has me keep on hand for flare ups. I travel a lot to train and go to the woods. I will not travel without them.

I really appreciate all the good feedback from people who have forgot more than I will ever know about this stuff. It is not my lane but one we can all be forced into. IMHO it is the most important and ignored skill set.- George

medicman816
02-14-12, 08:25
Totally understand what you are saying about the meds now. You know what you need for yourself and it is very reasonable to carry specialized items for self use. Also makes sense to carry special items based on your environment or frequent activities. If I excercised as much as I should I'm sure I would carry something like an ace bandage for strains and sprains. What I usually tell people when they ask about a first aid kit is this: get what you know how to use and are comfortable using. Training is a big part of this site and I don't think it should stop at this section. Most of what I learned in 120 hours at EMT class could be taught in 4 or 8 hours. The principles of Basic Life Support are just that: basic. Circulation, Airway, Breathing, direct pressure, torniquete, splint one joint above and one below the injury, get a good history, meds, allergies, what exactly happened, etc. Ok, enough with that tangent. I also understand why people want to carry a CPR mask. It is commendable that you are willing to stop and help. I think that the trend of compression-only CPR will continue, lessening the need for a mask. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the 2015 guidelines came out and expressly stated NO BREATHING. THere are EMS systems out the that are holding ventilation attempts for up to 6 minutes after they arrive; focusing on compressions, medications, and electrical therapy. They are having very impressive results. 911 systems are also finding that callers are more likely to comply with CPR instructions if they don't include breathing. It has only improved survival in places that are doing this. All of these things led to my decision to eliminate the pocket mask from my kit. Thanks for being prepared, you are far ahead of where most people are.

nineteenkilo
02-14-12, 09:00
Nice kit. Thanks for taking the time to share.

chuckman
02-14-12, 09:35
Brother, I have gout, so I feel your pain.

In all seriouness you have a good kit...general enough for most any circumstance, specific enough for your needs.

Medicman, thanks for the input.

Truthfully I am not sure why the forceps are in there:D
I have used the steri strips on myself before.
I will toss the inhalants.

All the meds are for me. I get Gout and if you have never had it I hope you never do. It is like someone heating up a metal rod an driving it into the joint of your big toe. The anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic are what my Doc (private student) has me keep on hand for flare ups. I travel a lot to train and go to the woods. I will not travel without them.

I really appreciate all the good feedback from people who have forgot more than I will ever know about this stuff. It is not my lane but one we can all be forced into. IMHO it is the most important and ignored skill set.- George

mercop
02-14-12, 11:18
Brother, I have gout, so I feel your pain.

In all seriouness you have a good kit...general enough for most any circumstance, specific enough for your needs.

We can pray for each other. It is the most pain I have ever felt.:(

lethal dose
02-14-12, 12:09
4x4s
Tape
Triangular bandages
Trauma dressings
Tongue depressers
ABD pads
Vasogauze
Plasic sandwich bags
Pocket BVM
Sterile water if I've got a backpack.
The more invasive stuff won't be discussed... OR used unless you're immediate family or were in my wedding ;)I look at it this way: if it's bleeding... I'll stop it. If it's not beating... I'll compress it. If you're not breathing... I'll bag ya. If It's broken I MIGHT splint it. I'll do all this in the most elementary level possible as to sustain life and limb until a cert who's on the clock arrives. Not worth a lawsuit, my cert, or jail time. KISS, guys (don't kiss guys, though).

tattoo13
03-15-12, 12:02
One of my favorite things lately for cuts is super glue.
Something easy to keep in a bag and will close up cuts that may get stitches otherwise, and can temporarily close up some wicked wounds.
Might be something to consider keeping in a kit.

cjnuckols50
03-17-12, 13:42
Nice kit. My only advice would be more gauze. If you find yourself in a situation were you're actually packing a substantial wound site with that quick clot... the two packs probably won't be enough. It doesn't need to be the quick clot.. just regular old gauze.. NA rescue's is good.

rosalind
06-13-12, 04:08
Hi, mercop thanks for the sharing this nice kit. Also include Box of adhesive dressing of distant volume for enfold tiny cut. To clean cuts and gauzes keep cotton wool.

TN_Warrior
06-14-12, 19:25
I need something like this. I've been carrying around a basic kit. Good post.

LonghunterCO
06-18-12, 11:47
I have been working on my kit and have come to the conclusion that I need much more training. This is in my BOB and as such is also available when I am at the range/camping.

So in am interested in thoughts/comments on what I have:

Main pouch (AMP-3 blood stopper Tool kit):

(1) SWAT-T tourniquet (seen some comments that there is a new version that is better than the older one, not sure which I have)
(1) 4" Israeli Emergency dressing
(1) 25gr QuickClot 1st responce sponge
(2) Hoo-AHHS Field towel (have not tried this yet, thoughts?)
(1) duct tape
(1) ABD/Trauma Pad
(1) Pair of Nitrile Gloves
(4) Safety pins
(2) Antimicrobial wipes
(1) mini-pencil
(1) Loksak element proof storage bag (for all the smaller items)

Secondary pouch (snivel/Boo-boo in main pouch):

(2) providone/idone wipes
(2) antiseptic wipes
(5) alcohol pads
(2) sting relief wipes
(2) triple antibotic ointment packets
(2) non-adherent serile pads 2"x3"
(5) mini bandages (hey I got kids)
(10) bandaids 1"x3"
(1) knuckel bandage
(1) finger tip bandage
(1) tweezer
(1) resealable pouch to contain everything
(8) Motrin
(8) tylonal extra strength
(4) Anti-Diarrhea (Imodium)
(4) Antihistamine (benadrly)

sixthofjune44
06-26-12, 22:55
Hi all,
Great info and supply list. I'm in the process of putting together an IFAK for my vest along w/ adding to my CFAK (thanks for the term) that goes in my everyday carry bag. The one thing that I learned from an army medic that hasn't been mentioned is that he keeps tampons in his kitbags. They supposedly work very well when you have to pack wounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk