View Full Version : MI AK SS rail - a review

tire iron
02-13-12, 22:13
Here is my review of the MI AK SS rail.

cheers

tire iron

BAC
02-14-12, 02:38
Good review, thank you. I'm also very interested in seeing (meaning, would buy immediately) an upper handguard that will match the lower in covering the gas block. I've grown pretty fond of the AFG and find my thumb tends to wrap over the top of where a 9/3 o'clock rail would be, which on the MI rail would put it pretty close to the barrel.

An AK with an enhanced safety lever, TWS dogleg receiver, MI lower rail, and slick/mostly-slick upper rail that covers the gas block would be about as perfect an AK as I could ask for.

-B

tire iron
02-15-12, 21:42
BAC,

I gotta agree with you on all points. Those mods would bring the AK to its pinnacle while still remaining an AK.

Thanks for the post and for the kind words.

cheers

tire iron

Docwade
02-18-12, 13:54
Nice and clean upgrade.

tire iron
02-26-12, 23:34
Thanks Doc - I agree - nice and clean upgrade.

cheers

tire iron

lee84101
03-08-12, 18:23
would it be possible to combine the ultimak gas tube with the lower Midwest industries handguard?

96 SS
03-08-12, 19:53
They do not play together.

Pax
03-09-12, 00:09
would it be possible to combine the ultimak gas tube with the lower Midwest industries handguard?

Carolina Shooter's Supply's tubular handguard and Ultimaks can play together. Heavier than polymer options. But if you want a rail-ready aluminum foregrip that also offers an extended grip platform, this is the best Ive found. More than covers the gas block, and curves inward like an actual tube, not half a tube like the MI SS. Such half-assed designs arent very friendly towards thumb-over-bore shooting if thats your cup of tea. Pretty cheap as well. They offer versions with TRX-style weight saving holes and slots for about $110 IIRC. Their shipping is lightning fast and their CS is excellent. Highly recommended component and retailer.

BAC
03-09-12, 02:19
The CSS handguard interests me greatly. That's basically what I wanted out of the MI handguard. Just something that lets me and my long arms grip out near the gas block without a surprise burn.

-B

lee84101
03-09-12, 07:41
thanks for the info Pax. I have been looking for a product that was thumb over bore shooting friendly