PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's day boycott

polymorpheous
02-14-12, 05:15
The anti 2nd crowd is boycotting Starbucks today.

I'm gonna buy a stainless steel insulated travel mug. :D

Sam
02-14-12, 06:33
I've been asking my friends to participate in the Starbucks BUYcott. I'm heading there this morning.

The_War_Wagon
02-14-12, 07:39
I'll buy ANYTHING from them but their coffee... ughhh... :bad:

5pins
02-14-12, 08:15
Got myself a triple shot mocha this morning on the way to work. :dance3:

ssracer
02-14-12, 09:37
I stopped by this morning open carrying my 1911

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7189/6875519695_47bd6002ff_b.jpg

polymorpheous
02-14-12, 09:42

Right on!

skyugo
02-14-12, 09:58
I think starbucks in most places are going to have a record day. :D I'll drop in if i have time!

CarlosDJackal
02-14-12, 10:00
I swung by on my way to work and got myself a Frappucino and some sweet pastry that was pretty damn good. I plan on visiting them for lunch as well.

polymorpheous
02-14-12, 10:17
I think starbucks in most places are going to have a record day.

I hope so!

5pins
02-14-12, 10:49
It would be interesting to see if there is any sales increase today.

ssracer
02-14-12, 11:22
The one I went to sure didn't seem to be hurt by the "boycott". Only a few people inside, but the drive thru line was out into the street.

CyberM4
02-14-12, 13:56
Just finished my coffee at local Starbucks a few people inside no one outside nice and quite

Irish
02-14-12, 13:57
I'll be dropping by later this afternoon.

streck
02-14-12, 14:36
Excuse my ignorance and educate me. What is this about?

ssracer
02-14-12, 14:48
Since Starbucks doesn't ban people from carrying firearms in their business, you know, they actually support instead of piss on the 2A, some anti gun groups are in a tizzy over it and called for a boycott today. So pro gun groups have called for everyone to visit their local store

Sam
02-14-12, 17:57
Got a latte this morning on the way to work. Stopped by a different SB on the way home and got an insulated cup. Told the manager why I was doing it and she said I was the third person there with that comment.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/colt62.jpg

Voodoo_Man
02-14-12, 18:09
One of my favorite patches. Was enjoying a cup this morning.

http://www.panteltactical.com/prod_images_blowup/GNCSTICKERPIC.jpg

Cesiumsponge
02-14-12, 18:13
I thought this thread was in support of boycotting Valentine's Day itself. Don't get my hopes up like that again! :mad:

chadbag
02-14-12, 18:21
I thought this thread was in support of boycotting Valentine's Day itself. Don't get my hopes up like that again! :mad:

Valentines was cancelled this year, didn't you hear?

14 - 02 -12 = 0 !

-

streck
02-14-12, 18:32
Since Starbucks doesn't ban people from carrying firearms in their business, you know, they actually support instead of piss on the 2A, some anti gun groups are in a tizzy over it and called for a boycott today. So pro gun groups have called for everyone to visit their local store

Had I known, I would have partaken. Of course, this is a pretty gun friendly place and may have not been noticed.

VLODPG
02-14-12, 19:06
Had my cup of joe there today!

SeriousStudent
02-14-12, 19:17
I picked up coffee and danish for the minions there this morning, and it was packed. I also grabbed some coffee beans and a sandwich for lunch.

I smiled at the barrista and thanked him for their support of the Constitution. He just grinned and nodded.

ThirdWatcher
02-14-12, 20:05
I did my part (as did several of my coworkers). I hope Starbuck's makes a lot of money today. :)

maximus83
02-14-12, 21:29
No offense, I back the 2A but I detest Starbucks (as a local who lives in the area where they started).

Hate their overly bitter coffee, hate their absurd prices, hate their trendy political causes. Last month they used corporate money to back the passage of yet another "gay marriage" fiasco (er, law), that was passed by yet another left-wing state government against the expressed will of the people.

I would rather firebomb them than buy coffee there.

Cesiumsponge
02-14-12, 22:13
They don't technically support the second amendment. They made it clear that they're complying with state and local laws. They're a neutral party and never made a stance either for or against it by action, inaction, or statement.

State and local laws allows open carry in businesses here in Washington unless the business expressly has a posted policy against it. Unless a company posts up a sign saying "guns welcome here!" or "guns banned here!", the business isn't making a stance.

I don't much care for their coffee either, except the stuff brewed on their Clover machines, which is a pure coffee that isn't cut with 99% sugar and milk.

rojocorsa
02-14-12, 23:29
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/398688_1887510365039_1759851430_926900_783908824_n.jpg

There wasn't much going on at the local SB, but I treated myself to what essentially is a vanilla milkshake. I don't like their burnt coffee either.

ThirdWatcher
02-15-12, 15:08
They don't technically support the second amendment. They made it clear that they're complying with state and local laws. They're a neutral party and never made a stance either for or against it by action, inaction, or statement.

True, but I actually prefer that attitude over the politically correct BS attitude that seems to so pervasive lately.

SHIVAN
02-15-12, 15:42
They don't technically support the second amendment. They made it clear that they're complying with state and local laws.

Technically speaking, by supporting state and local laws, and not making a business rule counter to them, they are supporting the Constitution, and with it, the 2nd Amendment.

By making no rule against free speech, your default position is in support of the Constitutional Law and the 1st Amendment.

They can't make a rule that circumvents NYC's law banning handguns, so of course they can't actively support carrying guns in their shops there.

ThirdWatcher
02-18-12, 00:58
Technically speaking, by supporting state and local laws, and not making a business rule counter to them, they are supporting the Constitution, and with it, the 2nd Amendment.

By making no rule against free speech, your default position is in support of the Constitutional Law and the 1st Amendment.

An excellent point.

maximus83
02-18-12, 11:57
If anyone seriously thinks Starbucks is your friend, either in the area of firearms, or in the political/cultural wars, you are sadly mistaken. Investigate them, their record is pretty clear.

dookie1481
02-19-12, 12:25
If anyone seriously thinks Starbucks is your friend, either in the area of firearms, or in the political/cultural wars, you are sadly mistaken. Investigate them, their record is pretty clear.

So where should one shop then? I'm pretty sure you can find reasons to not frequent ANY company if you look hard enough.

Hmac
02-19-12, 14:57

Not bashing Starbucks. I admire their willingness (so far) to stick to their position and refuse to cave to "political correctness", but it's worth noting that all Starbuck's employees are prohibited from carrying any kind of weapon on Starbuck's company property.

From their Employee Handbook (http://assets.starbucks.com/assets/sobc-fy09-eng.pdf):

Partners may not have or possess any weapon while in a Starbucks store, plant or on other Starbucks property.

This is certainly common corporate policy these days, but maybe we can say that their "support" of the 2nd Amendment has limits, and their support of state and local laws includes prohibiting their employees from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

SHIVAN
02-19-12, 16:29
Not bashing Starbucks. I admire their willingness (so far) to stick to their position and refuse to cave to "political correctness", but it's worth noting that all Starbuck's employees are prohibited from carrying any kind of weapon on Starbuck's company property.

My bosses own guns, hunt, and have expressed their willingness to protect themselves. Our corporate policy is also no guns, no knives, mace, etc.

Concealed means concealed.

I'm not going to sweat it. Of course a company like Starbucks probably gives money to every liberal cause, democratic candidate etc. On this issue, they are correct in their actions.

Reward that correct choice, and maybe more "correct" choices follow. If not, move away from them.

ForTehNguyen
02-19-12, 18:15

this is no different than 99% of the other major companies out there

Hmac
02-19-12, 18:37
this is no different than 99% of the other major companies out there

As I said.

Nightvisionary
02-19-12, 18:43
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7189/6875519695_47bd6002ff_b.jpg

That's crazy.:eek:

maximus83
02-20-12, 10:07
So where should one shop then? I'm pretty sure you can find reasons to not frequent ANY company if you look hard enough.

I'm not a big believer in boycotts. Occasionally they can be effective but often not, and sometime they can even have OPPOSITE of the intended affect (as when Christians boycotted the noxious "Last Temptation of Christ" movie, and unintentionally raised attention and caused more people to go see it).

That said, while I don't believe in boycotts, I do have stores that I personally avoid simply because I don't like their products, or their corporate policies, or both. Starbucks is one of them. Another is Walmart. My point here is simply that people should be fully aware of what Starbucks stands for; I don't really think they are our "friends" on 2A or other cultural issues. As for where you buy your coffee, none of my business. :-)

dookie1481
02-20-12, 17:47
I'm not a big believer in boycotts. Occasionally they can be effective but often not, and sometime they can even have OPPOSITE of the intended affect (as when Christians boycotted the noxious "Last Temptation of Christ" movie, and unintentionally raised attention and caused more people to go see it).

That said, while I don't believe in boycotts, I do have stores that I personally avoid simply because I don't like their products, or their corporate policies, or both. Starbucks is one of them. Another is Walmart. My point here is simply that people should be fully aware of what Starbucks stands for; I don't really think they are our "friends" on 2A or other cultural issues. As for where you buy your coffee, none of my business. :-)

Fair enough, and well-said.