PDA

View Full Version : serpa holsters

ridgerunner70
02-14-12, 10:36
I own a serpa holster and have notice on some other websites that they are not safe. Is this true and why? My family and I shoot as a group taking turns but, i don't want this holster around my family and friends if this is true.Thanks

sammage
02-14-12, 11:00
Herein lie some clues.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98663
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96534
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82779
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94159

Grizzly16
02-14-12, 11:02
Search around for details. Here is a summary:

Bad release button = pulling the trigger on draw
Easy to jam
Easy to rip off

TacCommE21
02-14-12, 11:19
There has been quite a bit of, FLOABT, "press" around the SERPAs lately. They have been banned from use by a number of agencies, recently FLETC. They are also a no-go in many of the classes taught by members on M4C.

While it is a poor design, most of the issues stem from the fact that people can't seem to keep their finger out of the trigger guard when drawing and end up ND'ing into their lower extremities.

The fact that it locks onto the trigger guard is a major design flaw.

They are very flimsy as well.

Best advice: Buy a high quality holster for the range (or EDC for that matter). Raven and PSS make great Kydex options. If you NEED retention, a great choice is Safariland. Do some searches not only on holsters, but on why SERPAs are not the best choice and who has banned them and why.

Good luck.

ridgerunner70
02-14-12, 11:20
thanks; moderator can delete posts

ridgerunner70
02-14-12, 11:26
I feel really bad having this holster around my family;going in the trash.

B Cart
02-14-12, 13:06
Don't feel too bad. You live and learn. I think most people who shoot pistols have probably owned a SERPA at one point or another before they realized the design flaws.

As for a replacement, definitely look at the Safariland ALS holsters. They are awesome, and for the same price as a SERPA, you can't beat them. I switched all my SERPAs over to Safariland ALS holsters and couldn't be happier.

Endur
02-14-12, 13:31
Don't feel too bad. You live and learn. I think most people who shoot pistols have probably owned a SERPA at one point or another before they realized the design flaws.

As for a replacement, definitely look at the Safariland ALS holsters. They are awesome, and for the same price as a SERPA, you can't beat them. I switched all my SERPAs over to Safariland ALS holsters and couldn't be happier.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but the als are like 100 plus and you can get a serpa for a little over 30..:blink:

Grizzly16
02-14-12, 13:56
Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but the als are like 100 plus and you can get a serpa for a little over 30..:blink:
You have to account for the dr bills to repair your leg. Then you are looking at $2000+ for the serpa depending on your insurance.

On the serious side, amazon has the als holsters for around $40.

bdcheung
02-14-12, 13:58
Not sure where you're finding the ALS for $100+, but the 6378 I picked up for my M&P was right around $50.

Model 6378-219-411

Endur
02-14-12, 14:00
You have to account for the dr bills to repair your leg. Then you are looking at $2000+ for the serpa depending on your insurance.

On the serious side, amazon has the als holsters for around $40.

By no means am I defending serpa holsters I was just stating they are not the same price.

Smash
02-14-12, 14:38
Botach ALS $45.00 no medical bills required.

Grizzly16
02-14-12, 15:11
By no means am I defending serpa holsters I was just stating they are not the same price.

Yep, I was mainly pointing out they aren't $100 either. The cheapest ALS I found with a quick search was $41 shipped the cheapest serpa was $23.95 + shipping (spend another $1.05 for free shipping). $16 bucks is a lot different than the $70 you were finding.

B Cart
02-14-12, 16:13
I got both of my ALS holsters for $42 shipped from Amazon. You can find the SERPA "sport" holsters for like $25, but those are even crappier than their carbon fiber ones that are $45. The serpas that I had were $45, and the ALS holsters that I bought were $42, so I would say they are roughly the same price.

I don't know where you were seeing the ALS holsters for $100 bucks, but that is a rip off.

chadbag
02-14-12, 16:16

I've paid anywhere from 30 to around 60 for my ALS, depending on color and configuration.

arc
02-14-12, 18:04

You might be seeing the SLS system which does tend to run around 100-200 bucks. I picked up an ALS 6377 for my Sig for $38.

Hope this helps.
-James

WillBrink
02-14-12, 18:11
There has been quite a bit of, FLOABT, "press" around the SERPAs lately. They have been banned from use by a number of agencies, recently FLETC. They are also a no-go in many of the classes taught by members on M4C.

And yet, f-ers on other places I visit still defend it/use it no matter what I tell them/post on it. :rolleyes:

G30Mike
02-14-12, 18:23
I've never had a problem with my SERPA, but I can see the design flaw. As soon as funds allow ill be switching to the ALS as well, so for another week or two I'm stuck with my SERPA. Guess its still better than Mexican carry.....

Smash
02-14-12, 18:33
At least you dont use your trigger finger to remove a weapon from mexican carry. :D

CoryCop25
02-14-12, 18:40
Botach ALS $45.00 no medical bills required.

That was funny!

I still have problems convincing people that these are dangerous. I guess I will just wait until I can dish out the "I told you sos".

DacoRoman
02-14-12, 19:28
Don't feel bad, at least you have enough clarity to have researched the issue and not become emotionally attached to bad gear just cause you bought it before knowing better. I too have a Serpa that I bought at one point, and even used it for a class before the issues with it started to crystalize in the expert shooting community; It has been residing in the box of bunk holsters that every shooter seems to have since around 2007 or 8 :D. FIDO!

Endur
02-14-12, 20:44
You might be seeing the SLS system which does tend to run around 100-200 bucks. I picked up an ALS 6377 for my Sig for $38.

Hope this helps.
-James

It might be because I was looking at the tactical ones.

http://www.copquest.com/23-5280.htm

JSantoro
02-15-12, 12:16
Yeah, there's lots of ALS holsters on the "Concealment" Will-Fit list.

Mistakenly so, many would reasonably argue; most of those things are about as concealable as a cinder-block....

I use 6378s, never paid more than $60 for them, retail. Granted, I had to buy the UBL w/QLS plate and 1ea QLS fork/holster to mount them; still worth it, in comparison to either a hole in the leg OR a repeat of my pistol = Excalibur (sword-in-the-stone) incident of 2006.

Even my light-bearing ALS holster was about $85.