PDA

View Full Version : Tardratieff wave of 2012

QuietShootr
02-14-12, 11:10
Here it is, not even finished with the first quarter, and we're already experiencing our first uptick in the Tardratieff wave.

The Tardratieff wave is described as sinusoidal-like cycles in the modern gun forum environment. At the bottom of the cycle, a forum is populated by knowledgeable, experienced veterans and there is a healthy influx of newbies who read stickies and follow the rules. At the top of the cycle, retards flood in from sites like Glocktalk, Arfcom, indianagundouches.com, militaryphotos.net, along with their cousins the airsofters and video gamers, and they threaten to overwhelm the existing site culture with their douchebag questions, attitudes, and general want to have their retarded choices confirmed instead of actually learning something.

It appears we are once again on the uphill slope of the M4Carbine.net Tardratieff wave. Be aware, and plan accordingly.

<EOM>

montanadave
02-14-12, 13:48
As the gun-grabber hysteria ramps up in anticipation of the fall election, I'm guessing things will get a lot worse before they get better as the mad dash to buy up every "tactical" this and "black rifle" that hits high gear.

Irish
02-14-12, 14:53
Very similar to the Kondratiev Wave. :)

ralph
02-14-12, 16:07
As the gun-grabber hysteria ramps up in anticipation of the fall election, I'm guessing things will get a lot worse before they get better as the mad dash to buy up every "tactical" this and "black rifle" that hits high gear.

I'm going to sit back and watch..I learned from the last go round,This time, I'm stocked up, mags, ammo, etc...

Eurodriver
02-14-12, 17:00
I'm gonna be pissed if some gun control laws are enacted.

Not only because...well...thats shitty and that just means the US is headed down the tubes.

...but also for more selfish reasons. I just sold every non-NFA weapon I own to finance my emigration to Thailand.

...every...single...one...

GIJew766
02-14-12, 17:07
...but also for more selfish reasons. I just sold every non-NFA weapon I own to finance my emigration to Thailand.

Going for the guns or for the hookers? :D

Honor First

H

Eurodriver
02-14-12, 17:24
Going for the guns or for the hookers? :D

Honor First

H

There are guns in Thailand? :ph34r:

QuietShootr
02-14-12, 18:16
There are guns in Thailand? :ph34r:

hahaha... are you kidding?

There are some kick-ass gun clubs.

GIJew766
02-14-12, 19:41

There and the Philippines. Easier to buy stuff that's considered "regulated" here, too. You want a ****ing UMP 45? Done. A real Swiss 55x series gun? Hell mother****ing yes!

Honor First

H

Scoby
02-14-12, 21:20
I too have noticed the influent of "new folks". Mods no doubt have also.

Some of the dribble is hard to wade through.

ralph
02-15-12, 08:29
I too have noticed the influent of "new folks". Mods no doubt have also.

Some of the dribble is hard to wade through.

Well, thankfully we have some good Mods here that nip most of it in the bud, before it gets out of hand.. Mods..You have a thankless job, and you do it well,If it wasn't for you guys, this site would turn into another Barfcom. Thank you for preventing that from happening.

C4IGrant
02-15-12, 08:37
Here it is, not even finished with the first quarter, and we're already experiencing our first uptick in the Tardratieff wave.

The Tardratieff wave is described as sinusoidal-like cycles in the modern gun forum environment. At the bottom of the cycle, a forum is populated by knowledgeable, experienced veterans and there is a healthy influx of newbies who read stickies and follow the rules. At the top of the cycle, retards flood in from sites like Glocktalk, Arfcom, indianagundouches.com, militaryphotos.net, along with their cousins the airsofters and video gamers, and they threaten to overwhelm the existing site culture with their douchebag questions, attitudes, and general want to have their retarded choices confirmed instead of actually learning something.

It appears we are once again on the uphill slope of the M4Carbine.net Tardratieff wave. Be aware, and plan accordingly.

<EOM>

LOL, yes all forums go through it, but this one has mods that are active and have little tolerance for rude/ignorant people.

Just use the report button and POOF, one will appear!

C4

polymorpheous
02-15-12, 09:35
I agree.
Trying to point these guys in the right direction is met with hostility.
I am also noticing a lot of new members validating the bad decisions of others.

Perhaps LF type rules are in order?

QuietShootr
02-15-12, 09:42
I agree.

I think this place has been a nice middle ground between barfcom and LF/Socnet style moderating. I'd like to see it stay there.

ra2bach
02-17-12, 13:30
I agree.

I have nothing against helping someone but I'd like to see new members spend a little time in a New Members forum before they're allowed to flood other forums with "lube" and "which is better" type threads.

isn't there some type of post count requirement here in General Discussion?...

sammage
02-17-12, 15:13
Could be worse....a lot, lot worse.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-rifles-shotgun-discussion/136230-s-w-m-p-15-sport-build-pics-links.html

Eurodriver
02-17-12, 15:33

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-rifles-shotgun-discussion/136230-s-w-m-p-15-sport-build-pics-links.html

:sarcastic:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s484/SilverLamp/20120216_1844491.jpg

My favorite is not that he has turned his rifle into an abomination, but that he refuses to accept advice when given.

supersix4
02-17-12, 16:51
:sarcastic:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s484/SilverLamp/20120216_1844491.jpg

WTF??? :eek:

GIJew766
02-17-12, 19:19
hai gyz!11!!! luk at mah sooper kewlz new taktikal rifle!!1!!one!1!!

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0912/overkill-guns-demotivational-poster-1262289326.jpg

polymorpheous
02-17-12, 19:29
LOL!
What's that fuzzy thing on the stock?
Lucky rabbit's foot?

ralph
02-17-12, 21:48

Just out of curiousity, I HAD to follow that link... I never knew those bumpfire stocks existed...For over $300? WTF! He could of bought a nice rail, and maybe a BUIS, and that RDS..what's he got about a 6" offset? That pic of his rifle, that should be used in a carbine class, for what NOT to do...

RogerinTPA
02-17-12, 23:20
Just out of curiousity, I HAD to follow that link... I never knew those bumpfire stocks existed...For over $300? WTF! He could of bought a nice rail, and maybe a BUIS, and that RDS..what's he got about a 6" offset? That pic of his rifle, that should be used in a carbine class, for what NOT to do...

Before I left for this rotation, there were a couple of douches with bumpfire stocks at my local range, talking about them like they were the Second Coming of the greatest gadget invention for the AR:confused: . I shook my head as I packed my gear and move 8 stalls down.

RancidSumo
02-20-12, 01:34
Uh oh, in the linked thread someone recommended that the OP come to M4C. Here comes another one.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-20-12, 03:08
I agree there have a been a lot more new members lately, but they bring the same questions that I brought when I was new here, along with most of the rest of our membership. "Ive been lurking, first post, did a search, read all the stickies, what do you think of my psa/dpms abortion, is it good?" Those types of threads are easy to handle on their own, but now weve got new members validating other new members and then it creates some sort of idiot standoff.

Hell, we've got one member who joined a week or 2 ago that has nearly 200 posts already, mostly nonsense.

M4C mods doa good job of cleaning up the mess, but it just feels like an idiot assault is in full blitzkrieg right now, moreso than last year.

QuietShootr
02-20-12, 07:56
^ ****ing exactly.

There were three idiots at the range yesterday with one of those bumpfire stocks, too. One of them had a giggle that sounded like Roscoe P. Coltrane when they would launch an entire magazine of Wolf all over the hillside, (from the hip, of course).

We finally pulled out the M14 and rocked a few magazines into the steels. Their faces drooped comically and they packed their shit and left.

JSantoro
02-20-12, 13:25
but it just feels like an idiot assault is in full blitzkrieg right now, moreso than last year.

Report post = Join the Empire!

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9879/helpvader.jpg

GIJew766
02-20-12, 13:37
Report post = Join the Empire!

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9879/helpvader.jpg

I'm half considering putting that image on FB...just because I can...

But seriously, how many times can we seriously rehash the G19 vs 1911 conversation?

Honor First

H

TriumphRat675
02-20-12, 14:43
But seriously, how many times can we seriously rehash the G19 vs 1911 conversation?

Exactly as many times as someone with an internet connection buys a Kimber.

GIJew766
02-20-12, 14:56
Exactly as many times as someone with an internet connection buys a Kimber.

The same ones who complain their Crapmaster can't make it through a magazine without a failure of one sort or another? The ones who cry when they made a purchase without researching first?

Careful, me, don't want to raise your blood pressure too much, do you? No. No, you're right me. I don't.

Honor First

H

TriumphRat675
02-20-12, 16:02
Heh heh. But you know, I remember not that many years ago when I thought a 3" 1911 was the carry gun par excellence and sagely opined to other shoppers that a 1st gen S&W M&P15 - chisel staking and all - was just as good as the Colt they were looking at...didn't understand why they looked at me like I was a dumbass...

It took a little tough love from long-term forum residents for me to start thinking with my brain and I'm a better shooter because of it. I hope that tradition continues, no matter the number of former me's that might swamp the forum at any given time.

Iraq Ninja
02-20-12, 16:20

And if go to Cambodia, you can pay to shoot a cow with a RPG, or mow down a field full of chickens with a PKM. :)

sandman99and9
02-20-12, 18:07
I joined in Jan of 2009 and only have 543 posts !! I guess I was smart enough to read the rules and learn about the site :)

I can say that I honestly can't remember the last time I visited TOS as it is so full of BS and ****tards that want to dogpile on anything that is not the "flavor of the month"

I have had several times where I was going to post or reply to a post and after reading it out loud to myself I realized I was wrong or sounded like a dumbass !!

I love this site and have learned a ton of usefull info. I have kept people away from TOS and sent them here.

The Mods have a tough job to do keeping up with everything. I think they do a good job of it.

I read a quote but don't remember who it was, goes something like

"Better to remain silent and let people wonder about your intelligence than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

S.M.

SW-Shooter
02-20-12, 19:41
Wouldn't a join date and post count rule out those? Not that either of mine are old or high.

SteadyUp
02-20-12, 20:18
I'm still a relatively new member (here about a year), but I did take the time to actually READ the forum rules, and look at the stickies, etc. etc. etc. A shitload of posts by newer members could be avoided by a simple search (by using the orange "search" button, and not the one adjacent to the "New Posts" button), or taking the time to actually LOOK at the individual subforums, and the stickied threads therein. As the cliche goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

It also appears that a somewhat large portion of new members are accustomed to the atmosphere at some of the other gun forums (TOS, THR, TFL, GlockTalk, etc.), where it is acceptable engage in assholery for no reason, and to beat the same topic to death, such as perennial favorites:

"Which is better, Brand A or Brand B" (and the comparison is always apples to oranges)

"Which is better, Gun Type A or Gun Type B" (such as AR vs. AK, or Glock vs. 1911)

"Looking to buy X-type of firearm, please recommend blah blah blah"
(and of course, they don't provide any details as to what their intended use is)

"Look at my new Brand X gun, isn't it cool!"

I could maybe tolerate that shit, but throw in a bunch of people providing moronic, one sentence, opinion-based replies, that they present as *fact*, and that puts me over the edge.

When I see a post/thread here that I think is venturing into tard-land, I report the post. If I notice the thread is closed or disappears, then the mods thought it needed dealt with. If nothing happens, no big deal either. Running a forum is a thankless task, and I give the mods and staff credit for being as tolerant as they are.