PDA

View Full Version : New Walther PPS owner review

vaglocker
02-14-12, 12:26
I picked up a Walther PPS last week and had my first chance to take it to the range today. The pistol was cleaned and lubed before firing. I put 350 rounds of Blazer 115 gr FMJ (brass cased) and about 40 rounds Remington Golden Sabre 124 gr +p. My overall impression is that is is a soft shooting pistol for how thin it is and more accurate than I am. I did however have 3 FTF with the 8 round magazine. In each case I loaded the pistol and topped off the magazine so I had 9 rounds in the gun. The FTF was always on the second round. These all happened within the first 150 rounds and I could not get it to happen after that. Has anyone else had problems with the 8 rounders? I may just have to stick with the seven rounders until I can prove to myself that it was just a break in issue.

At any rate, I'm pretty impressed with this pistol so far. I usually carry a Glock 19, but wanted a pistol for deep concealment in a smart carry. The Glock 26 was just a bit too thick for that role.

Arik
02-14-12, 12:37
I used to own one. In about 5k rounds not one hiccup with any ammo or mags. My problem was I kept hitting the mag eject lever just enough for the mag to drop a little and not feed the next round. This was a problem due to the size of the grip and my hands. I traded it for a Kahr CW9. Idont have this problem with the wider grips of the H&K P30 or the PPQ.

vaglocker
02-14-12, 12:46
I traded it for a Kahr CW9. Idont have this problem with the wider grips of the H&K P30 or the PPQ.

I actually traded a Kahr CM9 for the Walther. I just couldn't get used to the trigger as compared to my Glocks. The trigger on the Kahr was super smooth but just too long. Also, the lack a pronounced reset on the Kahr bothered me.

Arik
02-14-12, 13:02
I was looking for something smaller and thin for carry at work and I really liked the PPS just wish I didn't have the mag release problem. If itI wasnt for thatthe i wouldhave have kept it. The Kahr trigger is a bit long but it has been 100% reliable for me, fed all ammo with no problems on the +p and after a few hundred rounds I got used to the trigger.

tb-av
02-14-12, 14:34
vaglocker, I bought some Aguilar<sp> 9mm at a gun show for $10 a box.

I had a real problem with that ammo not feeding properly but I could never figure what the deal was. Didn't matter which mag. I personally don't like the 8 round mag.

I also -do- like the small Limbsaver sleeve. I took it off for a while but have decided I certainly want it back on. that makes shooting even softer. quite a bit softer actually.

I have shot everthing Georgia Arms makes I think. 115, 124 and 147. Not a hickup. dummy rounds function properly in combination with all those as well. I reloaded 147 lead truncated cone and it is a very soft load but not as accurate so I need to change that but it functioned just fine. Lots of WWB from WalMart works great, never an issue.

Froglube for lube and clean.

Only thing I really want now is one of those Vanguard2 deals from Raven. I think I'm in for a long wait on that one though.

If you are ever at Blackcreek, I'm the guy with Stainless 1911 and PPS on the bench.

Oh, and I meant to ask.... I didn't do any scientific test but I thought 124g shot more accurate than 115g. Or 147 / 124 more accurate than 115. Do you notice this at all?

vaglocker
02-14-12, 14:42
Only thing I really want now is one of those Vanguard2 deals from Raven. I think I'm in for a long wait on that one though.

If you are ever at Blackcreek, I'm the guy with Stainless 1911 and PPS on the bench.

That is exactly where I was today. I'll keep my eyes out for you, but with 3 small kids its tough to make it out there regularly. As far as holsters go I got an email from Dale Fricke (http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/)saying that he should have some AIWB holsters shortly for the PPS and the PPQ.

caddishatch
02-14-12, 20:44
Thanks for the report. I shot my dads for the first time last weekend. Never experienced the 8 round mag issue. It would be interesting if you tried another 8 round mag. I love this gun and I am looking forward to purchasing one in the future.

BTW- The PPQ isnt a bad one either:)

GTM
02-15-12, 09:18
Slightly off-topic, but I have been trying to find out the height of a PPS with the 8 round magazine inserted. I can't find the specs anywhere. I'm sure the PPS with the 8-round magazine is taller than a G26, but how much taller? I've purchased a Kahr CM9 for times when the G26 is too thick, but I prefer the Glock trigger, and my understanding is that a PPS has a more Glock-like trigger.

Beat Trash
02-15-12, 09:19
I own one also. No issues with the 8 rd magazine.

The thing is much more accurate than I would have expected it to be. It's easy to start to compare it to your full size duty guns due to the way it shoots.

I recently started carrying it as my BUG while at work, using a vest holster.

IF the PPQ is as accurate and easy to shoot, I'm real interested in trying one out.

Beat Trash
02-15-12, 09:26
Slightly off-topic, but I have been trying to find out the height of a PPS with the 8 round magazine inserted. I can't find the specs anywhere. I'm sure the PPS with the 8-round magazine is taller than a G26, but how much taller? I've purchased a Kahr CM9 for times when the G26 is too thick, but I prefer the Glock trigger, and my understanding is that a PPS has a more Glock-like trigger.

My 9mm PPS measured 5.25" with the 8 rd magazine installed.

My Glock 26 is actually shorter than my PPS with it's 6 rd magazine installed.

gtmtnbiker98
02-15-12, 09:40
I own one also. No issues with the 8 rd magazine.

The thing is much more accurate than I would have expected it to be. It's easy to start to compare it to your full size duty guns due to the way it shoots.

I recently started carrying it as my BUG while at work, using a vest holster.

IF the PPQ is as accurate and easy to shoot, I'm real interested in trying one out.Do yourself a favor, try the PPQ. Walther did a great job with this one.

tb-av
02-15-12, 10:06
if you set the slide as horizontal the mag bottom will of course be on an angle.

Approx measurements
7 round
Front ---- Rear
4 11/16 ---- 4 7/16

8 Round
5 1/16 --- 4 12/16

Those are not exact but close. The 8 round also has a little front lip that protrudes forward about 1/4" or so that the 7 round does not have.

So you end up with maybe 3/8" longer and 3/8" front to back depth extra.

C4IGrant
02-15-12, 10:09
I picked up a Walther PPS last week and had my first chance to take it to the range today. The pistol was cleaned and lubed before firing. I put 350 rounds of Blazer 115 gr FMJ (brass cased) and about 40 rounds Remington Golden Sabre 124 gr +p. My overall impression is that is is a soft shooting pistol for how thin it is and more accurate than I am. I did however have 3 FTF with the 8 round magazine. In each case I loaded the pistol and topped off the magazine so I had 9 rounds in the gun. The FTF was always on the second round. These all happened within the first 150 rounds and I could not get it to happen after that. Has anyone else had problems with the 8 rounders? I may just have to stick with the seven rounders until I can prove to myself that it was just a break in issue.

At any rate, I'm pretty impressed with this pistol so far. I usually carry a Glock 19, but wanted a pistol for deep concealment in a smart carry. The Glock 26 was just a bit too thick for that role.

You cannot put 9rds in the gun (won't run). You can however use the 7rd mag and put 8 rounds in the gun. This will work just fine.

C4

rudy99
02-15-12, 10:28
My 9mm PPS measured 5.25" with the 8 rd magazine installed.

My Glock 26 is actually shorter than my PPS with it's 6 rd magazine installed.

I have a PPS and a G19. What I didn't 'realize before I purchased the PPS is that the back (i.e. palm side) of the grip is just as long as a G19. The bottom of the grip is angled upward to where you have full palm contact, but on the front side, your pinky would be under the 6-round magazine.

I've got about 300-400 rounds through my PPS thus far and I've had about 3 FTEs that probably happened within the first 150 rounds. Haven't had a problem since then and I don't recall which magazine was in the gun when I had the FTEs.

The slim profile of the gun makes it much more carry friendly to me and I've been carrying a lot more since I got it. Still need to put more rounds down range before I get fully comfortable with its reliability, but its accuracy is better than mine, I don't mind the mag release and it carries well. Range time with the PPS isn't the most fun, as it feels like I'm constantly stuffing mags. At least it is comfortable to shoot.

vaglocker
02-15-12, 12:13
You cannot put 9rds in the gun (won't run). You can however use the 7rd mag and put 8 rounds in the gun. This will work just fine.
C4

So sounds like this is a known issue then with the 8 rounders. Don't really see the point in carrying one as a spare if they would be dicey in an admin reload situation.

Also, comparing the PPS with the 8 round mag to my G19 the grips were pretty much the same length.

cslone
02-15-12, 12:53
Mine runs perfectly with one in the chamber and the 8 round mag. :confused:

tdoom15
02-15-12, 14:28
Mine runs perfectly with one in the chamber and the 8 round mag. :confused:

Mine too.

TomF
02-15-12, 16:42

At the moment, it is looking like the PPS will be part of the "Second Wave" of VanGuard 2's available. We intend to support a number of popular pistols with this product and roll them out in waves. The PPS should be in Wave 2, which we are getting closer to every day.

Beat Trash
02-15-12, 16:57
I'm glad to hear this. I was wondering if the VanGard would be offered for the PPS due to the mag release.

Beat Trash
02-15-12, 16:58
Do yourself a favor, try the PPQ. Walther did a great job with this one.
Definitely on my "to do" list.

MODiesel
02-15-12, 22:16
Great gun -- my wife loves ours. We picked it up on a lark at the end of August and have put about 400rds through it. The factory grease was never wiped off (some is still on the underside of the slide), and I've run a bore snake through it once. Other than that, nothing....and it has fired everything without issue through both 6 & 7rd mags, over a variety of adult shooters. My wife prefers revolvers but likes the PPS over our 3 Glock 9's. I know we need to put more rounds through it (busy winter) before officially calling it GTG, but I was impressed that it's had zero issues literally straight out of the box.

And it's dang accurate! ;)

zeb3
02-19-12, 21:59
I picked up a pps in December. I have since put 621 rnds down range with 5 fte. All 5 malfunctions happend in the first 250 rnds and were all with the factory 7rnd mag. The first 300 rnds were within 2 weeks of owning and before I got the 6 and 8 rounder. The next 321 rnds were with all 3 mags and a limbsaver grip. Not one problem since and was cleaned after every trip.

luvmy40
02-20-12, 10:45
I haven't had any issues with 8+1 in my PPS. Granted I have only put 800+/- rounds through it , but I always start each range session with the 8 round mag and one in the pipe, reload with 7 rounder and repeat.

The PPS has taken over duty as my EDC and all of my other pistols are jealous!

I recently picked up a Bersa BP9CC for my boy and aside from the magazine safety, it is giving the PPS a run for the money. If you don't like the Walther's mag release check out the Bersa. It has the more traditional ambidextrous mag release buttons.

Lee D
02-20-12, 11:35
congrats on the new pistol. i bought mine last Feb and have put more rounds thru it in the past year than any other pistol/revolver i own. for whatever reason i couldnt seem to find any of the 8 rd mags at the time so i stocked up on 6 and 7rd mags and its ran 100% from day one. very accurate, soft shooting, even with hotter 9mm loads, and easy to conceal. what more can a guy ask for?

vaglocker
02-28-12, 09:39
Dale Fricke now has the "Archangel" AIWB available for the PPS and the PPQ. I just ordered one.

atl3axj
02-29-12, 03:17
I sold mine Saturday. Ordered replacement Sunday. Will be here Thursday.
OP,
get Limbsaver grip for it.