PDA

View Full Version : Colt M4 11.5" Side Sling Swivel

Jack_Bauer
02-14-12, 12:37
Has any one else encountered a problem when trying to install a side sling swivel on a newer made Colt M4 11.5" barrel?

johnpuga1982
02-14-12, 12:46
Has any one else encountered a problem when trying to install a side sling swivel on a newer made Colt M4 11.5" barrel?

What's your problem? Are you try to install the swivel that goes in between the front gas block on the barrel?

Jack_Bauer
02-14-12, 12:51
What's your problem? Are you try to install the swivel that goes in between the front gas block on the barrel?

Yes, the newer 11.5" barrels seem to be a bit smaller than the older 11.5" barrels as the swivel clamp is very loose and that the old style clamp.

johnpuga1982
02-14-12, 13:08
Yes, the newer 11.5" barrels seem to be a bit smaller than the older 11.5" barrels as the swivel clamp is very loose and that the old style clamp.

I recently added one to a Daniel Defense M4 profile barrel. First, I noticed that the pins are a little big and are a pain in the @$$ to hammer in. I had to squeeze them with some pliers and hammer them in with the help of a front sight bench block.

I also noticed that the swivel clamp was very loose, but to my understanding it is like that on an actual Colt.

I tried wrapping the barrel once around with electrical tape, but it was too much. It took a little trial and error to get the right amount, but I believe it was at least half the circumference of the barrel or a little less.

Dano5326
02-18-12, 12:51
It's been over 10 yrs since i've seen that type of attachment... but there was a reversable piece for the .750 & .625 barrels (@ gas block)

Kokopelli
02-18-12, 13:02
I had zero luck installing one, due to the tight pins. I ended up sending it back to Brownells for credit and buying a GG&G Sling Thing. I like it as I can use different QD swivels.. Ron

Bob Reed
02-18-12, 14:31
Hello Jack,

You need to contact Specialized Armament, because if it can be done, Specialized Armament can do it - and their high quality work is second to none! http://www.specializedarmament.com/

Here's the Side Mount Sling Bushing that Specialized Armament makes for the AR6520 http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2416-AR6520-Side-Mount-Sling-Bushing

Quiet-Matt
02-18-12, 14:49
I recently added one to a Daniel Defense M4 profile barrel.

I tried wrapping the barrel once around with electrical tape, but it was too much. It took a little trial and error to get the right amount, but I believe it was at least half the circumference of the barrel or a little less.

Vinyl electrical tape? How'd that work out when the barrel heated up?

usmcvet
02-18-12, 15:37
Vinyl electrical tape? How'd that work out when the barrel heated up?

It would smell and burn like hell!

I used a non colt side sling mount and was able to use a pair of tin snips to cut a soda can and make a shim. This was the unit with two bbl taper options.

Jack_Bauer
02-20-12, 09:17
I think I've found a solution, heat resistant fiberglass cloth.