PDA

View Full Version : Glock Slide Ease Takedown Question

ejewels
02-14-12, 13:36
Hey Guys,

I always wondered something. When taking down a glock (my 19 and 17) It seems that the slide doesn't smoothly come right off. It seems to snag a bit and comes off with a little force. Is this normal with glocks? Just wanna make sure its not my guns, as they shoot fine otherwise...

Meth0d
02-14-12, 13:57
How much force? When was the last time it was cleaned/lubed?

ejewels
02-14-12, 14:14
Not a lot of force at all, but it definitely doesn't slide right off. I've seen this on other glocks before so I was wondering if it was getting snagged on a part. They aren't well lubed at the moment... just normal with CLP from about 2 weeks ago.

RD62
02-14-12, 15:02
Mine does the same, especially with the NY trigger spring.

SW-Shooter
02-14-12, 19:33
Hold the trigger down until the slide is off.

Meth0d
02-15-12, 13:58
Hold the trigger down until the slide is off.

Indeed. The hammer needs to be released.

SW-Shooter
02-15-12, 18:30
It's striker fired, there is no hammer. But I honestly pulled that out of my rectum because I don't have any disassembly problems with mine. Just trying to help him out, even if I'm not sure it does any good.

Meth0d
02-15-12, 18:36
It's striker fired, there is no hammer. But I honestly pulled that out of my rectum because I don't have any disassembly problems with mine. Just trying to help him out, even if I'm not sure it does any good.

Yeah, I mis-worded that. The trigger is supposed to be pulled beforehand nonetheless.

RD62
02-15-12, 19:11
I don't think he's disassembling it wrong but sometimes there is some drag.

Mine are setup with a factory - connector and NY1 trigger spring. With this combo after a thorough chamber check and pulling the trigger in a safe direction, you would again have to pull the trigger to reduce the upward pressure generated by the NY1 spring as you pull the slide off the frame.

EzGoingKev
02-15-12, 19:46
Pistols with the NY trigger springs require more effort to remove the slide than running the traditional coil spring.

xcibes
02-15-12, 23:01
The recoil spring sometimes slips down a bit and it catches the frame, making removal of the slide less smooth but not difficult or impossible, just not silky smooth. Nothing wrong with the gun. This is more pronounced on my G21SF than on my 17 or 19 but it happens to all of them.

Irfan
02-16-12, 14:55
Thanks for posting your question! I have the same problem with my 3rd gen G17 which I bought in 2010. It's serial number is PCNxxx. I didn't have this problem with my previous Glocks (3rd gen G19 and 1st gen G17).