PDA

View Full Version : POLL: What Type of "Catastrophic" Event or Condition is Most Likely to Occur?

smm345
02-14-12, 14:38
What do you believe might be the Most Likely cause of “SHTF” conditions that could affect a large portion of, or the entire U.S.? [Please feel free to provide your definition of “SHTF” and the: Who, What, Where, When, Duration, Etc.].

(Alphabetically): *Obviously they would eventually/immediately cascade into each other.

Economic: Increasing or Sudden conditions that are much worse than they are today.

Natural Disaster: Much more Severe or Never experienced in U.S. history.

Pandemic: Regional/National/Global in Scope.

Technological: Power Grid Failure/Oil Shortage-Disruption/Nuclear Power Accident/Etc.

Terrorist/Nation-State Attack: Nuclear/Chemical/Cyber/EMP/Etc.

OTHER: ________________________________.

docsherm
02-14-12, 16:44
I ad to go with OTHER.

I think that the most realistic will be a combo. Such as; some type of pandemic/ health issue will lead to an economic fall and so forth. Or it could be an economic slump that causes a "Technological" (your definition).

See what I am saying?

Battle*Hound
02-14-12, 17:06
I really think that economic issues will set it off. I suppose it could just as easily be a major attack of some sort. Either way, I do believe I will see it in my life. Everything, everywhere is just too f'ckd up.:(

mallowpufft
02-14-12, 17:14
If the economy stays in the shitter and ol' Barry wins a second term I believe things are going to get interesting come January.
If Romney (the older, whiter version of Barry) wins, I give it maybe 13 more months.
I'm hoping neither of those two win but we've gotta wait out the republican process.
I'm mostly seeing the economy going down and ill prepared/inner city folks not being able to handle the uptick in grocery prices leading to riots and looting of said stores. Then we'll see further price increases as well as supply chain interruptions.
It's not the only scenario but I believe something like that to be very possible.

Moose-Knuckle
02-14-12, 17:18
I ad to go with OTHER.

I think that the most realistic will be a combo. Such as; some type of pandemic/ health issue will lead to an economic fall and so forth. Or it could be an economic slump that causes a "Technological" (your definition).

I'm with the Doc.

SMETNA
02-14-12, 17:32
(go go gadget tin foil!)

OTHER: NDAA is used by the DHS to black-bag and disappear prominent vocal critics of the federal governments' knack for subverting and abrogating the constitution. Pockets of armed rebellion break out.

Unlikely, but, they didn't pass it for no reason.

OTHER 2: This summer when the U.N. pushes for their small arms treaty, Obama gets enough senators behind him to pass the piece of shit. Within weeks, FFLs and manufacturers are raided and have mountains of property stolen to "comply" with the new law. People get pissed and pockets of armed rebellion break out.

All that stands in the way of that treaty becoming law here is 60-some-odd people. Pretty scary.

Voodoo_Man
02-14-12, 18:07
Terrorist.

In my opinion we are more likely to see a massive terrorist attack than anything else in the time soon (this includes domestic)

Caeser25
02-14-12, 19:01
Economic event that leads to WW3 because everybody is pointing fingers at each other instead of the system that was built to crash and lead to one world government.

Moose-Knuckle
02-14-12, 19:23
Economic event that leads to WW3 because everybody is pointing fingers at each other instead of the system that was built to crash and lead to one world government.

I'm in line with this, but again why I chose "Other" is that I see a multi angled hit. False flag "terrorists" attacks, hard kill (pandemic), economical ruin, etc. The masses would beg for anyone to come to their "rescue".

Like lambs to the slaughter. . .

Dave L.
02-14-12, 22:19

I agree, but I believe it will be the current economic situation erupting in conjunction with, or because of, something else.

Caeser25
02-15-12, 19:19
I'm in line with this, but again why I chose "Other" is that I see a multi angled hit. False flag "terrorists" attacks, hard kill (pandemic), economical ruin, etc. The masses would beg for anyone to come to their "rescue".

Exactly. Expect chaos for a little while. Nobody will be begging while times are good.

Edit: I agree. I think economic will be the spearhead. Technically it already is, and has been since 1913. Once the sheeple cannot be drained of any more wealth, it's game over. Invest your fiat currency wisely into something tangible.

LoboTBL
02-15-12, 23:21
What? No "All of the above" option? Seriously, any of these things could happen.

As to what will likely be the cause of SHTF situation... We all tend to vary in our opinions on what exactly SHTF situation is, and that's understandable. SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, WWIII, collapse of economic systems around the world, tsunamis, supervolcanic eruptions, re-election of Obama, zombie apocalypse, Mayan prophecy, alien invasion, cancellation of the Kardashian's show etc...

The argument can be made that we are already in the midst of Economic catastrophe and that this is likely to bring about repurcussions of Technological and Terroristic nature.

So called "typical" Natural Disasters aren't likely to result in previously unheard of situations. "Non-Typical" Natural Disasters are something else entirely. Substantial CME could wreak havoc with the power grid and communications systems. Major volcanic eruptions/seismic events here or elsewhere in the world would certainly impact the immediate area as well as have far reaching effects worldwide.

Although recent outbreaks of different influenza strains haven't quite turned out to be the devastating pandemics they had the potential to be, it doesn't mean the next mutation of the virus will be as contained.

I doubt we have seen the worst of terrorist attacks yet.

Endur
02-15-12, 23:48
Revolution.. maybe just because we need one..

R.P.
02-16-12, 10:59

This.
I originally voted economic but after reading a few posts I think this is the most likely scenario to occur.

fireftrjef
02-16-12, 11:24
I voted technological.

Like if the ATM/Debit card network gets hacked and knocked down, and it takes a few days for them to figure out where the problem is.

Figure the majority lives on their card day to day, and keeps barely any cash or food handy. I just imagine the chaos.

extrication
02-16-12, 12:18
The next big problem is going to be panic. Just like a bunch of teenage girls working themselves into a frenzy over nothing. The news channels and government like to keep you in fear to justify their worth. Then grown men start blogging about it and soon it hits the gun forums. Grow up and stop acting like little girls. I don't care if you live in a state of fear. Stop sharing your worries. There are plenty of men left who will come to save you if there is a big problem. If you guys start talking about your favorite brand of tampons, I'll know the end is near.

Endur
02-16-12, 12:32
The next big problem is going to be panic. Just like a bunch of teenage girls working themselves into a frenzy over nothing. The news channels and government like to keep you in fear to justify their worth. Then grown men start blogging about it and soon it hits the gun forums. Grow up and stop acting like little girls. I don't care if you live in a state of fear. Stop sharing your worries. There are plenty of men left who will come to save you if there is a big problem. If you guys start talking about your favorite brand of tampons, I'll know the end is near.

Sounds like someone stained their maxi pad.

Moose-Knuckle
02-16-12, 13:30

Yeah your right, the emperor’s clothes are just fine. :rolleyes:

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, next time you want to troll you may want to stay out of this particular sub-forum.

Irish
02-16-12, 13:48
I chose technological for several different reasons and the biggest one being centered around people hacking our critical infrastructures. One of the primary reasons is the fact that bad guys have already been probing and succeeding in computer attacks against critical infrastructures in our country. Also, they can attack us from anywhere in the world and retain relatively anonymous and secure.

A security researcher was able to locate and map more than 10,000 industrial control systems hooked up to the public internet, including water and sewage plants, and found that many could be open to easy hack attacks, due to lax security practices.

Gotrovr
02-16-12, 13:52
all the above, led by Terrorist/Nation-State Attack.... just saying

SMETNA
02-16-12, 15:18
The news channels and government like to keep you in fear to justify their worth.

This is VERY sound wisdom. It's too bad you wrapped it up into a bitch ass insult.

We live in such a baneful time that anyone who doesn't see it is suffering from a psychosis of some sort.

Just a Jarhead
02-16-12, 15:28

I think my tag line's say it best tough guy. Cause you be brimming with bravado and simpleton! Yee ha...brass ring for you homie, way to go!

22 posts to your name and you come blazin in here like that. Freaking idiot. Add idiot to the list. Extrication..LOL. you need to Extricate your head out of your ass and grow the hell up. Shouldn't you be over at the Justin Bieber website forum little boy?

No one, absoultely no one, with a modicum of maturity or common sense would have come in here like you did. What youre going to find when you grow up and have been around the block a few times like many of us here, is that those that feel they have the need to act like Billy Jo Badass on the outside, are really Suzie's in a dress on the inside.

Everybody say "hello" to Suzie.

ETA: to clean up a bit.

alienb1212
02-16-12, 18:09
all the above, led by Terrorist/Nation-State Attack.... just saying

you mean the United States?

usmoneylover
02-16-12, 22:36
I voted economical collapse...this will result in tecnological collapse, or vise versa. Gonna be a bad day in the neighborhood for people whos only way to get food is to buy it.

The_War_Wagon
02-16-12, 23:15
Terrorism: Obama gets re-elected! :eek: :fie:

Rampant Colt
02-16-12, 23:18
I voted natural disaster, because i'm afraid this year will be a replay of what happened last year. So far so good..

K.L. Davis
02-17-12, 07:08
The end of this thread is near... If you don't like the content of this thread, simply do not read it.

Gotrovr
02-17-12, 11:30
you mean the United States?
Happened before...
Is anyone that naive to think it will never happen again?

Hypothetically, when it does, it will trigger a further weakening of or collapse of the economy, followed by marshal law, censoring the internet and social media/communications. A pandemic or attack on our water supply would likely follow.... A regional natural disaster would then be icing on the cake. Just saying......

docsherm
02-17-12, 22:40

I am one of those guys that you speak of and i can tell you something for sure......you are f@#$ed. With an attatude like yours you will not last long
Sorry, truth hurts.

ashooter
02-18-12, 07:50
Some people are violently opposed to having the wool pulled off from over their eyes. Because of that, we who pay attention are called "paranoid" or "Chicken Little"...
:rolleyes:

I voted "ecomomic collapse" because I think that's a given. No matter who moves into the White House next year, no matter what the Fed or any other central bank does, no matter what OPEC does, the economy is f*#ked because of all the Keynesian/psuedocapitalist manipulations of the past 40+ years. It's too far gone to save.

However, I agree that any of the other scenarios could (and probably will) act as a catalyst to make the slow grind-down of the economy turn into a free-fall. Best case scenario will probably look like the 1930's.

...Damn, I'm feeling optimistic today, aren't I?
:blink:

Caeser25
02-18-12, 09:37
Some people are violently opposed to having the wool pulled off from over their eyes. Because of that, we who pay attention are called "paranoid" or "Chicken Little"...
:rolleyes:

I voted "ecomomic collapse" because I think that's a given. No matter who moves into the White House next year, no matter what the Fed or any other central bank does, no matter what OPEC does, the economy is f*#ked because of all the Keynesian/psuedocapitalist manipulations of the past 40+ years. It's too far gone to save.

However, I agree that any of the other scenarios could (and probably will) act as a catalyst to make the slow grind-down of the economy turn into a free-fall. Best case scenario will probably look like the 1930's.

...Damn, I'm feeling optimistic today, aren't I?
:blink:

I tried pull the wool off my friends eyes last night that was home on leave about the fractional reserve banking system and how everything around us, roads, bridges etc. is financed with ever expanding debt. His answer for everything was the government can just print more money or he can just make more. So with statement we went into the gold standard and inflation. His answer to that was we can just use another countries money. I then tried to start at the beginning of why we have money and circle back. It was like trying to debate a lefty hippie using facts, logic and history. We finally agreed to disagree when there was a bit of sunshine breaking through the clouds when he said he doesn't care as long he can provide for his family. I guess he just won't get it until we have hyperinflation and he can't afford to buy food for his family.

Currency collapse is nothing new. It's different this time because:

-most of our food is trucked in from hundreds and thousands of miles away. alot of people don't have a skill or tangible items of value to barter with for food.

- water is piped into your home from a treatment plant, not a well in your backyard.

- we have a huuuuge entitlement society around the world that expects others to take care of them.

- we have many, many, many more hardened criminals than anytime in history.

It truly is a perfect storm.

Moose-Knuckle
02-18-12, 12:14

-most of our food is trucked in from hundreds and thousands of miles away. alot of people don't have a skill or tangible items of value to barter with for food.

- water is piped into your home from a treatment plant, not a well in your backyard.

- we have a huuuuge entitlement society around the world that expects others to take care of them.

This.

Back in '29 when the Great Depression began Americans were way more independent than they are today. My grandfather for example, was in his early teens and grew up on a farm in Iowa. They had well water, crops, livestock, etc. Times were hard but they could eat. People then knew how to harvest crops and slaughter/process animals. Now days most would starve if they can't get it out of a can, box, package, and or the line at the drive-thru.

duece71
02-18-12, 13:04
I tried pull the wool off my friends eyes last night that was home on leave about the fractional reserve banking system and how everything around us, roads, bridges etc. is financed with ever expanding debt. His answer for everything was the government can just print more money or he can just make more. So with statement we went into the gold standard and inflation. His answer to that was we can just use another countries money. I then tried to start at the beginning of why we have money and circle back. It was like trying to debate a lefty hippie using facts, logic and history. We finally agreed to disagree when there was a bit of sunshine breaking through the clouds when he said he doesn't care as long he can provide for his family. I guess he just won't get it until we have hyperinflation and he can't afford to buy food for his family.

Yep and agreed. People are comfortable in knowing that the basics (food, clean water, shelter) come easy right now. I voted Terrorist just because if 9/11 can happen once, it can happen again.

lil'Zeus
02-19-12, 09:27
I think it will start with an economic failure due to hyperinflation and the cost of goods rising. Mostly centering around oil/energy issues which we are begining to see. This will cause the first fold of the failure. Once everyone has the attitude of not going to work or no work to go to and stay home to tend to household/family duties, we have a technological failure approaching. If not one is around to run various parts of our infastructure it will then fail. Such as grid issues and power problems, commuications will be sacraficed so on and so forth. That being the second fold. Then once that happens a pandemic could be an issue because once the CDC goes away along with all other forms of governmental control and its broken around the country (or whats left) you will see common colds and viruses taking its toll on the people. Issues that never would have been a problem under our current conditions.

JMO
Shane

amac
02-19-12, 21:20

This will be the reason people take to the streets. When you rely on someone else for the essence of life, you officially loose control of your own.

I vote economic issues will be the root cause of any SHTF. However, I believe inflation will be the catalyst. Our government has too many loans on the books and a 2-3% increase in the cost of their debt will bring austerity home to roost. Too many people rely on government checks. Couple a 30% cut in pay, with hyperinflation and you get home invasions, muggings and gun point robbery.

How long will it take the National Guard to be ordered to take the streets? To create order at the grocery stores? And pharmacy? It seems the NDAA and equipping of FEMA camps may be timely.

Still, I'm an optimist and believe the best rebellious use of the trigger finger is pushing the vote button. Remove the sitting congress people at the voter booth and replace them with sensible Americans that don't owe favors and push legislation based on who donates to their campaign. Hopefully, the Tea Party will act like a virus and eat the establishment from the inside out. The end may be near, but it's never too late!

LMT42
02-19-12, 21:52

Wow, someone on a gun forum that gets it, and doesn't try to blame one political party or the other. Well done.

I'll take economic collapse as well. Greece is on the verge and who knows what will happen when they default. The rest of the pigs are right behind them. Things don't look good for the EU. There's the 500 trillion unregulated derivatives market too. US banks are insolvent and propped up by the FED. Housing and jobs are being propped up as well. Oil at $100 and war with Iran seems imminent. I could go on all night, but I won't bore everyone. Luckily, I can count on Extrication to save me.

Caeser25
02-20-12, 14:56
This will be the reason people take to the streets. When you rely on someone else for the essence of life, you officially loose control of your own.

I vote economic issues will be the root cause of any SHTF. However, I believe inflation will be the catalyst. Our government has too many loans on the books and a 2-3% increase in the cost of their debt will bring austerity home to roost. Too many people rely on government checks. Couple a 30% cut in pay, with hyperinflation and you get home invasions, muggings and gun point robbery.

How long will it take the National Guard to be ordered to take the streets? To create order at the grocery stores? And pharmacy? It seems the NDAA and equipping of FEMA camps may be timely.

Still, I'm an optimist and believe the best rebellious use of the trigger finger is pushing the vote button. Remove the sitting congress people at the voter booth and replace them with sensible Americans that don't owe favors and push legislation based on who donates to their campaign. Hopefully, the Tea Party will act like a virus and eat the establishment from the inside out. The end may be near, but it's never too late!

I agree hyperinflation will be the catalyst but I think the plan is allowing chaos and the sheeple will begging for FEMA and the hammer. Or we are all wrong and it's a long slow decline. It does seems like the crazy train is picking up speed faster and faster as most of the puzzle pieces are in place.

ashooter
02-20-12, 15:43
Wow, someone on a gun forum that gets it, and doesn't try to blame one political party or the other. Well done...

Yeah, there are a few others here who get it.

I said Keynesian/psuedocapitalist b.s. for 40+ years (since Nixon abandoned the gold standard), but I could have just as easily said 20 years (since Clinton repealed Glass-Steagall), or 70 years (since FDR implemented Keynes' lunacy), or 100 years (since the Fed took over the monetary system), or 150 years (since Lincoln gutted the Constitution)... but then I would have to give people a history lesson.

Oops! I went and did it, didn't I?

Oh well, screw 'em... They can give themselves a history lesson, just as I did.
;)

Caeser25
02-20-12, 19:31
I think Lincoln was trying to save the republic not undermine the tenth amendment and the rest of the constitution.

SMETNA
02-21-12, 18:04
I think Lincoln was trying to save the republic not undermine the tenth amendment and the rest of the constitution.

Save the republic by forcing people at gunpoint to stay a part of it?

"If you won't be my friend, I will kill you" - Abraham Lincoln

Dirty Dee
02-21-12, 23:31

The same reasons I also think economic is most likely.

Punisher1336
02-23-12, 12:29
I always hold out hope for the ZPAW, as it will make a most interesting scenario.

rkba01
02-23-12, 14:34
Oops! I went and did it, didn't I?
http://i42.tinypic.com/24q5sig.jpg